NY NY - Plainview, Wht/HispMale 23-57, UP140, Members Only jacket, Bulova watch, hair pick, Mar'04

I did see the article and if it were just timing and location, I'd say sure, he's as good a shot as any. (as I said before, I like the analysis on this and is very good sleuthing)

however, in my very unscientific lay opinion, I don't see how the clothing could be that well preserved after 26 years. they were able to state the colors of the clothes and while different materials deteriorate at different rates, I think after 26 yrs there would be next to nothing left and what was left would have been bleached or otherwise washed out by the elements.

I suppose it depends a little on the circumstances how he was buried.
The Angel Meadows murder victim's clothing had an identifiable print left after three decades. She was wrapped in a carpet.

The opening post says that they believe the remains could have been there for over 20 years, wonder where they got that from.

believed buried for 27 years,

Tan bell bottom pants sound somewhat dated, fashionwise.

I think someone should submit Peter Winston as a possible match...

Wanting2help, how does one do that? I occurred to me to contact the man who has written the two articles for the New Yorker or the woman who wrote the article for the observer since they both live in NY and might have the incentive and clout to push for it, as people who've written about it. I can find their contact info, I think.

Wanting2help, how does one do that? I occurred to me to contact the man who has written the two articles for the New Yorker or the woman who wrote the article for the observer since they both live in NY and might have the incentive and clout to push for it, as people who've written about it. I can find their contact info, I think.

I personally have had better luck with Medical Examiners than with LE. I usually try to email them all of the info on why I think this would be a possible match and a link to the profiles. Some people would rather call it in, I just personally like email. If I cannot reach either the ME or LE I then try to email/call the NamUs case manager...

There is a thread around here somewhere on tips for submitting possible matches... I will see if I can find it...

Just wondering about this... does anyone else see a resemblance... it's not as close as the steve-o comparison, but I think it looks similar...

View attachment 18777 This is the only picture I could find of him... His name is/was Peter Winston... Here's a quote from wikipedia:

I know he disappeared before the jackets were available here, but maybe it was a gift from someone (as with the watch)...

Also, maybe the watch was his father's. According to this fellow (link) who was friends with Peter, his father passed when Peter was about 7-8 yrs old.

And the coins in his pocket could represent the year he shared first prize in the championship...

Just some thoughts...

Given the discussion of Peter Winston on a different thread, I decided to submit his name to the NY State Troopers. John Lang is no longer the detective in charge of this case. I was put through to Trooper Thomas Hughes.

Peter Winston's name has never been brought to his attention, and he sounded very interested in this possible match. He says that they were able to get a very good DNA sample from the UID's teeth, so it would just be a matter of finding a relative to get a DNA FRS.

From what I understand, Peter's parents are both deceased, but he does have siblings.

Just wanted to post a couple things that came to mind concerning this John Doe...when I first spotted him on Doe Network the other day,
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1341umny.html
the first thing that came to my mind was that he was possibly Italian. That maybe this was a mob hit, and the body was dumped where it was found. The fact that he was wearing a $600 Bulova watch with an alligator wristband that was left with him I think indicates that this was foul play and personal, and that he was probably not someone who was hit trying to hitch a ride. Do you guys know if there is anything anywhere that states exactly how he died? Did I miss something somewhere?

Also, as an aside, there were alot of people with straight or lightly wavy/curly hair in the 80's that used hair pics to achieve that awesome feathered look that was so popular then. Not that I'd know anything about that, though :)

Lots of rock n roller guys had gorgeous long curly locks back in the day that were kept softly curly as opposed to fizzy with pic combs.
As for bell bottoms - some guys (often shorter ones) wore cowboy boots for height and bell bottoms fit over the boots.
Thinking also of a " Prince" ( Purple Rain ) type dresser...
Could this uid have been out for an evening of dancing, or been a dancer?

I'm not very good at Photoshop but I was wondering if anyone would be able to paste Peter's hair on John Doe? :please:

I think it would be interesting to see what he would look like with curly hair.

I have to admit, that Steve-O thing posted earlier is irritating me. (Not that the poster posted it, that was actually a great catch, but that it may not be a real reconstruction) I think it might be a little easier to take the UID seriously if we had a photo with a different hairstyle so it doesn't scream "Steve-O" every time we look at it..

JMO...

I am sure it is a real reconstruction. They don't plan to make it look like a picture, that is not how the main methods for doing reconstruction work. Perhaps the two men just actually have similar features!

I was excited about the prospect of this being Peter but now I have my doubts. This person seemed to care about their appearance and Peter less so. I also think Peter may have been taller. Jmo.

I am sure it is a real reconstruction. They don't plan to make it look like a picture, that is not how the main methods for doing reconstruction work. Perhaps the two men just actually have similar features!

I was excited about the prospect of this being Peter but now I have my doubts. This person seemed to care about their appearance and Peter less so. I also think Peter may have been taller. Jmo.

Even if it's not him, I am really happy that this PM was submitted - if nothing else, hopefully it will lead to Peter being officially reported missing.

I'm not very good at Photoshop but I was wondering if anyone would be able to paste Peter's hair on John Doe? :please:

I think it would be interesting to see what he would look like with curly hair.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Plainview Peter Winston.jpg
    Plainview Peter Winston.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 510
Given the discussion of Peter Winston on a different thread, I decided to submit his name to the NY State Troopers. John Lang is no longer the detective in charge of this case. I was put through to Trooper Thomas Hughes.

Peter Winston's name has never been brought to his attention, and he sounded very interested in this possible match. He says that they were able to get a very good DNA sample from the UID's teeth, so it would just be a matter of finding a relative to get a DNA FRS.

From what I understand, Peter's parents are both deceased, but he does have siblings.

I just received a call from Senior Investigator Thomas Hughes, of the New York State Police. He says that he was able to locate Peter Winston's sister, and he obtained a DNA FRS from her.

She told him that Peter was about 5'7" tall, so if that is true, he would probably be too tall to be this John Doe. But they are going to go ahead and ask them to compare the DNA anyway, just to be sure.

She told him that as far as she knew, a missing persons report was never filed. It was not uncommon for him to disappear for days at a time, so they didn't initially report him missing. When so much time had passed, and they realized that he might not be coming back, they figured that too much time had passed to file a missing persons report.

I told him that I wanted to put him into NamUs, but to do so, there would need to be a missing persons report. He said that the City of NYC would have to initiate that report. I'll go ahead and see if I can initiate a NamUs MP casefile for him anyway. Perhaps the NamUs people will be able to get some agency to create a report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbifedora
Back