NH NH - Missing young women in NH

-the reason Ted Bundy was able to get away with his crimes for so long was because he was a "serial killer of opportunity"-he would go to a certain area and wait until some unsuspecting person put themselves in his path and he was able to move in for the kill. He also moved around the country-and when he was caught in FL, he had killed a group of coeds in their dorm and THEN killed a 12 year old girl! There are different kinds of serial killers-some of whom don't have a certain victim type per se, but it is their LOCATION and that they are vulnerable at the time the serial killer is looking for a victim. There are also "spree killers"-people that kill within a certain time frame and area then "cool off" before becoming active again. So while not all of the murders and missing may be related-there are enough similarities in quite a few of them to raise suspicion.

Bring Maura home!

Interesting... some folks over in VT have been talking about this, too.

Connecticut River Serial Killer Meetup
http://www.ibrattleboro.com/article.php?story=2005030514582533

Then read this older thread, from May, 2004:
The Connecticut River Serial Killer
http://www.ibrattleboro.com/article.php?story=20040511132029745

Especially the posts by "milly" who claims she was abducted in 1985 and thinks her abductor was the killer. Was he ever caught? Was it Gary Schaefer or someone else? Someone in LE, as others believe? :eek:

I wonder if, rather than trying to get the media to look into this or the (cough) police, it wouldn't be more helpful to instead contact Mr. Ginsburg and Mr. Philpin... See what they think.

I could e-mail them. What do you think?

This is perhaps the most comprehensive articles that I have found on serial killers.

Unlike Hollywood's Hannibal Lecter or the real-life Ted Bundy, not all serial killers present an easy-to-spot profile ripe with rituals, methods and arcane messages. Many remain unnoticed for years because their crimes show little or no common link.

……..

A new way of thinking

Those who study serial murder -- including some who wrote books about it -- say their definitions have changed as they have learned more about the little-understood phenomenon.

At the time, the FBI's Uniform Crime Report allowed just five categories to describe murder.

"That was totally inadequate," Ressler said. "So we put our heads together and came up with 43 different classifications."

Among them, mass murder -- killing three or more people in one incident -- and spree killings, several murders one after another.

Ressler's group defined serial murder as "three or more murders (with) a cooling-off period between the crimes. That's serial homicide. It's very much based on a fantasy that builds and builds during this cooling-off period that leads to premeditation and planning for the next murder."

The FBI has since tinkered with that definition, reducing the number of homicides to two, said Larry Ankrom, Unit Chief of the bureau's Behavioral Science Unit-West Region.

But even that definition isn't steadfast.

"Even one murder can distinguish someone as a serial killer," said Robert Keppel, a former King County detective who worked the Bundy and Green River cases and is now one of the foremost experts on multiple murders. "The characteristics in a single-victim homicide can help you predict if the killer is going to do it again."

And even crimes short of murder, including rape or assault, can lead authorities to conclude the attacker may also be a serial killer.

Even while trying to define the phenomenon, criminologists warn that trying to be too precise can have deadly consequences.

Steve Egger, an internationally known authority on serial homicide and pattern crimes, said too much is made of defining spree, mass and serial killers. He figures a serial can happen with two murders.

"It's frustrating," said Egger, a former homicide detective who now teaches at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. "There are a whole range of theories, some good, but they don't match all the killers out there."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/109156_sinclairmissing21.shtml

From the website: http://www.uplink.com.au/lawlibrary/Documents/Docs/Doc5.html

. Finally, 71% of the killers operate in a specific location or area, rather than traveling wide distances to commit their crimes"(Apsche, 1993, p.16).

But one thing that very few definitions include is that for a killer to be known as a "serial Killer", they must have a particular method to their killings. For instance, Wayne Gacy, had the trade mark of gagging victims with their own underwear so that they would die in their own vomit.I

Detailed, ongoing research by the F.B.I shows that many convicted serial killers enact their crimes because of the incredibly rich, detailed and elaborate violent fantasies (including the act of murder) that have developed in their minds as early as the age of seven and eight.

Through the use of murder and mayhem, the serial killer literally chases his dream. With each successive victim, he attempts to fine tune the act, striving to make his real life experiences as perfect as his fantasy (Apsche, 1993).

It is not so much the celebrity statues that they so enjoy, but instead the ability to control the lives of thousands of area residents, who are held in their grip of terror.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer

Forensic evidence built up over a number of murders shows the patterns of behaviour and the distinct character of the crimes, making for speedier identification of subsequent crimes—hence the more rapid examination of new crime sites and the collection of evidence that would otherwise deteriorate due to time or less skilled handling.

I did not find any of the previous links factually regarding the alleged Conn. Serial Killer. I did not find anything informative about it either.

I thought this thread was about the so called missing women in NH, not a historical "alleged" serial killer in another state.

From one of the letters, a man was arrested and apparently these so called "serial killings stopped". So the relevance of this to this thread would be??

I "googled" Conn. Serial Killer - it returned Michael Ross, we all know about him and the death penalty. But it did not return anything about the "alleged historical serial killer" from the 1970's.

So enough already........

SPREE KILLER FROM:

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/a/killer_types.htm

Gatekeeper: Sorry to correct you, (yet again) but:

Spree Killer:

These murderers kill two or more victims, but in more than one location. Although their murders occur in separate locations, their spree is considered a single event, because there is no "cooling off" period between the murders. Robert Polin is an example of a spree killer. In October 1975 he killed one student and wounded five others at a Ottawa high school after earlier raping and stabbing a 17-year-old friend.

You cannot say that ANY murders are related unless you know the "signature" of the killer, the evidence.

Lets just say for example: A women early 20's is found, a pink scarf strangled her and she had bite marks on her shoulders, she was found near water. She as found in a posed position

A month later another women, late teens, a pink scarf strangled her and she had bite marks on her legs and shoulder. She was found near a small pond. She was found in a posed position..

Two weeks later another women, mid 20's, a pink scarf stranged her and she had bite marks on her arm, leg and shoulder, she was found near a dam. She was found in a posed position.

A week later, another women in her early 20's, a pink scarf strangled her, she had bite marks on her legs. She was found at a lake. She was found in a posed position.

All four are victims of the same killer.

Do you see what I mean now: The Police can now safely say: That there might be a probable serial killer in their midst.

Spree Killer:

Pissed off at the whole world especially the people at work, where he was fired yesterday.

H wakes up one morning grabs his gun and goes to work, shoots the security guard, the secretary, the boss, his supervisor, then he goes across the street, shooting anyone in his path. The girl at the bus stop, the man riding his bike, the women leaving the store.

He is wallking down the street, people are hiding, he is shot dead by a Police Sharpshooter.

That is an example of a spree killer........on a killing spree

Nowhere in the site i have started does it say "these unsolved homicides are connected"..nor does it say that the "Missing" are connected either. Simply and overhead view, with names and dates for people to do their own research and decide for themselves which might be connected and which might not be connected.

Did i say that the movie "The Vanishing" was a true story? No. It was an accurate example of how some predators practice.
Cyberlaw...Be very careful when reading between the lines where there is nothing written. Do you ever get out from behind the computer and actually look into old news articles from before the days of internet? Just curious.

There were a few common things running through the cases of the women murdered.
Many were missing persons--some for several years.
Many were thought to have run away to start a new life.
Many also worked in jobs in nursing homes or hospitals and were known to wear uniforms.
All were believed to have been stabbed (except a couple of earlier murders which were believed to be connected...they were strangled).

One of the things that connected the cases for police was an autopsy done on one women's badly decomposed body...a V-shaped cut into a bone was believed to have been caused by a knife wound similar to other bodies found.

When the originally disappeared or were reported as missing some had been seen walking, one was at a pay phone, one woman's car was found abandoned.

Lynda Moore apparently did not work in a job that required a uniform, was last seen alive at her home and found on her property. What tied her to the Connecticut Valley Serial Killer is the knife wounds.

Until these missing women are found either sipping Pina Colata's on Bimini or dead in the woods in NH nobody can say with any degree of certainty whether these women are alive or dead or whether the cases are connected. In most of the cases believed by police to be connected, there doesn't appear to be any forensic evidence. In fact in many there isn't even a known crime scene...no signs of a struggle, no witnesses (at least none who have come forward, it would appear).

CyberLaw said:
I did not find any of the previous links factually regarding the alleged Conn. Serial Killer. I did not find anything informative about it either.

I thought this thread was about the so called missing women in NH, not a historical "alleged" serial killer in another state.
Yes, this thread IS about "so called" missing women in NH (and VT). Take a look at a map, and you will see that these two states are:
1. next to each other,
2. separated by the Connecticut river, and
3. they happen to be small states, and the murdered & missing are scattered around and across the river in both states. The state of Connecticut has nothing to do with this!

Have you checked out the book "The Shadow of Death: The Hunt for a Serial Killer" yet? At the time some of these women went missing or turned up dead, a killer named Gary Schaefer was plying his trade in the area. He killed at least 3 women up until 1983, but there were other murders happening at the same time that were unlike his, and so this forensic psychologist and author got together with the police and other investigators to check it out. THAT is the connection some of us are talking about.

From one of the letters, a man was arrested and apparently these so called "serial killings stopped". So the relevance of this to this thread would be??

I "googled" Conn. Serial Killer - it returned Michael Ross, we all know about him and the death penalty. But it did not return anything about the "alleged historical serial killer" from the 1970's.

So enough already........

Try "Connecticut River Valley killer" and "Valley Killer." No wonder your "google" didn't help you. Golly, I found a few right off.

http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/coldcases/valleykiller.html

Here's a post from someone clumping these cases all about 20 miles around Claremont, NH (across the river from VT):
http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm93744.html

Another from the same board, calling them "Connecticut River Knife murders" :
http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm66281.html

Another post:
http://p075.ezboard.com/fisthatso89415frm46.showMessage?topicID=166.topic

A blurb from the AP in The Tech (MIT paper) from April, 1986, right after Bearnice Courtmanche's remains were found:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/archives/VOL_106/TECH_V106_S0356_P002.pdf
"Task force focuses on border murders
A special New Hampshire-Vermont task force investigating
possible links in murders along their borders will
focus on four of the deaths. Assistant Attorney General
Robert Muh of New Hampshire said there is no concrete
evidence that any of the killings are linked, but that no
matter how many killers there are, they are still free and
may kill again.

Muh said the deaths the group will focus on include
those of two women whose bodies were found in woods in
the same section of Newport, who disappeared in 1984.
They were 27-year-old Ellen Fried of Claremont, whose
remains were found in September, and 17-year-old Bernice
Courtemanche, whose skeletal remains were found
last weekend.(AP)"

So "enough already" right back atcha. If you can't see any similarities, and I doubt you will as you don't seem to be grasping the most simplest facts- like location- then just don't read our posts. They appear to agitate you. :waitasec:

uniform connection-Maura Murray was enrolled as a NURSING student at the time of her disappearance. And CyberLaw is correct in that I misspoke about the "cooling off" period differentiating spree and serial killers(I am certainly a big enough person to admit I made a mistake!). But as pointed out by Hammerized-obviously CyberLaw only cares about correcting others-since as Hammerized pointed out NOWHERE did any of us state that the state of Connecticut was referenced-the Connecticut river was! And also-being originally from a large city(Philadelphia), you would expect a certain number of unsolved homicides and unlocated missing persons in proportion to the total number of people living in that area-and I certainly find it difficult to reconcile, from a statistical standpoint, the "groupings" of missing and murdered concentrated the way they are in relation to the actual number of folks living in these areas! :razz:

Bring Maura home!

Oh please, talk about making ado about nothing.

Please tell me how this link is referrenced to Maura Murray.

LE uses the word, possible. You see they know what they are talking about.

When I read a news report saying that all of these "many" crimes are linked, then I will say O.K.

But isn,'t there enough crime in the USA to not "imply" another serial killer, when there is none.

From the posts I READ, it seems that some of you want all of the missing women to be linked.

A serial killer in our midst, boys, girls, young, old, runaways, hitchiking, traveling, at rest stops, not at rests stops, in uniform, not in uniform, mothers, single women, elderly, in home, not at home, isolated, by a pay phone.

I am going to look up the population in NH/Vermont and compare it to other states, unsolved killings, missing women.

Only if I find an "extraordinary" amount in NH/Vermont then would I be interested.

They would all have to have other similiarities also.

A "blurb' from 1986, what about 2005, something recent.

Not almost 20 years ago. I guess nothing came from that investigation into the so called Conn. Valley Serial Killer.

What is relevant and factual to date.

Thank you gatetrekker, it go to a person character to admit they are wrong. Even more so to do it publicly.

Unfortunately I am right often, mistaken infrequently, but yes I do admit when I am wrong also.

I look at it as an unpleasant learning experience.

As someone pointed out, NH is a rural state dottted with small and larger cities/town/counties

So it makes sense that a "killer" would dispose of a body in a rural area, as NH/VT terrain.

So finding bodies in rural areas is not unusual.

Remember LE has the knowledge, evidence, reports, investigative techniques that average people are not privvy to.

No one yet to my knowledge in LE has said that all of the "unsolved killing and or missing women are connected".

The simple fact that bodies are all over the state would lead me to believe that no serial killer exists.

Guess what bodies may be found in a similar area, but trying to "convince" me of a serial killer by location alone would be "irresponsible" on my part, if I took notice.

You mean someone has written a book on this so called "serial killer", gee, I wonder how much money they made off this "theory" that a serial killer is or was running around NH/VT.

It makes sense for them to perpetuate this myth to sell books.

I know when other countries issue and advise tourists about travel advisories to the USA that they warn about racism and gun violence, but not serial killers.

I mistakenly scrolled through the posts last night without signing in...the "ignore" list only works when one is signed in. It seems the local LE were concerned enough back in the 80's to call in the FBI and profilers. They obviously felt there were enough similarities to look seriously at the issue of the bodies of women turning up murdered...A good place to search is the Union Leader...problem is they charge for articles. Note the dates on the intro to the articles below:

Published on July 21, 1989, Article 62 of 65 found.

Police Probe Ties Between Trucker, Unsolved Murders

Publication: Union Leader, The (Manchester, NH)

New Hampshire State Police are working with the FBI to see if there is a link between the unsolved murders of nine women in the Connecticut River Valley since 1981 and a truck driver charged Tuesday with kidnapping a Vermont woman, according to state police Lt. Thomas Winn.

Winn said Lt. Clay Young, who worked on the task force that investigated the unsolved murders, will share information with the federal investigators.

Published on July 21, 1989, Article 63 of 65 found.

Kidnap Suspect Probed in Webb Slaying Possible Links to 9 Unsolved Connecticut Valley Homicides Also Investigated

Author: NANCY WEST Union Leader Staff

Page Number: 1

Correspondent

CONCORD - A New York truck driver charged with a Vermont kidnapping will be scrutinized for any link to the slaying of Pamela Webb, as well as nine unsolved homicides in the Connecticut River Valley since 1981, according to Assistant Attorney General Andrew W. Serell.

Seems that not only did LE question whether there was a serial killer they, too questioned the connections with deaths of women found murdered long after the initial murders and at least one who disappeared from Maine. I'd have to go back, but I believe that the truck driver was only prosecuted for the abduction. There are at least two other cases where FBI profilers were called in...can't find the article at the moment.
The following is an enlightening article...KEEP IN MIND I AM IN NO WAY SAYING ANY OR ALL OF THESE CASES ARE RELATED....but LE obviously think that some are. Several of the persons on the list were stabbed and/or strangled...(I have researched many of them and many appear on Boxerz list)

Published on January 4, 2000, Article 1 of 16 found.
Resolution in murder case may provide some comfort to family. Unsolved deaths in new Hampshire since 1970

Author: CISSY TAYLOR Union Leader Staff
Page Number: a2

Part Two of a two-part series on unsolved homicides from the past 30 years. The first part ran in yesterday's Union Leader. -----

By CISSY TAYLOR Union Leader Staff Daniel O'Connell was 28 years old when he was murdered and his body dumped in a sand pit off Route 106 in Loudon. An unidentified couple trying out their new camper found the remains of the Massachusetts man on Oct. 31, 1971. His is the first identified person on a list of 100 unsolved homicides in New

(I put in a search for Pamela Webb and this article came up)

You may also want to read the latest at the Union Leader...today

5½ hours of fear in Derry

By PAT GROSSMITH and KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader News

Charles L. Rawlings admitted he abducted a woman from a city street, slit her throat, forced her into his pickup truck, bound her with tape and then drove to Derry where he raped her repeatedly, according to court records.

Manchester police continue to investigate the assault and are also looking into whether Rawlings may be linked to any other similar unsolved crimes, including past homicides, O'Leary said.

"We are looking at any past conduct that may be relevant," he said. "Whenever we have cases like this, we always go back through our records to see if anything else is similar or there may be a link."

That includes reviewing the unsolved murders of several Manchester women during the last 10 years, he said.

They include Rosalie J. Miller, 36, of Manchester whose strangled body was found in Auburn in 1997 and Mindy S. West, 31, whose strangled body was discovered in the woods off Huse Road in Manchester in 1998.

Police also are investigating the murder of Amie Lynn Riley, 20, of Manchester, who disappeared after leaving a Manchester nightclub Aug. 15, 2003. Her decomposed body was found in a shallow Manchester pond in April 2004.

I have watched the inter NH news tickers....watching the last tenious "bust" of Rawlings.....finding myself folding my fingers and thinking.."maybe they captured those perpetrating distroying people and others lives, in southern NH.... Lunceford, Riley too...there are several victims inthat area of NH, Manchester, to the MA line.

Boxerz said:
Nowhere in the site i have started does it say "these unsolved homicides are connected"..nor does it say that the "Missing" are connected either. Simply and overhead view, with names and dates for people to do their own research and decide for themselves which might be connected and which might not be connected.QUOTE]

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the posts on this thread....quite a while ago I came across an article from the Manchester Union Leader...it is written in January of 2000, I believe and lists 100 or more unsolved homicides in NH. I went back and reread the copy I had purchased...one of the things that I noticed was that about a third were either stabbed and/or strangled or the remains had apparently so badly decomposed that the cause of death was undetermined. I know a few of these cases have since been 'solved' and I know that there are more cases since 2000.... Other than the cause of death, I wasn't able to find out too much about the older cases or some of the newer cases for that matter, so I can't give other similarities in the cases.

One thing occured to me when I was thinking about these cases recently...from what I've read serial killing is not suspected until there are three potentially connected cases (per LE sources). It saddens me to say that I realized I would rather believe that there were 11 or fewer serial killers than 33 individual murders who are roaming our streets...literally getting away with murder. Keep in mind these numbers only reflect those who were stabbed, strangled or whose cause of death was undetermined, there are approximately 66 more on the list...I don't know whether any of these cases are connected...LE which has far more information that I do doesn't appear to know for sure from the most recent article I read where they are looking into someone for allegedly abducting and stabbing a woman (posted on this thread) and looking at possible connections to other homicides. I guess I'm just glad that they are looking at these older cases again, and that these women and their families are not being forgotten.

No one here has mentioned Brianna Maitland, who disappeared from the northern NH/VT area just before the Maura Murray disappearance. The families tried for months to get LE to investigate a possible connection between the two cases, and it was only after about 9 months that LE began to consider the possibility that the cases might have been linked in some way. I haven't seen or heard much about the Maitland case recently, does anyone know what is going on with it?

Hi Gumshoe ... It's just a small thing, but in your post you say Briana disappeared just before Maura Maurray ... it was actually the other way around. Maura went missing 2/9/04 and Brianna disappeared 3/19/04.

I am sorry to say, I hear precious little about either case up here on the local news. Which is why I visit these boards I guess, because I live here and I get nervous. There have certainly been enough mysterious disappearances, missing people and remains found in this area for me to take notice, but even when you are looking for it, it is not easy to find information. Some posts I've read on this subject of missing from this area are quite chilling and I must say it has been enough to open my eyes to possible dangers that I wouldn't have considered before in my "sleepy little town".

nhjane said:
I am sorry to say, I hear precious little about either case up here on the local news. Which is why I visit these boards I guess, because I live here and I get nervous. There have certainly been enough mysterious disappearances, missing people and remains found in this area for me to take notice, but even when you are looking for it, it is not easy to find information. Some posts I've read on this subject of missing from this area are quite chilling and I must say it has been enough to open my eyes to possible dangers that I wouldn't have considered before in my "sleepy little town".

Honestly nhjane:
I just started looking at this disappearance in NH/VT this weekend, and believe me, IF I lived there, I'd be nervous. Someone posted a link to two maps, one missing, one unsolved murders. The spooky thing is from what little I know, it looks like in 2001 there are several *missing* and 2004 several more *missing* around Manchester, NH. IMHO only, the LE in that area would be remiss if they did not look at these cases as related. I think they need a task force.

In the 80's, I lived in Oregon, and the big thing there was the Green River Killer in Washington State. But, .......then it stopped,.............for awhile,...........then began again. Anyway, part of the problem was some of the bodies weren't found for months and months. Then they'd suddenly find one, then another close by, then another........IF you've studied Ted Bundy, you know why they weren't able to find the bodies for awhile....... :eek:

:confused: Something's up in your neck of the woods, IMO, MOO. Please be careful!!

JMHO
fran

NhJane,
I've been lurking here for such a long time now and finally decided to voice my own opinions. Anyways I don't think you could have been any more tactful while still getting the point across! I wish I could convey myself the same way!

Cyberlaw, Perhaps serial killer is the wrong term. Possible repeat offender? Would that suit better? You seem to be getting caught up in the technicalities about what specifically defines a serial killer. Granted, cases should not be linked together just because they happened in the same area or because there's a need to find one suspect responsible for it all. But certainly there is cause to pay attention to these cases, even if it's not all the work of one person, at the very least there is evidence that LE in these VT/NH areas either doesn't care about solving them or they aren't the brightest crayons in the box w/ enough skills to solve them.

Going back to your cookie cutter definition of a serial killer, you seem to be forgetting recently solved cases like the BTK serial killer. He started killing nearly an entire family with the exception of one young son and then moved on to women living alone, some young..some old. Was there a pattern there? Not really, maybe after awhile, but definitely not initially. It went on for decades, probably at least partially because of the very philosophy to which you adhere re: what exactly defines a serial killer. Not every serial killer is going to be like the Vancouver, B.C. pig farm slayings where all the victims show up buried on one demented guy's pig farm. It just doesn't happen that way.

Fran,
Thanks so much for the vote of suspicion, sometimes I think I might be jumping at shadows here, but I can not deny the sinking feeling I get when yet another person is "missing" from the NH/VT area, or worse yet, human remains are found. I think SilkyBoxers puts it into perspective best just by gathering the information together in one place. It's rather unnerving for me considering that this is my neighborhood. I think perhaps some people here do not grasp just how close NH VT and ME are and how easily one could consider the entire area as a whole. Less than an hour or up to 3 hours of driving could take you to all 3 states not to mention Mass. I have often wondered if given our relatively small population, do the statistics indicate a high percentage of missing and murdered? Any info on that anyone?

Marisa,
Thank you for the compliment and I'm so pleased that you decided to voice your opinion (I've been lurking here a while myself) and I thought you did a great job of saying what's on your mind, don't stop now, It's important.
Are you from NE by any chance?

nhjane said:
just how close NH VT and ME are and how easily one could consider the entire area as a whole. Less than an hour or up to 3 hours of driving could take you to all 3 states not to mention Mass.
And Canada. I recall reading a while ago that Louise Chaput (slain while hiking Mt. Washington area) somehow worked with some unsavory people in her job (bikers, druggies? Counseling? I forget, but something along those lines) and at least one person close to her suspected that an individual she met through her job stalked her from Canada and killed her in NH.

I have often wondered if given our relatively small population, do the statistics indicate a high percentage of missing and murdered? Any info on that anyone?

Yeah, I was checking out the stats (Uniform Crime & DOJ) online a while ago. Very strange stats for NH and VT when broken down by sex of victims, manner of death (stabbing/strangulation) and years of death. Remove the "solveds" from those years, and the numbers definitely stuck out- IMO.

Although we do not know if there is a serial killer in the NH VT area, it seems it could be a possibility.

The following are facts vs myths regarding serial killers. These facts were compiled by Dr. Maurice Godwin. Dr. Godwin has worked with the family of Maura Murray and it is his opinion that someone has harmed Maura......of course, his opinion is of no more importance than that of any others, but I would assume that it is a very educated opinion. I do hope that he is mistaken.

Serial Killers

Myths and Facts

Myths

Facts

There are very few black serial killers

16% of serial killers are black

Most are married

17% were found to married

Most are unemployed

51% were employed

Most have high school education

44% were high school graduates