GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read about this case recently. The way this has been handled is infuriating. All I can say is that if this was my daughter.....well I'd be the one on trial not the boys.

Lost the feed - now I got a young jazz band. :waitasec:

from Plain Dealer reporter on twitter:

Rachel Dissell ‏@RachelDissell
Defense attorneys are pushing for "character " evidence about the 16yr old girl to be allowed. They say that would come from her friends.

18 mins Rachel Dissell ‏@RachelDissell
Normally the past sexual history of ppl who report rapes is not admitted unless it is directly ties to the case in front of the court.

19 mins Rachel Dissell ‏@RachelDissell
Just finished typing up info on Ohio's rape shield provisions, which attnys in #Steubenville are discussing with judge. Will post soon.

eta: have read some posts by someone related to one of the 'friends' re: to what they were going to testify . Have been wondering if any of them had heard of rape shield laws because so much of it had to do with prior acts, hearsay, etc. Guess we'll see how the judge views rape shield in OH...

wonder if we'll get the live feed back? Anyone got a live feed from somewhere else?

TIA

live feed @ CNN live

opening statements ongoing

eta:
Prosecutor: This case is not about consent, it's about substantial impairment
MR attorney: declined opening statement
TM attorney: short statement saying TM did not rape this person, witnesses will substantiate and state cannot prove it

First witness called - screen goes black, no audio

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

I wanna stream! (or should that be scream?)

In opening statement prosecutor used "degradation" often throughout statement and listed evidence of pics, texts, etc. and a blanket that was tested - showed mix of DNA from JD and sperm from TM.

In opening statement prosecutor used "degradation" often throughout statement and listed evidence of pics, texts, etc. and a blanket that was tested - showed mix of DNA from JD and sperm from TM.
where are you getting this info? Do you have audio? All the live feed links I keep finding say they are coming from live cnn - but the live cnn feed is down.

TIA

http://wildabouttrial.com/
Wild about trial has a live stream, but it is blacked out right now because the witness didn't want to be filmed.
The opening statement by the Pros. was shown, one defense atty declined to make an opening statement and the other one just said a few sentences, then they went right to blackout.

Phew. I opted not to watch it because I did not want to listen to the victim tell this story.. Good to know they are going to blackout.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/trial-to-begin-in-ohio-hs_n_2866339.html

Following opening statements, prosecutors presented two witnesses, both 17-year-old girls who saw the alleged victim the night of the party. Questions by prosecutors and defense lawyers focused on how much the girl had been drinking that night.

One of the girls, a Steubenville High School student, said the alleged victim was having trouble walking but never appeared to pass out. The other girl said she had never seen her friend so intoxicated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/trial-to-begin-in-ohio-hs_n_2866339.html

Following opening statements, prosecutors presented two witnesses, both 17-year-old girls who saw the alleged victim the night of the party. Questions by prosecutors and defense lawyers focused on how much the girl had been drinking that night.

One of the girls, a Steubenville High School student, said the alleged victim was having trouble walking but never appeared to pass out. The other girl said she had never seen her friend so intoxicated.

I would say that pretty much sums up what else we will hear from the juveniles testifying for both sides.

I am still waiting for the adults to be charged-the ones who provided access to the alcohol and the homes to party in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool--steubenville-rape-trial-divides-ohio-town-052958178.html

Interesting article about the locals' point of view on this situation.

"Within the working ranks of a hardscrabble region, they mock such claims. Inside the bar, where the libations are more like truth serum, one finds the real Steubenville – the doubts and divisions, the tension and sadness, the friends fighting over the actions of some high school kids. Here Davison is a joke, and here the town gossip spins, and here the battle lines are prominently drawn – the "cops/football" vs. "the girl."

The victim brought a medium-sized bottle of vanilla vodka to the witness's house. She, the witness and some other friends went to a convenience store & bought slushies to mix with the vodka.

Since so much of the testimony is blocked, I hope it's OK to post these updates from twitter. Most are originally from WTOV9 reporter Eric Minor and WTRV reporter Laurie Conway ‏who come outside every so often to describe testimony. Different twitter people are posting their updates, so I've tried to arrange them in order by witness #:

Witness #1:

Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
Witness 1 testified that victim did not remember events from the night before. #Steubenville #RapeTrial

2 hrs Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
Witness 1 went to bed around 3am and was called to pick up victim morning of Aug.12. Victim "looked like a mess." Had defendants w her.

Witness 1 was w victim and testifies that they drank and went to a party. Says victim wanted to leave w defendants. #Steubenville

Witness 1 says victim was "stumbling and slurring speech" night of Aug.11. Says she tried to call victim after seeing social media posts.

WTOV-TV Facebook
The first witness said she did not know if the tweets she saw online about her friend were true or a "mean joke."

Witness 1 testified that victim did not remember events from the night before. #Steubenville #RapeTrial

Witness 1 went to bed around 3am and was called to pick up victim morning of Aug.12. Victim "looked like a mess." Had defendants w her.

Witness 1 says the victim indicated she thought she could have been drugged. Was tested at hospital. Spoke w victim and mom about it.

Witness 1 gave police a statement Aug.24- nearly two weeks after alleged rape.

1 hr Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
To be clear: witness 1 says she has been friends w victim since childhood and still stands behind victim. Says two other friends (1/2)
of victim have "said mean things" about her since the alleged rape.

WTOV-TV Facebook
The first witness testified that the next morning she picked up the alleged victim and the defendants from the house where the third party took place. She says the accuser laid down in the backseat of the car after the defendants were dropped off and cried. Witness testified that the alleged victim said, "I don't remember what happened."

#OccupySteub Main ‏@OccupySteubMain
The first witness testified that she received a naked picture of the alleged victim by a random third party. She said the alleged victim was
with her when she received the picture. The alleged victim told the witness she wasn't sure who took the picture.

WTOV-TV Facebook:
The first witness testified that she got a photo a week after the night in question. The alleged victim told her she still didn't know what happened.

Witness #2:

Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF (WTRF reporter)
witness 2 is the girlfriend of the young man who hosted the second party the teens went to the night of Aug.11

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
Witness #2 is the girl at the end of the Nodianos video walking in with her boyfriend Jake Howarth (witness #3). I will not name her.

WTOV-TV Facebook:
During cross-examination, the second witness said the media was reporting a false account of what happened.

The second witness testified that she didn't personally know the alleged victim so she didn't know the girl's intentions. The second witness said that the alleged victim told her, "I'm going with (defendant)."

Got in in time to catch tail end of Witness 2 testimony. Says before infamous photo of victim being carried was taken she was stumbling.

Witness 2 said she thought victim had posted some "inappropriate things" on social media. #Steubenville #RapeTrial

Witness 2 says she did not see sexual relations or inappropriate actions between defendants and victim b #Steubenville #RapeTrial

Witness 2 also said the defendants "could have picked her up a different way" #Steubenville #RapeTrial

WTOV-TV Facebook
NEWS9's Natalie Herbick says the second witness got emotional on the stand. The teen girl started crying when asked about the picture depicting the accuser being carried by her arms and legs by the defendants. She was asked to explain the accuser's state of mind.

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
The second witness testified that she was there when the well-known video was made that records a teen joking abt the alleged victim's state

The second witness testified that the alleged victims shoes were left at the house where the second party took place.

48 mins #OccupySteub Main ‏@OccupySteubMain
The second witness testified that the alleged victim was conscious but couldn't lift her head at the second party.

Witness #3:

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
Jake Howarth up as 3rd witness to testify. He has elected to not be recorded.

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 says one of the defendants took alleged victim to bathroom to throw up then she sat on couch and had "wavy back and forth motion"

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 is the boyfriend of witness 2. He had people at his house- party #2. He says it was not planned. A few groups came over. Defendants
alleged victim part of a group. Says they came in through basement and female "appeared drunk" w stumbling and face expressions

#Steubenville Witness 3 is Jake Howarth. It was in the basement of his home where #Nodianos video was shot & photo of #JaneDoe taken

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 says Malik took alleged victim to bathroom to throw up then she sat on couch and had "wavy back and forth motion"

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3rd witness told everyone but best friends to leave, defendants looking out window when she threw up, they took off her shirt. Witness heard
someone said "Should I urinate on her?". They got in the car and left.
3rd witness was not "noteworthy" for him, pic was not big deal.

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 says he told defendants and alleged victim to leave. Then saw female in street throwing up w no shirt on. Shirt was used to clean vomit up

I would say that pretty much sums up what else we will hear from the juveniles testifying for both sides.

I am still waiting for the adults to be charged-the ones who provided access to the alcohol and the homes to party in.

Don't hold your breath.

Since so much of the testimony is blocked, I hope it's OK to post these updates from twitter. Most are originally from WTOV9 reporter Eric Minor and WTRV reporter Laurie Conway ‏who come outside every so often to describe testimony. Different twitter people are posting their updates, so I've tried to arrange them in order by witness #:

Witness #1:

Witness 1 was w victim and testifies that they drank and went to a party. Says victim wanted to leave w defendants. #Steubenville

Witness 1 says victim was "stumbling and slurring speech" night of Aug.11. Says she tried to call victim after seeing social media posts.

WTOV-TV Facebook
The first witness said she did not know if the tweets she saw online about her friend were true or a "mean joke."

Witness 1 says the victim indicated she thought she could have been drugged. Was tested at hospital. Spoke w victim and mom about it.

Witness 1 gave police a statement Aug.24- nearly two weeks after alleged rape.

1 hr Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
To be clear: witness 1 says she has been friends w victim since childhood and still stands behind victim. Says two other friends (1/2)
of victim have "said mean things" about her since the alleged rape.

WTOV-TV Facebook
The first witness testified that the next morning she picked up the alleged victim and the defendants from the house where the third party took place. She says the accuser laid down in the backseat of the car after the defendants were dropped off and cried. Witness testified that the alleged victim said, "I don't remember what happened."

The first witness testified that she received a naked picture of the alleged victim by a random third party. She said the alleged victim was
with her when she received the picture. The alleged victim told the witness she wasn't sure who took the picture.

WTOV-TV Facebook:
The first witness testified that she got a photo a week after the night in question. The alleged victim told her she still didn't know what happened.

Witness #2:

Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF (WTRF reporter)
witness 2 is the girlfriend of the young man who hosted the second party the teens went to the night of Aug.11

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
Witness #2 is the girl at the end of the Nodianos video walking in with her boyfriend Jake Howarth (witness #3). I will not name her.

WTOV-TV Facebook:
During cross-examination, the second witness said the media was reporting a false account of what happened.

The second witness testified that she didn't personally know the alleged victim so she didn't know the girl's intentions. The second witness said that the alleged victim told her, "I'm going with (defendant)."

Got in in time to catch tail end of Witness 2 testimony. Says before infamous photo of victim being carried was taken she was stumbling.

Witness 2 said she thought victim had posted some "inappropriate things" on social media. #Steubenville #RapeTrial

Witness 2 says she did not see sexual relations or inappropriate actions between defendants and victim b #Steubenville #RapeTrial

Witness 2 also said the defendants "could have picked her up a different way" #Steubenville #RapeTrial

WTOV-TV Facebook
NEWS9's Natalie Herbick says the second witness got emotional on the stand. The teen girl started crying when asked about the picture depicting the accuser being carried by her arms and legs by the defendants. She was asked to explain the accuser's state of mind.

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
The second witness testified that she was there when the well-known video was made that records a teen joking abt the alleged victim's state

The second witness testified that the alleged victims shoes were left at the house where the second party took place.

48 mins #OccupySteub Main ‏@OccupySteubMain
The second witness testified that the alleged victim was conscious but couldn't lift her head at the second party.

Witness #3:

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
Jake Howarth up as 3rd witness to testify. He has elected to not be recorded.

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 says one of the defendants took alleged victim to bathroom to throw up then she sat on couch and had "wavy back and forth motion"

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 is the boyfriend of witness 2. He had people at his house- party #2. He says it was not planned. A few groups came over. Defendants
alleged victim part of a group. Says they came in through basement and female "appeared drunk" w stumbling and face expressions

#Steubenville Witness 3 is Jake Howarth. It was in the basement of his home where #Nodianos video was shot & photo of #JaneDoe taken

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 says Malik took alleged victim to bathroom to throw up then she sat on couch and had "wavy back and forth motion"

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3rd witness told everyone but best friends to leave, defendants looking out window when she threw up, they took off her shirt. Witness heard
someone said "Should I urinate on her?". They got in the car and left.
3rd witness was not "noteworthy" for him, pic was not big deal.

Lsbeth ‏@Ever_After2
3 says he told defendants and alleged victim to leave. Then saw female in street throwing up w no shirt on. Shirt was used to clean vomit up

BBM

The media is reporting it all wrong, but she was there when Nodianos was making his rape joke video. Jodi Arias Jr..

There are some pretty explicit testimony details in this news coverage, including description of a deleted photograph from August 11th before the charged incidents appearing to feature T.M., M.R., and Jane Doe on A.C.'s phone (as seen by P.P.): http://www.heraldstaronline.com/page/content.detail/id/584224.html

Rape Trial: Complete Day One Coverage
March 13, 2013
By MARK LAW - Staff writer (mlaw@heraldstaronline.com) , The Herald-Star

That was rough. :-(

I agree. I'm hesitant to link to something so graphic and potentially degrading/humiliating for the victim, but I think the more accuracy and depth in following this case, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl