NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
post_old.gif
05-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Grassyknoll2
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_625618", true);

There were a couple of points/questions posted on the website for Maura....

I've always been curious as to whether he set out flares to indicate that Maura's car was there. From what I have seen it is a really bad spot and very dark. It would seem that some device of that sort would have been available as a part of the safety kit on the bus.
Does anybody know whether there was anything in the papers about Flares?? Anybody have any idea what types of safety equipment might have been on the bus?? I remember one article where one person said the flashers were on in Maura's car, but then right after somebody else said they weren't.

From the descriptions it seems that the car was in a bad spot, and in one story it said that she had trouble getting out of the driver's car door because of the snowbank. As I picture it in my head, the only way the driver's door could be in the snowbank would be if the car were heading the wrong way in a lane which would mean that another car coming upon it would not have the benefit of the reflection of the red lights.

When I was looking for the quote about the cars, I was reminded of one other very curious piece of information that was printed in the paper...Rausch said family members were told by at least one person living near the accident site a man was seen in Maura's car after the accident.

Did anybody else see this or anymore on this?

Good questions GrassyKnoll2!

DS:blowkiss:

post_old.gif
05-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Grassyknoll2
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_625618", true);

There were a couple of points/questions posted on the website for Maura....

I've always been curious as to whether he set out flares to indicate that Maura's car was there. From what I have seen it is a really bad spot and very dark. It would seem that some device of that sort would have been available as a part of the safety kit on the bus.
Does anybody know whether there was anything in the papers about Flares?? Anybody have any idea what types of safety equipment might have been on the bus?? I remember one article where one person said the flashers were on in Maura's car, but then right after somebody else said they weren't.

From the descriptions it seems that the car was in a bad spot, and in one story it said that she had trouble getting out of the driver's car door because of the snowbank. As I picture it in my head, the only way the driver's door could be in the snowbank would be if the car were heading the wrong way in a lane which would mean that another car coming upon it would not have the benefit of the reflection of the red lights.

When I was looking for the quote about the cars, I was reminded of one other very curious piece of information that was printed in the paper...Rausch said family members were told by at least one person living near the accident site a man was seen in Maura's car after the accident.

Did anybody else see this or anymore on this?

Good questions GrassyKnoll2!

DS:blowkiss:

Dark Shadows said:
Please take note this quote is made twice in this statement/post! Was it a mistake or does it mean something?

DS:angel:

Hi DS,

Made the post a while ago........probably posted that line twice because it impressed me. I also posted this line twice:

"If you wanted to make a person, you would make her just like her." said Katie Jones another close friend of Maura’s since grade school.

Both quotes show how Maura is thought of...one made by one of her peers, the other made by an adult...both powerful statements. I guess I was trying to present a more personal side of Maura.

As to referring to Maura in the past tense...I suspect if one went back though posts and statements you would find that people go back and forth in how they say what they say. I know I do...it is very difficult when one is talking about someone who is missing...sometimes no matter how much you want to believe they are alive, that nagging fear creeps into your words. I believe the article quoted was at least three months after Maura disappeared...not days as with Scott Peterson.

Hope that clears that up for you.

Dark Shadows said:
Please take note this quote is made twice in this statement/post! Was it a mistake or does it mean something?

DS:angel:

Hi DS,

Made the post a while ago........probably posted that line twice because it impressed me. I also posted this line twice:

"If you wanted to make a person, you would make her just like her." said Katie Jones another close friend of Maura’s since grade school.

Both quotes show how Maura is thought of...one made by one of her peers, the other made by an adult...both powerful statements. I guess I was trying to present a more personal side of Maura.

As to referring to Maura in the past tense...I suspect if one went back though posts and statements you would find that people go back and forth in how they say what they say. I know I do...it is very difficult when one is talking about someone who is missing...sometimes no matter how much you want to believe they are alive, that nagging fear creeps into your words. I believe the article quoted was at least three months after Maura disappeared...not days as with Scott Peterson.

Hope that clears that up for you.

Some up here in NH think these thoughts....

(In regards to Maura Murray being missing)

Some think in the past tense, with this flimsy excuse "she was some college kid all screwed up, perhaps drinking and driving, maybe suicidal.."

Just Some lady "that drove into the mountains and walked away from her ailing car".

(i.e..get it?...its HER, Mauras fault).

Yup i agree, it might have been her fault, the accident, etc, but she still deserves some simple human thought and concern...someone to care to make efforts to trace pieces, perhaps find evidence of her, care for her family and the hell they are going through.

Times are a changing, even in rural NH, i guess...nobody watches out for their neighbor anymore, like they did 10 years ago in NH.

BUT what many seem to forget is Maura was/is a human, perhaps in need of help...many assumed her as suicidal, going off to the mountains with her school books to commit suicide? Did some public officials underestimate her? Did they underestimate her ability to walk, hike, or run, so that is why she is lost/missing?

Or is it that someone picked her up, why she might have been forced to run, perhaps run for her own life?

The bottom line is this, where is she now? With so many hikers out there over the last year, no one has found her, or any trace of her?

Yes, The big Mystery before Maura was the "X-mas eve Missing Lear-jet" and the unsolved killings in central and southern NH/VT.

Yeah, It took 3 years to find a Lear-Jet that crashed in that area...but with the Lear-Jet, people were actually out looking for that...and that alleged serial killer, everyone thought he moved away or died back in the 1990s....according to NH authorities.

People didnt bother themselves with some missing college student (possibly drunk) though...And even if anyone wanted to bother themselves with the missing Maura case, not many in that area knew about it until nearly a week later...when another fresh snow was already beginning to fall....making it impossible to search again until Spring, 2004.

Then everyone forgot again... i jokingly call the ADD society..."Here today, gone tomarrow" thinking.

Recently, A few weeks ago...I saw at a General store in that area, their bulletin board, a "missing" poster that was posted...for a family dog, lost, named Charlie...

Nope no "missing" poster for a missing human, Maura...I wondered, "family pets are more important in Swiftwater than humans?"

But she was/is some messed up missing person, potentially....not like a dog, a human..but a missing dog is more important?

Its just Bizaare sort of denial......isnt it?

Some up here in NH think these thoughts....

(In regards to Maura Murray being missing)

Some think in the past tense, with this flimsy excuse "she was some college kid all screwed up, perhaps drinking and driving, maybe suicidal.."

Just Some lady "that drove into the mountains and walked away from her ailing car".

(i.e..get it?...its HER, Mauras fault).

Yup i agree, it might have been her fault, the accident, etc, but she still deserves some simple human thought and concern...someone to care to make efforts to trace pieces, perhaps find evidence of her, care for her family and the hell they are going through.

Times are a changing, even in rural NH, i guess...nobody watches out for their neighbor anymore, like they did 10 years ago in NH.

BUT what many seem to forget is Maura was/is a human, perhaps in need of help...many assumed her as suicidal, going off to the mountains with her school books to commit suicide? Did some public officials underestimate her? Did they underestimate her ability to walk, hike, or run, so that is why she is lost/missing?

Or is it that someone picked her up, why she might have been forced to run, perhaps run for her own life?

The bottom line is this, where is she now? With so many hikers out there over the last year, no one has found her, or any trace of her?

Yes, The big Mystery before Maura was the "X-mas eve Missing Lear-jet" and the unsolved killings in central and southern NH/VT.

Yeah, It took 3 years to find a Lear-Jet that crashed in that area...but with the Lear-Jet, people were actually out looking for that...and that alleged serial killer, everyone thought he moved away or died back in the 1990s....according to NH authorities.

People didnt bother themselves with some missing college student (possibly drunk) though...And even if anyone wanted to bother themselves with the missing Maura case, not many in that area knew about it until nearly a week later...when another fresh snow was already beginning to fall....making it impossible to search again until Spring, 2004.

Then everyone forgot again... i jokingly call the ADD society..."Here today, gone tomarrow" thinking.

Recently, A few weeks ago...I saw at a General store in that area, their bulletin board, a "missing" poster that was posted...for a family dog, lost, named Charlie...

Nope no "missing" poster for a missing human, Maura...I wondered, "family pets are more important in Swiftwater than humans?"

But she was/is some messed up missing person, potentially....not like a dog, a human..but a missing dog is more important?

Its just Bizaare sort of denial......isnt it?

What really throws me...with this Maura case is this...FIVE different versions of witness accounts/observations....then as you look further, there are yet more other versions..right out there in the media.

Some say Maura appeared intoxicated, some did not...some have Maura having a "smoke" in her wrecked car, trying to use her cell phone in an area where cell phone service just doesnt work...because of mountains, rocks, doesnt make sense.

So She was just relaxing, having a smoke, "before breaking into a fierce, no end type of run" thats how she got away from the accident scene so far into the woods where no one can find her, or any trace of her over a year later.

Intoxicated, how did she venture so far into the woods that nobody could find her, then.."Wonderwoman on a High-ball"?

Mind over matter, they say, i guess.

She was a college student plotting suicide, but her books along with her for study..in case she changed her mind?

Two more of these accounts/versions are from one person....Wow...then another report comes up. Then, yet, another two witness', nearly two months later....in a small town this person did not know, took that long to figure out what was remembered in a place where nothing happens?

It is just plain weird...something isnt adding up, it all has not added up, since Feb 9, 2004....Nobody did any immediate search , at say 7:30pm, well over an hour after the accident, in the adjoining counties, townships..why?

For all this time i thought that "Mutual Aid" worked so well here in NH..i begin to wonder, now.

What really throws me...with this Maura case is this...FIVE different versions of witness accounts/observations....then as you look further, there are yet more other versions..right out there in the media.

Some say Maura appeared intoxicated, some did not...some have Maura having a "smoke" in her wrecked car, trying to use her cell phone in an area where cell phone service just doesnt work...because of mountains, rocks, doesnt make sense.

So She was just relaxing, having a smoke, "before breaking into a fierce, no end type of run" thats how she got away from the accident scene so far into the woods where no one can find her, or any trace of her over a year later.

Intoxicated, how did she venture so far into the woods that nobody could find her, then.."Wonderwoman on a High-ball"?

She was a college student plotting suicide, but her books along with her for study..in case she changed her mind?

Two more of these accounts/versions are from one person....Wow...then another report comes up. Then, yet, another two witness', nearly two months later....in a small town this person did not know, took that long to figure out what was remembered in a place where nothing happens?

It is just plain weird...something isnt adding up, it all has not added up, since Feb 9, 2004....Nobody did any immediate search , at say 7:30pm, well over an hour after the accident, in the adjoining counties, townships..why?

For all this time i thought that "Mutual Aid" worked so well here in NH..i begin to wonder, now.

Boxerz said:

I couldn't agree more Boxerz...and you've said it so well...the very first thing I reacted to was the fact that she took her class books...as to the different versions of the story...some appear in the same paper...and in a couple of instances, it is fairly obvious the reporter is questioning conflicting stories.

Boxerz said:

I couldn't agree more Boxerz...and you've said it so well...the very first thing I reacted to was the fact that she took her class books...as to the different versions of the story...some appear in the same paper...and in a couple of instances, it is fairly obvious the reporter is questioning conflicting stories.

I haven't had the chance to read all the posts or links provided about this woman.

Can someone just tell me if there is a possibility that she could still be alive? And have amnesia?

Could they tell that by the type of damage that was done to the inside of her car? More specifically- the inside drivers side window?

I am also very perplexed as to why the LE didn't think to drive a few miles down the road to make sure she wasn't walking.

Do they think that she is dead and that it was just a crime of opportunity? wrong place wrong time? Thanks, and sorry for all the quesitons.

I haven't had the chance to read all the posts or links provided about this woman.

Can someone just tell me if there is a possibility that she could still be alive? And have amnesia?

Could they tell that by the type of damage that was done to the inside of her car? More specifically- the inside drivers side window?

I am also very perplexed as to why the LE didn't think to drive a few miles down the road to make sure she wasn't walking.

Do they think that she is dead and that it was just a crime of opportunity? wrong place wrong time? Thanks, and sorry for all the quesitons.

Hi Sharon...

Didn't occur to me until I read your post that it might be confusing to read this thread...unfortunately, there are several months of postings gone and the thread starts in the middle. When one of the administrators went to move some posts (about 500) they were lost. The best place for some background info is at www.caledonianrecord.com archives. They covered the story pretty closely in the beginning.

As to the damage to the car...the extent of the damage varies as presented in different articles. It was reported, however, that there was a crack (hole) in the windshield and that the airbags deployed. As to whether it is possible that Maura is alive there is always that hope for some, but it has been 15 months. Maura was last seen on a rural road in Haverhill, NH. Nobody has ever come forward and said that they gave her a ride, nobody at bus stops ever said that they saw her buy a bus ticket......there have been the usual 'sightings', one almost three months later by a man who claims that he saw her about 5 miles from the crash site...contradictory info in papers on that sighting, so it is difficult to tell whether it was real.

Police had several thoughts about what happened in the beginning...nobody knows what their current thinking is.

Hi Sharon...

Didn't occur to me until I read your post that it might be confusing to read this thread...unfortunately, there are several months of postings gone and the thread starts in the middle. When one of the administrators went to move some posts (about 500) they were lost. The best place for some background info is at www.caledonianrecord.com archives. They covered the story pretty closely in the beginning.

As to the damage to the car...the extent of the damage varies as presented in different articles. It was reported, however, that there was a crack (hole) in the windshield and that the airbags deployed. As to whether it is possible that Maura is alive there is always that hope for some, but it has been 15 months. Maura was last seen on a rural road in Haverhill, NH. Nobody has ever come forward and said that they gave her a ride, nobody at bus stops ever said that they saw her buy a bus ticket......there have been the usual 'sightings', one almost three months later by a man who claims that he saw her about 5 miles from the crash site...contradictory info in papers on that sighting, so it is difficult to tell whether it was real.

Police had several thoughts about what happened in the beginning...nobody knows what their current thinking is.

Just remember- no one reported seeing Jennifer Wilbanks on that bus either.

Not trying to get anyone's hopes up. just saying that people aren't always as observant as you wish they would be.

I'll take a look at that site. thanks!

Not trying to get anyone's hopes up. just saying that people aren't always as observant as you wish they would be.

sharon25 said:

True... very true.

sharon25 said:

True... very true.

sharon25 said:

You are so correct AND Jennifer's case held the national media attention 'round the clock on network and cable news stations for days..........Maura's missing was not even announced publicly until her family was able to generate media interest on the Friday after she went missing: 4 days later.....

It is my understanding that they were unable to generate very much national media attention because of the lack of cooperation by NH LE. They declared her a run away from the beginning - not even reporting her abandoned car to her father for 24 hours (the abandoned car was registered in Maura's father's name)

Therefore, although loved ones doubt that Maura would ever run away and not let someone know she is well, they will never stop looking for her. They continue to face each day that she is not found harmed with the hope that she will be found alive.

sharon25 said:

You are so correct AND Jennifer's case held the national media attention 'round the clock on network and cable news stations for days..........Maura's missing was not even announced publicly until her family was able to generate media interest on the Friday after she went missing: 4 days later.....

It is my understanding that they were unable to generate very much national media attention because of the lack of cooperation by NH LE. They declared her a run away from the beginning - not even reporting her abandoned car to her father for 24 hours (the abandoned car was registered in Maura's father's name)

Therefore, although loved ones doubt that Maura would ever run away and not let someone know she is well, they will never stop looking for her. They continue to face each day that she is not found harmed with the hope that she will be found alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sshamrick2011