NC NC- David McMicken, 24, Michael Norman, 32, William Clifton, 30, Beaufort County, 10 Dec 1982

aThousandYearsWide

Reaction score
5353DMNC - David Leonard McMicken
5353DMNC.jpg
5353DMNC1.jpg
5353DMNC2.jpg

Name: David Leonard McMicken
Case Classification: Involuntary Missing
Missing Since: December 10, 1982
Location Last Seen: Washington, Beaufort County, North Carolina

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 13, 1958
Race: White
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Slightly crooked front teeth

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
David Leonard McMicken was last seen December 10, 1982 at a local tavern known as the VIP club located in Beaufort County, NC. He Was with two other men who went messing at the same time. Michael Fay Norman and William Earl Clifton. Clifton owned a Black over White 1975 Chevy Camero NC Plate DLS42. Clifton left home after having a domestic dispute and has not been seen or heard from since.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Jim VanLandingham
Agency Phone Number: (252) 946-7111
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: BFA967

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: MP54864

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Family Member

5353DMNC - David Leonard McMicken

I can't find any more information on Michael Norman and William Clifton other then what is listed in McMicken's case file. You'd think there would be more on three men that went missing together.
I have a copy of the case file on a Google drive that I can share with you. I am David's biological daughter. I unfortunately was never able to meet my father due to his disappearance. This case is COLD. I reached out to the widow of the former sheriff and she found his case file in the home and I was able to obtain it from the sheriff's office.

I inquired with them if they had any records for the other two missing men but they were unable to provide me with anything.

BFA967 mcmicken.pdf

I have a copy of the case file on a Google drive that I can share with you. I am David's biological daughter. I unfortunately was never able to meet my father due to his disappearance. This case is COLD. I reached out to the widow of the former sheriff and she found his case file in the home and I was able to obtain it from the sheriff's office.

I inquired with them if they had any records for the other two missing men but they were unable to provide me with anything.

BFA967 mcmicken.pdf
I am so sorry about your father. I am a local from NC and try to post any cases I can find. Your Dad's case is very interesting because of the lack of info on the other two guys he was with. Did authorities ever mention any theories they may have? That is really awesome of the officers widow to find this information for you! As a relative you can ask the mods to become a verified insider in your Dad's case

From the PDF @Cackalacky posted.

Michael Fay Norman
  • White/Male
  • Last known address: 513 Hudnell street, Washington, NC
  • DOB: 8-8-50
  • Height: 6'3
  • Weight: 180
  • Hair: brown (shoulder length from picture)
  • Eyes: brown
  • Scars: missing first digits on ring, index, and forefinger on right hand
  • Tattoos: "MN" on right forearm, dice on upper right arm

William Earl Clifton
  • White/Male
  • Last known address: 227 East Second Street, Washington, NC
  • DOB: 8-12-52
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 185
  • Hair: brown
  • Scars: scar on back
  • Tattoos: n/a
  • Vehicle: Black over white 1975 Chevrolet Camaro, NC plate: DLS42

David Leonard McMicken
  • White/Male
  • Last known address: Washington, NC
  • DOB: 5-13-58
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 160
  • Hair: light brown
  • Scars: n/a
  • Tattoos: n/a
  • Note: slightly crooked teeth

Last edited:
I was able to find this info on the club they were last seen.

VIP Club

3208 US Highway 17 South
LOCATION CITY:
Chocowinity
LOCATION ZIP:
COUNTY:
Beaufort
STATE:
North Carolina
VIP Club | Chocowinity | North Carolina | Clubs 24

This article from 2016 states it had a bad reputation with fights and criminal activity. It is no longer there.

I was able to find this info on the club they were last seen.

VIP Club

3208 US Highway 17 South
LOCATION CITY:
Chocowinity
LOCATION ZIP:
COUNTY:
Beaufort
STATE:
North Carolina
VIP Club | Chocowinity | North Carolina | Clubs 24

This article from 2016 states it had a bad reputation with fights and criminal activity. It is no longer there.

I lived on the same block as the VIP, very short walk from my family home.

This happened 4 years before I was born, but I do remember my mom and dad being extra critical of the bar and warning me it was dangerous.

It should be noted that right beside the VIP is a shady hotel named The Fountain Lodge; lots of transients and bad news, rough characters that live there (not just rent rooms for the night).

I just saw this on a Facebook posting covering Washington, Chocowinity, and Beaufort County.

@Cackalacky I hope you find answers on the whereabouts of your father. Have you done commercial DNA tests for Family Tree DNA and uploaded to GED Match which are the sites used by the organisations that help identify those without names? This is a different process than giving DNA to the police for CODIS. (Sorry you probably know all that, just thought it was worth a mention).

I cross-posted in the thread of a UID found in 1987 near Charlotte with a PMI of 5 years and wondered if he could have been one of these 3 men. The UID was found in a creek bed, which made me wonder if the men and their car ended up in a body of water and remains washed out at some point. NC - NC - Charlotte, WhtMale UP79088, 20-30, cranium in creek bed, PMI 5 years, Sept’87 (websleuths.com)

@Cackalacky I hope you find answers on the whereabouts of your father. Have you done commercial DNA tests for Family Tree DNA and uploaded to GED Match which are the sites used by the organisations that help identify those without names? This is a different process than giving DNA to the police for CODIS. (Sorry you probably know all that, just thought it was worth a mention).

I cross-posted in the thread of a UID found in 1987 near Charlotte with a PMI of 5 years and wondered if he could have been one of these 3 men. The UID was found in a creek bed, which made me wonder if the men and their car ended up in a body of water and remains washed out at some point. NC - NC - Charlotte, WhtMale UP79088, 20-30, cranium in creek bed, PMI 5 years, Sept’87 (websleuths.com)

This is some really good sleuthing.

I am in contact with one of the daughters and she has relayed to me that the Camaro is a 1975 model; white with black racing stripe.

Charlotte is quite a haul from Chocowinity, but its certainly not entirely impossible.

BFA967 mcmicken.pdf

Good Afternoon,

I recently found out about this case. I am currently a police captain in Washington. I have lived in Eastern NC my entire life. I am curious about the case file and would like to read it if you would permit me to do so. I believe you would have to give permission to access the Google document. Thank you

Good Afternoon,

I recently found out about this case. I am currently a police captain in Washington. I have lived in Eastern NC my entire life. I am curious about the case file and would like to read it if you would permit me to do so. I believe you would have to give permission to access the Google document. Thank you

I am going to PM you.

I am from Chocowinity and I have had contact with one of Clifton's daughters and one of David's daughters.

Do people from Chocowinity only go missing in groups of three? Such an odd coincidence. I hope some of these are resolved some time soon so friends and families can find some answers.
NC - NC - Virginia Wood, Kelly Gaskins & Ervin Williams, Chocowinity, 2007

Hmm....

I honestly never include Ervin whenever I talk about the case. I think there is a very high likelihood he did something super stupid to get them all killed.

Some of the small town rumors for the three missing men do make sense to an extent.

I completed a 23andme DNA test, but never uploaded the RAW data to GED Match. I'll look into doing that. When the case was added to NAMUS someone asked if I would be willing to provide an DNA sample, but they never followed up on collecting one.

I completed a 23andme DNA test, but never uploaded the RAW data to GED Match. I'll look into doing that. When the case was added to NAMUS someone asked if I would be willing to provide an DNA sample, but they never followed up on collecting one.

Have you tried CODIS? The Combined DNA Index System?

CODIS and NDIS Fact Sheet — FBI

The wording is a little ambiguous, and I am not 100% if this is for strictly criminal cases or all cases in the database.

But its one way to go.

Thanks for sharing the link. I checked out the info posted here. According to this site law enforcement would need to collect the DNA sample from a family member and have a consent form signed.

I am willing to provide a DNA sample, but since law enforcement isn't actively investigating the case I'm not sure they would be willing to obtain a sample.

@Pirate_Bucky do you have any insight on how we can get law enforcement to collect DNA samples from family members who are willing to have a sample collected?

Have you tried CODIS? The Combined DNA Index System?

CODIS and NDIS Fact Sheet — FBI

The wording is a little ambiguous, and I am not 100% if this is for strictly criminal cases or all cases in the database.

But its one way to go.

I reached out to my NAMUS contact and there are funding issues currently so they won't be taking a DNA sample anytime soon. She told me to follow up with her in March 2022. I am trying to get some media coverage for the case since the anniversary of their disappearance is approaching soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onapick
Back