NY NY - Joseph Helt, 17, hiking Sam's Point ice caves, Ellenville, 16 Jan 1987

http://joeheltmissing.wordpress.com/

NEW blog set up about Joe's case. Please feel free to share this link or comment on the blog

I had the blog book marked to check on occasionally but when I went to the blog tonight it says that it has been deleted by the owners. Is there a different blog to keep updated on? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08...d-upstate-n-y-cold-case/#.UaedyvKAWhE.twitter

Twenty five years after a local teenager disappeared, a woman has come forward claiming she knows what happened to him.

Her chilling story is bringing new attention to the case of Joe Helt, a young man who vanished one night.

This part makes me mad! :banghead:

State police though remain unimpressed. They said whatever happened up on that mountain in Ellenville remains a missing persons case, not a homicide. One detective told Young, “We don’t have a body, we don’t have a crime.”

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows how J.L. got his Subaru unstuck the next day? I didn't see this addressed or mentioned in any of the articles that I read. Was there anyone outside of the boys that had been in the Subaru that saw it stuck or helped get it out of the ditch? Just curious.

There are differences in info. in the news stories and blogs. Some reports say the car was stuck, at least one other says it was stalled.

Another thing I've been wondering about, does anyone know if it snowed that night at all.I know a bad snowstorm ruined search efforts, but was there any snow showers on the actual night/morning of the party. Also,when did the last people leave where the party and bonfire was? Is it possible there were any left at 3am when J.H would be walking by? Does anyone know what time the 3 took off in the Subaru? Did the party goers all leave shortly after that?

This is such an odd story....especially the fact that law enforcement seems so uninterested! It's also odd that a mere year or 2 later almost all of the links, Facebook pages and blogs are gone!! Something definitely smells fishy!

This is such an odd story....especially the fact that law enforcement seems so uninterested! It's also odd that a mere year or 2 later almost all of the links, Facebook pages and blogs are gone!! Something definitely smells fishy!

In the summer of 2012 a witness came forward and made a formal statement in the case which implicated certain persons. After that point, one person connected to the case went on the war path, attacking both the witness and the person that witness first contacted with the information. The person the witness first contacted later had to stop helping the family because of health issues. It was later that several websites, blogs and fb pages were shut down by the family in an attempt to placate the person who went on the attack against the witness.

What is sad is that the information contained within that formal statement could solve the case. However, people who have the capability have refused to get the FBI involved and have refused to follow up on a civil lawsuit which could also help solve the case.

Another thing I've been wondering about, does anyone know if it snowed that night at all.I know a bad snowstorm ruined search efforts, but was there any snow showers on the actual night/morning of the party. Also,when did the last people leave where the party and bonfire was? Is it possible there were any left at 3am when J.H would be walking by? Does anyone know what time the 3 took off in the Subaru? Did the party goers all leave shortly after that?

It wasn't snowing the night of the party at all. It was a clear but cold night. The snow storm didn't start until later in the evening on the 17th (a full day after Joe went missing). It isn't known what time the last of the people left the bonfire, but people generally hung out there until the wee hours of the am. No one has come forward with any information about seeing Joe or the others after they left the party. It's not known exactly when Joe & the others left the party, but it was sometime in the late evening into the early am of the next day. The car got stuck around 3am.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows how J.L. got his Subaru unstuck the next day? I didn't see this addressed or mentioned in any of the articles that I read. Was there anyone outside of the boys that had been in the Subaru that saw it stuck or helped get it out of the ditch? Just curious.

J.L. had tried early in the am to get the Subaru out himself (or possibly with others there to help...not quite sure on that one), but he couldn't get it out then. A friend of J.L went with him later that day to help him get the Subaru out. It was a friend with a tow hitch

Is there a map of the area with the location if the party and the location of the stuck car?

Is there a map of the area with the location if the party and the location of the stuck car?

Attached is a map from the 1987 news articles on Joe's case. The map shows where the car supposedly got stuck. It is approx. 2-4 miles from the location of the party, on South Gully Road. The red circle on the map indicates where the party spot was. The area kids had turned the abandoned Mt Cathalia Ski Lodge property (main bldg burned to the ground in early 1980's) into a weekly party spot/hang out. There was an old barn the ski lodge had turned into a bar/fire pit for skiers to warm up in. This old fire pit was where the kids hung out.

Attachments

• 309223_2357878546956_665350_n party spot.jpg
    309223_2357878546956_665350_n party spot.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65
I'm on my phone so the screen is small. The party is on south gully rd and the car is by the back end of the lake?

Am I correct that those roads are not well maintained in the winter?

I'm on my phone so the screen is small. The party is on south gully rd and the car is by the back end of the lake?

Am I correct that those roads are not well maintained in the winter?

Yes, the spot where it was reported that the car was stuck is by the lake, 3-5 miles from the party spot. In the 1987 news reports, a NYS DEC officer stated that there were no foot prints or tracks where the car was reported to be stuck. The party spot is just a few hundred feet from the home of someone who was with Joe that night. You could see that house from the party spot.

The road where the car got stuck was not maintained in winter. S. Gully where the party was located was maintained as people live on that road. The access roads leading to Sam's Point were not maintained.

Are there any photos of the area from the time of the search?

Are there any photos of the area from the time of the search?

Could be in officials case files, not sure about that. I'm just someone who went to school with Joe back then. His disappearance has stayed with me all these years, as it has with several of our classmates. Haven't seen any photos online from the area.

Ok. I was just wondering how much snow was on the ground/roads.

How deep is the lake? Has that been searched?

Ok. I was just wondering how much snow was on the ground/roads.

How deep is the lake? Has that been searched?

I'm attaching a link to copies of all the 1987 news articles on his case so you can read them. https://www.facebook.com/witchyschust/media_set?set=a.1848765859457.111570.1250022293&type=3

Before the big storm that hit the day after Joe disappeared, the area had about a foot of snow already on the ground. The roads that weren't plowed near Sam's Point and some around the lake would have been completely impassable. That's why many question the validity of the story told by others who were with Joe that night. Many think it made no sense that they would drive up that far on unplowed roads in a Subaru at 3am.

In 1990, NYS DEC LT William Morse was quoted in a news article saying "(The renewed interest by State Police) just kinda confirms my own suspicions. You know, right from the beginning, I didn't believe he was up there. The whole thing doesn't add up. There were no tracks on the mountain. He would have left tracks, somewhere."

The lake is deep (about 9 ft in some spots) & it was searched in Nov 1987. They used trained diving teams and equipment. It was supposedly searched again in 2012 by the NYS Police, according to Sam's Point Preserve news that was on their website.

Joe Helt’s sister says that he is buried on Wade Marks’ property:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/insupportofjoehelt/

Tracy Helt January 28, 2014
“As I’m crying n typing at the same time. … I remember that day. ….joes body is buried n billy n wade marks yard under the back balcony. … n I no he’s there. …I WISH SOME ONE WOULD CONFRONT ME ABOUT THAT STATE MENT”

http://www.lindacrystal.com/tag/joe-helt/

Excerpts:

"Someone manipulated the system and Joe is dead. The truth hurts but will surface. Those that know what happened need to come forward or be considered accessories to murder."

"New Information recently surfaced that I believe to be true. A female classmate, Sharri Schwartz, overheard a conversation that Joe was pushed off a mountain and that Joe was dead. She has signed a sworn statement to this and also reported this to the school at the time. So why didn’t officials act on this? Even if it they believed this to be a lie they should have still investigated it as Joe was missing."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back