NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a matter of life and death, I think one's privacy should go out the window. Also, someone with a lot of skepticism should be involved in interpreting the journal entries.

I didn't mean as a matter of privacy. I meant that, with regard to a personal journal, someone close to Steven may have more insight into the meaning of a particular reference or comment he may have made.

I do feel fairly certain LE and the PI have looked at Steven's journal and that nothing stood out to them. I would like to know if his Mom or brothers read it.

I didn't mean as a matter of privacy. I meant that, with regard to a personal journal, someone close to Steven may have more insight into the meaning of a particular reference or comment he may have made.

I do feel fairly certain LE and the PI have looked at Steven's journal and that nothing stood out to them. I would like to know if his Mom or brothers read it.

Especially his mother. I think she had more perspective on what was going on in his life.

Especially his mother. I think she had more perspective on what was going on in his life.

I agree.

Has anyone noticed the resonating sentiment when Steven's family speaks out to him is that whatever has happened, it's okay? I just can't shake the feeling there is something meaningful to that....

I cannot dismiss the "walk-away" theory since it seems very plausible. People do it. Also, I've never heard one of the families of these disappeared people say, "Oh yeah...we knew he could do something like this." No...they always say, "Oh he would never do something like this."

If we find he left willingly, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I agree.

Has anyone noticed the resonating sentiment when Steven's family speaks out to him is that whatever has happened, it's okay? I just can't shake the feeling there is something meaningful to that....

To me it means they are keeping themselves open to anything being possible...Im not sure of the details of being a thread starter for the conversation in general but, If one were a Missing Adult Runaway...how would you come back???

To me it means they are keeping themselves open to anything being possible...Im not sure of the details of being a thread starter for the conversation in general but, If one were a Missing Adult Runaway...how would you come back???

THIS is the thread for general conversation. We don't need a new thread.

I believe you missed my point. And there is no such thing as a missing adult "runaway."

THIS is the thread for general conversation. We don't need a new thread.

I believe you missed my point. And there is no such thing as a missing adult "runaway."

Im speaking a different thread with a conversation about any Missing Adult Runaways not specific to Steven. If you have a missing adult who might have run away that would be a interesting conversation for sure. When people runaway/or leave on thier own, How would you come back?

Im speaking a different thread with a conversation about any Missing Adult Runaways not specific to Steven. If you have a missing adult who might have run away that would be a interesting conversation for sure. When people runaway/or leave on thier own, How would you come back?

This is not the place for that and, trust me, those cases are few and far between. Still, just read today about a guy who went missing 30 years ago and has been found alive and well.

There was an item in a local paper recently about a woman who had just reconnected with her family after something like 35 years -- she had left home after a blowout fight during the Vietnam protests, and she didn't know they didn't know where she was. She was only living about an hour's drive away. She had always assumed they didn't want to contact her and was astonished when she ran into herself on a missing person page somewhere.

I can't find a link -- apparently this paper doesn't put most of their articles on line :(

This is not the place for that and, trust me, those cases are few and far between. Still, just read today about a guy who went missing 30 years ago and has been found alive and well.

Can you give us the name of this guy....I'd like to read about this one. I heard a detective recently say that walk-aways happen more often than we think. So I accept that possibility that this might be the case with Steven, even if we might question why or how.

I cannot dismiss the "walk-away" theory since it seems very plausible. People do it. Also, I've never heard one of the families of these disappeared people say, "Oh yeah...we knew he could do something like this." No...they always say, "Oh he would never do something like this."

If we find he left willingly, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Families also say "He wouldn't do THAT" (ie, suicide, become knowingly involved in crime, have an alternative lifestyle).

As the latest Tribune article states, the family believes that Steven would come home if he could..

They do not believe Steven walked away from his life. That's the one thing they're rejecting (althoug it's also the only one that says he's likely alive).

According to the Mountain Express, the bones found in the Wood River Valley are those of a man who went missing nine years ago.

Searches didn't find him.
Psychic tips didn't find him, and took searchers away from where he actually was.
Tips from the public led to dangerous mines. He wasn't in them.
The internet didn't find him (see Jay Pitkethly.com).

Nine years later, a hunter finds him - only one ridge over from where the borrowed car had been found.

Searching is hard. When people are in trouble, they curl up in a fetal position in a protected area, to stay warm.

Can you give us the name of this guy....I'd like to read about this one. I heard a detective recently say that walk-aways happen more often than we think. So I accept that possibility that this might be the case with Steven, even if we might question why or how.

Do you have a cite for that, or was it from this story, that I posted recently in the other thread?

The Las Vegas Review Journal: (click here to read full story), but here's a partial quote:

"Turns out Vegas is a very popular place to disappear. About 1,000 people go missing here each month. .... But the majority of new cases are quickly solved when the person in question resurfaces. They might have fought with a spouse, for example, and didn't feel like coming home for a day or two. They might have gone on a binge and holed up in a cheap downtown motel. Plenty of people come to Las Vegas for adventure and fail to check in at home. ... It's great to come visit, but folks need to call their flippin' mom."

I agree.

Notice also that those statements come from the women.

The men in the family are in a bubble (sorry, but it's true). One brother says "we know a thousand things that didn't happen, but don't know the one that did" .... and makes sure we know that Steven was a "man's man" because he engaged in lots of sports.
His father won't even read his journal.

I dunno. If everyone who read it, is of the same religion, or believes anyone mentioned in one of the "nice people", they may not read certain comments as clues to why he left.

We just found out that NO ONE had even fully searched through Steven's personal things, from mid-December through the third week of February.

So LE and all were being told that his passport was missing. That resulted in air manifests and TSA records being unnecessarily checked -- and wasted time and resources.

We also know that the car was moved and driven 375 miles before it was checked for drugs. It was never fingerprinted. What bits and pieces were lost, because the car was not forensically examined? What PI initially hired, would have allowed the car to be moved in that way?

To me, the least likely angle is that Innocent Steven was taken advantage of by someone else.

"Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past"

Chris McCandliss

"Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past"

Chris McCandliss

In my view this is the same for the missing as well as the left behind.

I dunno. If everyone who read it, is of the same religion, or believes anyone mentioned in one of the "nice people", they may not read certain comments as clues to why he left.

We just found out that NO ONE had even fully searched through Steven's personal things, from mid-December through the third week of February.

So LE and all were being told that his passport was missing. That resulted in air manifests and TSA records being unnecessarily checked -- and wasted time and resources.

We also know that the car was moved and driven 375 miles before it was checked for drugs. It was never fingerprinted. What bits and pieces were lost, because the car was not forensically examined? What PI initially hired, would have allowed the car to be moved in that way?

To me, the least likely angle is that Innocent Steven was taken advantage of by someone else.

They (and LE) clearly had no reason to suspect foul play. I'm sure they never imagined Steven would still be missing, without explanation, all these months later. That's probably a common thing in cases like this. But I think it's also possible they might have an inkling as to why he disappeared.

With regard to the journal...I think every family has certain unique knowledge or "inside" jokes or references that come from growing up together. I know there are some things I might say or refer to that only my brothers would understand. Same with my kids. And my kids have so many things like that between them, it sometimes seems like they're speaking a secret language! I think in the case of the journal, the fact that they're all cut from the same cloth would be a plus. They would be more likely to spot something out of the ordinary - for the brother they know.

I don't want to post his name here, but it's under the resolved cases on the Charley Project website. No story and no explanation; as is often the case when the missing turn up alive and well.

Steven's birthday has come and gone and the one year of him missing is fast approaching, yet no sign of what happened to him. I wish for the sake of the family they could find out what happened to him. Where are you Steven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kforbes862