Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elaine Robertson, missing May 27, 1979 from Mt. Rainier in Tacoma, WA, was added today to Charley Project.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/robertson_elaine.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4998/

* Both women were 130 lbs., 5'6."
* Robertson was 24 when she went missing in '79 and would have been a few weeks shy of 26 in April '81.
* They seem to have similar hairlines.
* Robertson was "incoherent" and wandering when she was last seen. This doesn't seem to match with a well-maintained woman murdered nearly two years later, but it's hard to say for sure.
* There is DNA for BG and Robertson's is pending.
* Robertson doesn't appear to have freckles but if she had very light ones that didn't show up in her black & white photo, could they have gotten darker if she was on the road for two years?
* Eyes: hazel vs. brown

Does anyone else see any facial resemblance or something I missed that would be an obvious ruleout? Thanks!

Also, the various sketches of BG on Doe Network contradict each other. Her hairline is a widow's peak (point downward) in some and a center part in others. I can't tell from her post-mortem if she does have a widow's peak or if that is another bloodstain on her forehead -- anyone?

Elaine Robertson, missing May 27, 1979 from Mt. Rainier in Tacoma, WA, was added today to Charley Project.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/robertson_elaine.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4998/

I have a feeling that Elaine Robertson was put on all of the MP sites by San Bernadino CA authorities, who also put Sarah Tokier's profile up on the same day. It appears to me that these two were probably submitted from somewhere as possible matches to Rancho Cucamonga Jane Doe (Doe Case #633UFCA). Both Robertson and Tokier bear a resemblance to RCJD. (although Tokier looks more like RCJD than does Robertson).

FWIW - I did a reconstruction of the Buckskin Girl a couple of months ago. I didn't think the drawings on her DoeNet page were that close, so I did one of my own.

8e3c6674-1354-408f-b205-44eff8336e7d.jpg

I had originally depicted her in a buckskin jacket, but I couldn't get a good photo of the jacket that she was wearing, and the only ones shown on the internet bear no resemblance to her jacket. So I depicted her in her distinctive turtleneck sweater instead.

I sent it in to Doe Net, and said that they could use it if they wanted. They have used a few others that I have done, but they have not gotten back to me on this one.

I have to agree with Richard:

Although one might think that she was dressed somewhat in a "hippie" style, I do not think that. Her buckskin jacket was nothing like the Western Style of fringed jacket which was popular at the time. It looks much more like an authentic American Indian item of apparel.

Along with the buckskin shirt, it doesn't resemble a pancho at all to me, and the braids, it looks like authentic American Indian apparel. I wonder if there was a Pow Wow in the area at the time.

This thread was not merged, but simply moved in its entirety from Cold Cases to this place. Unfortunately, there is no indication in Cold Cases where it was moved to. My origional posting and title did not include any "graphic image" as the new title might indicate. My origional title to this thread was changed upon its transfer to this forum.

I requested the graphic image warning and made the "merge" request after I had posted the postmortem photo of "Buckskin Jane". I made the same request for the Crystal Rae (Racine WI) thread. I thought (apparently incorrectly) that there was a Buckskin Jane thread in the Unidentified forum to merge it to. But nevertheless, I thought the "Unidentified" forum was a more appropriate place for this discussion.

My apologies if I stepped on your toes by requesting the move.

Carl, you did a great job with the reconstruction, it really looks far more like her than the one that was published.

This case really bothers me. One thing that has always struck me, is her eyebrows, they are plucked, shaped, and tidy, I don't think she was someone who was abducted or if she was I don't think it was a prolonged abduction. This has always felt like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time to me.

Carl, you did a great job with the reconstruction, it really looks far more like her than the one that was published.

This case really bothers me. One thing that has always struck me, is her eyebrows, they are plucked, shaped, and tidy, I don't think she was someone who was abducted or if she was I don't think it was a prolonged abduction. This has always felt like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time to me.

Thanks, HockeyGirl for the prop.

I agree that she was probably not held for long. My take is that she was probably a free-spirit type (not to be confused with a hippie), perhaps a college student who was interested in the Native American culture, who had to hitchhike around to see the various sites of cultural importance, and caught a ride with the wrong guy.

The thought entered my mind that maybe someone from the Native American community didn't appreciate a Caucasion woman co-opting their culture, and saw her as a "wannabe". I'm not sure that I can totally buy into that theory though. I think the hitchhiker scenario is more plausible.

I agree that she was probably not held for long. My take is that she was probably a free-spirit type (not to be confused with a hippie), perhaps a college student who was interested in the Native American culture, who had to hitchhike around to see the various sites of cultural importance, and caught a ride with the wrong guy.

The thought entered my mind that maybe someone from the Native American community didn't appreciate a Caucasion woman co-opting their culture, and saw her as a "wannabe". I'm not sure that I can totally buy into that theory though. I think the hitchhiker scenario is more plausible.

You're welcome!

I agree, there are several large and important burial & ceremonial mounds in the area she was found in.

I don't see it as being a Native American who killed because she was a 'wannabe", the Shawnee still have a cultral center not too far from there, and they are really appreciative of people from tryng to learn and understand there culture, but then again anything is possible I'm sad to say.

I think it is possible she had no shoes on because she had been in an 18 wheeler. A lot of truck drivers treat the inside of their cabs as one would their home. Take your shoes off at the door or change into slippers if your shoes are muddy (April showers?). She may have also been in the sleeper sleeping (obviously with her shoes off) and felt safe while the only other person in the truck was driving. The driver may have pulled over at some point later and...well, you guys get the point. I think you may be looking at a hitch hiker.

ETA: If this was team operation, two drivers as a team, she would have definitely been told to take her shoes off and hop in the bunk. There is no place else to sit.

That's a great reconstruction, Carl.

Leather and suede jackets eventually take on a sheen from body oils and general wear and tear, especially at the collar and sleeves. Has LE ever looked into whether the jacket appeared to be nearly new, suggesting she had recently obtained it, or had she been wearing it a long time? It might be worth checking at the Shawnee cultural center to see if anyone recognizes the jacket (that purple satin lining sounds distinctive) or her.

That's a great reconstruction, Carl.

Leather and suede jackets eventually take on a sheen from body oils and general wear and tear, especially at the collar and sleeves. Has LE ever looked into whether the jacket appeared to be nearly new, suggesting she had recently obtained it, or had she been wearing it a long time? It might be worth checking at the Shawnee cultural center to see if anyone recognizes the jacket (that purple satin lining sounds distinctive) or her.

I think that it said the jacket was "homemade". But I would guess that "homemade" could include those that are handmade by tribal craftsmen and sold on the reservations.

I check in here every once in awhile. Wanted to add my ditto to your great reconstruction, CarlK.

That jacket looks like it was made by native person. I'm from Texas, and I've seen plenty of C & W suede jackets at the livestock shows and rodeos. Doesn't look like those at all, IMHO.

Hi,
This is my first post here. The jacket interested me as well. I googled buckskin jacket and I found the picture below on ebay. I e-mailed the seller for info and he replied that there was a white tag inside the jacket that said "made in mexico". That was the only information he had on the jacket. I believe it's the same jacket, in better condition. I found another one made identical just in a different color and have emailed that seller to see what if any info they can provide. I don't know if this helps, but I'll keep searching for info on the jacket.
Thanks for letting me share,
Jen

Attachments

• Buckskin jacket as new.jpg
    Buckskin jacket as new.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 182
  • buckskin jacket as new back.jpg
    buckskin jacket as new back.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 136
Thanks lotsofdogs - Now, with a few modifications I can portray her in her full outfit.

f63fa215-a2d2-4e58-a361-16efde509286.jpg

Wow Carl! That's awesome. I've searched extensively for more info on the jacket. I'm beginning to think it was more of a frontier/mountain man style than Native American. I don't think it was a one of a kind though. I've found several like it when searching for vintage western clothing. Tomorrow I'm going to email a couple of vintage clothing resellers and see if they have any info. I don't know why, but I have this feeling she was from the Northwest. The jackets like this that I found for sale were all in that vicinity.

Please check this woman out, Beverly England, and see what you think. She's a little older, but I think she looks very much like Buckskin Jane's morgue photo. Unfoprtunately, there's little info to go on this one, no height, no weight. She disappeared from Salido, CO in June of 1980. Apparently took off with someone leaving her kids behind. That's kind of discouraging because there's no mention of Buckskin Jane as having previously given birth. Then too, there's no mention of her jewelry, and it's clear in the morgue photo that she's wearing earrings.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/england_beverly.html

Attachments

• england_beverly.jpg
    england_beverly.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 112
There seems to be a resemblance to me, especially in the mouth and nose, as well as the chin and face shape (although the morgue photo seems to be more rounded, possibly swollen?). I wish there was more info to go off like Beverley's height and weight.

Please check this woman out, Beverly England, and see what you think. She's a little older, but I think she looks very much like Buckskin Jane's morgue photo. Unfoprtunately, there's little info to go on this one, no height, no weight. She disappeared from Salido, CO in June of 1980. Apparently took off with someone leaving her kids behind. That's kind of discouraging because there's no mention of Buckskin Jane as having previously given birth. Then too, there's no mention of her jewelry, and it's clear in the morgue photo that she's wearing earrings.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/england_beverly.html

There are some similarities, but the one thing that jumps out at me as different is the cheekbones. BE has fairly prominent cheekbones. Buckskin Girl has virtually no cheekbone definition.

CarlK,

The way Beverly England's hair is draped on her face could make it appear as if she has strong cheek bones, but I'm not so sure they are all that prominent. BTW, Carl your photoshop work is of great help!

JA, you are seeing the same things I'm seeing. And you are right, her face is heavily swollen.

Guys, I think BE is worth submitting. I briefly looked to see if there was anything out there on the web about her, but didn't find anything.
I will wait before submitting Beverly England to see if anyone else chimes in.

Did anyone ever submit the Rains girl, Teresa? I thought she was worth submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn