Found Deceased MO - Sebastian Husted, 18, Mercer County, 22 Jan 2018

still missing: Missing Persons

showImage.aspx

I tried contacting Websleuths about sharing Facebook links but didn't get a reply, so I'm hoping this is okay! (It is a public post.)

Obviously this is from a while back (Oct 2018) but if you read the post and comments, you can get an idea of how Ty's case has been handled.

As for the department with jurisdiction over the case, this is their contact page. On it, a quote by Edmund Burke is displayed and some text that I encourage everyone to read after the Facebook post. The site has been up for quite a while, surely long before Ty went missing, but considering how they've handled the case, I can't help but wonder who thought these few paragraphs were a good fit for this agency's site.

If anyone knows a higher organization who could possibly look into Ty's case or the location where he went missing (the property owner has said that anyone caught trespassing will be prosecuted) I'd like to know those options.

Perhaps the only issue here is that the sheriff's office isn't enough of an authority to thoroughly investigate Ty's case. Either way, unless someone else gets involved, it looks as though Ty's case won't progress further without finding someone else who can help.

He worked for Des Moines Mobile Wash, Inc. and both men had a job power washing a barn out near Lineville, about 40 miles away. He made it to work that day (Jan 22nd), but didn’t seem to make it home. His co-worker said he just walked away from the barn, which the family disputes especially since it was in freezing cold temperatures.

Gone without a trace: Iowa teen still missing 9 months later

Oddly, the co-worker went missing around that same time. His family was actively looking for him Jan 23, 24. They found the work truck and the co-worker eventually showed up claiming his innocence and no knowledge as to where Ty went.
Where did you see that the coworker went missing?

Where did you see that the coworker went missing?

Not OP, but I know the girlfriend of the coworker posted on Facebook during that time that he was missing. Her Facebook is now either private or deactivated.
Edit: I took hella screenshots of anything I thought would be relevant in case anything would be deleted later, so if anyone from Websleuths needs proof, I come prepared. It was at the time a public post.

Not OP, but I know the girlfriend of the coworker posted on Facebook during that time that he was missing. Her Facebook is now either private or deactivated.
Edit: I took hella screenshots of anything I thought would be relevant in case anything would be deleted later, so if anyone from Websleuths needs proof, I come prepared. It was at the time a public post.
I was going to look into the case for a blog post but nothing has been reported since 2019. It’s horrible, even the Facebook group stops after last January.
I live in Iowa and the media coverage of this case was absolutely horrible. I think I heard 2, maybe 3 stories about this one and the rest about another disappearance.

Molly Tibbets got a ton of coverage but when she was found, nobody bothered to continue covering other cases. Mollie's Movement was started during that time though to help with other missing person cases, and they've printed flyers and tee shirts for Ty, but aside from that, there's not much they can do without a legal authority.

I'm from the same town as Ty so I've messaged back and forth with his sister about the case and have been following it. If you need to know anything about the case for your blog post I can tell you whatever I know.

I doubt any of the seriously specific details would be allowed here, but the coworkers name isn't a secret locally. Unfortunately because of the rumor rules here, I don't want to go into a ton of detail just for it to be wiped out.

Molly Tibbets got a ton of coverage but when she was found, nobody bothered to continue covering other cases. Mollie's Movement was started during that time though to help with other missing person cases, and they've printed flyers and tee shirts for Ty, but aside from that, there's not much they can do without a legal authority.

I'm from the same town as Ty so I've messaged back and forth with his sister about the case and have been following it. If you need to know anything about the case for your blog post I can tell you whatever I know.

I doubt any of the seriously specific details would be allowed here, but the coworkers name isn't a secret locally. Unfortunately because of the rumor rules here, I don't want to go into a ton of detail just for it to be wiped out.
So far most of the media coverage stated he was just there one minute and gone the next or “just walked away” there’s barely any information and I think that had a lot to do with his case not advancing.
I’m happy with any info I can get

So far most of the media coverage stated he was just there one minute and gone the next or “just walked away” there’s barely any information and I think that had a lot to do with his case not advancing.
I’m happy with any info I can get

The sheriff's department with jurisdiction should have contacted a higher authority a long time ago for help with the case. Based off of what the coworker has said, I honestly believe that if the property were searched with GPR, we'd have confirmation of what happened to Ty, but for that, they would either need the property owner's permission or a warrant, and it doesn't seem the sheriff's department care to get either.
I had contacted Iowa DCI a while back. Since Ty is missing from Missouri, they can't do anything, and even if the case were in Iowa, they would have to be requested to help.
I imagine if a Missouri equivalent were contacted by the Mercer County Sheriff's Department, they could have a chance at advancing the case, but they've pretty much shown they're uninterested in going any further.

The sheriff's department with jurisdiction should have contacted a higher authority a long time ago for help with the case. Based off of what the coworker has said, I honestly believe that if the property were searched with GPR, we'd have confirmation of what happened to Ty, but for that, they would either need the property owner's permission or a warrant, and it doesn't seem the sheriff's department care to get either.
I had contacted Iowa DCI a while back. Since Ty is missing from Missouri, they can't do anything, and even if the case were in Iowa, they would have to be requested to help.
I imagine if a Missouri equivalent were contacted by the Mercer County Sheriff's Department, they could have a chance at advancing the case, but they've pretty much shown they're uninterested in going any further.
I feel like we’re stuck in a loop at this point.
No new info because case is cold, case is cold because not enough info. If they continued to pursue anything (maybe other people who worked on the site that day) perhaps someone could remember something at least. MOO

Ty has been missing for 2 years and 2 days now. Ty missed seeing his son be born and his first birthday, soon he will have missed his second. Atleast one person, probably more, know exactly what happened to him and they need to come forward so Ty can be brought home to his family.

The day that Ty and his coworker (I don't remember if the name was revealed yet in the thread so leaving it out because rules) left for work, they were caught on security camera leaving the Junction Inn motel. Police have the video. CW had
left some things behind in his room. Since CW and Ty both lived in the same apartment building it's suspicious to me that he had a motel room. Will update if I get more details...

Some of the articles have been a bit confusing about the location where Ty worked and went missing. Obviously they can't give an address or anything that specific for legal reasons, but does anyone know/can anyone say anything more specific about it?

Different articles have said Lineville, Mercer County, south of Lineville or Mercer County... All I've seen for sure is the place is privately owned and had security cameras. According to the search organization the property was also leased out for hunting, so I expect there's a wooded area nearby. The only hog farm immediately noticeable in the area on Google maps belongs to the Smithfield company, but we know that's not where Ty worked.

The organization that was going to do the search was based out Saint Joseph Missouri, and they said that LE said they had searched the area thoroughly already. That doesn't make any sense to me since they were never given permission to search the one property where the owner even said he'd prosecute trespassers. Adding that to the fact that the search was called off completely even though they had permission to search some properties just comes off suspicious to me, especially in addition to what the family was told at that time and how the case has been handled overall.

I understand people not trusting LE and denying them access to search their property, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if some of the info put out there was made up. Hazmat from Saint Jo did drain and search the hog pit, which we know from the picture taken (I highly doubt everyone involved would fake that) but we know it was weeks after Ty disappeared, and the attempt to search came even after that. I wonder if either information is being kept secret or LE is staying quiet knowing the case has been mishandled. (The department with jurisdiction over the case already has a bad reputation from what I've seen.)

Also, does anyone happen to know a public email address for the Mercer Co. prosecuting attorney? Ryan Horsman is the current prosecuting attorney I believe, but I've never been able to find an email address to contact him/his office.

Reactions: Dre
OCT 25, 2021
The search is still on for an Albia man who’s been missing for 37 years )
Mark Milligan, the Albia man who has been searching for his missing brother for over 30 years has joined forces with another individual to help locate their missing family member as well. He says he doesn’t want anyone to have to search as long as he has. “I don’t want to see his story be 37 years later before his family gets an answer,” says Milligan.

He and a few others have so far placed four out of seven signs around Albia and Moravia of not only his brother Harry but also of a man by the name of Sebastion Husted, who was reported missing since January of 2018.

[...]

He says both pictures are on the sides of the billboard that are facing the towns from which they went missing. “Leave Centerville heading north of Albia you’ll see Harry, coming south going to Centerville you’ll see Ty,” Kaster explains.

[...]

I came across this case doing some research on David Schultz, who went missing in Iowa back in November.

What shame this case hasn't received the attention it deserves. It seems solvable, in that the person/place he was last seen with/at - is very suspicious and holds the key to what happened to Ty. For those of you who have followed this case, is LE still actively working to solve this?

The day that Ty and his coworker (I don't remember if the name was revealed yet in the thread so leaving it out because rules) left for work, they were caught on security camera leaving the Junction Inn motel. Police have the video. CW had
left some things behind in his room. Since CW and Ty both lived in the same apartment building it's suspicious to me that he had a motel room. Will update if I get more details...
Can anyone clear this up and let me know if I've gotten it wrong. From everything I've pieced together from various articles and the family's Facebook page and comments:

So JT (coworker) picks up Ty to drive him to work. Yet they lived in the same apartment complex, so where was Ty picked up from? Then instead of driving to work, they drove to a motel and are caught on camera leaving together. Then they go to work, clean the barn, and then Ty texts his brother to be picked up because JT is acting weird and aggressive. No one hears from him again.

JT first claims Ty was taking too long to change, so he left him. But Ty's clothing was subsequently found in JTs car? (Unsure if the clothing was his regular clothes or his work clothes). Then JT says they had a flat tyre and Ty just disappeared while changing it. He then says Ty just walked off as he claimed JT was acting weird.

So it seems the last "reason" lines up well with what Ty told him brother.
JT subsequently seems to disappear and then reappear and left some of his stuff in his hotel room. It seems unknown why he had a hotel room when he had an apartment. He then makes some interesting comments on social media which I won't share here but it is fairly easy to find.

I'd love to know an exact timeline, ie what time Ty was collected, how long they were at the motel room and when they got to work.

I really feel LE have missed the boat here. JT quite clearly knows something, even if he isn't guilty!

Remains found in northeast Mercer County on private property about 3pm today. No word yet on who they may belong to. Posting here since Sebastian was reported missing from this county in 2018.

April 23, 2024

(MERCER COUNTY, Mo.) The Missouri State Highway Patrol is investigating after human remains were found in Mercer County.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back