NC NC - Gordon Kaye, 68, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 23 Apr 2023 *experienced hiker, camper, & hunter, reserved campsite for 14 days*

Exactly. And with the rains, I'd mentioned rocks being slippery, but everything else is too. And the steep inclines can be treacherous even to experienced hikers -- the whole area can be. Nasty tonight with winds picking up and temps cooling off again.

Even the trails can get nasty in wet weather and as you mention, the hills. Im down in the upstate of SC and the nights have been cold (40s) so those mountains are probably in frost range.

Even the trails can get nasty in wet weather and as you mention, the hills. Im down in the upstate of SC and the nights have been cold (40s) so those mountains are probably in frost range.
I totally agree. It was quite a bit warmer here last night than it was the night before (when it hit freezing), but I'm at a lower elevation and SW of Bryson City / Deep Creek. Agree on the trails getting nasty too, and so easy to take one wrong step even when conditions are good. Hopefully they'll find him today.

MAY 2

GATLINBURG, Tenn. — Search teams in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park continue to look for a Tampa man who has been missing for more than a week.

The search has included more than 120 people from three states and almost 30 agencies, according to the Knoxville Sentinel.

I'm pretty familiar with this area. I came back on WS (after a long self-imposed hiatus) to check on Gordon. I don't have time to read the thread now, but I can probably give some background info on the area. I'm looking forward to having time to read through this. Oh, and I hope he is found soon and I don't have time to read through it first. That would be a great outcome.

I'm pretty familiar with this area. I came back on WS (after a long self-imposed hiatus) to check on Gordon. I don't have time to read the thread now, but I can probably give some background info on the area. I'm looking forward to having time to read through this. Oh, and I hope he is found soon and I don't have time to read through it first. That would be a great outcome.
Hey! I’ve wondered where you where!

Rangers scale back search.

"According to a news release from Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the search will continue with fewer people assigned to the team. To date, 288 people from 51 agencies and four states have helped with the search. This week, about 10 searchers per day will continue efforts by foot, on horseback and with dog teams. The search area is steep, slippery and covered in dense vegetation. NPS rangers are also using an unmanned aircraft system (also called UAS or drone) to search in areas where vegetation cover allows."

(more at link)

It’s easy to get lost in a rhododendron thicket! One thing that helps around here, though, is that because it’s mountainous, you can usually figure out where the water is and follow that down to civilization eventually. But sadly, when I first saw this on the news, my first thought was self harm. Then, with the mention of possible mental health crisis, that made me think that even more. I am guessing someone asked for a check on him or he reached out to someone and said something alarming. Searchers need to remember to look up in the trees as well as on the ground. I would say the large number of responders were not only trying to locate Gordon quickly, but also training for more rescues as we get into hiking season at the most visited national park. Last year 14 million people visited the GSMNP, while the next most visited park, the Grand Canyon, had 4.5 million visitors. I hope I’m wrong and they find him in good health today.

MAY 7, 2023
[...]

A press release from the National Park Service on May 6 says the active field search for Gordon Kaye has been suspended.

“Although this is not the outcome we wanted, we gave our best efforts and completed very thorough ground searches,” said Incident Commander James Latendresse in the release. “The size and scale of the search were only possible with the help of our partners and the dedicated volunteers who gave their time and expertise to look for Mr. Kaye.”

Operations are now switching to a "limited, but continuous search," which may include backcountry patrols, air searches when practical and outreach to hikers heading into the area, park officials say. Additionally, a missing person investigation is ongoing and the NPS will continue to follow up on any new information.

[...]

Possibility? :(

MAY 15, 2023
"We're not going to release any more information until we get a hold of the autopsy," he said, adding that he expected it to be conducted this week.

Cochran said the body was that of a male, who had a wallet, so he believes they know the person's identification.

In response to a Citizen Times query, Smokies spokesperson Emily Davis said on the evening of May 15 that a search for a man missing in the park was not connected to the Fontana Lake body.
This statement is from the ‘Blue Ridge Now’ link. Body found floating in Fontana Lake near Great Smokies; Swain County Sheriff investigating

The link also stated the male body had a wallet. I would assume that the ID in the wallet led them to be fairly sure that the body was not that of the missing man. Of course I am a firm believer in ‘wait and see’. LE has released info like this before and it has turned out to be the missing person.

Just had a quick look on NAMUS and the Florida MEPIC site. No sign of Mr Gordon anywhere in those databases. I assume he's presumed deceased and this is why, but it seems strange to me that he's not on record. Can't find any resolution or news of locating remains.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kristirobots
Back