NJ NJ - Charlotte Loomis, 14, Eatontown, 1 Sept 1972

This year will mark 50 years since she went missing...
charlotte_jean_loomis_1.jpg

Charlotte Jean Loomis, 14
Missing since September 1, 1972

OK, Carol has also just passed away...
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/indystar/obituary.aspx?n=carole-fleming&pid=155445298#fbLoggedOut

So her husband was Alvin (Bud) Fleming who has also passed away in 2008...

Alvin Fleming Obituary - Indianapolis, Indiana - Flanner and Buchanan Funeral Center Market Street

So although not 100% certain, given that Charlotte went to stay with her sister/husband on an Army base we can assume that Charlotte was with Carol and Alvin (Bud) Fleming on the 1st September 1972 and they were the last 'known' people to see her alive - as they were putting her on a plane in New Jersey to fly to Detroit.
I feel confused. Here they mention Carole's husband was Thomas Fryday:
Charlotte Loomis

Edit: Ok, reading the comments on this web, it appears Carole married Thomas Eugene Fryday in 1971, then divorced in 1975 and married Alvin Fleming.

Last edited:
Hello. This is my first message on this forum, and it is directed to anyone interested in the Charlotte Loomis case, especially to her family.

In September, 1972, I was living in north New Jersey. On a Friday afternoon at about 4PM - my best guess was it was either the 8th or the 15th - a man tried to lure me from my backyard where I was playing in my sandbox. He called out to me from the road and asked me if I wanted to go for a walk. I ignored him but when I looked up, he was walking down the driveway towards me. I ran into my house, slammed and locked the door, and that was that. He didn't get me and I wasn't physically hurt, but I was traumatized with fear. I was four years old. I was so traumatized I couldn't talk about it. I never told an adult about it at the time, and so it wasn't reported to law enforcement.

For years I was afraid of this man, afraid he was going to come back and get me, and for years it was just too upsetting for me to talk about. By the time I could talk about it, I was in my twenties, and it was something that had happened a long time ago. It seemed pointless by that time to report it to the police. This was also before the internet was a thing, so I couldn't imagine any way what little bit of information I had could be useful to anyone else. I put it to the back of my mind.

I'm now 54 years old. About four months ago, I came across a solved-cold-case video on youtube which, long story, shorter, brought up old memories - the perpetrator in the youtube video seemed very much like he could be the guy who tried to kidnap me - and I begin thinking about this man who had tried to kidnap me, and about other things that I witnessed in 1972. For the first time ever, I began thinking about my own experience analytically, forming theories, and connecting dots. I then began to wonder if there were any other cases similar to mine around the same time and the same place. I went online and learned about Charlotte's case. She went missing on September 1st, which same as my attempted abduction, was on a Friday. The Newark airport, which is one possible place she went missing from, is only 30 miles from where I lived. She, like me, had blond hair and blue eyes.

I chewed and chewed on everything I could remember, like: I remember vaguely what the man looked like, I remember an unfamiliar car with out-of-state plates - I'm pretty sure they were New York plates - that was parked in an unusual location that same weekend, and I remember the smell of decomposing flesh in the same location where that car was parked, along a wooded stretch of a back road. I put everything together and sent out a statement of my account to the FBI, the New Jersey State Police Missing Person's Unit, two local police departments that could possibly have interest in or jurisdiction over this case, if my suspicion of a body dumped at a specific location is correct, and also to one other local police department, the town where the possible suspect - the perpetrator in the youtube video - was living at the time.

I haven't heard back from any of them, and I don't know if they will even take seriously a report that is 49 years old from someone who was four years old at the time. I did mention Charlotte's name in my account to bring their attention to the possibility my case is connected to hers. I am hoping it will catch the eye and heart of someone and they will go out to the wooded location I mentioned and have a serious look around. If I wasn't now disabled, I would do it myself. But whether they do or do not take it seriously, I know what I know, and I want to make every effort to share what I know with anyone who might want to know it.

I realize there are different theories about Charlotte, like maybe she ran away. Maybe she's living well somewhere and doesn't want to be found. But in case her case is in any way connected to mine, I wanted to make myself available for questions. I'll respond to any posted here.

Last edited:
Hello. This is my first message on this forum, and it is directed to anyone interested in the Charlotte Loomis case, especially to her family.

In September, 1972, I was living in north New Jersey. On a Friday afternoon at about 4PM - my best guess was it was either the 8th or the 15th - a man tried to lure me from my backyard where I was playing in my sandbox. ...

...I put everything together and sent out a statement of my account to the FBI, the New Jersey State Police Missing Person's Unit, two local police departments that could possibly have interest in or jurisdiction over this case, if my suspicion of a body dumped at a specific location is correct, and also to one other local police department, the town where the possible suspect - the perpetrator in the youtube video - was living at the time.

I haven't heard back from any of them, and I don't know if they will even take seriously a report that is 49 years old from someone who was four years old at the time. I did mention Charlotte's name in my account to bring their attention to the possibility my case is connected to hers. ...

Welcome to Websleuths, and thank you for your post. When Cold Case detectives are working on old cases, information like yours is very much appreciated and accepted.

You might not hear back from them, but if not, call them and follow up on the tip you sent in.

I feel confused. Here they mention Carole's husband was Thomas Fryday:
Charlotte Loomis

Edit: Ok, reading the comments on this web, it appears Carole married Thomas Eugene Fryday in 1971, then divorced in 1975 and married Alvin Fleming.

Are we allowed on this site to discuss something that has been posted on the page you linked?

Maybe her sister Laura can become a verified member so that we may be able to discuss what her theories clearly are.

I wonder if law enforcement verified the phone call to her brother before he passed?

If what is said can be verified by her sister then I can see why folks think she never left NJ.

Hi all, im new here but wanted to help answer some questions...
I was a founding administrative member of The Doe Network. I was one of the original 8 that put it together. I was the recipient of Charlotte's submission to Doe before she was listed anywhere else, and living in NJ I was also the one who handled the rule out with the Atlantic Highlands jane doe.
Her sister (not the one who was in NJ, another sister) submitted her to Doe. That sister VERY strongly felt she never left NJ, insinuating perhaps she never made it to the airport. When I went back to the sister with the AH jane doe, she was sure she was right in whatever theory she had, but the dentals were way off. They did DNA with charlotte anyway, and it wasnt her.
So, one sister submitted her to Doe in late 2003 or early 2004. Rule out with AH doe was in 2004, because it was after my april 04 appearance on GMA.
This case has really bothered me always... but i dont think she ever left nj.
Was the sister you spoke with Laura, perhaps?

Thanks for the welcome! I have both my babies in school now and have the sleuthing bug again 😉

Yes, I got the feeling she was casting a bit of suspicion on the older sister and brother in law.

Their family dynamics were really strange.
This sounds like it was Laura. I hope she becomes a member here to speak her truth.

In September, 1972, I was living in north New Jersey. On a Friday afternoon at about 4PM - my best guess was it was either the 8th or the 15th - a man tried to lure me from my backyard where I was playing in my sandbox. He called out to me from the road and asked me if I wanted to go for a walk. I ignored him but when I looked up, he was walking down the driveway towards me. I ran into my house, slammed and locked the door, and that was that. He didn't get me and I wasn't physically hurt, but I was traumatized with fear. I was four years old. I was so traumatized I couldn't talk about it. I never told an adult about it at the time, and so it wasn't reported to law enforcement.

For years I was afraid of this man, afraid he was going to come back and get me, and for years it was just too upsetting for me to talk about. By the time I could talk about it, I was in my twenties, and it was something that had happened a long time ago. It seemed pointless by that time to report it to the police. This was also before the internet was a thing, so I couldn't imagine any way what little bit of information I had could be useful to anyone else. I put it to the back of my mind.

I'm now 54 years old. About four months ago, I came across a solved-cold-case video on youtube which, long story, shorter, brought up old memories - the perpetrator in the youtube video seemed very much like he could be the guy who tried to kidnap me - and I begin thinking about this man who had tried to kidnap me, and about other things that I witnessed in 1972. For the first time ever, I began thinking about my own experience analytically, forming theories, and connecting dots. I then began to wonder if there were any other cases similar to mine around the same time and the same place. I went online and learned about Charlotte's case. She went missing on September 1st, which same as my attempted abduction, was on a Friday. The Newark airport, which is one possible place she went missing from, is only 30 miles from where I lived. She, like me, had blond hair and blue eyes.

I chewed and chewed on everything I could remember, like: I remember vaguely what the man looked like, I remember an unfamiliar car with out-of-state plates - I'm pretty sure they were New York plates - that was parked in an unusual location that same weekend, and I remember the smell of decomposing flesh in the same location where that car was parked, along a wooded stretch of a back road. I put everything together and sent out a statement of my account to the FBI, the New Jersey State Police Missing Person's Unit, two local police departments that could possibly have interest in or jurisdiction over this case, if my suspicion of a body dumped at a specific location is correct, and also to one other local police department, the town where the possible suspect - the perpetrator in the youtube video - was living at the time.

I haven't heard back from any of them, and I don't know if they will even take seriously a report that is 49 years old from someone who was four years old at the time. I did mention Charlotte's name in my account to bring their attention to the possibility my case is connected to hers. I am hoping it will catch the eye and heart of someone and they will go out to the wooded location I mentioned and have a serious look around. If I wasn't now disabled, I would do it myself. But whether they do or do not take it seriously, I know what I know, and I want to make every effort to share what I know with anyone who might want to know it.

I realize there are different theories about Charlotte, like maybe she ran away. Maybe she's living well somewhere and doesn't want to be found. But in case her case is in any way connected to mine, I wanted to make myself available for questions. I'll respond to any posted here.
For the record, a police investigation conducted in 2022 yielded no evidence that my case was related to Charlotte's.

I don't know for sure at this point, this actually reminded me that I need to follow up on something.

From what I understand, the information on this case was provided by relatives who were very young when Charlotte went missing. The sister and brother in law that Charlotte was staying with are deceased. I did some searches of his military history and it looks like he was stationed in Virginia, not New Jersey, when Charlotte went missing. I haven't been able to 100% confirm this, when I tried to request his military records, the office who handles these requests was shut down due to Covid. I need to try again. I was able to confirm he was in Virginia just before and just after. (His name was Thomas Fryday if anyone wants to dig. IIRC he married Charlotte's sister in Virginia shortly before the disappearance and a newspaper article placed him at a base in Virginia just after she went missing - or something like that)

I have been in contact with one of the younger relatives who said they thought Charlotte was in New Jersey but wasn't 100% sure.

Several years ago I ran across a genealogy forum post where someone was asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of Charlotte, but said in his post that she was last seen at Fort Lee, VA.

Although it's very possible, I'm not 100% convinced she was in NJ at all.

Charlotte Jean Loomis, age 14, Missing since 1 September 1972

charlotte_jean_loomis_1.jpg
charlotte_jean_loomis_2.jpg

Charlotte, circa 1972; Age-progression to age 54 (circa 2012)
  • Missing Since 09/01/1972
  • Missing From Eatontown, New Jersey
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 3/24/1958 (65)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 115 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Charlotte has a scar on her forehead. She has previously fractured her forearm.

Details of Disappearance​

Charlotte was last seen in Eatontown, New Jersey on September 1, 1972. She was staying with her sister-in-law, who was stationed at an army base. She was supposed to take a flight from Newark International Airport to Midland Bay City Saginaw International Airport in Michigan to go home to her parents, who lived in Detroit.

Charlotte apparently never arrived in Michigan, although her luggage did. She has never been heard from again. The circumstances of her disappearance are unclear.

Investigating Agency​

• Eatontown Police Department 732-389-7649
LINKS:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member