OH - Nicole Jones, 53, homicide, Sylvania, 5 May 2023

This article makes it sound like the juvenile who was arrested for Nicole Jones' murder was also found in Mexico along with the missing Ohio girl. Maybe I am not reading it correctly.

The article heading says -

Police: Canton juvenile charged with murder of mother arrested in Mexico with missing Ohio girl​

I think the headline is misleading, it also intimates Nicole’s body was found. Unless I’ve missed that detail?

Patty Wardrop, the assistant prosecuting attorney on the case, says both the teen and Jonathan Jones were staying at Nicole Jones’ home.

“So she was staying there, and he lives with his mother, and one day they abruptly leave, disappear, but while she’s on the road, she calls a case worker to inform that she has done
something terrible.”

<snipped>

Last week, BCI agents searched the Jones’ home after police were dispatched to do a welfare check. However, the police did not find Nicole.

“What they find matches almost exactly what she has explained as the crime as it occurred.”

Last edited:
I think the headline is misleading, it also intimates Nicole’s body was found. Unless I’ve missed that detail?
You're right, the headline is misleading, I just posted another local MSM article a few minutes ago, and it is clear that the juvenile who was arrested for Nicole's death is the juvenile who was with Nicole's son - same juvenile.

Police said new information now indicates Nicole Jones was killed. Authorities went to her home and collected evidence, looking for clues in the homicide.

Following an investigation, the Canton teen has been charged with aggravated murder and tampering with evidence. She's currently being held in juvenile detention in Stark County.

The investigation is ongoing, and police said charges are expected to be filed against another individual in connection with the homicide.

I guess that what the juvenile told the caseworker on the phone while they were heading to Mexico is what led local LE to do the welfare check at Nicole Jones' home, and they didn't find her, but found evidence of a homicide that matched what the juvenile told the caseworker.

I assume that the next arrest will be Nicole's son.

Did they move the body in the trunk of the car that they drove to Mexico? If LE has the car, they will likely find evidence. JMO.

Per the Ohio Revised COde, "aggravated murder" charge in the state of Ohio is punishable by death penalty or life in prison without parole if found guilty. But since the defendant is under 18, the death penalty is off the table.

Below is a link to an Ohio aggravated murder defense attorney who provides an overview of the criteria for aggravated murder in the state

More new information (note that Sylvania is a suburb of Toledo, Ohio, and right on the border with Michigan)

Investigators believe Ms. Jones was killed and her body then wrapped in garbage bags and placed in a disposal bin, the contents of which were later taken to a landfill in Michigan, Ms. Wardrop said. The body had not been recovered as of Tuesday morning, she said.

Ms. Wardrop said investigators do not currently theorize a motive for Ms. Jones' killing, but noted that the girl had been staying at the Jones residence and there was a runaway warrant for her in Canton.

The juvenile and Mr. Jones left the area "in Mom's car, with Mom's gun," the prosecutor said.

edited to add link

Last edited:
Sylvania Township police believe Nicole Jones, 53, of the 7400 block of Timber Edge Boulevard, is a homicide victim based on information they received as a result of the search for the son and companion, Kaitlyn Coone, 17, of Canton, Ohio.

Court records show an arrest warrant was then issued April 21 on the grounds that Jones had violated his monitoring. He did not appear for his scheduled sentencing, and on May 6, U.S. Marshals Service announced he was being sought as a fugitive and said he was probably accompanied by Miss Coone, who had previously been reported as a runaway from a facility in her Canton hometown.

So far, Miss Coone is the only one publicly charged in Ms. Jones’ disappearance. She was arraigned Thursday in Lucas County Juvenile Court before Judge Linda Knepp on charges of aggravated murder and tampering with evidence, to which defense lawyer Ann Baronas entered denials.

Andy Lastra, an assistant Lucas County prosecutor, told the judge three additional counts are likely to be filed soon against the girl.

It was disclosed during the proceeding that the appointment of a visiting judge to handle the case is likely because Ms. Jones was the sister of a magistrate in the juvenile court.

More new information (note that Sylvania is a suburb of Toledo, Ohio, and right on the border with Michigan)

Investigators believe Ms. Jones was killed and her body then wrapped in garbage bags and placed in a disposal bin, the contents of which were later taken to a landfill in Michigan, Ms. Wardrop said. The body had not been recovered as of Tuesday morning, she said.

Ms. Wardrop said investigators do not currently theorize a motive for Ms. Jones' killing, but noted that the girl had been staying at the Jones residence and there was a runaway warrant for her in Canton.

The juvenile and Mr. Jones left the area "in Mom's car, with Mom's gun," the prosecutor said.

edited to add link
Wondering what the motive is for these two to kill Nicole? Drugs haven’t been mentioned. But what the heck is the son doing with a minor? Maybe Nicole was objecting to the relationship and said she had to leave her home?

Weird that she confessed to her caseworker.

Wondering what the motive is for these two to kill Nicole? Drugs haven’t been mentioned. But what the heck is the son doing with a minor? Maybe Nicole was objecting to the relationship and said she had to leave her home?

I thought I read in one of the MSM articles that the juvenile was using a lot of drugs, so I assumed that when she was talking on the phone with her caseworker that she made her confession, so to speak, while on drugs. I'll go back and take a look.

I thought I had read somewhere that the juvenile had been on drugs, but I can't find anything right now that confirms that.

I did re-read several of the articles, and noted that Jonathan Jones helped the 17-year old suspect escape from a facility in Canton, her hometown. The juvenile was in the care of the state at that time, in state custody at a facility in Canton.

Also Nicole Jones' brother is a magistrate in juvenile court in Toledo where the 17-year old is now in custody, so a visiting judge will be assigned to the case, due to conflict of interest.

It sounds like the charges against Jonathan Jones, the son, in Wood County last year were related to this juvenile who is now 17. She would have been 16 at the time when JJ was charged with *advertiser censored* of a minor, etc. which I think probably involved the suspect when she was 16.

I think there is likely to be only one more person to be charged in the murder of Nicole Jones, and that is her own son, sadly. Since it has been reported that her son and the juvenile left Ohio in the mom's car and with her gun, I wonder if the mother was shot by the juvenile.

Articles say that she confessed to her caseworker, and to the FBI, whatever that confession was, it has led to a charge of aggravated murder with more charges coming, apparently (on top of covering up evidence). So they are not saying accompice to murder.

Oof! I had been posting on the deleted-once-she-was-recovered thread for this teen.

I figured she was likely going to end up in bad situations given the number of times she was turning up missing, but I wasn't expecting this to be the sort of article I next saw her name in!

The family of Nicole Jones, 53, said they met with Sylvania Township Police and were led to believe the department had a location to conduct a search to find the victim’s body.

“After that meeting, our family believed that no attempt to recover Nicole Jones would be made. We were in shock. In two days, we reached out to STPD to ask them to make some effort to find Nicole,” the family statement read. “Even now, we implore all local, State and Federal agencies to do something besides estimate the potential costs and try to find Nicole.”

This has been a very confusing case to follow. I swear I read somewhere, it was suspected Nicole's body ended up in a landfill? Am I confusing this with another case?

Regardless, her poor family. That would be a terrible feeling to be told no effort would be made to recover her. Though on the flip side, I live & breathe forecasting/expense controls/budgets. So I understand the position of LE.

This has been a very confusing case to follow. I swear I read somewhere, it was suspected Nicole's body ended up in a landfill? Am I confusing this with another case?

Regardless, her poor family. That would be a terrible feeling to be told no effort would be made to recover her. Though on the flip side, I live & breathe forecasting/expense controls/budgets. So I understand the position of LE.
The reports are that Nicole's body was left in a dumpster and taken to a landfill in Michigan, just across the border (Sylvania Township in Ohio is a border town to Michigan_.

It is likely the juvenile who is being charged with Nicole's murder gave that information to LE and/or her caseworker, that the body was left in a dumpster, probably near her home.

So I guess local LE are concerned about the budget to search the landfill. I hope the family's outcry for support will lead local authorities to work with the state to see if there is some way to find funds to search for Nicole's body. I can't imagine not trying to locate the body, wouldn't they need it both for the murder charge, and for the family to lay her to rest.

ETA They need to contact their state rep in the Legislature to put pressure on the district and state to make an effort to find Nicole. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back