GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

Oh I long for the likes of Gregory Peck. :fence:

Years & YEARS ago, IIRC it was in NYC??? There was an attorney I saw on a Court TV case. He was so good! Sounded a bit British, he wasn't, but he had a regal accent and way of orating. Hope that's a word. Does anyone remember of whom I'm speaking?

Gracielee, I think you are talking about the LIBBY ZION case. Was that the one you are speaking of? Her case paved the way for the Medication Administration Records that we keep today for everyone who is admitted to the hospital. If you recall, she was on an antidepressant, and had a reaction with another medication she was given and died. Her dad was a well known writer. Let me know if I'm recalling this correctly. This was one of the very first cases shown on Court TV. xo

Gracielee, I think you are talking about the LIBBY ZION case. Was that the one you are speaking of? Her case paved the way for the Medication Administration Records that we keep today for everyone who is admitted to the hospital. If you recall, she was on an antidepressant, and had a reaction with another medication she was given and died. Her dad was a well known writer. Let me know if I'm recalling this correctly. This was one of the very first cases shown on Court TV. xo

This is the case I was trying to remember. It's the only one I could come up with that the attorney I was trying to remember *might have* been lead counsel for. Do you remember who represented the father? I'll have to go and google again. :woohoo:

You know, we've been lucky with respect to winning cases for the past 18 months or so. Except for the first JY trial that was deadlocked and then turned out ok, we have won each of these awful cases. There is still a HUGE contingency who believes that Brad C. is innocent and just won't be quiet about it. There is even a FB page dedicated to his innocence.
Ok gals, what's up next? Are we going to wait for the R. Abaroa trial to start in the fall or are any of you following another ongoing trial on here?

Good question, East! I don't wanna wait for the Abaroa trial, although I would like to be all over it when it starts -- but who knows if that date is one we can depend on? It ought to be pretty close to correct because it has been out there simmering for quite some time. The Durham County DA's problems, I'm sure, added to the pure mess that seems to be over there. One thing to ponder -- will it be streamed? I would think so...

But I would really like to follow one between now & Abaroa. Is there anything out there? I would love for things to get going out there on Bald Head Island, but who knoze? The Fayetteville Bordeaux case could get going again, but certainly no trial on that one soon, seems to me, even if they arrest & charge someone tomorrow...

I looked around "New Posts" on here the other day; didn't find anything, but I did not check them all (!).

Let's look, East & see what might be out there unless someone has a suggestion...
icon6.gif

What's hot & what's not?

I've done more googling, and think the attorney I'd been trying to come up with is Thomas Moore. Now I'm trying to find some video to hear his voice.

Good question, East! I don't wanna wait for the Abaroa trial, although I would like to be all over it when it starts -- but who knows if that date is one we can depend on? It ought to be pretty close to correct because it has been out there simmering for quite some time. The Durham County DA's problems, I'm sure, added to the pure mess that seems to be over there. One thing to ponder -- will it be streamed? I would think so...

But I would really like to follow one between now & Abaroa. Is there anything out there? I would love for things to get going out there on Bald Head Island, but who knoze? The Fayetteville Bordeaux case could get going again, but certainly no trial on that one soon, seems to me, even if they arrest & charge someone tomorrow...

I looked around "New Posts" on here the other day; didn't find anything, but I did not check them all (!).

Let's look, East & see what might be out there unless someone has a suggestion...
icon6.gif

What's hot & what's not?

What ever happened to our murdered children cases? the little girl who was murdered by mom's bf while mom was away at national guard training?? And Shaniya Davis??? I know there are more of these poor little children.

What ever happened to our murdered children cases? the little girl who was murdered by mom's bf while mom was away at national guard training?? And Shaniya Davis??? I know there are more of these poor little children.

This might be something - a missing/found dead case of two 9-year-old twins in Alabama.

Found Deceased AL-Jordan & Taylor DeJerinett,9-year-old twins & Jack Girdner, Hope Hull, 3 June 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

This case started on WS on 06/12/2012.

Quite a few WS'ers on here -- some names are familiar.

I'm glad you all have already picked up and started on another trial to sleuth. I wish I could do the same. I have nothing but good things to say to or about you all. But I am not ready to go on to talking about some other murder trial. I felt a big sense of relief today. Kathy's family must've felt that, somewhat, as well. While this is the end and this awful crime will hopefully fade into the past for those of us who never knew her, her family's suffering will never truly end. I am tremendously sad for them. Their words have left an indelible mark on me.
I didn't get to hear the sentence hearing or Kathy's children speak until just now. I watched it with my roommate/best friend. We cried and we cried a lot, as we finally got to hear from Kathy's family. We saw Jason cry, too. Finally! While nobody here has any sympathy for Jason, it was something of a surprise (and a relief) to see him finally show some emotion today.
It's going to be a long, long time before I don't think about what Jason did, every day. I look out on my porch and I can see the house on Cartier, where this rape and murder occurred. I look upon my backyard and I know he came home that way, after he did what he did. I look at my parking lot, where I saw him and spoke to him many times, and I know that's where he threw that cigarette butt. I walk and drive down the streets in this neighborhood and I know that's where he came upon this evil idea. I doubt that the awful memories will ever totally go away but I look forward to the day when I don't think about Jason Williford and what he did, every single day. I just wish I could give Kathy Taft's family the same relief and peace.

I just re-listened to Judge G's sentencing, and "send-off" to JW.

Somewhere during this part of yesterday's proceedings, Judge Gessner asked the DT about any appeal -- the camera cut things off pretty quickly (as soon as JW the lifer had gone into the little corridor on his way to 23--28 years on the rape, having already done his 45 days on the misdemeanor burglary; at the end of the sentence for the rape, is when the LWOP will begin, so JW will be at the least 55 years old when he starts his sentence of life...

Anyway, as I said, JG asked the DT about an appeal, and I did NOT hear anyone say anything -- the camera could have cut out the DT's comment on appeal, but I don't think so -- so this sounds like to me that there will NOT be an appeal.

On the one hand, appeals are usually standard & automatic on a sentence & trial such as this, but on the other, an appeal for a new trial for this confessed-to-his-attorneys murderer would seem silly to me.

Maybe we have really heard the last of this guy until we hear of his death or of some bad incident in the slammer. Ahhh, sounds good.
icon10.gif

icon6.gif

What's hot & what's not?

I'm sorry I'm late getting back on here. My poor old body is simply falling apart it seems. I'll look around and see what I can come up with although if you didn't find anything that flew out at you on the first couple of pages there probably isn't anything ongoing. I'll check anyhow.
I hope everybody is well and will have a terrific weekend!

I think the boyfriend pled (pleaded?) guilty and avoided a trial. Not sure but I'm remembering something about that. Haven't heard anything about the Shaniya case in several months. What about the stepmom who dismembered the little girl with cancer....so sorry, my memory isn't working at all today. Has that one been resolved?

I stumbled upon the Nancy Grace pgm tonight (we're at the beach again, and I'm not used to the channel nos. on the TV).

Anyway NG was not on the show, so I figured I'd give it a try. I cannot watch NG -- I just wind up screaming at her to shut her mouth and let her guest speak, but she doesn't listen to me...

Anyway, their article piqued my interest, but I have no idea if we would be able to get enuff info on it -- ongoing -- to participate, or if it would get enuff local (NJ) attention for us to make a project out of it.

Anyway:

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_20749322/autopsy-princeton-woman-died-blunt-trauma

ETA:

related article:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20111213/NEWS/111219764/0/FRONTPAGE

I found out why there was so little info presented about KT during the trial. NC Constitutional law limits victim impact testimony so as not to unduly prejudice a jury. All victims of crime are considered to be equally valuable in the eyes of the law. A jury must deliberate on the facts of the case, not on "how nice a victim was" or "the importance of a victim to their family, friends and community."

This is especially important in a capital case. A verdict and sentence could be compromised on appeal if such victim impact testimony occurred before a jury rendered a decision. Once a jury has rendered a decision, then victim impact statements are permitted.

It wasn't oversight or anything else that limited discussion of KT--it is, in fact, part of constitutional law on how a trial is to be fairly conducted. And that's why info about what a great person KT was and how much she contributed to her community, school system, friends, etc. was presented at the appropriate time...after the verdicts on guilt and sentencing were decided.

I found out why there was so little info presented about KT during the trial. NC Constitutional law limits victim impact testimony so as not to unduly prejudice a jury. All victims of crime are considered to be equally valuable in the eyes of the law. A jury must deliberate on the facts of the case, not on "how nice a victim was" or "the importance of a victim to their family, friends and community."

This is especially important in a capital case. A verdict and sentence could be compromised on appeal if such victim impact testimony occurred before a jury rendered a decision. Once a jury has rendered a decision, then victim impact statements are permitted.

It wasn't oversight or anything else that limited discussion of KT--it is, in fact, part of constitutional law on how a trial is to be fairly conducted. And that's why info about what a great person KT was and how much she contributed to her community, school system, friends, etc. was presented at the appropriate time...after the verdicts on guilt and sentencing were decided.

Thanks, Mad74 - Good Info! And it makes total sense. Another reason, I had thought as well about one reason jury selection took so much time, among many other reasons....

You're welcome. It was good info to get for sure. We have to remember there is a rhyme and reason to why trials are conducted the way they are. Rules of evidence, rules of conduct, what can come in, what cannot, it's all legislated so that the process is as consistent as possible. The system does not give sway to how worthy the victim was for the jury to consider as part of evidence. All victims are equally worthy in the eye of the law; every murdered person had a right to live their life. That is a given in every criminal case.

The law is about facts and evidence and rules. Kathy Taft's life, her family and her accomplishments were absolutely not ignored; those facts could be introduced at the proper time, according to constitutional law.

If we don't like the laws we have two choices: move to a place where such laws don't exist or work to change the existing laws.

Hi everyone. I just finished reading "Erased: missing women, murdered wives" and I tell you this (and i am the LEAST cheesy person ever), I felt like I had Kathy; Laci Peterson, Lori Hacking, Holly Maddux right there with me. I thought I was done after this trial, but nope. Violence against women is not stopping, and neither will I.

Oh, and I have missed you all! :grouphug:

I stumbled upon the Nancy Grace pgm tonight (we're at the beach again, and I'm not used to the channel nos. on the TV).

Anyway NG was not on the show, so I figured I'd give it a try. I cannot watch NG -- I just wind up screaming at her to shut her mouth and let her guest speak, but she doesn't listen to me...

Anyway, their article piqued my interest, but I have no idea if we would be able to get enuff info on it -- ongoing -- to participate, or if it would get enuff local (NJ) attention for us to make a project out of it.

Anyway:

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_20749322/autopsy-princeton-woman-died-blunt-trauma

ETA:

related article:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20111213/NEWS/111219764/0/FRONTPAGE

I just now had a chance to read the links you provided on the woman's death from the 3rd floor window. Interesting. I am trying to cook but will google around and see if I can find anything current on it...or an arrest.
Hope you are still at the beach and are having fun!

For my next case, I'm going to go to Kathleen Savio/Drew Peterson. That trial is about to start... Such a nice, friendly-looking guy...
icon8.gif

Hope to see you good Sleuths there, and I hope we can find a way to watch it .....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyrose
Back