MT MT - Renee Arcand, 36, camping at Fish Intake near Glendive, one dog found 15 mi away, one dog missing, 27 Jun 2023

JUL 18, 2023
[...]

Land searches have been conducted in Dawson County, utilizing two search and rescue dogs, and one cadaver dog was taken out on a search and rescue boat.

There have been daily searches in Richland County, which is down river from Intake Fishing Access Site, including helicopter coverage and drone searches. On June 8 and 9 two boats conducted searches in Richland County. Officials have notified downstream communities and have searched the Yellowstone River from Intake Fishing Access Site to the Confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers, a distance of approximately 70 miles. Badlands Search and Rescue, Watford City, ND, has also recently joined the efforts to locate the missing woman. However, the river is very high and the water is muddy, making water efforts difficult.

"We are still searching, but we're at Mother Nature's mercy," commented Sheriff Canen. "We have been doing a lot of behind the scenes work to retrace her last three days and we have a good handle on the timeline."

Canen added that although they do not have any eyewitnesses that saw Arcand go into the water, it is their best guess that is what happened.

[...]

s_topTEMP900x420-7550.jpeg

Renee Arcand (Photo) provided by Arcand family)

Where are you, Renee?
Thanks, PommyMommy for the above article.
The River is so dang high now, that’s a real concern.
However..the ‘companion’s actions stump me.
He couldn’t find her, so he decided to take her vehicle and dogs and drive back 5 hours to Bufffalo Gap, just in case she had up and decided to abandon all her property and pets and snag a ride 5 hours away and just forgot to mention it?
Holy run-on sentence lol.
Doesn’t make sense, to me.

Where are you, Renee?
Thanks, PommyMommy for the above article.
The River is so dang high now, that’s a real concern.
However..the ‘companion’s actions stump me.
He couldn’t find her, so he decided to take her vehicle and dogs and drive back 5 hours to Bufffalo Gap, just in case she had up and decided to abandon all her property and pets and snag a ride 5 hours away and just forgot to mention it?
Holy run-on sentence lol.
Doesn’t make sense, to me.

Where did you see he was going to Buffalo Gap? I haven’t heard that! It’s only like 40-50mi away though. It’s a small campground right off the interstate.

Eta: Nevermind, I read the whole article. I really wish they’d tell us more about the companion. He had her car. Intake is 15mi from the interstate. Why would he look for her at Buffalo Gap? My current theory is he was driving the backroads where the 1 dog was found trying to get to the other side of the river.

Last edited:
JUL 19, 2023
[...]

Dawson County Sheriff Ross Canen said Wednesday that search and rescue teams have been searching for Arcand by boat, plane, and on the ground and those efforts continue.

Canen said Arcand was reported missing by a travel companion who said he last saw Arcand while the pair were sleeping in a car at the campsite with two dogs in a vehicle. Arcand's companion says when he woke up, Arcand was gone. Her companion reported her missing Friday, June 30.

[...]

Arcand is originally from Wisconsin and had been working at the Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch in the North Dakota Badlands. Canen said Arcand and her travel companion were coworkers.

Arcand's two dogs were camping with them, but one dog is now missing in a separate but related incident. Canen said after Arcand went missing, her travel companion was driving back to North Dakota and let the dogs out to go to the bathroom. Both dogs ran away. Arcand's larger dog returned but her smaller dog, shown in Arcand's missing person poster, did not. Canen said the small dog is missing near the Montana-North Dakota state line.

[...]

And now the story has changed a bit. First they were camping near the river. Now they were sleeping in her car. So were they sleeping by the river or were they sleeping in the car in the campground? You can’t drive closer to the river..

The dog went missing 15mi East of Glendive. I don’t consider that near the border when you’re talking about an animal. The ND border is approx. 35mi from Glendive. 20mi farther than were they said the dogs ran away from.

I’d also read on other FB posts that she was going to apply for a job at home on the range (youth facility not far from Buffalo Gap) but I didn’t get the impression she was in western ND all that long. I’m hoping she was hitchhiking and was picked up, and not in the River

Canen said Arcand was reported missing by a travel companion who said he last saw Arcand while the pair were sleeping in a car at the campsite with two dogs in a vehicle. Arcand's companion says when he woke up, Arcand was gone. Her companion reported her missing Friday, June 30.

Renee Arcand

Dawson Co. Sheriff's Office
There were no eyewitnesses who saw Arcand go into the nearby Yellowstone River, but Canen says the best assumption is that she did.

The Yellowstone River remains high for this time of year, and the river is muddy with many tree snags and hazards in the water.

Arcand is originally from Wisconsin and had been working at the Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch in the North Dakota Badlands. Canen said Arcand and her travel companion were coworkers.

Arcand's two dogs were camping with them, but one dog is now missing in a separate but related incident. Canen said after Arcand went missing, her travel companion was driving back to North Dakota and let the dogs out to go to the bathroom. Both dogs ran away. Arcand's larger dog returned but her smaller dog, shown in Arcand's missing person poster, did not. Canen said the small dog is missing near the Montana-North Dakota state line.
A missing person poster for Renee Arcand and her small dog, who are missing in separate areas.

1690098917759.png

As a woman who often camps and travels with my dog, I can't imagine waking up to explore outside my car and my dog not coming along with me. Of course all dog personalities differ, but it stands out to me.
I agree. If the account of her companion is accurate, this sounds more like she may have gotten up to use the restroom and not returned. Something quick that would not require bringing the dogs or waking her companion.

Do we have outside confirmation she was on this camping excursion? Important to have the "last seen by" but also the "last seen before that" so they aren't searching somewhere she never was.

Is this part if the timeline nailed down? I assume she interacted with, was seen by other campers, but it seems like a fair question to ask.

Jmo

Do we have outside confirmation she was on this camping excursion? Important to have the "last seen by" but also the "last seen before that" so they aren't searching somewhere she never was.

Is this part if the timeline nailed down? I assume she interacted with, was seen by other campers, but it seems like a fair question to ask.

Jmo

In one of the 1st reports of her missing (or maybe Facebook where her family was answering questions) it was confirmed that she was seen at intake by a couple other people on the 27th. The campground is small with a couple single outhouses and separated from the river by trees

And as so many locals have wondered.. who is this companion. Where are they now? Maybe somebody saw them and could narrow down whether this person could have been involved or not.

River is down quite a bit and with the heat we’re expecting this week, I’m sure it’ll drop more.

Noting:

“We've had drones, we've had helicopters, we've had cadaver dogs, side sonar on boats, land searches, water searches—we just need to find Renee," Canen said this week.

Her plan was to go to Oregon, but in the last week of June, she stopped to camp in Glendive with a man she had been working with at the ranch.

Later, the man told law enforcement that he went to sleep in Arcand's car with her two dogs inside but when he woke up, Arcand was gone—her dogs, car and possessions left behind.

While the last day she was seen was June 27, Arcand's companion didn't report her missing until Friday, June 30.

“It was explained to us why there was a gap of time," Canen said. "Everything's on the table right now, but it seems reasonable why there was a gap in time and we have put together her last five days and are pretty confident we know what she was up to prior to coming here camping. So far this companion story has checked out.”

One of Arcand's dogs is now missing in a separate but related incident. Canen said after Arcand went missing, her travel companion was driving back to North Dakota and let the dogs out to go to the bathroom. Both dogs ran away. Arcand's larger dog returned but her smaller dog, shown in Arcand's missing person poster, did not. Canen said the small dog is missing near the Montana-North Dakota state line.

Arcand's case has drawn the attention of other experts in the field, including Charlene Sleeper, who spearheads a Billings-based search group for missing and murdered Indigenous people.

The exit where the larger dog was found, there's not many hiding places for the dogs... And who would just leave the dogs without finding them? There is a farm nearby and he could have asked for help catching the dogs. I know I wouldn't just leave the dogs behind but I also have empathy.

AUG 7, 2023
Search and rescue operations took place over the weekend for a missing woman last seen near Glendive.

The Dawson Country Sheriff’s Office and Badland Search and Rescue traveled along the Yellowstone River from the Fish Intake to Savage but were unable to find 36-year-old Renee Arcand. In a Facebook Post Sunday, the Sheriff said Arcand’s status as a missing person has not changed.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
combszola
Back