NY - Twins, boy and girl, 5, found dead in Bronx apartment, no signs of obvious trauma, Mount Hope, 18 Dec 2023

“She was discharged on Thursday, arrested and charged with murder and manslaughter in both deaths, the police said”

“A 42-year-old woman pleaded not guilty to murder charges Friday in the deaths of her twin 5-year-olds in their Bronx home -- a case authorities initially attributed to a medical tragedy, saying there were no signs of foul play.

Gloria Asamoah was arrested Thursday, according to the Bronx district attorney's office, on six counts each of murder and manslaughter.”

“Asamoah is due back in court in July. Her interim lawyer requested a suicide watch and continued psychiatric treatment.”

From your link:

The medical examiner's office recently ruled their deaths homicides, saying both were smothered. According to the indictment, Asamoah allegedly covered their noses and mouths, leaving visible injuries.
——
Even if the mother had been overwhelmed from caring for two sick special needs children I have no sympathy. I don’t know how long it would take to cause death by smothering but it’s probably at least a couple minutes, long enough to stop. And after smothering one child she went on to kill the other child.

Unless the woman has a long history of severe psychiatric issues I’d consider this premeditated murder for both children.
MOO

From your link:

The medical examiner's office recently ruled their deaths homicides, saying both were smothered. According to the indictment, Asamoah allegedly covered their noses and mouths, leaving visible injuries.
——
Even if the mother had been overwhelmed from caring for two sick special needs children I have no sympathy. I don’t know how long it would take to cause death by smothering but it’s probably at least a couple minutes, long enough to stop. And after smothering one child she went on to kill the other child.

Unless the woman has a long history of severe psychiatric issues I’d consider this premeditated murder for both children.
MOO
I can't shake the feeling that she's the one that caused their sickness, likely by poisoning them. When that didn't work, it was on to Plan B. :(

From your link:

——

MOO
Just came over to read about this case.
Ugh !
Rest in peace, little ones. :(
Betrayed by the one who should have protected them.
Omo.

This was the only source I could find with photos from the arraignment.

Thanks for this link, @IDK !
Some interesting comments below.
<modsnip - comments may be pointed at ("interesting comments") but not discussed as they are considered rumor with no way to verify>
Omo.

Some photos from the link :

G 2.jpeg

G 1.jpeg

They appear to be well-cared for.
Such happy smiles. :(
Rest and fly with the angels, George and Gianna !

Last edited by a moderator:
FOX 5 NY learned the children were pulled from school last week after they were sick and police are holding out hope that no one is at fault, while struggling to process this scene
Snipped for focus.
Red bolding mine.

In hindsight, wonder if their deaths were premeditated, and not a sudden 'snap' ?
Omo.

Yes, wasn't the daughter biting and spitting at others in school. That is often seen in young child abuse victims, sadly enough.
Yep, and sadly it's often attributed to other things like in this case when they were being evaluated for special needs. Maybe the behavior wasn't new, but in hindsight it sure seems like a cry for help.

Also interesting (IMO) is that early reports quoted neighbors as interacting with the family and describing the mother as “doting.” LE found the apartment to be clean and well stocked with food.

IF the children were acting out as the result of some kind of abuse then it’s a lesson in not always being aware of what goes on behind closed doors: we’ve certainly seen a lot of that in other cases.

I guess we’ll have to wait to hear the mother’s motive before we can begin to understand why she chose to smother two innocent children. I suspect that may be a long time coming though, given her stays in and out of the psychiatric ward. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johlar12
Back