NY - Police suspect car bomb, evacuate Times Square

I know there are numerous webcams in TS, hopefully they will be useful to LE's investigation.

Obama updated on apparent NY car bomb, offers federal government support

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House says President Barack Obama has been briefed on the apparent car bomb found Saturday in New York's Times Square.

In a statement, the administration said that the president, who attended an annual dinner for White House news correspondents Saturday night, praised the quick response by the New York Police Department.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...-times-square-car-smoke-obama,0,4136945.story

I know there are numerous webcams in TS, hopefully they will be useful to LE's investigation.

Yep, they are reporting on that now...cams caught the vehicle parking, etc.

Switching plates issue adds to the confusion...IMO, they will figure it out, in time.

3 propane tanks, 2 gas tanks, powder and timing device in SUV.

officials are not saying how much time was left on the device they dismantled - NY1 News live reporter

I have no idea what is going on, but your thread caught my attention, I don't seem to have time to watch the news or read as much as I use to, I miss so much. What the heck is going on? Is anyone listening?

Thanks for the news, seems these days, this is where I get my info. I hate it, usually, I'm glued to the news. I'm lost.

Waiting for Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly to speak at news conference.

NY1 reporting mounted police officer spotted smoke from SUV @ 6:30 PM.
NY1:
Witnesses say NYPD, EMS, NYFD, bomb squad responded rapidly.
SUV was rigged to blow up.
Obama made aware-was attending correspondents dinner.

*A lot of info in this recently updated story:

Cops stop Times Square car bomb from detonating; Robot finds gun powder, wires in car

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...r_smoking_vehicle_sparks_emergency_probe.html
Heroic cops stopped a car bomb from blowing up in the heart of Times Square Saturday night, officials told the Daily News.

Two female cops patrolling the area noticed a man fumbling with something in the back of a Nissan SUV parked on the southwest corner of 45th St. and Broadway about 7 p.m. The man saw the officers looking and took off running.

The two cops went to the car and saw smoke, clusters of canisters and heard something fizzing, a source said. The quick-acting cops called for backup, and the bomb squad was on the way as the Crossroads of the World was evacuated.

"It looks as if the perp was trying to light it up, and was interrupted by the cops, panicked and took off," a law enforcement source said.​
Bless those officers who were so attentive. Heaven only knows how many lives and limbs they saved by being so dutiful.

True heroines, I hope they receive all the medals and rewards they deserve.

Waiting for Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly to speak at news conference.

It would appear that they are taking their time until they have accurate info to report.

When this incident is resolved, NYPD and related agencies will be lauded for how well it was handled.

~customary jmo~

Motorcade spotted: Mayor and Police Comm probably soon

Electrical wires attached to clock: NYPD dept of communications

Bloomberg and Gov Paterson w/him approaching.

Will get a 5-min alert before presser.

Kudos as well to the T-shirt vendor who reported smoke & sparks.

Presser NOW!

Mayor: 6 30 - tee-shirt vendor, who is a vietnam vet, alerted the mounted police officer;
immediately evacuated area; bomb squad still removing materials as we speak

Comm Kelly: bomb techs removed fireworks, 2 clocks w/batteries,
metal box resembling a gun locker, etc.

Kelly: CT license plate does not match vehicle
6 28 pm vehicle is seen on camera
43 - 48 tween 6 & 8th Ave remains closed to pedestrian and vehicles
lookin at all cameras in areas

Mayor: so far we do not see anyone running away on t camera

Mayor: we always change our security plans, and we are certainly not going to announce it now
- we have looked in the other boroughs
- go about your business, etc

(IMO: Mayor is nasty tonight - tone of voice, raising voice, short-tempered to reporters; losing cool, etc.)

Mayor's Message to NYers: terrorists always focus on the symbol of freedom - NYC
Go about business, and enjoy yourselves tomorrow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back