NY NY - Irondequoit, WhtFem 14-23, 122UFNY, skeletal in shallow grave, front teeth overlap, Jul'88

Here's a newly listed No-Photo NamUs casefile for a girl missing from Rochester NY.

Barbara Ann Bruno
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) <Mod Note: updated link as of October 9, 2022>

I'm putting her up here primarily due to the proximity of Rochester to Irondequoit. Her age and height are right. The timeframe (about 8 years) is a little short compared to the estimated amount of time that the remains were estimated to have been there (i.e., about 15-years according to NamUs).

I looked in Classmates for 1979-1980 yearbooks in Rochester and couldn't find her photo. Unfortunately, Rochester is a large town, and contains many high schools, most of which do not have 1979-1980 yearbooks in Classmates.

I called Det. Mark Bean of the Irondequoit PD (i.e., the contact for Barbara Bruno's MP casefile). I told him that I am trying to locate a photo of her and wanted to know which high school Barbara went to, so I could check the yearbooks. He says that she went to Brockport High School, but she didn't get into any of the yearbooks. He says that they should be getting a photo of her from the family in the next week or two. He also said that they are getting DNA FRS kits back from her family members, and there should be a DNA profile on her soon.

I checked Classmates to see if I could find her photo in the Brockport HS yearbooks. The books for 77, 78, 79, and 80 were all available, but she isn't in any of them. She is not even listed on the "no photo available" lists. I did find three other persons in those books with the surname Bruno, but no Barbara.

They finally uploaded a photo of Barbara Bruno to NamUs - Yay.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) <Mod Note: updated link as of October 9, 2022>

2362218440045078242S425x425Q851_zps67e0e400.jpg

I'm not seeing her as Irondequoit Jane Doe.

2772753450045078242S600x600Q851_zps07237066.jpg

... and she's definitely not Buckskin Girl (as I was thinking might be possible before I saw the photo). That right eyebrow screams Walker County Jane Doe, but (1) she's too old, and (2) the underside of her nose is much different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think Audrey Nerenberg might be Irondequoit Jane Doe, if in fact she had the gold foil dental restoration. Did anyone ever find out from her family whether or not Audrey had this type of dental work??

They finally uploaded a photo of Barbara Bruno to NamUs - Yay.

2362218440045078242S425x425Q851_zps67e0e400.jpg

I'm not seeing her as Irondequoit Jane Doe.

I looked at Barbara again in comparison to IJD, and actually, their facial dimensions are quite similar, especially since that photo was taken around 1976 (i.e., about 4-5 years prior to her disappearance). I was hung up on the chins before, but they aren't that far off. And the forward tilt in Barbara's head in the photo would account for the apparent differences in the height of their forheads.

Here's an interesting MP case that just showed up in NAMPN that I haven't seen elsewhere.

She reminds me of Irondequoit Jane Doe.

Judith Anne Brown
2369809080045078242S425x425Q851_zps766c9e97.jpg

I don't see any foil reconstructions at her upper gumline. But the photo is not entirely conclusive. Robert Zerby told me that the foil restorations would be visible only if the person had a toothy smile.

The main thing I'm noticing is the matching gap/twisted tooth on the upper right (viewer's left).

Eyebrows match. Hairline and part match. Cheekbones and chin match.

Did Judith Brown go missing along with Richard Reisenberg or was it just her that went missing? Did he ever turn up anywhere or go back to Creedmoor where he was an in-patient?

Her sister has a page on the New York missing persons website: <modsnip: broken link/site>

She might be able to answer your question -- there doesn't seem to be any sign of him after that, but he must have gone somewhere.

Disappeared within the approx period of time, height checks out and age checks out, but if she hadn't given birth when she was killed, where would the remains of the baby be found, missing from a state that is close by.

Date and height match, although age is off by one year. She was last seen in NJ, but was supposed to be in MI after her disappearance.

<MOD NOTE: Original links broken; edited to include current link as of October 9, 2022>

Height and age and date work out and she disappeared from the same state, although it would take a while to get to Irondequoit from SI (6 hrs)
There's no mention of gold foil dental fillings, though.

What about Rosemary Buck-she was 20 when she disappeared from the Syracuse area (she was in the habit of hitchhiking)-she was blonde, 5'2", 110 lbs, and wearing a white coat when she disappeared. Unfortunately, she has no dental records, but there is a DNA sample on file-however, Irondequoit Jane Doe has dentals, but they can't retrieve any DNA. Rosemany disappeared in 1973

I just made a follow-up call to Robert Zerby.

With regard to Sheryl Tillinghast, they are unable to obtain her dental records, and he doesn't anticipate that they will be forthcoming. Until they can get dentals on SAT, there is nowhere that they can go on this comparison.

I asked him whether the gold foil dental restorations on her front teeth would be visible in photos of the woman. He said that the restorations were at the gum-line, so they would be visible if the woman had a toothy smile.

He also said that Darlene Polizzi has not been looked at, but that he would contact the Bergen County NJ prosecutor's office to find out if they have dental records for Darlene.

As for a rule-out listing, he was not willing to publicize the list of people who have been looked at and ruled-out.

I read a blog today where a niece of Sheryl Tillinghast's posted that Sheryl's mother never took any of her children to the dentist, which is why there aren't any dental records-and would pretty much eliminate her from consideration as Irondequoit Jane Doe, since it's very unlikely that Sheryl would have had any gold foil restorations.

The main thing I'm noticing is the matching gap/twisted tooth on the upper right (viewer's left).

Eyebrows match. Hairline and part match. Cheekbones and chin match.

Ran across Judith while researching "Kim Tattoo Doe". She is on NamUs with DNA complete. Dentals not in but comment made " Extra lower center incisor. "

<modsnip: broken link>

Rule out:
Barbara Aleksivich 1949 New York
Bonita Bickwit 1958 New York
Sandra Breed 1948 New York
Linda Britton 1944 Ohio
Judith Brown 1957 New York
Rosemary Buck 1953 New York
Cynthia Constantine 1954 New York
Charlotte Heimann 1954 New York
Lynn Luray 1948 California
Denise Sheehy 1954 New York
Rebecca Triska 1943 Pennsylvania

What is the supposed post mortom time of 15 years based on?

What is the supposed post mortom time of 15 years based on?

Just an estimate based on the condition of the bones. Postmortem intervals are difficult to pinpoint.

Thanks Carl...I have been weary of forensic accuracy after the wynarka/belanglo Angels were identified since the profile of the mother, Karlie, was so far off. I came across Erica Franolich, who was living in NY but was from Michigan, and is thought to have to come to foul play at the hands of her husband. She had contacted her brother the day before her disappearance saying she feared for her life and he was suppose to be in touch with her the next day, but she never did and was never heard from again. I've come across her before in looking at UI's, but discounted due to the fact she had had a child. However, with the above case I mentioned with Karlie, that no longer seems grounds to completely rule someone out.

Perhaps her husband said he would take her back to her family, and killed her along the route, or perhaps she left hitchhiking.

I haven't found where exactly in Michigan she was from but looking at maps if leaving middleburgh, NY and heading towards Michigan, you would pass right by the Irondequoit area.

Anywho, here is a link for her, there is no mention of any dental work, so perhaps that does eliminate her.

Erica Jayne Franolich – The Charley Project <Mod Note: updated link as of October 9, 2022>

Would really like to hear anyone's opinion on this, I think it would be nice to just a rule out at least.

I found an email address online for the person handling this case and went ahead and submitted Erica as a possibility. However, I didn't get a response back, so I'm not sure if they even got it.

Thanks Carl...I have been weary of forensic accuracy after the wynarka/belanglo Angels were identified since the profile of the mother, Karlie, was so far off. I came across Erica Franolich, who was living in NY but was from Michigan, and is thought to have to come to foul play at the hands of her husband. She had contacted her brother the day before her disappearance saying she feared for her life and he was suppose to be in touch with her the next day, but she never did and was never heard from again. I've come across her before in looking at UI's, but discounted due to the fact she had had a child. However, with the above case I mentioned with Karlie, that no longer seems grounds to completely rule someone out.

Perhaps her husband said he would take her back to her family, and killed her along the route, or perhaps she left hitchhiking.

I haven't found where exactly in Michigan she was from but looking at maps if leaving middleburgh, NY and heading towards Michigan, you would pass right by the Irondequoit area.

Anywho, here is a link for her, there is no mention of any dental work, so perhaps that does eliminate her.

https://identifyus.org/cases/2607

Apparently she's from Waterford, MI: <modsnip: broken link>

And yes, if you drive from Middleburgh NY to Waterford MI, you go within about 10 miles of Irondequoit.

I didn't realize it at the time but I've been past this area several times while the middlest Carbuff was attending RIT. The location where her body was found is where you wind up if you leave the NY Thruway trying to get to the lake, and realize that the cliffs at that point are really too high to let you get to the water to dispose of a body. Being as there was a grave, I doubt that's what happened, though.

Map: Main Street & Railroad Avenue to Waterford Township

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti