NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JTF- I'm not sure how to describe what I am trying to say, and it may not translate onto a blog...but I live less than a mile from where this crime was committed, and have for years, and years. This neighborhood is a very tight nit community. People notice when someone that doesn't live there is walking around, or acting weird. Like I've said before, there have been many break ins in the past, so people are aware, and many people have lived here for years upon years. It's an area where our local firemen know our children and our local store keepers know us by name. It's a small community, even though it's off of Glenwood, it is still traveled by the same people within the neighborhoods. My neighbors do notice when something is out of place in my yard or something is going on. We all know each other and look out for each other. That's how it is down here, so I feel it would be highly unlikely for some random person to have been walking around by that house, unnoticed. The people at GG know JG well and KT too. And the area behind his house that is wooded is a SMALL area. It's not a large wooded area that someone wouldn't be noticed walking thru and it backs up to a large condo complex.

What you said makes a lot of sense if the murder occurred at say 5 PM.
If random (not saying it was), it most likely happened in the wee hours of the am with the killer slipping into the woods behind GG. Sorry, but that area is just as susceptible, if not more to a would be killer than any other in Raleigh.

The whole scenario is weird as it stands right now. We know that the sister called emergency because she thought it was post operative complications, right? And then once examined, a 911 call is placed for an assault from the hospital.

My thinking right now, in lieu of any facts from LE, is that if the sister thought it was complications related to the surgery, than there must not have been anything remiss at the house they were staying at that she seemingly would have noticed right away; forcible entry, obvious things missing, like a tv or a computer, etc.

Sure hope that everything becomes unsealed this week.

Looking at other local cases, the cops quickly tell the public they think the murder was "not random' if they suspect someone close (Nancy Cooper & Michelle Young). At the same time, the cops quickly called Jenna Nielson's murder a random act when the spouse and other that knew her were quickly cleared. It has now been 1 month since the attack and the cops continue to say they are not sure it was random or targeted.
Sounds like they have not eliminated the sister...if the 911 call is re-sealed later this week,that will say it all (imo)

JTF- I'm not sure how to describe what I am trying to say, and it may not translate onto a blog...but I live less than a mile from where this crime was committed, and have for years, and years. This neighborhood is a very tight nit community. People notice when someone that doesn't live there is walking around, or acting weird. Like I've said before, there have been many break ins in the past, so people are aware, and many people have lived here for years upon years. It's an area where our local firemen know our children and our local store keepers know us by name. It's a small community, even though it's off of Glenwood, it is still traveled by the same people within the neighborhoods. My neighbors do notice when something is out of place in my yard or something is going on. We all know each other and look out for each other. That's how it is down here, so I feel it would be highly unlikely for some random person to have been walking around by that house, unnoticed. The people at GG know JG well and KT too. And the area behind his house that is wooded is a SMALL area. It's not a large wooded area that someone wouldn't be noticed walking thru and it backs up to a large condo complex.

I live about as far away as you do and I agree there are good neigbhorhoods in that area, but the offender could be someone who fits in. I just saw that Glenwood G closes at 10:00 p.m.. It says they are their new hours on their website. I don't know when that started. Domino's closes at 11:00 p.m. or 12:00 a.m.
Harris Teeter is open 24/7. I think all other stores close fairly early, such as before 9:00 p.m. Still, these are not very busy businesses most of the time. Most of the patrons are KNOWN by the employees IMO. If any customers were in those places late at night, (after 11:00 p.m.) I think it would be noticed and if they seemed out of place, they would be noticed too.

I've tried to run the scenerio of a person pulling up into the GV Shopping Center to pickup a pizza or get a loaf of bread at HT and then deciding to walk around the building, walk up the steps, just happening upon an unlocked door on Cartier, walking in, finding a weapon, entering the master bedroom, and striking the inhabitant on an area hid by her bandages. I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around that scenerio.

You can't really tell which of the stores in the GV Shopping Center have survellience cameras. I rode through last weekend and looked at the shops. Even in the daytime you can't tell if any are present. There are lights, contraptions for electrical, signs parts, etc. You would think someone would fear being caught on camera if they were going through that area to get to that house. And how would you pick that house randomly, because it is not visible form the GV parking lot? In order to have knowledge of that house and where it's entrance is, you would have to use the route from Cartier to GV on regular basis.

I have shopped in HT for over 10 years and frequented GG for that long as well and until this happened I had no idea there was a trail from behind there to Cartier. For this reason, I now think that totally random is quite far fetched. It would have to be someone who knew the area, knew the house and the people inside, if not very well, at least casually or the alternatate theory of the someone who was close to the victim and inside the house.

If you just rode down Cartier Drive, you wouldn't even know where to enter this house, because the door is in the back. I can't see it being someone who just happened upon it.

In case you missed it, this video shows just how easy it is to get to the house undetected from the shopping center.
http://ncwanted.com/unsolved/video/7331581/

As for noticing 'odd things' around the neighborhood, don't forget the very same neighborhood had an attempted break-in the same weekend. To top that, the house right across the street was burglarized in broad daylight with a big screen TV stolen....all with cops swarming the area and neighbors on high alert.
The point is, criminals everywhere can be very daring, brazen and desperate.

In case you missed it, this video shows just how easy it is to get to the house undetected from the shopping center.
http://ncwanted.com/unsolved/video/7331581/

As for noticing 'odd things' around the neighborhood, don't forget the very same neighborhood had an attempted break-in the same weekend. To top that, the house right across the street was burglarized in broad daylight with a big screen TV stolen....all with cops swarming the area and neighbors on high alert.
The point is, criminals everywhere can be very daring, brazen and desperate.

Thanks for the link. It gives a very good view of the route behind the house to GV. I still think you would have to work or live in that area in order to even know that it exist. As far as the breakins, I wonder about college students or minimum wage employees who work nearby.

Do you know if police have arrested anyone for other daytime burglarys inside the beltline in the past 6 months? Just curious who they were and what their MO was.

Thanks for the link. It gives a very good view of the route behind the house to GV. I still think you would have to work or live in that area in order to even know that it exist. As far as the breakins, I wonder about college students or minimum wage employees who work nearby.

Do you know if police have arrested anyone for other daytime burglarys inside the beltline in the past 6 months? Just curious who they were and what their MO was.

I would not think college students....think sketchy transients with a possible drug habit.
This link shows a string of burglaries in nearby Cary a few months ago.
What is unnerving is they entered occupied homes at night....

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6843583/

Reminder...LOCK your side garage door + interior door leading to the house.

I wonder if anything ever came of this.

Dickens, who lives a couple of doors from where the break-in was attempted, said police have not told her much, though investigators did ask whether she knew of any landscapers who had been working in the neighborhood. Dickens said she is not worried.

"You can't tuck your tail and run," she said. "Things like this happen everywhere."

It could be a random attack from someone who is familiar with the area -- either lived in or worked in that area.

I would not think college students....think sketchy transients with a possible drug habit.

This is interesting. The article says these night burglaries when the residents were home, occurred at Lochmere Highlands. This is a link for that subdivision. It says it features nature trails and basements. Maybe it's stretching but there is a nature trail behind Cartier and a basement in the house a block away that was broken into just before the KT murder. Probably just coincidental.
http://www.chrisedwardsgroup.com/featured-neighborhoods/lochmere-highlands.aspx

Does anyone on the board, K's close friends or family think it was a hit? Or is that too incredible?

A sketchy transient would stand out like a sore thumb in that entire area. I'm not trying to seem class discriminatory, but there are not any homeless people anywhere near that neighborhood. They don't hang out at that shopping center either. Most of the people who shop in that shopping center live within a 2 mile radius. They are white or asian. Many are professionals. The only exception would be day laborers, such as lawn care, power washing, remodeling, etc., although, I have never seen them in the shopping center. I just imagine they could go there to make purchases during the day when they are working in the area.

Anyone who doesn't fit the normal customer type would stand out IMO if they were in the parking lot or walking on that street. I think that if HT saw any transient outside of their store, they would have called the police to seek assitance for the person.

If there was a daytime breakin on that street, I would say it would have to be people who pretended to be moving furniture or lawn work.

A sketchy transient would stand out like a sore thumb in that entire area. I'm not trying to seem class discriminatory, but there are not any homeless people anywhere near that neighborhood. They don't hang out at that shopping center either. Most of the people who shop in that shopping center live within a 2 mile radius. They are white or asian. Many are professionals. The only exception would be day laborers, such as lawn care, power washing, remodeling, etc., although, I have never seen them in the shopping center. I just imagine they could go there to make purchases during the day when they are working in the area.

Anyone who doesn't fit the normal customer type would stand out IMO if they were in the parking lot or walking on that street. I think that if HT saw any transient outside of their store, they would have called the police to seek assitance for the person.

If there was a daytime breakin on that street, I would say it would have to be people who pretended to be moving furniture or lawn work.

Prancy, I was not talking about a "wino" type.
I suppose we can all debate all day what 'type' of person would break in homes and kill sleeping women....the latter being especially rare and very alarming....yes, white, black, hispanic or asian. Take your pick.

Being from Raleigh, I am simply playing devil's advocate. Crime happens all the time 'inside the belt-line'. Are we getting worked up over nothing?
Maybe some of our gut feelings are right and we will find out D did it?

Just the Fax, you never do know. It could be one of those rare cases. Remember the couple who was murdered in their home in Ventura Beach, CA. The guy went in with a motorcycle helmet on, killed the parents and left the kids alive. It was an upscale, beach community. The killer went in an unlocked door.

It's just so scary. Of couse, no matter how wild my imagination gets, I keep coming back to the screwy time line on Saturday morning.

Prancy, I was not talking about a "wino" type.
I suppose we can all debate all day what 'type' of person would break in homes and kill sleeping women....the latter being especially rare and very alarming....yes, white, black, hispanic or asian. Take your pick.

Being from Raleigh, I am simply playing devil's advocate. Crime happens all the time 'inside the belt-line'. Are we getting worked up over nothing?
Maybe some of our gut feelings are right and we will find out D did it?

JTF- I think what Prancy and I are both trying to say (& I'm not trying to put words in your mouth Prancy) really had nothing to do with socio-economic "inside the beltline" status and who can get murdered here or not. What were are trying to say is that it is really a small community where everyone seems to know or recognize everyone. Vendors and neighbors alike, so anyone out of the ordinary would raise a red flag for most people. Unlike some other communities in the Raleigh area where people don't really know their neighbors (I lived in one of those once) or have a lot of people moving in from all over the country, down here, there seems to be a little less of that. We have had our fair share of crime and break ins and we all know we are not insulated from any of that. But, as quick as it starts, it stops, bc of neighborhood watches and emails that go around and people being vigilant. That is not to say that it could not have happened to KT, but it seems highly suspicious with all the other inconsistancies that we have heard about in her story about what happened that night etc.... who knows. I hope we will find out what really happened that night.:waitasec:

Random?

1- House backs to an easement easily accessible from a shopping center off a major road
2- Cops said maybe random
3- Evidence of attempted break-in the same time period in the same neighborhood
4- Rumors she was sexually assaulted
5- Cops were interested in a video of a man in HT
6- Cops asked immediate male neighbors for a voluntary DNA sample

The sister did it?

1- The family said they ate dinner together but refused comment after that time
2- Rumors D and Kathy did not get along
3- Rumors D has a drinking problem
4- Could she have been jealous of big sis and her quest for eternal beauty?
5- Why would she wait until 11:40 AM to first check on Kathy?
6- Why would the cops seal the 911 call if she was not a suspect?
7- Rumors state no forced entry or anything amiss or stolen
8- If D heard a "noise" as rumored and went to down to check...why would she not see the intruder or see him fleeing?
9- She was mortally wounded to an area of the head conveniently covered by a wrap.
10- Cops say she could have been targeted (non-random)
================================================================

At this point, I will not be surprised if it goes either way.
Sure hope we get the SW's and 911 calls by the end of the week.
Those should answer a lot of questions.

I'm old enough to actually listen to my intuition. I'm leaning towards the sister, although I admit there is no hard evidence to back me up.

What you said makes a lot of sense if the murder occurred at say 5 PM.If random (not saying it was), it most likely happened in the wee hours of the am with the killer slipping into the woods behind GG. Sorry, but that area is just as susceptible, if not more to a would be killer than any other in Raleigh.

BBM

I agree someone out of place might be noticed during daylight hours. But the murder was committed late Friday night or early Saturday. How many people would be out and about at that hour to even notice?

As for barking dogs...those of you who live nearby...are the dogs in the immediate area left outside at night or are they brought in?

ruben-

Do you think the SW and 911 call will be resealed on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezel