NY NY - Kingston, Wiltnych Rural Cemetery, WhtMale 30-50, UP6018, w/ photo of man & infant, Aug'88

I submitted the form for comparison with Josef Uterhuber, on DoeNetwork

This is the reply I received:
Hello,

Thank you for this email. I can assure you that the medical examiner’s office has this information and is looking into it. Until they have the official biometrics to compare they cannot officially rule him out.

Sincerely,
Lori

Lori Bruski
Regional Systems Administrator
National Missing & Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

My husband just told me that Unterhuber could mean grave digger or undertaker.

Has anyone tried looking for this guy in the Interpol database?

This is the reply I received:
Hello,

Thank you for this email. I can assure you that the medical examiner’s office has this information and is looking into it. Until they have the official biometrics to compare they cannot officially rule him out.

Sincerely,
Lori

Lori Bruski
Regional Systems Administrator
National Missing & Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Explain this to me please. Did you also submit Josef Uterhuber as a potential on NamUs? He's not in NamUs.

The following fields have been changed:
Clothing and Accessories : Clothing On Body changed from "One pair of green and b lack, plad trousers with pleats. An identifying label is present on the inner aspect of the garment which reads: "Pure New Wool" in English and three other languages. The reverse of the lable reads "Size 98". No fabric defects are present on the pants. Another label is present on the waistband which reads: "Rene" Lezard: Femme & Home". " to "One pair of green and b lack, plad trousers with pleats. An identifying label is present on the inner aspect of the garment which reads: "Pure New Wool" in English and three other languages. The reverse of the label reads "Size 98". No fabric defects are present on the pants. Another label is present on the waistband which reads: "Rene" Lezard: Femme & Home". "

The following fields have been changed:
Clothing and Accessories : Clothing On Body changed from "One pair of green and b lack, plad trousers with pleats. An identifying label is present on the inner aspect of the garment which reads: "Pure New Wool" in English and three other languages. The reverse of the lable reads "Size 98". No fabric defects are present on the pants. Another label is present on the waistband which reads: "Rene" Lezard: Femme & Home". " to "One pair of green and b lack, plad trousers with pleats. An identifying label is present on the inner aspect of the garment which reads: "Pure New Wool" in English and three other languages. The reverse of the label reads "Size 98". No fabric defects are present on the pants. Another label is present on the waistband which reads: "Rene" Lezard: Femme & Home". "

I've read this several times, and can't see the change. Please help me see it. TIA.

It would be good to have a photo of the clothes. Only the shoes photo is available.
Doe network has a photo of the neckless with a cross. Catholic people would use that kind of neckless in the 80s.
I took a second look at European missing and wanted databases and still found nothing for this UID.
The German calendar in his pocket points to a German speaking country of origin and the neckless to a catholic area.

From Doe Network: http://doenetwork.org/cases/1645umny.html

Unidentified Male
Date of Discovery: August 15, 1988
Location of Discovery: Kingston, Ulster County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: August 11, 1988
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Gunshot wound to the head

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 30-50 (most likely 40-50).
Race: White. Believed to be of European descent.
Height: 5'11" to 6'3" (185 cm)
Weight: 185-205 lbs. (84-93 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Appendectomy scar described as an oblique linear scar measuring 4 1/2 inches by 1/4 inch present in the right abdominal quadrant. Uncircumcised.

Medical: Organ absent (most likely appendix).
Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work with maxillary fixed bridge, porcelain fused to white metal.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted.
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Pair of Rene Lezard: Femme & Homme" green/black or blue plaid, pleated pants (size 98) with a label which reads "Pure New Wool" in English and three other languages; pair of brief white underwear with red stripes; "Chemise Lacoste" blue pullover knit shirt (with an alligator profile as the logo); pair of worn, black loafers with black tassels on top and the word "Hikers" printed on the sole of the right shoe along with "9" printed on the inner sole; and a pair of white socks with dark blue and light blue stripes. The shirt and pants show French tags and sizes.

Jewelry: Bulova quartz gold wrist watch with no inscriptions on the back. One thin, delicate, yellow-metallic, chain clasp necklace with a bronze or gold-colored cross attached.

Additional Personal Items: Found in the back pocket of the victim's pants was a soft, black, leather wallet, appearing to be of good quality, The wallet contains a "1988 Comerzbank Calender". Also found was a colored photograph of a white male with long, wavy, brown hair, wearing a green sweater and holding a white infant with a spoon in his mouth and a bib on his chest.

Case History

The victim was found in a wooded area near the Wiltwyck Cemetery behind Pine Grove Avenue in Kingston on August 15, 1988.

I had a few minutes to try to send a few messages to people named George Unterhuber letting them know I'm a missing and unidentified person's advocate in the US trying to find the brother or relative of Josef Unterhuber from Bolzano, Italy who's been missing in the US since January 11, 1988. Asking that they please let me know if they are related to him. I included his Doe Network info.
The Doe Network: Case File 408DMITA - Josef Unterhuber - Missing since January 11, 1988 from Bolzano, Italy.

Vital Statistics -
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 182 cm
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blue eyes; brown, wavy hair. He wears glasses or contacts. His facial hair is red.
Marks, Scars: He has a scar on the inside of his right thigh. He has an old fracture on the left arm close to the shoulder.

Circumstances of Disappearance - Josef Unterhuber was a translator when he disappeared on 11 January 1988. On that day, Josef left for a two weeks vacation. He didn't tell anyone where he was going and never returned.

It was discovered that Josef had requested a Visa for New York at the Vienna airport on the day after his disappearance. On July 7th of the same year he left the State of New York.

On February 12, 1989, the Bolzano Police Station was informed by the Italian Consulate that his passport had been found in a facility for homeless people in Boston.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/408dmita.html

2013 police appeal added extra information
City police are trying again to identify a man who was found dead of a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound
http://www.pressreader.com/

On the picture from http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2013/July/10/Kings_coldcase-10Jul13.htm toddler's bib is properly visible - white with blue (and some kind of creature - not sure if it is cute elephant or mickey mouse with long nose, but it does look familiar - please anyone who recognize it, help? What is it?). I am trying to search anything similar made to narrow down any country of photo origin.
KingsPD_ColdCase1.jpg

Due to bib being blue I am thinking (assumption) that its a boy and could be around 2-3 year old?

Other extra information listed on http://www.operationdoe.org/244/ which I have not seen anywhere else is
Dental: Decedent had a rather large diastema which is an open space between the upper incisors (front teeth)

I am not sure where they took the information from but if you check close up of gentleman on the picture it is very clearly visible that he does have a prominent gap there too.
Close up photo - https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/10163

Al Ka, you can see the Unterhuber case here on websleuth.
The man in the pic is George, the brother of the uid.

Al Ka, you can see the Unterhuber case here on websleuth.
The man in the pic is George, the brother of the uid.

I thought I have missed something, so I have reread whole this and also Unterhuber threads (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?294135-MA-Josef-Unterhuber-32-Boston-11-Jan-1988) to see what you are referring to. Thank you for his submission for comparison to this UID. It would be great if he was a match, but so far it is not confirmed.

I think we can try to search if Unterhuber did have any nephews but personally I do not think it is his brother (George) in the picture (as male adult), but that just my humble opinion and it would be great if I was wrong.

What crossed my mind as well is that men and women are different species. While women would carry cute pictures of all family members, brothers, cousins and their best friends men definitely would not, unless it was someone very significant, like their parent (father in this case) or their children (son).
But again, that is just my humble opinion and I guess anything could be true in this case.

I thought I have missed something, so I have reread whole this and also Unterhuber threads (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?294135-MA-Josef-Unterhuber-32-Boston-11-Jan-1988) to see what you are referring to. Thank you for his submission for comparison to this UID. It would be great if he was a match, but so far it is not confirmed.

I think we can try to search if Unterhuber did have any nephews but personally I do not think it is his brother (George) in the picture (as male adult), but that just my humble opinion and it would be great if I was wrong.

What crossed my mind as well is that men and women are different species. While women would carry cute pictures of all family members, brothers, cousins and their best friends men definitely would not, unless it was someone very significant, like their parent (father in this case) or their children (son).
But again, that is just my humble opinion and I guess anything could be true in this case.

I sent out a few FB PM's last week to people named George Unterhuber but have been really sick, haven't had a chance to read replies. I know one said he doesn't know Josef

I'll see if I'm up to writing a note about him on the MP/UP FB page I have. Normally we do albums but there's only one photo. Too bad LE doesn't release pics of his clothing/ shoes or a recon

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back