Identified! OR - Cave Junction, 'Annie Doe' WhtFem UP10929, 16-20, Redwood Hwy, Aug'71 - Annie Lehman

I received this response from the Jospehine County Sheriif's Dept re: This Annie Doe and Sue Shelton from KY.

"Thank you for passing on the below information. We reviewed and have actually followed up on this lead before and unfortunately the DNA is not a match. If you find any additional possible matches please feel free to forward them on to us. We appreciate the assistance."

Last I checked Annie Doe was NOT entered into NAMUS.

LAR

Is there a list of rule outs?

I have a few people in mind...

For those of you not from the PNW, Joesphine Co has had HUGE cutbacks and has had to close down the major crimes unit, records unit, etc. So attempting to get additional info for cases like this one might be very difficult.

I have not seen any pictures of the jewelry. Originally I thought that the "AL" scratched onto the blue stone was scratched by hand by the victim or someone close to her. But I am wondering now could the description be poorly worded and it is a class ring of some sort? AL could stand for Abraham Lincoln (like Abraham Lincoln High School). The victim is right around the age where she might have something like that. I have never seen anyone scratch something into a stone (the metal yes, but not the stone) except for professional class rings which occasionally do this. BUT, this would be a big boo-boo on the part of LE not to mention that this was a class ring so that makes this theory less likely, IMO.

To give some non-locals some background about the area...

There are a LOT of campgrounds, hiking trails, picnic area, lakes and rivers around southern Oregon. Every year there are ten of thousands (if not more) people coming through to enjoy the outdoor activities. Because of the nice weather and outside area to camp in, we also get a lot of homeless people in the summer months.

Given that Annie Doe had a map in her possession, it is simple to deduce that she was here or passing through here, perhaps staying overnight in campgounds as a way to save money. I don't think she is camping as a vacation, though, based on her clothes.

Not many people do this on their own, especially not a woman of this age. Since her companion(s) have not spoken up, I am guessing they had a part in her death.

One last little bit of info:

milepost 35 is just south of Cave Junction, OR. I was just here last week. Redwood Hwy (Highway 199) goes from the coast of northern CA, beginning around Crescent City, CA, and goes through the redwood forests up into Oregon in a northeast type direction. Between Crescent City (IIRC) and Cave Junction it is more than an hour drive with nothing really but trees and an occasional campground. In other words, very deserted.

Given that Annie Doe had a map of CA in her pocket, we can guess that she came from that state and was traveling northerly up into OR. So why dispose of her there? Why not in the previous 60 miles plus of forest? Because her dump site is just a few miles south of Cave Junction, which is a small town but still- an area with people. So, maybe she was actually traveling south from central or southern oregon and this place was the first place someone felt they could hide her?

It is also possible she was trying to hitch a ride to the coast. But why is no one looking for her?

JMO. sad that there is nothing going on in this case.

I thought she was a perfect match for Martha Sue Shelton as well. The jewelry matches, height, time frame, hair... oh well , if the DNA don't match, guess not. ;-( But did anyone notice that the Does clothing doesn't seem to match dying in May 1971 or July 1971 which is what they estimated. Turtleneck, coat, etc... seems like weather was colder than May or July...

Actually I wouldn't put much store in the "warmness" of the clothes. Quite often in this area it gets brisk at night in the summer. Average daily low is around 50 degrees for July, average high 90.

I am glad you bumped this thread because I coincidentally went down to the local library and asked to see the newspapers from Aug 71. Unfortunately they are all on microfilm and I didn't have time to sit down and research. I am going to try again some other day when I have more time.

Josephine County Major Crime Unit has closed down due to money issues so I doubt anyone is working on this case..

there is one rule out.
, martha shelton.

age now extended from 16-20...now is 16-30
hair is auburn with blond streaks, but categorized in namus as red/auburn.

gold buckled shoes

3d reapproximation done in 2004 by JN

for a young woman in 1970 or 1971, the clothing and jewelry were decidedly un-hip. when I saw the coat I thought old lady. and mother of pearl ring?

I almost get the feeling some of this belonged to an older woman, say the UID's grandmother. if she was living with granny and granny passed away, then there literally coulld have been no one to report her missing.

Glad to hear she is finally in NamUs.

I know last I looked they refused to say how she died- but it is obvious to me now that it must have been murder.

Now that they have posted all those pics I hope and pray that someone will recognize something. That ring with the scratched initials is pretty distinctive.

YAY YAY for DNA!

Agree with webrocket...the shoes are really "old lady" shoes, too!

And the reconstruction looks older, too - although it's just not very good, so it's hard to tell...

Could the age possibly be a mistake???

So I've never done this before, But I'm going to throw out a bunch of links, explain what could have happened to get them there, Say why I think it might be them, and then give a "Could it be" meter, the meter starts at "I'm willing to bet money that it is this person; I could totally see it; maybe; it could be; and I doubt it"

Lynn Bernadette Luray
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2880dfca.html
It said she may have left with an older male, he could have kept her/she could have chosen to stay with him for a few years, something happens, she dies, he leaves her out in the woods.
Her nose vs. the recons nose look really close
Between maybe and I could totally see it, but closer to maybe

Terry Ann Kelley
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kelley_terry.html
She seems to be an incredibly gifted girl, but then it mentions that she had some troubles, She could have possibly run away and lived on the streets, or travelled.
Between it could be and I doubt it

Robin Ann Graham
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/980dfca.html
The Namus for the UID says that the person could have died in late 1970, let's say that she was picked up by a creep (Which it looks like she did), I could see someone killing another person, freaking out about what they did, driving to a different state and put a map in her pocket to throw off the trail.
Yes it says her hair is brown and not red, but being a red-head myself, I know that even if you have a slight natural red undertone to your hair you can be considered a red-head, ALSO red hair is sometimes hard to see in a photo unless it's Orange. Go ahead and look at my photos, does it look like I have red hair? Because I actually have quite vivid red hair.
I could totally see it.

Laura Lee Asynithe Flink
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2032dfwa.html
She could have told her live-in boyfriend that she was driving to Moclips as a cover so that she could go get a "Shmashmortion." Seeing as how she just won her 16 month old son, she may have been petrified at the thought of raising another child. Back then, illegal abortions were unregulated and many people died because of them. The doctor, not wanting to be found out, could have sent someone to get rid of her body (Or got rid of her body him/herself), I could see someone going all the way down to California for a body dump but then thinking that he/she was going to get checked at the Cali/Ore boarder, buying a map to make it look like she was a traveller, and leaving her out in the forest.
It could be, but I kinda doubt it.

LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST

Christine Marie Eastin
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/275dfca.html
I don't know why, but I just really get the feeling that this is her. Same weight. The height is off but when it comes to skeletal remains, the height has been off as much as six inches, so it's not obscenely off. Remember what I said about the red hair plus in the picture it looks like it could actually be considered red hair. The age is right, and the timing is right.
I would be willing to bet money

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back