NY - Police suspect car bomb, evacuate Times Square

They are classifying this as a terrorist act.

The plates were not reported as stolen.

Ladybass- Thank you for the presser recap. This is incredibly scary. Thank goodness police were able to stop it.

The device started to detinate, but then malfunctioned.

Someone in pa may have a picture of the suspect.

Nooone in pa is directly related to this crime, . I misunderstood above, please disregard that post.

I went to see my grand kids who live only one block away.
The streets were mobbed just like it was on New Years eve.
We heard the police over the microphones given the orders to evacuate.

My little grandson 7 years old came over and said are we all going to die? :( :( :(

Horrible times when children ask those kind of questions.:(
I finally left at about midnight when the streets thinned out.

I'm confused. Do they actually have video of this guy near or leaving the SUV? Or do they just have this guy changing his clothes. I don't find that particularly suspicious. It was hot and he might have been looking around because he was changing in the middle of the sidewalk and you look to see if anyone is watching.

Shahzad Faisal ARRESTED In Connection With Times Square Car Bomb
First Posted: 05- 4-10 12:11 AM | Updated: 05- 4-10 12:36 AM

s-SHAHZAD-FAISAL-TIMES-SQUARE-large.jpg

Shahzad Faisal has been arrested in connection with the Times Square car bomb.

Multiple outlets are reporting an arrest in connection with Saturday's attempted car bombing in Times Square.

According to NBC, the man's name is Shahzad Faisal, a 30-year-old U.S. citizen of Pakistani descent. The Connecticut native was apparently arrested in Long Island.

CNN and the New York Times are also confirming that an arrest was made, either late Monday evening or early Tuesday Morning.

This is a developing story. More information will be posted here as it becomes available.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/04/shahzad-faisal-arrested-f_n_562038.html

Attorney General Eric Holder's Press Statement:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/May/10-ag-517.html

This investigation is ongoing, it is multi-faceted, and it is aggressive. As we move forward, we will focus on not just holding those responsible for it accountable, but also on obtaining any intelligence about terrorist organizations overseas.

Following is the text of Holder's statement.

"Earlier this evening, Faisal Shahzad was arrested in connection with the attempted car bombing in New York on Saturday. Mr. Shahzad, an American citizen, was taken into custody at JFK Airport in New York as he attempted to board a flight to Dubai.

Since this plot was first uncovered on Saturday night, the FBI, prosecutors and intelligence lawyers in the National Security Division of the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorneys Offices in Manhattan and Connecticut, along with the New York Police Department have worked night and day to find out who was responsible for what would have been a deadly attack had it been successful.

Over the course of the day today, we have gathered significant additional evidence that led to tonight's arrest, which was made by agents from the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection.

This investigation is ongoing, as are our attempts to gather useful intelligence, and we continue to pursue a number of leads. But it's clear that the intent behind this terrorist act was to kill Americans. .......

MORE: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6430QH20100504

Following is the text of Holder's statement.

"Earlier this evening, Faisal Shahzad was arrested in connection with the attempted car bombing in New York on Saturday. Mr. Shahzad, an American citizen, was taken into custody at JFK Airport in New York as he attempted to board a flight to Dubai.

Since this plot was first uncovered on Saturday night, the FBI, prosecutors and intelligence lawyers in the National Security Division of the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorneys Offices in Manhattan and Connecticut, along with the New York Police Department have worked night and day to find out who was responsible for what would have been a deadly attack had it been successful.

Over the course of the day today, we have gathered significant additional evidence that led to tonight's arrest, which was made by agents from the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection.

This investigation is ongoing, as are our attempts to gather useful intelligence, and we continue to pursue a number of leads. But it's clear that the intent behind this terrorist act was to kill Americans. .......

MORE: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6430QH20100504

I am impressed that Mr. Holder was up so late to make this announcement. I am overjoyed LE has a suspect.

The device started to detinate, but then malfunctioned.

Someone in pa may have a picture of the suspect.

Nooone in pa is directly related to this crime, . I misunderstood above, please disregard that post.

There should be no pats on the back for this one, the bad guys got it to their target and set it off. We are just very lucky that no body bags were needed that night. The system has failed us twice now, Christmas Day and May day. What do they say about 3 times the charm. We do not need Danish citizens, street venders, or more surveillance cameras on the street to keep us safe, by then it way too late. When will Home Land Security step up to their job of protecting us or do we keep adding cities to the list, Dallas, Ft. Hood, Detroit, New York, …..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/nyregion/30shahzad.html?hp

Call to Taliban After Bomb Attempt in Times Sq.

After Faisal Shahzad planted a car bomb in Times Square, he returned to his home in Connecticut and contacted the Pakistani Taliban via computer, telling one of his handlers what he had done, federal prosecutors in Manhattan said Wednesday.

Mr. Shahzad later told the authorities that he believed that the attack on May 1 would kill at least 40 people, having monitored his target for three months through live video feeds on the Internet, to determine which areas drew the largest crowds and when they would be busiest, the prosecutors said.

Mr. Shahzad’s goal was to “maximize the deadly effect of his bomb,” the United States attorney in Manhattan, Preet Bharara, told a judge in a new court filing.

Mr. Bharara’s office also revealed that Mr. Shahzad told the authorities after his arrest on May 3 that he planned to detonate a second bomb in New York City two weeks later, and was prepared to conduct more attacks until he was captured or killed, the document shows.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn
Back