NC NC- David McMicken, 24, Michael Norman, 32, William Clifton, 30, Beaufort County, 10 Dec 1982

I reached out to my NAMUS contact and there are funding issues currently so they won't be taking a DNA sample anytime soon. She told me to follow up with her in March 2022. I am trying to get some media coverage for the case since the anniversary of their disappearance is approaching soon.

Was this ever on Unsolved Mysteries? A podcast I listen to weekly focuses on unsolved murders and disappearances. It is called "The Trial Went Cold".

I ask about Unsolved Mysteries because a lot of his cases are cases from the show that he investigates into further.

I am trying to get some media coverage for the case since the anniversary of their disappearance is approaching soon.

The TV stations in Greenville (maybe New Bern, too?) might be interested. The earlier you can email the newsrooms, the better. The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is usually "slower" for news stories, so outlets tend to sit up and consider story ideas submitted by viewers.

Was this ever on Unsolved Mysteries? A podcast I listen to weekly focuses on unsolved murders and disappearances. It is called "The Trial Went Cold".

I ask about Unsolved Mysteries because a lot of his cases are cases from the show that he investigates into further.
The case has never been covered on Unsolved Mysteries. There are many wonderful podcasts out there that cover missing person cases. I hope we can get coverage for the case one day.

The TV stations in Greenville (maybe New Bern, too?) might be interested. The earlier you can email the newsrooms, the better. The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is usually "slower" for news stories, so outlets tend to sit up and consider story ideas submitted by viewers.

I've had the same though because the anniversary of their disappearance is approaching. I reached out to two news stations and the newspaper last week but I haven't heard anything back from them. If you have any connections you can share with me at these media outlets, please let me know.

I have contacted the following:
WITN
WNCT
Washington Daily News

Those boys are in Pamlico River guarantee someone do a sonar and those boys will all three be seated inside that car

I've had the same though because the anniversary of their disappearance is approaching. I reached out to two news stations and the newspaper last week but I haven't heard anything back from them. If you have any connections you can share with me at these media outlets, please let me know.

I have contacted the following:
WITN
WNCT
Washington Daily News

I figured you have been doing this. I don't have any connections at those TV stations, unfortunately. I know it's a little farther away but keep an eye on what the media outlets in Raleigh are covering (especially investigative stories). They're more likely to dedicate a reporter to a story involving NamUs, DNA, funding, missing persons, etc. Stories involving government funds or science can be boring so reporters love weaving in human elements to make it more compelling and I feel this case fits that criteria.

Those boys are in Pamlico River guarantee someone do a sonar and those boys will all three be seated inside that car

If the men where in an accident involving a body of water, the Pamlico does make a lot of sense.

I am not sure if the Washington bridge had guard rails in 1982. Two of the men had Washington addresses. To get to Washington from the VIP club, one would take a left out of the parking lot onto HWY 17.

I have attached a Google Maps snippet. For those of you not as familiar with Washinton and Chocowinity, the VIP club would be about 500 feet to the right of where this map says Food Lion.

The area two of the men lived in is roughly in the vicinity of Vidant Beaufort Hospital.

Whichard's Beach is in the area that says Twin Lakes RV Camping and Resort.

In 1982, I am not sure if the Cypress Landing Marina existed yet. This was 6 years before I was born. Anyways, Cypress Landing is a pretty high end golf club with lots of really nice houses and wealthy retirees.

So, back on track. I could see the men leaving the VIP and heading north on 17. This gives them the possibilities of having an accident off of the Washington bridge heading into Washington, and winding up in the Pamlico. It is also not impossible to think they headed to the Whicard's Beach area. One of the men didn't have an address on file, and in 1982, I could see there being many afterparties in that area. What I think is unlikely is that the men headed towards Cypress Landing. When not referring to the retiree area, its often just called Blounts Creek. Also, to get there, one would have to take HWY 33. But, there is quite a few places there where the men could have had an accident in a body of water as well.

Attachments

• Choco.PNG
    Choco.PNG
    760.1 KB · Views: 12
Maybe this case could be brought to the attention of Adventures with Purpose.
Adventures With Purpose - Solving Cold Cases and Environmental Cleanup
There are also other organizations with underwater search capabilities, both government and private. Here's a couple of recent examples. There are also WS threads for these cases. But I'm not sure if there's any similar search groups here in NC.
How Judy Chartier was found after 39 years
After 43 Years, Police Say They Found Missing Grandmother's Car in River. Human Remains Were Discovered.
ETA edited for clarity

Last edited:
There is some documentation in the case file that leads us to believe the car was spotted in New York after the date of the disappearance. If they are in a body of water, it is likely that it's not in the Camero.

I have a copy of the case file on a Google drive that I can share with you. I am David's biological daughter. I unfortunately was never able to meet my father due to his disappearance. This case is COLD. I reached out to the widow of the former sheriff and she found his case file in the home and I was able to obtain it from the sheriff's office.

I inquired with them if they had any records for the other two missing men but they were unable to provide me with anything.

BFA967 mcmicken.pdf
My name is Lindsay and I work for a search and recovery diver. We had a subscriber bring this case to our attention. We have it on our schedule to come in a few weeks. Would it be possible for you to email me: LMBussick@gmail.com

Michael Norman has a son named after him. I’m his oldest granddaughter. I’ve been told about this case from my mother but all she knew was the information posted. I’m very interested in this case and have been wondering what happened for years.
[/QUOTE]
My name is Lindsay. I work for a search and recovery diver, Chaos Divers. We have worked closely with AWP. We are coming to the area and I am hoping to speak with a family member or someone involved with this case. You can contact me at LMBussick@gmail.com

My name is Lindsay and I work for a search and recovery diver. We had a subscriber bring this case to our attention. We have it on our schedule to come in a few weeks. Would it be possible for you to email me: LMBussick@gmail.com
Hi Lindsay, I didn't see your message until after I found out about your recent visit to Washington to search. I sent you an email but I believe the file on the Google drive has already been shared. Thanks so much to you and Jacob for taking an interest in this case. The family appreciates you searching. Although the Camaro wasn't found this time, I know you'll be back to search again. I'll continue to try to follow up on the lead which may have the Camaro in NY in Feb of 1983.

Hi Lindsay, I didn't see your message until after I found out about your recent visit to Washington to search. I sent you an email but I believe the file on the Google drive has already been shared. Thanks so much to you and Jacob for taking an interest in this case. The family appreciates you searching. Although the Camaro wasn't found this time, I know you'll be back to search again. I'll continue to try to follow up on the lead which may have the Camaro in NY in Feb of 1983.

I just sent you a email with Google earth pictures of the river that have been shared i have attached those pictures i have also shared with several other dive teams. The water was low when pics were taken.

William Earl Clifton​

clifton_william.jpg
clifton_william2.jpg

Clifton, circa 1982
  • Missing Since 12/10/1982
  • Missing From Chocowinity, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 30 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'2, 185 pounds
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Black over white 1975 Chevrolet Camaro with the North Carolina license plate number DLS42 (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Clifton has a scar on his back.

Details of Disappearance​

Clifton was last seen at the VIP, a now-defunct tavern in Chocowinity, North Carolina, on December 10, 1982. That evening he'd gotten a phone call at his home on West Second Street in Washington, North Carolina, then left quickly afterwards. His wife thought he was going out to pick up Christmas gifts for their two children.

He was sighted at the VIP with two other men, David McMicken and Michael Norman. The three of them left together before last call. None of them were ever heard from again.

At the time of his disappearance, Clifton owned a black over white 1975 Chevrolet Camaro with the North Carolina license plate number DLS42. Two months later, the vehicle was located in New York. An arrest was made in association with this, but no details about the arrest are available.

After the three men disappeared, police at first assumed they had simply abandoned their families. A report from Clifton's missing persons file says he had a domestic dispute the night he disappeared, something his wife and daughter say is untrue.

Clifton's daughter described her parents' marriage as very happy and she doesn't think her father would have walked out of his life. McMicken's wife was pregnant at the time of his disappearance and later gave birth to his daughter, but her husband was unaware of the pregnancy.

The three men's cases are unsolved and the circumstances of their disappearances are unclear.

Last updated March 22, 2022; casefile added.

David Leonard McMicken​

mcmicken_david.jpg
mcmicken_david2.jpg

McMicken, circa 1982
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 24 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'1, 160 pounds
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Black over white 1975 Chevrolet Camaro with the North Carolina license plate number DLS42 (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. McMicken's front teeth are slightly crooked.

McMicken was last seen at the VIP, a now-defunct tavern in Chocowinity, North Carolina, on December 10, 1982. That evening he was sighted at the bar with two other men, William Clifton and Michael Norman. The three of them left together before last call. None of them were ever heard from again.

At the time of his disappearance, Clifton owned a black over white 1975 Chevrolet Camaro with the North Carolina license plate number DLS42. Two months later, the vehicle was located in New York. An arrest was made in association with this, but no details about the arrest are available.

After the three men disappeared, police at first assumed they had simply abandoned their families. Clifton's daughter described her parents' marriage as very happy and she doesn't think her father would have walked out of his life. McMicken's wife was pregnant at the time of his disappearance and later gave birth to his daughter, but her husband was unaware of the pregnancy.

The three men's cases are unsolved and the circumstances of their disappearances are unclear.

Michael Fay Norman​

norman_michael.jpg

Norman, circa 1982
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 32 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'3, 180 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Norman is missing the tips of his ring, index and forefingers on his right hand. He has a tattoo of dice on his right upper arm, and a tattoo of his initials "MN" on his right forearm.

Norman was last seen at the VIP, a now-defunct tavern in Chocowinity, North Carolina, on December 10, 1982. That evening he was sighted at the bar with two other men, William Clifton and David McMicken. The three of them left together before last call. None of them were ever heard from again.

After the three men disappeared, police at first assumed they had simply abandoned their families. Clifton's daughter described her parents' marriage as very happy and she doesn't think her father would have walked out of his life. McMicken's wife was pregnant at the time of his disappearance and later gave birth to his daughter, but her husband was unaware of the pregnancy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetCandy
Back