NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am feeling such sadness (and longing) for Sylvia. What a beautiful and smart young woman she was... Just a few years older than me but she was at the height of power when she disappeared in 1975...

I have my own sadness but at least I know what it is... I know what it is!!!

To Sylvia's nearest and dearest I think we really do feel your pain, but I for one cannot scratch the surface of this kind of "unknowing". -The longing feels so heartbreaking, The wanting is never ending.

The wanting. The wanting to know what happened to the beautiful Sylvia.

Can someone help us out?

There is a woman missing from her Pennsylvania home right now (Anna Maciejewska), and her disappearance is quite interesting. Her husband has recently said she has been diagnosed with depression, and so her disappearance has all of the attendant speculation that you'd imagine-but there are also people speculating that her husband has been a little cagey about her disappearance...sound familiar? At least in Anna's case, she has friends and co-workers advocating for her, and relatives in Poland wanting to know what happened to her-and LE looking for her. We will eventually know what happened to Anna, I think-but I don't think anyone except Sylvia's fiance, her brother and her best friend could possibly assist now in her case. How sad that Sylvia didn't have the same kind of help that Anna has

This is the question, Jmoose... How come Sylvia's other peeps, her sorority, her mutual friends with her fiancé didn't stand up. Did they know? She was missing? Could it be they did not know? (Of course they did!!!)

After all, she had a party a week before... Her college friends. These people are maybe still here, or not. No one will stand for Sylvia? All these years later?

I have some alternate theories based on affairs on both sides. It would explain the silence at the time on the one hand, but how could anyone let a brother, a family suffer in silence... All these years later?!?

If there was a reason for her disappearance, like she started a a new life, and never contacted her family, that would be out of a realm I could understand, given what we know. Sometimes I think that is the case in the 70's, but for Sylvia? Not so sure, and not so sure who may have had it out for her... How incredibly sad that no one other than her fam and best friend came forward for her... It is going to take more than that. Who will speak for her?

I don't know the answer to your questions; I just find it remarkable that in a situation so similar to that of Anna's, the response to Sylvia's disappearance by people who know her is totally opposite. Maybe we just have benefit now of knowing how these things typically end (depending of which scenario you are drawn to); on the one hand, we now immediately suspect the significant other, even if we think the person is incapable of physically harming another human; on the other, we may be more able to understand about clinical depression and suicide. Maybe in the 70's these notions may have seemed less acceptable than the possibility that she might have run away. There are many cases here from a long time ago, where the missing person has "run away"-even children, which we now know, must have been very unlikely.

I can't get over the idea that none of her friends, other than MMQC, seemed at all interested in her disappearance. How is it possible that NOBODY pursued this at the time, and that, even now, it's essentially only strangers like us (and her brother and one friend) who are interested in figuring this out? I don't understand this. I just don't get it. We are speaking for her now, but it's not enough-somebody knows something that we don't, and that is the key to all of this. Her brother and best friend think they know what happened, but there's more there than a gut feeling-somebody knows what happened to her. She's either dead from suicide/homicide, or she left to find a new life without anyone who knew her before. I have my own gut feeling, but really none of us can know, given the few facts available. Why didn't somebody exert some pressure on the authorities? Any number of reasons, but it created this mystery, effectively eliminating any chance of an answer. This breaks my heart for the Lwowski family

You know, every once in a while I just get really emotional and frustrated over her disappearance and there are no answers right now and so my Qs are purely rhetorical.

There's a slim hope that someday someone will google her and find this activity on her. There's a slim hope that anyone who knew her might divulge a piece of the mystery, her state of mind beyond having a fight that night for which there is only one account. Is that the whole story? There's a super slim chance that if what happened to her was a totally random thing, or that it will be connected easily. I can remember a close encounter or two in my youth, like being followed aggressively while driving alone. No bubble is completely safe. And as much as we delved into the 70's era run away period, I know of no one from my generation who just up and left forever - I think that's very rare. Most find their way home.

She did not appear to be isolated with friends around her a week before she disappeared. So it is really hard without knowing the nature and details to speculate on motives. With the exception of her childhood friend, we don't really know that much about her relationships. Her Mom said she was depressed on the PR, but without EL's clarification, was it a funk, a period of melancholy, or a diagnosis? Without a body it's hard for me to go with suicide because in the majority of cases it takes planning to do something like that without being found... Even reading about some of the more famous suicides, there are clues in the background that explain it on some level. It's impossible to explain the how and when, though.

And as much as we can speculate about the undercurrent of her life, because the imagination can go to the outer limits with that; the outward appearances of a traditional young woman, fun summers with her best friend, connection to her Mom, recent graduate, engaged to be married, group of musicians, all portray the image of everything to live for. So, in this light, I can see holding back at first, but it almost seems as if something silenced this family beyond that which is a tragedy.

I was brought here from the Anna Maciejewska thread. I've read through these posts and am just as invested in Sylvia's story as the rest of you. Wanted to say hi, and thank you all for your dedication in making sure Sylvia is not forgotten!

Hi, Auggiesmom-Welcome to Sylvia's thread! There are only a couple of us who visit and post here regularly now, because there really isn't any ongoing investigation by law enforcement, but once in a while one of us will have a new thought. A couple of years ago, Sylvia's brother and best friend were posting here because her brother was trying to see if there was anything we could do here to help him find his sister. It was quite lively here-I spoke to one of the detectives who was responsible for her case, although, as you'd expect, he couldn't really say anything about her case; he just answered general questions, like whether or not it was possible to permanently hide your body when you commit suicide. Thanks for joining us here!

O/T but related. -If the bones found in Utah are positively identified, Peggy Sue Case missing for 30 years, is found really close to home.

Spanish Fork police work to uncover human bones found in a cellar with a dirt floor in Spanish Fork on Monday, May 22, 2017. The bones could belong to Peggy Sue Case, who disappeared in 1988 and used to reside where the bones were found.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ould-be-that-of-woman-missing-since-1988.html

With Sylvia, one potential theory that sits strong with me is she made it home that night, but went to the jetty to think, gather herself, cool off, and something happened to her close to home. Was she followed on the bus? On foot? Someone gave her a ride? Are people sure she didn't know anyone at the Marina, etc... Also, because she wasn't publicized right away, there was time to hold a body and bury her later?

If certain legends or burial grounds were known on Staten Island, what advantage might they present in throwing a search off the trail? No one assumed she was abducted by a serial killer, and would anyone assume she would be buried in known burial grounds? To make it look like something else happened?

Maybe my imagination runs wild at times, but maybe there might be a detail that will come to light, like love of scary stories, passing worry of stalker, intriguing person, job offer, etc.

Rose-you always come up with something interesting here

I am on a mini-roll, Jmoose! --Wondering when the penny will drop for Sylvia. Trying to refresh the memories of those who knew her. Sometimes I think there are some of her college peeps who follow this thread but can't speak out for what ever reason, you know?

In reading about the Utah case, there are some parallels which speak to known details of jealousy and then the disappearance of that woman in 1988.

This has never been off the table, silently, even though naming it is off the table on this thread, but these are the kind of details of someone Sylvia may have known either intimately, or not that well... And, not only was Sylvia never found but neither were any of her possessions.

--Jealous rage, robbery, assault, vendetta (though I can't really see that), accident and cover up; how many scenarios could have happened to her? Either by someone she knew, or didn't know?

I am on a mini-roll, Jmoose! --Wondering when the penny will drop for Sylvia. Trying to refresh the memories of those who knew her. Sometimes I think there are some of her college peeps who follow this thread but can't speak out for what ever reason, you know?

In reading about the Utah case, there are some parallels which speak to known details of jealousy and then the disappearance of that woman in 1988.

This has never been off the table, silently, even though naming it is off the table on this thread, but these are the kind of details of someone Sylvia may have known either intimately, or not that well... And, not only was Sylvia never found but neither were any of her possessions.

--Jealous rage, robbery, assault, vendetta (though I can't really see that), accident and cover up; how many scenarios could have happened to her? Either by someone she knew, or didn't know?

I often wonder about this, too-especially when we were going like gang-busters here, and there were dozens of visitors on her page. Sonetimes I even imagibe her former fiance came here to read about Sylvia. It does make your mind wander...

Hi, Auggiesmom-Welcome to Sylvia's thread! There are only a couple of us who visit and post here regularly now, because there really isn't any ongoing investigation by law enforcement, but once in a while one of us will have a new thought. A couple of years ago, Sylvia's brother and best friend were posting here because her brother was trying to see if there was anything we could do here to help him find his sister. It was quite lively here-I spoke to one of the detectives who was responsible for her case, although, as you'd expect, he couldn't really say anything about her case; he just answered general questions, like whether or not it was possible to permanently hide your body when you commit suicide. Thanks for joining us here!

Thanks for the welcome! I read through those posts and they were fascinating. It breaks my heart that there weren't more people fighting for answers when Sylvia disappeared.

I often wonder about this, too-especially when we were going like gang-busters here, and there were dozens of visitors on her page. Sometimes I even imagine her former fiancé came here to read about Sylvia. It does make your mind wander ...

Bbm: Oh, absolutely, Jmoose! I don't doubt it for a second. If I were her fiancé, omg I'd follow her!

If I were someone who lost a loved one and didn't know what happened, you bet I'd follow any thread.

Every time I post, or you post, Jmoose, the thread lights up... What's up with that? Hmmmmm???? Who are all of you out there??? Hmmmmm???

What it says to me is there are many, many who care about this girl, this child, this gal, this woman, this missing woman, Sylvia Lwowski.

And we still follow her, and we won't stop until we know why, oh why, oh why!?!.
Rose

Auggiesmom - It is so nice to have another set of eyes and ears and thoughts for Sylvia... Welcome and thank you for posting!

Quote Jmoose:
"Sometimes I even imagine her former fiancé came here to read about Sylvia. It does make your mind wander "...
Oh bringing this thought forward because I think it is true.
Rose

I am certain that people who knew Sylvia have come here to read about her disappearance-please, we implore you to join us and maybe even fill in some of the blanks. Why is there so much silence? Sylvia was involved in lots of things-she knew a lot of people who must have been upset when she disappeared. Where are the people who knew her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant