NC - Dorian Harper & Wanda Larson for abuse of foster child, Monroe, 2013

I was expecting this lovely little "hand washing" statement from DSS.

What they fail to address is WHO recommended the adoption to these fine upstanding individuals, WHO performed the home visits at the time these children WERE fosters, prior to their ADOPTION and was that ADOPTION recommended, authorized, encouraged or otherwise signed off on by DSS?

those are all very very important questions that remain unanswered by the agency IMO

As to the guardianship issue, I think someone needs to answer for that. Whether it is DSS or the courts or both remains to be seen but someone F'd up big time allowing this and I want to know who.

Union County says despite various reports, the reason any suspected abuse went unnoticed is because none of the children in the couple’s care were listed as foster children. The couple adopted four, and the fifth, the only police say was cuffed to a porch with a dead chicken around his neck, was placed under their guardianship.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Union-Co-comments-on-alleged-child-abuse-case-232863551.html

How does that statement make any sense? Since none of the children were foster children there could be no abuse? WHAT? Maybe someone else can interpret this.

Snipped from the article linked below:
Bess and Monroe resident Kristy Brooks say Wanda Larson has a history of poor job performance. Bess and Brooks are not related, but they have kids who are. They've asked DSS—dozens of times they say—to help keep their kids away from a relative they say is sexually abusing them. "She agreed to meet with me about my complaints. We lined up seven or eight meetings. I have yet to meet her. A few times she did send interns into the room. The other times, she wasn't there at all," he says.

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/story/...-with-child-abuse-still-getting-paid-20131119

When will we find out what checks they were collecting for the kid(s)?

This is a very long article. There's more at the link, e.g., about a fund for the children:

On Dec. 21, 2012, the boy was the subject of a 911 call after he turned up at a neighbor’s house begging for food and saying he didn’t know where he lived.

snipped

But that night, the deputy filed a complaint with DSS, Union County Sheriff Eddie Cathey said Wednesday.

The response from the DSS investigator came back Dec. 27. The deputy’s complaint “does not meet statutory definition of abuse, neglect or dependency,” the investigator concluded, and a fuller review was not warranted.

At the time of her arrest, Larson was an investigative supervisor for DSS with a staff of five. Her professional relationship with the DSS worker who handled the 2012 complaint at her home was not clear Wednesday.

Richard Matens, executive director of the county’s human services department, which oversees DSS, said the investigator followed “all state protocols” in the complaint involving Larson.

The initial screening of any child protective services case is handled by the county, Matens said. If that review determines a need for further investigation – and it would be a conflict of interest for the county to handle that claim – the case is sent to another county, he said.

Matens said he could not comment further on specifics about the December case.

A child-protection legal expert in Charlotte says that with Larson involved, Union DSS should have taken more steps in 2012 to distance itself from the appearance of a conflict of interest.

“If they screened it or investigated it themselves, that would be a big conflict,” said Robert McCarter, managing attorney for the Council of Children’s Rights in Charlotte.

McCarter, the onetime attorney for Mecklenburg’s DSS, said if his former agency “were to learn of a situation involving one of their supervisors, then Gaston or Iredell or some other county would come here to do the screening and the investigation. Then you’d have some protection against an open conflict.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/20/3391634/dss-dropped-earlier-complaint.html#storylink=cpy

So the question that remains unanswered (among others) is, regardless of whether these kids were fosters, natural bio kids, guardianship or adoption, when LE calls DSS about claims of possible abuse - WHY WERE THOSE AND THE CLAIMS REPORTED BY PARENTS OF OTHER CHILDREN IN THEIR CARE NOT INVESTIGATED AS ANY REPORT OF ABUSE IS SUPPOSED TO BE???????

Last I heard, DSS was to investigate claims of abuse against any child, by any parent ofr caretaker, regardless of whether those kids are adopted, foster or whatever.

Thanks for a whole lot of nuthin in the way of explanation DSS

Sitting on hands and moving on before I get myself into big big trouble here.

Tony Burbeck WCNC ‏@TonyWCNC 1m
Wanda Sue Larson fired for unacceptable conduct and inefficient job performance

Morgan Fogarty ‏@MorganFogarty 18m
Wanda Sue Larson has been fired from her job as a Child Protective Services Supervisor with Union Co. Papers delivered to her in jail.

Brad Broders ‏@news14Broders 4m
#UnionCounty PIO confirms Wanda Sue Larson fired from #UnionCountyDSS. Her dismissal letter expected to be released shortly.

Tony Burbeck WCNC ‏@TonyWCNC 30s
Union County working on a statement right now about Wanda Sue Larson's firing, which should be coming out soon.

Kathryn Burcham ‏@KathrynBurcham 33s
.@UnionCountyNC cite "conduct unbecoming" and "gross oversight" as reasons for firing #WandaLarson - just got the letter @WSOC_TV

Tony Burbeck WCNC ‏@TonyWCNC 1m
Union County DSS worker Wanda Sue Larson fired 10 minutes ago, officials confirm

Kathryn Burcham ‏@KathrynBurcham 2m
#WandaLarson has been fired from Union Co DSS @WSOC_TV

Brett Vines, a spokesperson for DSS, said they have asked the state to help investigate the county's protocol and practices concerning Larson.

All of Larson's cases are being divided among the other DSS supervisors. He said they are trying to find out how Larson's personal adoption and fostering cases were supervised and handled. They children were not given to Larson's care while she worked for Union County.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/24048079/dss-worker-under-investigation-fired-officials-say

That's a good idea Mr. Vines, because we will not stop asking that very question and we are going nowhere.

Hi Everyone, just posting from Australia but I am horrified by this situation. I remember it was first reported that the poor young child on the porch had a dead chicken tied with string around his neck.

I have cable TV here and I watch 'extreme couponing'. We rarely have coupons and the savings are incredible.

However, the last episode I watch was a mother who had, I hope was a rubber chicken tied by it's legs by string around the mother couponers neck.

Did this poor foster child say he could be fed on a small budget by coupons and he was reprimanded as poor.

Australians would love coupons but their only 2 major supermarkets.

Also, to say they are investigating this one area is sad. It is a loop hole and will be done by others in power without checks.

Moo

Hi flinders :)

The adult son of the couple claims the child was probably being punished because the chicken staved or was harmed by the child and his punishment was to wear the chicken. But that was just that adult son supposing what might make his parents think to put a dead chicken round the boy's neck. Nobody really knows for sure why these people did such a thing.

Hi flinders :)

The adult son of the couple claims the child was probably being punished because the chicken staved or was harmed by the child and his punishment was to wear the chicken. But that was just that adult son supposing what might make his parents think to put a dead chicken round the boy's neck. Nobody really knows for sure why these people did such a thing.

Oh my goodness. An adult son, not just the 'parents' put a dead chicken tied with string around his neck. The police said he had a dead chicken around his neck.

It is just that the boy was hungry as all the kids were. As an Australian we are not used to coupons, there are NO savings to be had at our stores. We do have a greater variety of fresh produce which is cheaper than ready made meals.

If this boy was like myself, he did not hurt the chicken. If in the other hand he did kill the chicken it is disgusting in that a source of food that was denied him.

Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back