OH - Nicole Jones, 53, homicide, Sylvania, 5 May 2023

The reports are that Nicole's body was left in a dumpster and taken to a landfill in Michigan, just across the border (Sylvania Township in Ohio is a border town to Michigan_.

It is likely the juvenile who is being charged with Nicole's murder gave that information to LE and/or her caseworker, that the body was left in a dumpster, probably near her home.

So I guess local LE are concerned about the budget to search the landfill. I hope the family's outcry for support will lead local authorities to work with the state to see if there is some way to find funds to search for Nicole's body. I can't imagine not trying to locate the body, wouldn't they need it both for the murder charge, and for the family to lay her to rest.
Thank you!!

I completely understand her families stance, God forbid I would want the same thing. But recovery rates at Landfill's are low and the costs are high. Heidi Planck, Jhessye Shockley, Christine Mustafa, Jacsun Manson - I could list many others but those are just a few who were seached for and never found :(

Nicole Jones' son is now back in Wood County, Ohio, where he faces charges prior to the disappearance of his mother and before he took off to Mexico with the juvenile. He was extradited to Ohio from where he was being held in Texas (after being apprehended in Mexico).

He hasn't been charged (yet) with the murder of his mother. Investigation still underway.

The news is reporting that charges in Sylvania, Ohio, where Nicole Jones lived, are also expected to be made against her son, on top of his earlier, unrelated charges in Wood County, Ohio, where he is now being held for these unrelated charges.

Next court date for the girlfriend/juvenile is June 12th, and Nicole Jones' son will be back in court in Wood County, Ohio next week.

Jonathan Jones has now been charged with aggravated murder in the death of Nicole Jones, his mother. More charges may be coming, according to the news article.

Matricide. Hard to even think this.

No court date mentioned for Sylvania court, but he is back in Ohio facing charges in Wood County that predate the murder.

Information not released on manner of death/murder of the mother. And LE still have not located her body, which they believe to be in a landfill across the Ohio border in Michigan, according to the confession of the juvenile who is also charged with murder and tampering with evidence.

Edited to add: I look forward to justice for Nicole, and hope that her remains are recovered and the family have a chance to give her a proper burial.

Juvenile charged with murder of Nicole Jones in Ohio is requested to stay in NE Ohio detention center to be closer to her parents. What, so that she can escape again?? Doesn't seem that she was too concerned about staying close to her parents in the past. Glad to see that the judge denied it and she will be transferred to NW Ohio where she is accused of murdering Nicole Jones in Sylvania, Ohio.

Also, a date has been set for a court apperance of Nicole Jones' son, 33, who is also accused of murdering NJ, his mother. August 21 is his preliminary hearing.

The juvenile will have a competency hearing on August 29.

Edited to add more info from the article

Juvenile charged with murder of Nicole Jones in Ohio is requested to stay in NE Ohio detention center to be closer to her parents. What, so that she can escape again?? Doesn't seem that she was too concerned about staying close to her parents in the past. Glad to see that the judge denied it and she will be transferred to NW Ohio where she is accused of murdering Nicole Jones in Sylvania, Ohio.

Also, a date has been set for a court apperance of Nicole Jones' son, 33, who is also accused of murdering NJ, his mother. August 21 is his preliminary hearing.

The juvenile will have a competency hearing on August 29.

Edited to add more info from the article
Sorry, replying to my own post.

I wonder if the juvenile's competency hearing on August 29 is to help determine whether or not she will be tried as an adult or remain in the juvenile system. Or maybe not related to this determination at all.

Sorry, replying to my own post.

I wonder if the juvenile's competency hearing on August 29 is to help determine whether or not she will be tried as an adult or remain in the juvenile system. Or maybe not related to this determination at all.
A competency hearing is whether or not the defendant is competent to stand trial. The decision to prosecute as an adult it up to the Prosecutor's office, not a Dr, and is based on the severity of the charges generally.

Haven't been able to find information about the competency hearing for the juvenile girl that was scheduled for Aug 29. A grand jury has indicted Jonathan Jones for additional charges as reported in this article dated Aug 17,2023.

Haven't been able to find information about the competency hearing for the juvenile girl that was scheduled for Aug 29. A grand jury has indicted Jonathan Jones for additional charges as reported in this article dated Aug 17,2023.

According to Ohio law, a juvenile court judge provides written determination of their decision 15 days following a competency hearing. So perhaps mid-September or thereabouts there may be some more reporting on this case in relation to the juvenile, but most of it will remain confidential, due to her age.

I don't think we will hear much until the prosecution makes its decision as to whether or not they want to try her as an adult. But we may hear some news about the juvenile detention center where she is to be housed, as her attorneys want her to stay in Stark County which is her home town area. Lucas County wants her to stay in the juvenile detention center where the crime took place (Nicole Jones lived in this area) while waiting the outcome of the case. So there may be news on that again soon.

She had apparently escaped several times from Stark County juvenile detention, IIRC, so I hope that she is kept in Lucas County's jurisdiction.

The juvenile will be tried as an adult.

The murder of Nicole Jones is even more brutal than initially thought. The details are horrendous.
That is some seriously scary stuff!! I find her attorneys statement ridiculous. She’d better serve her client by saying she suffered a terrible childhood and had been in state custody or something of that nature.

Poor Nicole, betrayed by her own son!!!

That is some seriously scary stuff!! I find her attorneys statement ridiculous. She’d better serve her client by saying she suffered a terrible childhood and had been in state custody or something of that nature.

Poor Nicole, betrayed by her own son!!!

And the prosecution and LE are saying that they are not likely to ever find her body. Incredibly sad for Nicole's family members.

Snipped from the article linked above:

The prosecutor says the teen gave Jonathan Jones an ultimatum to take care of his mother because she was interfering in their relationship. He had five hours to kill his mother. After the 5 hours passed and he didn’t do it, she allegedly gave him another hour.

Sylvania Township Detective Jake Albright testified that Coones killed Nicole Jones herself. The two suspects then fled to Mexico, where they were eventually arrested.

The detective said the teen gave detailed statements and admitted to killing Nicole Jones during an interview with FBI agents.

The Prosecutor said GPS devices tracked Jones to the stores and the dumpster where the body was placed.

The teen’s attorney, Ann Baronas countered in court that the teen is a victim of Jonathan Jones who was not supposed to have any contact with her. She added that investigators don’t know who sent the text message.

I have to wonder whether these two killers planned to et the younger killer take the blame assuming she would not be tried as an adult?

Also, WRT to the bolded (by me) text, I absolutely agree this young woman is a victim of Nicole's son, but that does not excuse murder.

Last edited:

A teen-aged girl whose adult boyfriend’s mother disappeared last spring and is presumed dead was indicted Thursday by the Lucas County grand jury for aggravated murder.

Kaitlyn Coones, 17, who authorities say fled state custody in the Canton, Ohio area last year to be with Jonathon Jones, now 34, is also charged with an alternative count of murder, second-degree felonious assault, third-degree tampering with evidence, and fifth-degree abuse of a corpse in the indictment handed up Thursday afternoon.

The charges echo several delinquency counts lodged against her in May in Lucas County Juvenile Court. She was then certified in November to stand trial as an adult.

Mr. Jones was indicted Aug. 17 for alternative counts of aggravated murder, murder, second-degree felonious assault, first-degree aggravated burglary and aggravated robbery, third-degree tampering with evidence, and fifth-degree abuse of a corpse.

Last edited:
Prosecutors say Canton Police contacted Sylvania Township Police in 2023 to check the safety of Nicole Jones. They told police that Coones, a foster child in the custody of Stark County Children Services, was living at a group home and was missing. They said the teen allegedly sent a text message to a group home nurse saying she killed two people and she was on the run.

Coones allegedly left Canton and was picked up at a restaurant by Jonathon Jones. They drove back to his house where he lives with his mother, with the teen crawling into Jonathon’s bedroom window so his mother wouldn’t know.

The prosecutor says the teen gave Jonathan Jones an ultimatum to take care of his mother because she was interfering in their relationship. He had five hours to kill his mother. After the five hours passed and he didn’t do it, she allegedly gave him another hour.

When the mother was in the kitchen looking in the refrigerator, the teen allegedly strangled her and bludgeoned her with a rock. He said the son was allegedly in the living room at the time.

The detective testified they drove to two local stores and bought a tarp and trash bags to wrap the body and clean the kitchen. They allegedly drove to a nearby apartment complex and dumped the body in a dumpster. Police do not believe the body will ever be recovered.

Prosecutors say Canton Police contacted Sylvania Township Police in 2023 to check the safety of Nicole Jones. They told police that Coones, a foster child in the custody of Stark County Children Services, was living at a group home and was missing. They said the teen allegedly sent a text message to a group home nurse saying she killed two people and she was on the run.

Coones allegedly left Canton and was picked up at a restaurant by Jonathon Jones. They drove back to his house where he lives with his mother, with the teen crawling into Jonathon’s bedroom window so his mother wouldn’t know.

The prosecutor says the teen gave Jonathan Jones an ultimatum to take care of his mother because she was interfering in their relationship. He had five hours to kill his mother. After the five hours passed and he didn’t do it, she allegedly gave him another hour.

When the mother was in the kitchen looking in the refrigerator, the teen allegedly strangled her and bludgeoned her with a rock. He said the son was allegedly in the living room at the time.

The detective testified they drove to two local stores and bought a tarp and trash bags to wrap the body and clean the kitchen. They allegedly drove to a nearby apartment complex and dumped the body in a dumpster. Police do not believe the body will ever be recovered.

The article says that the teen (Coones) told her group home/foster home that she killed two people. But only Nicole Jones is mentioned.

Also, the detective said that they tracked Nicole Jones' body to the dumpter and to the stores by GPS. I assume they mean that they tracked Coones (the teen) and her boyfriend to the stores and to the dumpster by the GPS of either the car or one or both of their cell phones.

If they did track the teen and her boyfriend to the stores where they bought the tarp and other items, and to the garbage dump, then I hope it was by way of the GPS in Nicole Jones' car. NIcole's car and GPS would provide key evidence against the two people who plotted her murder, her son and his teenage girlfriend.

Stealing Nicole's car to dispose of her body and shop for the items that would make that possible may be the crucial evidence that seals their fate. I hope so, and hope that they both are sentenced to life without parole.

Wow, the two defendants are in different jails in different states and have been writing to each other and were "conspiring to provide false information" in the investigation.

According to an affidavit for a search warrant dated April 15th, the two are writing to each other. The Department of Rehabilitation told prosecutors that letters between the two were intercepted.

According to the investigators, “the contents of the mail/letters/writings/correspondence consist of both inmates conspiring to provide false information to this investigation. Those investigators also zeroing in on Coones further.

The affidavit saying: “writings were found in Kaitlyn Coones’ jail cell that contain information that may be relevant to this investigation.”

That lead investigators to requesting the warrant to get those writings to see how they may affect the case. A judge granted the warrant.

No trial date has been set for either defendant.

• Wow
Reactions: nao

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz