NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Officials Say Money The Motive In Family Slaying

• Nov 29, 2018 Updated Apr 6, 2022
The Latest on the murder charges filed in the killing of a New Jersey family of four at their mansion (all times local):

Prosecutors say financial motives led a New Jersey technology executive to kill his brother, the brother's wife and their young children before setting fire to their two homes.

Paul Caneiro has been in custody since authorities accused him of setting fire to his own home. His lawyer has maintained his innocence. Attorney Robert Honecker did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the newest charges.

The Nov. 20 fire at Paul Caneiro's home took place hours before flames were discovered at the Colts Neck mansion where Keith Caneiro and his family lived.

@Niner -- I don't see anything new/updated other than perhaps announcing that PC has been in custody since he was accused. Also, there are no new charges-- don't think that sentence is an update but old news from 2018.

Thanks @Seattle1 ! Darn...

You're welcome. :)

And as you know, NJ records kill me!!! I'm having the same issue where I have to wait (albeit impatiently) for any crumb of MSM or court information on the 2019 NJ murder of Carolyn Byington that was allegedly stabbed to death by her co-worker when she left work and went home for lunch.

These two very serious NJ cases going back to 2018 and 2019 only have one thread number because there's never any news to post and/or discuss!! :mad:

Just stumbled across this thread and it triggered some thoughts about another case.

I've been following the Alex Murdaugh case. He's been recently charged with the murder of his wife and 22-year-old son and has also been charged with the theft of millions of dollars from the accounts of clients at his law firm, drug trafficking + other skulduggery.

The connection? Two wealthy men, incredibly successful in their professional lives, who crossed that line into the insanity of familicide/family annihilation.

Was there any implication that Paul Caneiro was attempting to kill his own family?

Just stumbled across this thread and it triggered some thoughts about another case.

I've been following the Alex Murdaugh case. He's been recently charged with the murder of his wife and 22-year-old son and has also been charged with the theft of millions of dollars from the accounts of clients at his law firm, drug trafficking + other skulduggery.

The connection? Two wealthy men, incredibly successful in their professional lives, who crossed that line into the insanity of familicide/family annihilation.

Was there any implication that Paul Caneiro was attempting to kill his own family?
From my notes:
Previously charge with 2 counts of 2nd degree aggravated arson (in connection to fire set @ his Ocean Township home on the same day before fire in Colt’s Neck)

But he got his family out - so I don't believe they were ever targeted. Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. But that is what I recall.

IMO, PC wanted the premeditated death of his brother and brother's family to look like a hit job against both PC/KC so he set his own house on fire earlier in the morning. He also tried to play "hero" by getting his wife and daughters out of their own house.

11/27/18-- https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...-murder-mystery-widens-week-later/2115623002/

Two fires strike one family​

The events of Nov. 20 began early in the morning when police received a call at 5:01 a.m. that Paul Caneiro's home on Tilton Drive was ablaze. Everyone inside escaped unharmed and crews extinguished the blaze, but not before the back of the home and attic were charred.

Less than a day later, authorities accused Paul Caneiro of using gasoline to set the blaze. His attorney, Robert A. Honecker Jr., a former Monmouth County assistant prosecutor, disputes the charge. He said client is a hero who saved his wife and daughter from the fire as the flames spread through their home.

Honecker said Caneiro met firefighters following the blaze and willingly went to Ocean Township police headquarters with his family while police conducted an investigation that quickly pointed toward arson. A neighbor spotted Paul Caneiro in the neighborhood at about noon.

By afternoon, police had cordoned off the home with crime scene tape as news broke of a second fire not far away in a home owned by Keith Caneiro.

Crime scene tape surrounded a home on Tilton Drive in Ocean Township Tuesday afternoon.

The timeline in Colts Neck is less clear. The two Caneiro children didn't show up at the bus stop that Tuesday morning. Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni had said Keith Caneiro and his family were murdered before their mansion erupted in flames, but haven't said exactly what time they may have died.

Footage from news helicopters showed black smoke billowing from the mansion well into Tuesday evening as authorities confirmed first that four people had been killed and later that the entire family had been slain.

Found out what the delay in this case. Also looks like they had a hearing on July 6th.

FREEHOLD — A legal wrangle about trade secrets may not be what you would expect to find in a criminal courtroom.

But for the past several months, that’s been going on in Superior Court here in one of Monmouth County’s most startling criminal cases - that of a couple and their two young children found murdered on the grounds of their smoldering mansion in an affluent Jersey Shore community.

Prosecutors claim cutting-edge technology known as probabilistic genotyping generated evidence from DNA samples, too complicated or too small to be analyzed by traditional scientific methods, that proves Paul J. Caneiro murdered his brother’s family in a greed-fueled dispute in 2018.

Defense attorneys want access to trade secrets so their expert can challenge the pioneering DNA evidence prior to trial.

But the company that owns the technology insists its intellectual property must be protected from competitors, leading to what has been a protracted legal debate about the cloak-and-dagger conditions under which a defense expert will be allowed to examine it.

At this point, a hearing on the reliability of the new method that generated the DNA evidence against Caneiro is the only thing standing in the way of setting a trial date for him.
[.....]
As of last week, the Frye hearing had not been scheduled.

Very long article - a lot more info in it.

@Seattle1 - any news on when or if the Fry hearing might have been scheduled yet? TIA! :)

@JerseyGirl - going thru some oldies- any news on his Frye hearing. Last I have he was in court on 7/6/22.

TIA! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back