NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

I don’t know why but I’m interested to know what the weather was like that day. February can be a bit of a wild card.

Are you sure you got weather for Leland, NC? It says Winston Salem, NC. There's a tremendous difference in the weather for these two areas.
Pardon me, thank you for catching it, hope this is the correct one.!

7:00 AM36 °F34 °F93 %NNE12 mph0 mph30.32 in0.1 inCloudy
8:00 AM36 °F34 °F93 %NNE14 mph0 mph30.33 in0.1 inCloudy
8:10 AM0 °F0 °F0 %NNE14 mph0 mph30.34 in0.0 inCloudy
9:00 AM36 °F34 °F93 %NNE15 mph0 mph30.34 in0.0 inCloudy
10:00 AM37 °F35 °F93 %NNE15 mph23 mph30.34 in0.0 inCloudy
11:00 AM38 °F37 °F97 %NNE14 mph20 mph30.34 in0.1 inCloudy
12:00 PM40 °F39 °F97 %NNE17 mph0 mph30.32 in0.0 inCloudy
1:00 PM41 °F39 °F93 %NE14 mph22 mph30.32 in0.0 inCloudy
2:00 PM41 °F40 °F96 %NNE13 mph22 mph30.30 in0.1 inCloudy
3:00 PM42 °F41 °F96 %NNE13 mph22 mph30.28 in0.1 inCloudy

Welcome to Ws @Olivier La Buse!
Could not find an update for the DNA, but this case has been brought forward to Othram and they are amazing at identifying people, hoping one day that this will be one of those resolved cases too.
Thanks mate ! I think @othram has been reading this for a while. Let's hope he finds out who this guy is or at least get some clues.

There was dna found under their finger nails that they refused to test to either rule out or rule in Hennis.
I think eye witness was most important, seeing this man nearby house and the exact match car as well at 3 am, was credible evidence. His neighbours have reported that he burnt something unusual in the barrel in the garden, they thought that was strange(Dr. Morris has video on his YouTube cannel, interviewing people) . That particular jacket was taken to dry cleaner which was described by the eye withness. So, a lot of coincidences and plus DNA

Last edited:
I think eye witness was most important, seeing this man nearby house and the exact match car as well at 3 am, was credible evidence. His neighbours have reported that he burnt something unusual in the barrel in the garden, they thought that was strange(Dr. Morris has video on his YouTube cannel, interviewing people) . That particular jacket was taken to dry cleaner which was described by the eye withness. So, a lot of coincidences and plus DNA
It seems our posts were deleted for some reason.

But now on Mintz's case , mentioning other poster's opinion in this thread : Yes the killer apparently entered by the back door, hence nobody saw anything. It might have not been a case of "visible in plain sight".

So leaving the front door afterwards does not seem logical. One may wonder why the front door was then left open.

And this case never gets a solution. Nobody has ever seen anything.

Last edited:
Good day all. That's a good one! By the way any news on DNA exams?

It seems our posts were deleted for some reason.

But now on Mintz's case , mentioning other poster's opinion in this thread : Yes the killer apparently entered by the back door, hence nobody saw anything. It might have not been a case of "visible in plain sight".

So leaving the front door afterwards does not seem logical. One may wonder why the front door was then left open.

And this case never gets a solution. Nobody has ever seen anything.
Yes, it's so methoditical ;it's difficult to get the head around. Every corner, I look there are question marks. This killer must have done this before or he is just experienced in type of crime investigations.
He must have been in such a rush he may have not even think about leaving the house from where he entered. He has fleed basically.
I'm guessing this person definitely from her work environment. He may be known to her through her colleagues.did they even interview her work colleques?

I thought it was revealed that it was the neighbor who bore a resemblance to Hennis, also owned a Members Only jacket, and also drove a like model that was seen near the Eastburn residence. There are alot of “coincidences” if you want to call it that, but that’s not unusual for any case. DNA only proved that he had intercourse with her, which he lied about because he was a married man at the time. Its not far fetched to believe that they had an affair, its actually quite common on military bases, and amongst military spouses when the service-member is deployed or away. At any rate, any unrelated DNA should be tested to help solve other similar unrelated crimes, such as Beverly’s case. I think the fact that Mrs. Eastburn and Ms. Mintz both placed classified ads, received strange phone calls, etc, could point to a potential serial killer who targeted those type of women. Also, if Hennis committed other similar crimes, then he should be held accountable for those as well.

I'm new to this case, but have a few thoughts to share, if I may. If the younger son's account is accurate, the perpetrator might have been a delivery driver of some sort (or posing as one). There may have been just enough time lapse between the knock, and her answering the door, for the perpetrator to hide just out of view, until the door was open. A delivery driver would not likely arouse suspicion with anyone casually glancing that way.
The reference to the peculiar knot-tying could be explained by military service, or past work experience with a marina.
The perpetrator may have been a regular customer at the restaurant where Beverly worked. That would give him opportunity to become familiar with her dates, habits, schedule, etc. He could be the quiet one, who just blends in with the furniture.
Has that son ever undergone hypnosis with a forensic sketch artist? Forgive me if any of these ideas have already been mentioned or disproven.
That is a good point. I don't think they did.the memory flash back over the years even if it's bits and pieces

I agree it could be someone who left town quickly after. Did anyone close to Beverly (old boyfriend, boss, co-worker, customer, neighbor, etc.) take a vacation or business trip, right after this occured?
The trick is that it was someone who knew her and her habits very well,  but someone her son didn't know.
Strangely enough, her Co workers and relationships has not been mentioned

I agree it could be someone who left town quickly after. Did anyone close to Beverly (old boyfriend, boss, co-worker, customer, neighbor, etc.) take a vacation or business trip, right after this occured?
The trick is that it was someone who knew her and her habits very well,  but someone her son didn't know.

I think it could be either/or as classified ads were costly. I’ve not seen the ad but curious if she gave an indication that she was a woman? Like having “call Beverly”. I know we’ve seen cases about people using the newspaper for crimes, much like online is now so it kind of has me thinking maybe a stranger using ads to hunt a victim? I also want to think that whoever did it knew her.

@Brightchaser47, I’m not sure where it was and I need to dig thru this again.
There is no further info on that

RSBM
"Her hands had been tied behind her back and a pillowcase covered her face," Godwin said. "When her mom removed the pillowcase, she saw her daughter's throat had been cut so deep that her head was nearly severed from her body. She had also been stabbed multiple times." Mintz had also been raped, Godwin said.
Possibly after the killer finished, and the rage subsided, he didn't want to look at his handiwork, or perhaps he was reminded of the presence of the boy, and covered Mama's face to settle him.
''Braswell said Potter questioned the child about her daughter's killer.

"One thing he remembered was a knock at the door," she said. "He told her Jaye looked out the peep hole and she didn't see anybody. She opened the door and the man immediately came in. He said it was a white male -- someone he didn't know."

No one who knew her, it seemed, had means or motive.
"She didn't have an enemy in the world," Braswell said. "She had a heart of gold. She was always nice to everyone and never said an unkind word. Talk to anyone who knew her and they all say the same things: She was a sweet, wonderful person. We don't understand how anybody could ever hurt someone like her."
But there were several "unwanted admirers" in her life. He could also very well have been a customer where she worked-- someone she didn't really pay any attention to (and it angered him).
"I believe the individual had been stalking her," he said. "The person was comfortable watching the house and going in. He knew there was not an adult male in the home, so he had to be watching."
If the killer was also the obscene caller, he could've deduced there wasn't a man in the home, through the obscene calls. He spoke with both Angela and Beverly, depending on who answered.
Godwin added, "The newspaper ad could be a ruse left at the crime scene to taunt [investigators]."
What strikes me is that the ad was neatly clipped, not torn, from the paper. And it was completely removed from the newspaper, as opposed to the newspaper being left there, with the ad circled.
Also the "circle" appears to be made by a rubber stamp. So who used a rubber stamp (with an oval) and red ink in their profession?
''The killer, both men said, also slid in and out of the home during a short window of opportunity, without anyone taking notice.''

"It is one of the things that stands out the most," Godwin said.

As Cummings explained, "[The slaying] happened during the day. Her house was on a well-traveled road -- there was a restaurant less than one-tenth of a mile east and a flower shop next door -- and there was a roofing crew working on a house across the street. How did he get in, commit such a brutal crime, and be unseen and unknown?"
I wonder if he could've been a mailman or utility worker (meter reader, etc), or posing as one. That would allow him to carry a bag containing the "tools" to commit the crime into the house without attracting attention.
"This is not a sexual advance, turned rejection, turned anger, turned murder," Godwin said. "It is a complex case, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to solve."
I partially disagree with Godwin's assessment, but the case is very solvable. All just my opinion.

Matt Tomsic, July 27 2008 rbbm
''The murder
Mintz told her mother she had already sold the bed. Potter told Mintz to tell the man that the bed had been sold and not to let him look at it.

About noon the same day, Potter stopped by her daughter's house and found Mintz dead on the water bed.''

''The USA Today article says the killer was organized. He was calm, knocking on the door instead of breaking in. He was prepared, bringing rope, gloves and a knife. He was discreet, coming and going without being noticed by the roofing crew on the house across the street.

The killer took his knife with him. Investigators never found a weapon, fingerprints or a motive. They did find DNA evidence and a copy of the newspaper with the want ad at the scene.''
1707539500259.png

I can’t read this without getting frustrated about the area being busy during that time of day in a small place. Again I’ll hope that there is something to the DNA.

I can’t read this without getting frustrated about the area being busy during that time of day in a small place. Again I’ll hope that there is something to the DNA.
Since the house was near a flower store, maybe no one paid attention to the usual ebb and flow of the business, and the killer looked like a delivery person bringing flowers or a parcel?
The windows in the house seem to be easy to look into, wondering if the perp was also a peeping tom.
speculation, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xWitheringRosex
Back