OK - Nex Benedict, 16 year old student died after being beaten in school restroom, Owasso, Feb 8 2024

Due to the probable cause of death being an overdose and the fight being of "mutual combat," the DA said, in part, "I do not have a reasonable belief that the State of Oklahoma could sustain its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt if charges were presented for prosecution."

I'm not happy, but I'm not surprised.
Schools punish the bullies and the victims equally. They call it "zero tolerance".
It is not working, btw. It never has.

Schools do not care about your child, they care about liability. Always call the police (not security) to report assault, especially on campus. I've learned this first hand. Get that report, you need documentation!!

It sounds like Nex had multiple notes that the police believe are suicidal in nature? So not just one, clearly worded message? I feel I still need more information.

I'm not happy, but I'm not surprised.
Schools punish the bullies and the victims equally. They call it "zero tolerance".
It is not working, btw. It never has.

Schools do not care about your child, they care about liability. Always call the police (not security) to report assault, especially on campus. I've learned this first hand. Get that report, you need documentation!!

It sounds like Nex had multiple notes that the police believe are suicidal in nature? So not just one, clearly worded message? I feel I still need more information.
I agree. There's a clear-cut difference between bullies and those they bully.

Perhaps the prosecuting attorney felt he could not get a conviction due to the circumstances, but the school is well within its duty to expel the kids who were involved--permanently.

Oklahoma legislators are taking a position that puts them at adds with LBGTQ+ so I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this kind of stuff.

Since schooling is required, every child should be made to feel confident and safe in school. No matter who they are or how they identify.

Shame on Oklahoma.

FULL MEDICAL EXAMINER'S REPORT ON DEATH OF NEX BENEDICT RELEASED​

The Oklahoma Medical Examiner has released part of the results of their investigation into the death of an Owasso High School teen.

FULL MEDICAL EXAMINER'S REPORT ON DEATH OF NEX BENEDICT RELEASED​

The Oklahoma Medical Examiner has released part of the results of their investigation into the death of an Owasso High School teen.

It’s odd, IMO, that they would have self harmed on the top of the left hand. From my understanding, cutters usually aim for areas that are covered by clothes to keep it secret. Unless it was done as a cry for help that they wanted people to notice? I’m not saying it wasn’t self harm, just doesn’t seem to fit the usual pattern.

“A lot of teenagers self-harm in places you won’t be able to see, like their thighs, waistline, creases of their legs, and upper arms so T-shirts cover it,” VandeLinde says. “You can do all the right things as a parent and still miss it.”

It’s odd, IMO, that they would have self harmed on the top of the left hand. From my understanding, cutters usually aim for areas that are covered by clothes to keep it secret. Unless it was done as a cry for help that they wanted people to notice? I’m not saying it wasn’t self harm, just doesn’t seem to fit the usual pattern.

“A lot of teenagers self-harm in places you won’t be able to see, like their thighs, waistline, creases of their legs, and upper arms so T-shirts cover it,” VandeLinde says. “You can do all the right things as a parent and still miss it.”

To get a bit personal, that is where my SH scars are, so, not strange to me.

Toxic levels of diphenhydramine are 5000ng/mL, lethal levels are 8000ng/mL.

Nex had 15000ng/mL from the hospital sample, and 25000ng/mL from autopsy sample.

Fluoxentine is "minimally toxic" in combined blood levels of 1390ng/mL

Nex's blood levels were 2090ng/mL from hospital sample, and 2300ng/mL from autopsy sample.

It seems that Nex did not suffer any brain injury, and the contusions/bruising were superficial imo

and advanced atherosclerosis i would expect -- i saw that in the autopsy report of my family member that chain smoked.
as per report linked above "coronary arteries are free of atheroma"
the lung sections also showed no smoking-related damage. maybe the habit was new, or they were ingesting tobacco through a different route.

as per report linked above "coronary arteries are free of atheroma"
the lung sections also showed no smoking-related damage. maybe the habit was new, or they were ingesting tobacco through a different route.
I should have read the report rather than just this thread but i wasn't too well in the last couple of days and my reserves were tapped out.

Toxic levels of diphenhydramine are 5000ng/mL, lethal levels are 8000ng/mL.

Nex had 15000ng/mL from the hospital sample, and 25000ng/mL from autopsy sample.

Fluoxentine is "minimally toxic" in combined blood levels of 1390ng/mL

Nex's blood levels were 2090ng/mL from hospital sample, and 2300ng/mL from autopsy sample.
<rsbm>

Color me dumb on this one. Presumably hospital samples are acquired prior to autopsy, so why would autopsy levels be higher than the hospital samples?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back