NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search to resume serial killer case

Police will again search a South Shore island as part of the Gilgo Beach serial killer case.

The search will begin Tuesday at 9 a.m. and will concentrate on Captree Island, south of the main span of the Robert Moses Causeway bridge. One lane of the Robert Moses Causeway will be closed during the search.

The search is being done "as a result of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's aerial photography," officials said.

I just passed by that area tonight and I am surprised that they didn't have any police vehicles guarding the areas of concern.

The camera in the Black Hawk helicopter is probably a hyperspectral camera that can pinpoint the exact location of human remains. If that is the case, they would know exactly where they need to search and they should guard that area until the search has been done. Unless they are guarding it and I just couldn't see them.

I wonder if the FBI has a persistent surveillance satellite focused on that area.

we've previously posted about Shannan Gilbert's call (or someone else using her phone) to the CVS ph #631-422-1912

there was a neighbor of Brewer's I was checking out a month or so ago who lives just down the street...and tonight I was perusing my notes & it didn't hit me til just now....this neighbor's ph # is only 1 digit different...& he lives on the Fairway. He's a single guy - aged 49.

Can you give us a hint as to which section (or possibly which number) of the CVS phone number is different? I've been trying to figure it out, but I'm not having much luck... TIA :)

goathairjones: Thanks so much for driving by. It's weird how you seem to be able manage person to person contact with people involved in this case. What luck! I am under the weather tonight or I would have a lot more questions.

The numbering for the lots doesn't seem to make any sense.

Can you give us a hint as to which section (or possibly which number) of the CVS phone number is different? I've been trying to figure it out, but I'm not having much luck... TIA :)

I pm'd the details to u

goathairjones: Thanks so much for driving by. It's weird how you seem to be able manage person to person contact with people involved in this case. What luck! I am under the weather tonight or I would have a lot more questions.

No problem, Redbird. I hope you feel better soon!

I parked my pickup truck in the main lot by OBI and rode my bike into the development. Nobody bothered me. And I was able to imagine SG running from JB's house to GC's. I would love to know what route she took to Anchor. And where she headed after running from EC's house.

I had a feeling that she could still be there right off any of those small roads right in the brush. Or in the mosquito trenches along the marshlands. I can't imagine that they searched it that well. Those brush areas are even thick in the winter time.

I really should have stopped and talked to JC and his dad. They probably would have gotten mad at me for interrupting their game of table tennis. And plus I was running late to my volleyball game. Maybe next time. I just want to know where he saw the footprints in the sand.

Maybe a little poetic license in JC's story?

Yeah, Footprints in the Sand. Well maybe this whole story will have a happy ending and maybe the lord carried SG out of Oak Beach that night. It would be nice to find out that she took the money and ran!

Goathair,
I have felt that way about a few areas out there since the searches stopped. with out a thorough search of that whole island. God only knows what is being missed.

I am glad to hear that more searching is going on.

The fact that they are searching 10 areas specifically. This area was also canvassed before so I am guessing that the pics came back with something substantial.

I remember from my ride through there a few weeks back that stretch of the Causeway is just as desolate if not more then Ocean PKWY. As you can see from the map alot more thick brush and swamps. Except for that one stretch of houses that place is empty.

Prayers out to the families waiting for answers.

Hopefully some breaks are coming everyones way.

It all makes sense now. The area being searched is known as Captree Island (not to be confused with Captree state park). Just North of the drawbridge there is an exit that travels under the causeway that leads to the small residential area as well as the other side of the causeway. Its dark and spooky under there at night. Anyone leaving Oak Beach in a hurry could make a quick stop there without anyone on the causeway above seeing them. From there its a short walk to the thickets.

This search is the absolute best shot at finding her remains. My prayers go out to her family for closure.

Hi Seaslug, For a minute there I found myself driving in the dark along that causeway :innocent: BTW I do hope you're right this is LE's best shot.

Sending prayers over the internet to those involved in the search today. Locals please keep us posted!

wm

doing my drive by at 4:30 today. maybe I will snag a pic of the search.

http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/search-in-gilgo-killer-case-over-for-now-1.2936758

From article: "The search on Tuesday for clues or more remains in the Gilgo Beach serial killer case ended without any new discoveries, authorities said.

The targeted canvass of 11 spots around Captree Island, just north of Oak Beach and on the east end of Ocean Parkway, concluded a little after 11 a.m.

"I'm not going to comment on what we found other than we have no evidence recovered from the search this morning," said Trooper Frank Bandiero of the State Police."

ETA: they thoroughly searched all 11 areas within 2 hours?

Well gooodness gracious...they only searched 1/2 day? Imo they must have been looking for something in particular and it wasn't found.

wm

Well gooodness gracious...they only searched 1/2 day? Imo they must have been looking for something in particular and it wasn't found.

wm

ITA... if not, then I wonder about the accuracy of their equipment... especially since the officer mentioned that they found what you would expect in the woods (paraphrasing)...

wm

Hi, WaltingMatilda. I think that they were simply working off a checklist of suspicious places identified by the aerial shots. That said, it did surprise me that the search was over so quickly.

Weird...and frustrating. Only 1/2 day of searching? You would think they'd spend the entire day since they've rounded up a search team and brought out their equipment.

The only thing this tells me is that their press release yesterday should have been more specific by stating that they were conducting searches of areas that the FBI photos couldn't get a clear picture of due to the overgrowth.

that's the only explanation I'd accept that would maintain their integrity. Otherwise, this so-called high-tech equipment on that Black Hawk wasn't truly the real-deal state-of-the-art equipment that they had available. I think we all expected them to use the cameras that can identify decomposing bodies/human remains (even partially buried).

What a total disappointment.

By the way, if this was the 1800's and a girl went missing, the sheriff would ask for the assistance of everyone in the community (church groups, gun clubs, Red Cross, sports clubs, etc...) and we'd form a line of hundreds of people across the areas to be searched (shoulder-to-shoulder from one shore to the other). Then we'd walk the search areas from one end to the other. Anyone with a reliable dog would have brought it along too. Anyone with a horse would be on horseback too giving the people on foot a better perspective.

That is how we would have searched back in the 1800's as a community.

That is how we should be doing it today.

By the way, if this was the 1800's and a girl went missing, the sheriff would ask for the assistance of everyone in the community (church groups, gun clubs, Red Cross, sports clubs, etc...) and we'd form a line of hundreds of people across the areas to be searched (shoulder-to-shoulder from one shore to the other). Then we'd walk the search areas from one end to the other. Anyone with a reliable dog would have brought it along too. Anyone with a horse would be on horseback too giving the people on foot a better perspective.

That is how we would have searched back in the 1800's as a community.

That is how we should be doing it today.

I completely agree. It frustrates me that they don't appear to be putting too much effort into searching. Maybe they are, but it certainly doesn't appear that way to me. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daisy102502