GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the last person to see or talk to Laura was Haze and his new wife?

Yep:

She was last seen at a northwest Raleigh apartment complex where she was dropping off her children with their father, who has custody.

Her car was found Wednesday at another apartment complex near the complex where she dropped the children.​

LINK

I heard about this case this morning at work. I work at our corporate office and some of our franchisees in North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Greenville, Greensboro) use Laura as their graphic designer for advertisements. Today, we shipped out 200? ...I dunno...alot of missing posters. They will be placed in bathrooms on the back of the stall doors or by the urinals and possibly on top of gas pumps (as both of those places are where our company places ads).

I do hope this is some sort of mental illness or that she needed a break, as any other scenario is too much to think about!

The news (WTVD again) quoted the judge from a court custody document to say she was: "...currently exhibiting emotionally unstable behavior and has a history of similar periods…” They did not provide the date of this statement.

A neighbor of Laura's was interviewed on camera. She was crying and said: "she was trying too hard to get them back...nomatter what anyone said about her...her personality...mood swings, whatever...that's what she lived for...she was all about getting her boys"

Based on those 2 statements, I am wondering (hoping, actually) whether perhaps there is a mood disorder involved and a manic episode resulted in her impulsively taking off somewhere. I hope. And I am just speculating out loud as to a possibility. I have absolutely no information to support this. I'm not trying to start any rumors.

Please, lets be very careful here. The description of a volatile, controlling, isolated relationship is not a healthy one. At the very least that would seem to suggest an emotionally abusive relationship. And often, where there is smoke, there is fire.

It's really, really common for abusers to claim that their victims are depressed, crazy, etc. Abusers are skilled manipulators and smooth liars with years of practice. They may come across as confident, secure, and sincere to court officials. They may even relish court proceedings as a way to continue to degrade and harass their victims legally. Battered moms on the other hand have suffered real, ongoing trauma. They may appear nervous, depressed, emotional, angry, etc. not as the result of any mental deficit or personality disorder, but as a direct outcome of the abuse. Abusers are only too happy to help paint the picture of a crazy or unstable victim - they seek to degrade her further and also to cast doubt on allegations she may make.

Judges go to law school, where they learn to frame arguments, cite case law, research precedent, etc. Little, if any, of their training is devoted to family dynamics, especially where control/abuse and family violence are involved. This is why 70% of abusers are successful in gaining sole or joint custody of their children. It's a scary thought and a HUGE obstacle that family violence advocates work to overcome.

So given her friend's statements about the relationship it would be wise to take any comments from the court proceedings about her mental state with a grain of salt.

Here is a brief, non-legalese article that talks a little bit about the problem:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/660204579/Batterers-often-get-custody-of-children.html

Excellent research can be found by reading anything written by Lundy Bancroft, or checking out the websites of great organizations like DV Leap and the Leadership Council.

I don't think this one will end well for Laura. It has that hinkyness about it.....

Please, lets be very careful here. The description of a volatile, controlling, isolated relationship is not a healthy one. At the very least that would seem to suggest an emotionally abusive relationship. And often, where there is smoke, there is fire.

I totally get the manipulative, "smear the other party" tactic, and that's a possibility. However, I don't know these individuals and have no knowledge of their relationship. And just as we don't know about her stability, neither do we know about his behavior.

For now, it's bits and pieces of info from a variety of indirect sources: neighbors, friends, an excerpt from a court document, news reporters, etc. There are a variety of scenarios and we should remain objective and open to all possibilities.

But I have heard no word, and I have inquired, about foot searches. The police must know something that's keeping them from moving in that direction. That, or they are searching and somehow keeping it from the media. I want this bad feeling I have to be wrong.

The news (WTVD again) quoted the judge from a court custody document to say she was: "...currently exhibiting emotionally unstable behavior and has a history of similar periods…” They did not provide the date of this statement.

A neighbor of Laura's was interviewed on camera. She was crying and said: "she was trying too hard to get them back...nomatter what anyone said about her...her personality...mood swings, whatever...that's what she lived for...she was all about getting her boys"

Based on those 2 statements, I am wondering (hoping, actually) whether perhaps there is a mood disorder involved and a manic episode resulted in her impulsively taking off somewhere. I hope. And I am just speculating out loud as to a possibility. I have absolutely no information to support this. I'm not trying to start any rumors.

I think I would probably be described like this if my kids were taken away from me as well. :sick:

I work across the street from where Laura was currently residing and on Wednesday 4 men possibly SBI or detectives entered the apartment complex and around 30 minutes later what seemed to be the whole PD came swarming in and running into that place like something was going down. I mean there had to be 15 to 20 vested up and going in that place. I haven't heard any mention of what they were looking for or if they found something. I beleive they are being tight liped for some reason

I work across the street from where Laura was currently residing and on Wednesday 4 men possibly SBI or detectives entered the apartment complex and around 30 minutes later what seemed to be the whole PD came swarming in and running into that place like something was going down. I mean there had to be 15 to 20 vested up and going in that place. I haven't heard any mention of what they were looking for or if they found something. I beleive they are being tight liped for some reason

ETA: I see its already on her map as the business loc

I also found a crime incident report on the 600 block of Herritage from WED 7/20 at 3:40 PM:

"Assault: pushing victims face with fingers"

I don't think that would require the entire police force responding though...

https://www.crimereports.com/

ETA: I see its already on her map as the business loc

I also found a crime incident report on the 600 block of Herritage from WED 7/20 at 3:40 PM:

"Assault: pushing victims face with fingers"

I don't think that would require the entire police force responding though...

https://www.crimereports.com/
I don't think so either, something more than that was going on. Most of the responders were in bullet proof vest and plain clothes (detectives etc...one being the original lead investigator in this case)

Thanks for the additional links. I heard about this case on Tues. Wasn't much information out there. Its very close to where I live. I really hope that everything turns out to be o.k.

I have gotten so jaded that as soon as I heard the grandmother (exboyfriends mom) say that they had been in a custody battle for more than a year, that dad was upset because the children and dad had been sitting in the car for over an hour waiting for her 'and it was hot'....welll, it just didn't sit right with me. No compassion whatsoever imho.

Hopefully, they will find her alive and well and the sooner the better. As always there is not a single person who says she would up and leave her two little boys on a whim.

Kelly

i have a feeling there will be at least 1 survellience camera working at either apartment complex that will shed some light as to the timeline and players involved.
I agree that the final location of LA's car was just a convenient place for either GH or new wife to get back to their home on foot.
Sadly too many stories like this start with 2 parents fighting to do anything to keep their children, and ending with children having no parents - one being dead the other in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unsilent_bob