NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy eventually deleted the message because of the way his voice mail was set up. In order to listen to new voice mail, he had to listen to old, saved voice mail first. Apparently (and rather understandably) it got too hard for him emotionally to handle hearing it any time someone left him a message, and he deleted it. This is according to his mom Sharon.

Jane: Do you know how they (everyone who matters in this case) are looking at that lost voice message?
What do they make of it........in otherwords, do they brainstorm as to her being indoors, outside, etc. when the call was made so long ago?

IF it is true as they state it is,(and there is no reason not to believe it was her) then this is the last time anyone heard from Maura.

Guys, Gals,

About the mysterious phone call that came to billy at the airport.

I like everyone else have long thought that it was Maura on the other end and just that bit of knowledge had always leaned me towards a theory that Maura eventually succumbed to the elements out there.

But I really dug deep to find out everything I could about that mysterious phone call because I thought it odd that not much was really ever said about it by authoriites nor that Billy had ever turned the message over to police.

I came across an article that came out not long after the phone call had come out and it talked about how Billy in fact had turned in the phone to police and when Police investigated the mysterious message, all they found were the sounds of a cell phone breaking up and they dismissed that there was any voice or wimpering coming from it.

So then I dismissed that phone call as holding any relevance ... But you never know, Police have been wrong before.

Latest from James's blog

"surprised to find Maura's Saturn still parked behind Troop F's office"

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

Wow! that is surprising!

Curious Scoops if you happened to meet James while you were there?

OldSteve,

No, James went back to the area the very next week after I had returned. I have never met James but I have offered up any of my photos to him if he were interested because I believe in what he is doing.

I understand his style is kind of throw it out there and see what sticks, and I can see how that can rub people the wrong way. But I don't see someone that is out just trying to make a fast buck. I would'nt offer help of any kind to someone that I didn't believe had good intentions. I know I want to see this case solved and I honestly think it was from seeing Fred Murray on TV (20/20, Disappeared) and seing how torn up he was, that made me so interested in wanting to see justice for him and his family (No matter what the final result yields).

Goofy me. For some reason I got it in my head Scoops = James. Scoops, are you doing a book too (or maybe just one in your head)?

Guys, Gals,

About the mysterious phone call that came to billy at the airport.

I like everyone else have long thought that it was Maura on the other end and just that bit of knowledge had always leaned me towards a theory that Maura eventually succumbed to the elements out there.

But I really dug deep to find out everything I could about that mysterious phone call because I thought it odd that not much was really ever said about it by authoriites nor that Billy had ever turned the message over to police.

I came across an article that came out not long after the phone call had come out and it talked about how Billy in fact had turned in the phone to police and when Police investigated the mysterious message, all they found were the sounds of a cell phone breaking up and they dismissed that there was any voice or wimpering coming from it.

So then I dismissed that phone call as holding any relevance ... But you never know, Police have been wrong before.

It would make all the sense in the world, especially to explain the Red Cross being the initiator of that card. But it certainly speaks volumes of the subjectivity of the human mind, projecting onto a static noise, that which we want to believe is the one we care so much about and are flying out to try and find.

Amazing really, to think they "still" believe it was her, and it was instead only static

Stranger things have happened before I'm sure.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me., it's always bothered me.

It would make all the sense in the world, especially to explain the Red Cross being the initiator of that card. But it certainly speaks volumes of the subjectivity of the human mind, projecting onto a static noise, that which we want to believe is the one we care so much about and are flying out to try and find.

Amazing really, to think they "still" believe it was her, and it was instead only static

Stranger things have happened before I'm sure.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me., it's always bothered me.

And here is where people of good faith disagree. I don't believe that clears anything up at all. I believe that two sets of people strongly believe two different things, and that nothing for certain has been determined. Having not heard the phone call, I can't give my opinion one way or the other. But neither Sharon nor Billy believe it was "just static" even having been told by the police, coupled with what they know of Maura and what the phone company told them. Your mileage may vary, but to me it's yet another unknown.

:twocents: I have always had doubts about the phone call. Why would Maura, or anyone for that matter, use a calling card from a cell phone? Also, if I was cold and alone and lost in the dark I don't think I would bother dialing the extra digits a calling card would require. Furthermore, if she made the call from a payphone (good luck finding one) then she would have been near a gas station or intersection where she could have gotten help. Finally, if she was being held captive and got a hold of a phone I think she would have dialed 911 rather than her boyfriend in Oklahoma.

:twocents: I have always had doubts about the phone call. Why would Maura, or anyone for that matter, use a calling card from a cell phone? Also, if I was cold and alone and lost in the dark I don't think I would bother dialing the extra digits a calling card would require. Furthermore, if she made the call from a payphone (good luck finding one) then she would have been near a gas station or intersection where she could have gotten help. Finally, if she was being held captive and got a hold of a phone I think she would have dialed 911 rather than her boyfriend in Oklahoma.

Good points all, and I also do not believe it's a "settled problem" as assumed here.

Actually, I was being facetious!:waitasec:

Perhaps the police didn't take the time when getting ahold of that cell phone initially, to do a proper evaluation of it.

Hard to say, only they know if someone did or did not when disgarding it as static.

It's frightening however to contemplate that the b.f. and his mom believe they heard her, for it places her in peril and potentially alone (even if held by someone and in a bathroom somewhere ) making a desperate plea for help.

As for the logic of why not call 911 vs the b.f.?

Perhaps, we don't behave logically when we are desperate and feel life is near the end.

We need to put ourselves into other's shoes to understand this conceptually.

Wasn't she known factually, to run away when people offered her help? Especially involving authority figures?

Logic: Why would she have a Red Cross card to begin with? Where would one have come from to use? Points to static again. :fence:

From James Renner's blog:
In Feb, 2004, Maura was not in a good place. She'd been shown the door at West Pointe (sic).
I always though Maura voluntarily left West Point. Renner makes it sound like she didn't have much choice in the matter. Is there more to the story?

Goofy me. For some reason I got it in my head Scoops = James. Scoops, are you doing a book too (or maybe just one in your head)?

Not so goofy rosierider - I was thinking that same thing!

OldSteve,

No, James went back to the area the very next week after I had returned. I have never met James but I have offered up any of my photos to him if he were interested because I believe in what he is doing.

I understand his style is kind of throw it out there and see what sticks, and I can see how that can rub people the wrong way. But I don't see someone that is out just trying to make a fast buck. I would'nt offer help of any kind to someone that I didn't believe had good intentions. I know I want to see this case solved and I honestly think it was from seeing Fred Murray on TV (20/20, Disappeared) and seing how torn up he was, that made me so interested in wanting to see justice for him and his family (No matter what the final result yields).

Thanks for this info and your feelings about James! Like you, it was the TV show that got me interesting in this case.

I always though Maura voluntarily left West Point. Renner makes it sound like she didn't have much choice in the matter. Is there more to the story?

IRRC she left at the end of a semester, totally voluntarily. Had great grades, just as she did at UMass.

Good points all, and I also do not believe it's a "settled problem" as assumed here.

Actually, I was being facetious!:waitasec:

Perhaps the police didn't take the time when getting ahold of that cell phone initially, to do a proper evaluation of it.

Hard to say, only they know if someone did or did not when disgarding it as static.

It's frightening however to contemplate that the b.f. and his mom believe they heard her, for it places her in peril and potentially alone (even if held by someone and in a bathroom somewhere ) making a desperate plea for help.

As for the logic of why not call 911 vs the b.f.?

Perhaps, we don't behave logically when we are desperate and feel life is near the end.

We need to put ourselves into other's shoes to understand this conceptually.

Wasn't she known factually, to run away when people offered her help? Especially involving authority figures?

Logic: Why would she have a Red Cross card to begin with? Where would one have come from to use? Points to static again. :fence:

BBM - it was only one person she didn't want help from - BA.
He was a big 300+ lb person. If you've seen him, it makes sense for her to feel scared of him IMO.

Regarding Red Cross phone card - might have gotten it from the Red Cross in Nursing school...
might have found it in a cabin left there for anyone to use in an emergency ....
Moaning - remember she hit her head on the windshield of her car...
and of course you are right - why not call 911??

Billy eventually deleted the message because of the way his voice mail was set up. In order to listen to new voice mail, he had to listen to old, saved voice mail first. Apparently (and rather understandably) it got too hard for him emotionally to handle hearing it any time someone left him a message, and he deleted it. This is according to his mom Sharon.

To bad that wasn't taken into evidence (the phone and hence the message). Didn't know the reason why he deleted it, now I know - thanks!

Red Truck mystery:

I was trying to re-track that article down that verified that police did get a hold of that phone message and they were able to determine that there was no voice or whimpering sound, just phone static .... But I wasn't able to find it. But I did find out something I never knew concerning a red truck that night. Take it for what it is below, I know many (Including myself) have been wondering why people keep bringing up a red truck on the night Maura went missing.

this is an excerpt from an article done in 2004

"Sgt. Beausoleil said another tip, from a woman who was walking on Route 112 in Bath, N.H., on Feb. 9, also could not help investigators develop a criminal case.
The woman reported a suspicious man in a red pickup truck with Massachusetts plates eyeing her near the Stage Stop general store in Bath at about 7 that night.
According to the woman, the man left when she went into the store and headed east toward the accident scene. Ten minutes later, the woman saw Haverhill police go by in the same direction, responding to the accident.
She didn't have a license plate number, so that doesn't give us anything,'' Beausoleil said. We don't feel confident it's connected.''

Red Truck mystery:

I was trying to re-track that article down that verified that police did get a hold of that phone message and they were able to determine that there was no voice or whimpering sound, just phone static .... But I wasn't able to find it. But I did find out something I never knew concerning a red truck that night. Take it for what it is below, I know many (Including myself) have been wondering why people keep bringing up a red truck on the night Maura went missing.

this is an excerpt from an article done in 2004

"Sgt. Beausoleil said another tip, from a woman who was walking on Route 112 in Bath, N.H., on Feb. 9, also could not help investigators develop a criminal case.
The woman reported a suspicious man in a red pickup truck with Massachusetts plates eyeing her near the Stage Stop general store in Bath at about 7 that night.
According to the woman, the man left when she went into the store and headed east toward the accident scene. Ten minutes later, the woman saw Haverhill police go by in the same direction, responding to the accident.
She didn't have a license plate number, so that doesn't give us anything,'' Beausoleil said. We don't feel confident it's connected.''

Regarding the Red Truck, lots, lots, posted at:

http://findmauramurray.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=75

Respectfully snipped

On the Disappeared show(ID channel) about Maura, Sharon Rausch stated she gave Maura calling cards from the Red Cross just a couple months before at Christmas...Maura used calling cards often, according to her...

Respectfully snipped

On the Disappeared show(ID channel) about Maura, Sharon Rausch stated she gave Maura calling cards from the Red Cross just a couple months before at Christmas...Maura used calling cards often, according to her...

WOW.........I recall that old fact now! It's been years since I paid attention to this case, yet now reinvigorated, and yes I do recall that now that you mention it.

This means she WAS alive and somewhere, on the next day at that time.

Makes you sad just thinking about it. :( Not only for Maura, but for Billy since he truly believes it was her.

Here is the latest from James Renner's blog

Pretty harsh stuff about Maura's boyfriend Billy.

I personally don't know what to make of it, but supposedly Maura did leave an excerpt from an old email (about billy cheating on her) on top of her stacked boxes before she left the dorm and went missing (may be something to it)

But she also emailed Billy a short message that was made public and in that message, She didn't seem irate with Billy at all .... So, I guess the mystery deepens.

here is the excerpt:

(Quoted from Maura's aunt Janis) "He cheated on her. Cheated on her with her sister Julie's friend as if that wouldn't get back to Maura. Then he'd buy her expensive jewelry. Maura was heartbroken. She came to me sobbing. I told her he wasn't worth it. But she always went back."

One detective went further. "He's a , the way he treated Maura. If she did go up there with the intention of committing suicide, it's because of the way he treated her."

Bill Rausch has not responded to requests for an interview."

Here is the latest from James Renner's blog

Pretty harsh stuff about Maura's boyfriend Billy.

I personally don't know what to make of it, but supposedly Maura did leave an excerpt from an old email (about billy cheating on her) on top of her stacked boxes before she left the dorm and went missing (may be something to it)

But she also emailed Billy a short message that was made public and in that message, She didn't seem irate with Billy at all .... So, I guess the mystery deepens.

here is the excerpt:

(Quoted from Maura's aunt Janis) "He cheated on her. Cheated on her with her sister Julie's friend as if that wouldn't get back to Maura. Then he'd buy her expensive jewelry. Maura was heartbroken. She came to me sobbing. I told her he wasn't worth it. But she always went back."

One detective went further. "He's a , the way he treated Maura. If she did go up there with the intention of committing suicide, it's because of the way he treated her."

Bill Rausch has not responded to requests for an interview."

I remember reading about when Maura got a call at work and her friend who was there at the time mentioning that Maura was crying and said something like. "my sister". I took that as a possibility that maybe Billy had cheated on Maura with her sister, but I thought that unlikely or at least hoped it was. Now I see that it may have been with one of her sisters friends. I always thought that there was so much more to this story. What we still don't know is if any of this stuff had to do with her disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member