NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked in the school system for 30 years and often we'd get families that for obivious reasons had to be reported to DSS.

The school social worker said that in many of the cases they'd call county DSS where the child went to school before moving to my county school system and the Case Worker would the tell her they had lost the family because they moved every time DSS became involved or the rent came due.

Most of the time the previous agency was more than helpful and glad they had been found so they could be supervised again.

This SM moved because the Caldwell Co DSS visited them. I believe that with all my heart. I also suspect that was why they kept Zahara in her room. If no one sees her who can report them?

I wonder if DSS was called where they live now??

In North Carolina each school has a social worker assigned to each school to be a liason between the school and DSS, initially established to improve truancy and relationships between home and school.They are hired by the school system. It has made a world of difference but the child must be in school to be identified for those needs.

no one where they live currently reported ever seeing zahra, i doubt anyone called... bentley didn't know they had moved, so she was completely isolated at that point (if she even made it there)

Is it just me or does Zahra's face look swollen in that cell phone pic? :furious: The black eye is bad enough but if she was hit so hard her face swelled up... :furious: :furious: :furious:

It looks that way to me as well Robyn and Zahra also just generally looks 'unwell' to me in this picture. Is this the last known photo of Zahra I wonder????

I worked in the school system for 30 years and often we'd get families that for obivious reasons had to be reported to DSS.

The school social worker said that in many of the cases they'd call county DSS where the child went to school before moving to my county school system and the Case Worker would the tell her they had lost the family because they moved every time DSS became involved or the rent came due.

Most of the time the previous agency was more than helpful and glad they had been found so they could be supervised again.

This SM moved because the Caldwell Co DSS visited them. I believe that with all my heart. I also suspect that was why they kept Zahara in her room. If no one sees her who can report them?

I wonder if DSS was called where they live now??

In North Carolina each school has a social worker assigned to each school to be a liason between the school and DSS, initially established to improve truancy and relationships between home and school.They are hired by the school system. It has made a world of difference but the child must be in school to be identified for those needs.

Thank you, tiredblondy. I think this is precisely why they kept moving so often, meaning Dad HAD to know what the Stepmonster was up to.

I don't have any new info, either. I wonder how kcsmom is holding up.

I know, she was up so late and was so upset, bless her heart. I would bet that once she was able to get those hurtful feelings out in a post, the emotional release and sheer exhaustion probably left her ready to fall straight into bed. I hope she's sleeping like a sweet little baby!

Is it just me or does Zahra's face look swollen in that cell phone pic? :furious: The black eye is bad enough but if she was hit so hard her face swelled up... :furious: :furious: :furious:

I think her whole face looks swollen and both eyes look bruised. Her left cheek even looks bruised. Can't even imagine what this poor child went through these past years. Yet, she still smiles for the camera. Heartbreaking.

Her attorney thinks obstruction of justice is an "excessive" charge??!! How could he say that with a straight face? She only wrote a fake ransom note to throw off investigators searching for her missing child! No, she just did a dumb thing, and now that she's admitted it, they should just leave the poor woman alone!
/sarcasm

oh my- he needs to shut up! What a stupid thing to say. I fear for this guy's safety if he keeps putting his foot in it like that.

Thank you, tiredblondy. I think this is precisely why they kept moving so often, meaning Dad HAD to know what the Stepmonster was up to.

Dad did know.
SM told a couple of people she hurt her hand beating Zahra but told the husband something else so he wouldn't get mad at SM. He was aware of the situation and did nothing (obviously other than get mad when she left marks and got CPS involved) but nothing that would matter in terms of helping Zahra.

Dad also has quickly said she could be involved.
If your husband who lovingly cared for child and never laid a hand on them was suddenly accused of killing them I would think it would take more than a day for you to say in public "I guess he could be involved".

He knows.
He is involved.

imo

So, is August 9, 2010, the last time someone outside the family seen poor Zahra? If not, what is the last independent sighting?

That pic isn't very clear so I can't tell. I also thought it looked like multiple bruises on her face.

oh my- he needs to shut up! What a stupid thing to say. I fear for this guy's safety if he keeps putting his foot in it like that.

Speaking of safety, if he's really concerned for his client, he'll let her stay right where she is. Because if she were to bond out, I'm betting there are plenty of folks who'd love to administer a little frontier justice. (myself included)

ht_zahra_101013_mn.jpg

A new photograph of missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker with a bruise under her eye surfaced today as the search for her body focused on a wood chipper and mulch piles for any sign of her remains.

The missing North Carolina 10-year-old, who lost her left leg and hearing in a battle with childhood cancer, is seen in a dimly lit cell phone image with what Baker family friend Brandy Stapleton called a visible bruise under her right eye. Stapleton said she took the photo, obtained exclusively by ABC News, on Aug. 9 -- the last day she saw the little girl.
Stapleton said on that day, Zahra seemed down and so she decided to take a picture to cheer her up. Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, initially told her not to take the picture, Stapleton said, because Zahra's eye was bruised. But Stapleton insisted because she wanted to see the little girl smile.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/zahra-baker-case-cops-search-wood-chipper-mulch/story?id=11868397

Sure is a shame no one went to LE with this documented abuse of this child. All it would have taken is that photo and letting the proper authorities determine if it was accidental or caused by abuse.

Zahra, I am so sorry SO many let you down. Fly with the angels. Run and play. NO ONE will ever hurt you or let you down again. I wish we knew... we would have come and taken you from that home whatever the consequences may be. Even if the initial charges were kidnapping.... because once the evidence of what you were enduring came out, it is likely those charges would have been dropped. RIP sweetie.

WSOC just ran the story again. No new information...basically what they had said at the top of the newscast. EB's son did contact WSOC with a statement asking everyone to respect his families privacy. He also said he will make another statement when more information comes out.

Someone mentioned a concern on the other thread that if a dental comparison needed to be made, Zahra might not have even seen a dentist since she's been here.

I think Zahra's dental profile is so unique that it could be compared and matched to photos, even -- the unique overlapping, slightly crooked teeth would be unmistakable. Hopefully, anyway!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/13/north.carolina.missing.girl/?hpt=T2

Brittany Bentley, who is married to Elisa Baker's nephew, told HLN that the girl "wasn't in very good living conditions, not at all for a 10-year-old."

"I remember Elisa coming out of the bedroom one day, saying her hands hurt from spanking Zahra so much," she said. "I know she spanked way too hard, what I consider beating." She said the girl was locked in her room and "I know about letting her out five minutes, just to eat and that was it."

WHAT?????

Where was her father? Why did he let this happen?

That picture is heartbreaking... I hope she gave LE the pic. (I cringed at "...obtained exclusively by ABC News"... )

no one where they live currently reported ever seeing zahra, i doubt anyone called... bentley didn't know they had moved, so she was completely isolated at that point (if she even made it there)

Locked in her room, beaten (Lord knows how often!), killed, then disposed of in some ungodly manner. :furious:

What do you think the odds are of SM fleeing if she's released on bail?

Her attorney thinks obstruction of justice is an "excessive" charge??!! How could he say that with a straight face? She only wrote a fake ransom note to throw off investigators searching for her missing child! No, she just did a dumb thing, and now that she's admitted it, they should just leave the poor woman alone!
/sarcasm

I'm waiting for the attorney to say just because she wrote the ransom note it's no proof she harmed the child....... :furious:

WSOC just ran the story again. No new information...basically what they had said at the top of the newscast. EB's son did contact WSOC with a statement asking everyone to respect his families privacy. He also said he will make another statement when more information comes out.

I understand, I really do....but, that remark burns me up. Go ahead throw maters' I have a catcher's mit and we are having fasgetti' for dinner, so I can make sauce. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member