NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - nowhere to search. :(

Stupid pings! The answer will come from elsewhere, I think - IMO, MOO, IMOHO.

But WHERE??? What are we missing? I'm thinking it's something simple.

Exactly.

Think of the simplest scenarios.
The more complicated, the more unlikely.

And remember there's something we're missing, believing, taking for granted, believing, depending on others' opinion(s) or assuming.

I still say: search near the home in St George.

Where to search?

The pings encompass nearly the entire Las Vegas valley, as well as I-15 south from St George. AND from what the experts say, those pings could bounce all over your huge valley .... of a million + people.

There's no way to search, absent a specific tip.

Which expert said that?

I modeled the terrain in that area. In order to get a line of sight communication from the afternoon's ping to evening lights would require an 800 foot tower.

I did the math and verified it with an autocad model using the elevations from evening lights all the way to the north of Whitney ranch. It takes into account the curvature of the earth and everything.

GSM towers have a theoretical range of 13 miles not 30.
The afternoon ping was about 9 miles from evening lights. His phone went north. No question.

Which expert said that?

I modeled the terrain in that area. In order to get a line of sight communication from the afternoon's ping to evening lights would require an 800 foot tower.

I did the math and verified it with an autocad model using the elevations from evening lights all the way to the north of Whitney ranch. It takes into account the curvature of the earth and everything.

The afternoon ping was about 9 miles from evening lights. His phone went north. No question.

Where would 9 miles from evening lights place it?

Where would 9 miles from evening lights place it?

Going by Google map directions, 9 miles north of Evening Lights could be near the south end of McCarran Airport. McCarran shows as just over 13 miles, but that's driving distance; I'm not sure how far as the crow flies. The 9-mile distance could also be near the I-15/I-215 interchange, the airport rental car return lot, the Las Vegas Outlet Mall, or Sunset Park (the general area near the airport).

Going by Google map directions, 9 miles north of Evening Lights could be near the south end of McCarran Airport. McCarran shows as just over 13 miles, but that's driving distance; I'm not sure how far as the crow flies. The 9-mile distance could also be near the I-15/I-215 interchange, the airport rental car return lot, the Las Vegas Outlet Mall, or Sunset Park (the general area near the airport).

Or, going further east, 9 miles could be in the Whitney Ranch area.

Which expert said that?

I've talked to two; one who worked for a tower company as late as six months ago, and a representative of my own cell phone company (while trying to determine the exact location of "rocket tower").
The tower guy confirmed what swjaxon had learned from his expert: if the nearest tower is busy, the phone will connect with another.
We see a COW brought in, named "Henderson", BUT since it's temporary/movable, its actual location is unknown. That tower, per my tower guy, would not have been renamed every time it was moved - and only the tower owner would know its position at a certain date and time.

I agree, just looking at the trend in the tower hits. I think the trend, where the hits extend to one direction, is more important than one tower. But it's still a vast area, if you consider that radius from each tower hit.
A 13 mile radius is a 26 mile diameter circle.

After the 6:04am hit the next morning (I-515/Russell), the phone is dead. We don't know where it went next.

ETA:
In the James Kim case, where the nearest "town" was Galice OR along a logging road, the retrieval of two text messages from a tower in Glendale, OR (14.5 miles "as the crow flies" BUT we don't knwo the line-of-sight) was part of the solution.

In reading this analysis, I'm still not sure if we're reading what the article calls "handshakes" or "last usage". Everything I see, is "last usage" because we always have an incoming call/outgoing voicemail check associated with it.
Quote from article:
"Even when people aren't on their cell phones, the handsets try to communicate, or "shake hands," with nearby cell towers every 30 seconds to register their location. Companies maintain records of the handshakes, including when the contact was made and signal strength, which can help pinpoint a phone's location."

Triangulations are based on signal strength -- correct? We don't have that.

It's also unlikely that the phone was hitting those towers, while being carried by a walking person. And since the trend of the tower hits shows a northeasterly direction, it seems that there were stops and starts -- like in a vehicle.

After the phone went dead, it's unlikely the phone stopped moving. Looking at the map, I'm just not convinced that it continued moving in that northeasterly direction.

Since there is a COW tower involved (temporary, brought in for high-usage situations):

Does anyone know what kind of MASS events were held in Vegas the weekend of Dec 12th-13th?
I'm thinking of something that would draw a huge crowd, like at the Speedway, some kind of road ralley, a carnival.
Or even a big convention center event, related to "boys toys" (electronics, vehicles, trucks, off-roading, ATVs).

Here, everyone: there are Google maps applications (mashups) that will allow you to measure "as the crow flies", etc.

For maximum utility here and on other cases, I'd recommend setting up a bookmark or putting it in your favorites, 'cause you'll never be able to find it again here ;)

Google Maps "tricks"

I used this one to measure "as the crow flies" from where Steven's car was found, to McCarran International Airport. The results? 9.9 miles.

I've talked to two; one who worked for a tower company as late as six months ago, and a representative of my own cell phone company (while trying to determine the exact location of "rocket tower").
The tower guy confirmed what swjaxon had learned from his expert: if the nearest tower is busy, the phone will connect with another.
We see a COW brought in, named "Henderson", BUT since it's temporary/movable, its actual location is unknown. That tower, per my tower guy, would not have been renamed every time it was moved - and only the tower owner would know its position at a certain date and time.

I agree, just looking at the trend in the tower hits. But it's still a vast area, if you consider that radius from each tower hit.
A 13 mile radius is a 26 mile diameter circle.

After the 6:04am hit the next morning (I-515/Russell), the phone is dead. We don't know where it went next.

ETA:
In the James Kim case, where the nearest "town" was Galice OR along a logging road, the retrieval of two text messages from a tower in Glendale, OR (14.5 miles "as the crow flies" BUT we don't knwo the line-of-sight) was part of the solution.

In reading this analysis, I'm still not sure if we're reading what the article calls "handshakes" or "last usage". Everything I see, is "last usage" because we always have an incoming call/outgoing voicemail check associated with it.
Quote from article:
"Even when people aren't on their cell phones, the handsets try to communicate, or "shake hands," with nearby cell towers every 30 seconds to register their location. Companies maintain records of the handshakes, including when the contact was made and signal strength, which can help pinpoint a phone's location."

Triangulations are based on signal strength -- correct? We don't have that.

It's also unlikely that the phone was hitting those towers, while being carried by a walking person. And since the trend of the tower hits shows a northeasterly direction, it seems that there were stops and starts -- like in a vehicle.

After the phone went dead, it's unlikely the phone stopped moving. Looking at the map, I'm just not convinced that it continued moving in that northeasterly direction.

Since there is a COW tower involved (temporary, brought in for high-usage situations):

Does anyone know what kind of MASS events were held in Vegas the weekend of Dec 12th-13th?
I'm thinking of something that would draw a huge crowd, like at the Speedway, some kind of road ralley, a carnival.
Or even a big convention center event, related to "boys toys" (electronics, vehicles, trucks, off-roading, ATVs).

National Finals Rodeo

12/3 - 12/12

It's huge every year.

National Finals Rodeo

12/3 - 12/12

It's huge every year.

That could require a temporary tower, to handle all the concentrated cell traffic around the Thomas & Mack Center (thanks to google). Research turned up something else.

I'm actually more interested in the associated Cowboy Christmas Gift Show 2009 -- 400 retailers at the Convention Center, each with a booth, retail stock, back stock, and sales.

The retailers generally break down their booths immediately after such shows.

BOTH the rodeo and "gift show" would be opportunities for a temporary job over a weekend, especially if Steven knew an exhibitor who needed help.

Caveat: the cell tower hits aren't in this area (at least while the phone was being used).

Which expert said that?

I modeled a cross section from evening lights to the mall ring circle. There were towers in that area that pinged in the afternoon.

In Google earth I drew a straight line from evening lights to that mall area. I then recorded the elevations given by Google earth along that line in intervals of 0.5 miles, starting at the where Steve disappears from sight in the video and ending just a bit west of the mall.

First, in Autocad I drew a circle the size of the earth. Second, I zoomed in and placed my measured elevation values along 9 miles of the earth sized circle. Third, I placed a 100 foot tower at one end of my drawing at the elevation representing the mall circle. Fourth, I drew a line from the top of that tower to the other end of my drawing 6 feet above (representing Steve's approximate height) the elevation measured at evening lights.

That signal/line ran into ground within a mile of the tower. I had to draw an 800 foot tower to be able to barely clear the miles and miles of terrain with a straight line.

I'll post the drawing on Monday.

I modeled a cross section from evening lights to the mall ring circle. There were towers in that area that pinged in the afternoon.

In Google earth I drew a straight line from evening lights to that mall area. I then recorded the elevations given by Google earth along that line in intervals of 0.5 miles, starting at the where Steve disappears from sight in the video and ending just a bit west of the mall.

First, in Autocad I drew a circle the size of the earth. Second, I zoomed in and placed my measured elevation values along 9 miles of the earth sized circle. Third, I placed a 100 foot tower at one end of my drawing at the elevation representing the mall circle. Fourth, I drew a line from the top of that tower to the other end of my drawing 6 feet above (representing Steve's approximate height) the elevation measured at evening lights.

That signal/line ran into ground within a mile of the tower. I had to draw an 800 foot tower to be able to barely clear the miles and miles of terrain with a straight line.

I look forward to seeing that GSmith. It sounds like you put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Thanks. I wish we knew where all the towers were, so you could do that for all of them. (I know, it's a lot to ask.)

Wasn't Steven originally from Texas? Did he have any experience with rodeos?

Welcome Justice-this is an interesting question...why do you ask? It would be nice to think Steven was off riding and roping somewhere instead of the alternative that has been on a lot of people's minds.

He was from Amarillo, Texas but I don't think he was particularly "cowboy". If you read his FB page, he doesn't even mention country music, and in none of the images, do you see him in cowboy boots or anything like that.

What some of us are thinking, though, is that he could have gone to Vegas to do some work at a venue (ie, for an exhibitor). It would explain him driving down on the 12th -- and there's a possibility he could have met someone there.

It's just another of our wild longshots.

It'd be great if we could get a list of the 2009 Cowboy Christmas exhibitors. Anyone here have connections to the LV Convention Center?

ETA:
My apologies. His likes/dislikes are on his ldslinkup page (opened in 205/2006 and not updated since), and not visible on his private FB page.
Interests: Guitar, volleyball, football, wakeboarding, snowboarding
Favorite Music: Collective Soul, Eve 6, Vertical Horizon, Metallica
Favorite Movies: Sea Biscuit, Cinderella Man
Favorite Books: cat in the hat
Favorite TV: Nova, This Old House

It'd be great if we could get a list of the 2009 Cowboy Christmas exhibitors. Anyone here have connections to the LV Convention Center?

Is this the same thing, but for 2010? http://www.countrychristmas.com/ I'm sure some of the exhibitors are the same this year. And they have a gallery, presumably from previous years. I haven't looked at them yet. Wouldn't it be wild if Steven was in one of those pictures?!?

ETA: I guess this isn't the same show, since the NFR sponsored one is at the convention center and this is at the Sands. They're held during the same time period though, I'm sure to capitalize on all the rodeo-goers.

Is this the same thing, but for 2010? http://www.countrychristmas.com/ I'm sure some of the exhibitors are the same this year. And they have a gallery, presumably from previous years. I haven't looked at them yet. Wouldn't it be wild if Steven was in one of those pictures?!?

ETA: I guess this isn't the same show, since the NFR sponsored one is at the convention center and this is at the Sands. They're held during the same time period though, I'm sure to capitalize on all the rodeo-goers.

It's a different one BUT it's just as important. Thanks for finding that!

What I'm looking for, are "big boys' toys" factory reps, retailers, and accessories dealers. While Steven doesn't appear to have been interested in that kind of thing, he could have been doing work for someone who was. I'm not spotting anything similar on the exhibitor's list, though.

I've learned the trade shows are unionized in Nevada (ie, the people who do the both set-up and tear-down belong to unions). The exhibitors themselves, however, could hire anyone to assist them.

Exhibitors themselves can be pretty transient folks; many are full-timers (almost like carnival workers).

It's probably not relevant that I now have Judy Collins' "Some Day Soon" stuck in my head:

So blow, you old blue northern, blow my love to me
He's ridin' in tonight from California
He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon
Someday soon, goin' with him

It would be a lovely but not very realistic ending if he ran off with a rodeo rider...

It's probably not relevant that I now have Judy Collins' "Some Day Soon" stuck in my head:

So blow, you old blue northern, blow my love to me
He's ridin' in tonight from California
He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon
Someday soon, goin' with him

It would be a lovely but not very realistic ending if he ran off with a rodeo rider...

Moving along with *someone else* who was transient, is about the only "walkaway" scenario I can make sense of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500