OR OR - Fauna Frey, 45, Grants Pass, 29 Jun 2020

45-Year-Old Fauna Frey has been missing since Sunday, June 28, 2020 with no clue as to her current whereabouts. The family has set up an anonymous tip line at 541-359-5638 and email address, findfaunafrey@gmail.com for anyone who has any leads for her family and law enforcement.

She is described as a caucasian woman, 5’6″, 135-150 pounds, with blue eyes and blonde hair in her mid 40’s. She has a tattoo on her back and was last seen wearing a neon green and purple pullover, capri pants, and a dark t-shirt. At the time of her disappearance, Frey was driving a dark blue 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has been confirmed that she picked up a hitchhiker the day she went missing, but that person has been found and interviewed by police.

1687191394299.jpeg

Thank you for that article, @imstilla.grandma. I don't remember seeing a complete list of Fauna's purchases, and it's interesting...

May 25, 2023
Fauna Frey, Last Seen in Grants Pass, Oregon, Still Missing After Four Years
[...]

6/28/20

10:08am Fauna stops at Creswell 76 Station, $20 purchase
11:40am Fauna picks up chicken strips for **** dog. We believe she stopped at the Wolf Creek Store and bought them there.
11:45am Fauna stops at **** house in Wolf Creek. Spends 30 minutes with ****. **** provided Fauna an address via DEX to *advertiser censored* Onion Mountain Rd.
??? Picks up hitchhiker NOT SURE WHAT TIME took her to Fish Hatchery Rd (takes 31 min to get to gas station in Cave Junction)
7:04pm Cave Junction Chevron $25 Purchase
7:45pm checked into Super 8 hotel
>8:00pm approx. called her dad John at home
8:30pm approx. goes to Fred Meyers purchased ($138.28):
socks
VO5 shampoo
Pantene conditioner
2 Burt’s Bees
deli sandwich
1 bag of potato chips
some active wear clothing
2 cans of Fosters Beer
Fred Meyer video footage captures her walking to her car wearing a neon green and purple pull over. (It is confirmed Fauna arrived back to her room at the Super 8 after her shopping trip alone).

6/29/20

8:35am Video showed Fauna leaving hotel room and Super 8 in Grants Pass
11:44am $200 cash withdrawal from Umpqua Bank in Rogue River
12:36pm Big 5 purchased ($250.77):
3 pack of palm held flashlights
Lantern
Capris
Tennis shoes
Sports bra
2:35pm Fauna made a reservation at Weasku Inn Reservations system
3:39pm Gooseberries purchase ($56.61):
10 tuna packs
3 cans of iced coffee
1 smoothie
No other banking activity

[...]

Thank you for that article, @imstilla.grandma. I don't remember seeing a complete list of Fauna's purchases, and it's interesting...

May 25, 2023
Fauna Frey, Last Seen in Grants Pass, Oregon, Still Missing After Four Years
[...]

6/28/20

10:08am Fauna stops at Creswell 76 Station, $20 purchase
11:40am Fauna picks up chicken strips for **** dog. We believe she stopped at the Wolf Creek Store and bought them there.
11:45am Fauna stops at **** house in Wolf Creek. Spends 30 minutes with ****. **** provided Fauna an address via DEX to *advertiser censored* Onion Mountain Rd.
??? Picks up hitchhiker NOT SURE WHAT TIME took her to Fish Hatchery Rd (takes 31 min to get to gas station in Cave Junction)
7:04pm Cave Junction Chevron $25 Purchase
7:45pm checked into Super 8 hotel
>8:00pm approx. called her dad John at home
8:30pm approx. goes to Fred Meyers purchased ($138.28):
socks
VO5 shampoo
Pantene conditioner
2 Burt’s Bees
deli sandwich
1 bag of potato chips
some active wear clothing
2 cans of Fosters Beer
Fred Meyer video footage captures her walking to her car wearing a neon green and purple pull over. (It is confirmed Fauna arrived back to her room at the Super 8 after her shopping trip alone).

6/29/20

8:35am Video showed Fauna leaving hotel room and Super 8 in Grants Pass
11:44am $200 cash withdrawal from Umpqua Bank in Rogue River
12:36pm Big 5 purchased ($250.77):
3 pack of palm held flashlights
Lantern
Capris
Tennis shoes
Sports bra
2:35pm Fauna made a reservation at Weasku Inn Reservations system
3:39pm Gooseberries purchase ($56.61):
10 tuna packs
3 cans of iced coffee
1 smoothie
No other banking activity

[...]
Thanks for the description of Fauna's purchases. I have seen this list before, but now that you brought it up again my gut feeling is that she was getting ready for an adventure...
1)
Taking a shower & washing her hair (last opportunity to get clean)
2)
Buying athletic clothes & socks + chapstick (getting ready for lots of serious hiking)
3)
Non-perishable food: tuna packets & a few days worth of cold coffee (planning to camp remotely without access to consumables)
4)
flashlights/lantern (planning to camp remotely)

Was she planning on going out on a multi-day long car camping or hiking trip away from supplies?

Last edited:
Hello to all searching for Fauna; I hope 2023 brings the answers we are looking for.

I want to begin this post by sharing my belief that Fauna Frey has disappeared due to foul play. It is not a conclusion I have come to lightly; and I will do my best to explain how I have come to this firm belief in a future post.

For now, and most importantly, I want to update anyone intending to search where her car was left (Lower Grave Creek Boat Ramp to BLM 34-8-1) that the Merlin/Galice access side is completely closed as of May 2023. I have been approaching the area from 1-5 > Wolf Creek > Lower Grave Creek Rd > to the boat ramp>to the BLM road. My personal opinion at this time is that her car was dumped in this location. I have another trip planned at the end of June 2023 and will update if the Merlin/Galice side is open. Just make sure to google the route before you go.

<modsnip - reference to non-approved source>
From what I am seeing Grave Creek Boat Landing is the start of the Rogue River Trail.
I am wondering if Fauna was planning to camp on the Rouge River Trail & felt she needed one more night to prepare for that trip...
So she was dispersed camping up on Rueben Mountain Rd, where her car was found, a few miles away from the Rogue River trailhead, when something happened to her before she was able to depart on the Rogue River Trail?

"Her car was found on Sept. 23 on Reuben Mountain Road, a few miles past Grave Creek Boat Landing"

Last edited:
JUN 27, 2023
[...]

In an interview, we conducted with Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel, last year he said, “You don’t quit, you still look at all the angles, you vet all persons of interest which we’ve done and continue to do, you just follow every lead you can, and you hope a tip comes in or pops up that has merit.”

The Josephine County Sheriff’s Office is leading the case. Three years later Sheriff Daniel says the case is still open.

The Sheriff’s Office still accepts tips and says they’re still taking all of them seriously.

This post is all my opinion as a random local person obsessed with this case and the area in which it occurred.

<modsnip - discussing moderation on the thread is a violation of TOS.>

What do I think happened to Fauna?

I think the most likely scenario is that Fauna Frey encountered the wrong person on her trip to Josephine County, Oregon. I think it was a crime of opportunity, and she was robbed, carjacked, or offered kindness to the wrong person. I strongly suspect she was abducted or picked someone up on Sunday, June 28, 2020, likely en route to or around Fish Hatchery Park in Grants Pass, Oregon.

After she was abducted, I believe somebody dumped her car at the location it was found on Mt Ruben Rd, Wolf Creek, Oregon. I think this particular area would only be known to locals, most likely locals of Wolf Creek, Sunny Valley, and/or rural Josephine County north of Grants Pass, Oregon.

Did she go to the Mt. Ruben location to hike or camp?

No, I don’t believe so. While the entrance to Mt. Ruben Rd. ( off of BLM 34-8-1) is situated at the base of two hiking trails; there is no way her car was parked where it was found to hike them. There are dedicated parking lots/areas for both trailheads.

BLM 34-8-1 is a dirt road of medium-rough terrain. I most recently visited in May of 2023 in a Jeep, and it is steep and slow going. Due to time constraints, I have not made it to where Fauna’s car was left. See Picture 1- The BLM sign states 34-8-1 is 33 miles total and takes an average of 3 hours to traverse by car. Please see Picture 2- Fauna’s car was found off this road several miles up.

I do have another trip planned—just waiting for my Dad to come back in town so he can go with me, hopefully later this month.

Is this area dangerous?

Yes and no. It is dangerous enough that I wont go out to Mt. Ruben alone; and I wont get out of the car if I am alone once past the gas station/ Wolf Creek Inn when approaching from Wolf Creek. I will not leave the car alone in Sunny Valley past the covered bridge. But this is from my perspective as a 30 yr old woman when exploring alone. Plenty of ordinary people live out here, too; and when my Dad is with me my most significant concern is wildlife and possible open-pit mines.

You would not want to be caught in the wrong spot, though! This tiny community of 1,276 people lies directly on Interstate I-5, 20+ miles from the nearest town of Grants Pass. <modsnip - opinion stated as fact, or statement of fact with no source>

<modsnip - off topic (also, statements of fact with no source?>

Here is the point- most people out here want to be left to their own. My other point- for a population of 1200 folks, there sure is a lot of weird *advertiser censored* going on.

That is all I have for now. Again, I hope to drive up to Mt. Ruben in late July and will post back when I do. As far as I am aware, the Merlin/Galice side is still closed; and coming from Wolf Creek is the only way to approach Graves Creek Boat Ramp by car at this time.

TLDR- Fauna most likely disappeared due to foul play.

Attachments

• Picture 1 .jpg
    Picture 1 .jpg
    143 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
This post is all my opinion as a random local person obsessed with this case and the area in which it occurred.
<modsnip>

I think the most likely scenario is that Fauna Frey encountered the wrong person on her trip to Josephine County, Oregon. I think it was a crime of opportunity, and she was robbed, carjacked, or offered kindness to the wrong person. I strongly suspect she was abducted or picked someone up on Sunday, June 28, 2020, likely en route to or around Fish Hatchery Park in Grants Pass, Oregon.

After she was abducted, I believe somebody dumped her car at the location it was found on Mt Ruben Rd, Wolf Creek, Oregon. I think this particular area would only be known to locals, most likely locals of Wolf Creek, Sunny Valley, and/or rural Josephine County north of Grants Pass, Oregon.

No, I don’t believe so. While the entrance to Mt. Ruben Rd. ( off of BLM 34-8-1) is situated at the base of two hiking trails; there is no way her car was parked where it was found to hike them. There are dedicated parking lots/areas for both trailheads.

BLM 34-8-1 is a dirt road of medium-rough terrain. I most recently visited in May of 2023 in a Jeep, and it is steep and slow going. Due to time constraints, I have not made it to where Fauna’s car was left. See Picture 1- The BLM sign states 34-8-1 is 33 miles total and takes an average of 3 hours to traverse by car. Please see Picture 2- Fauna’s car was found off this road several miles up.

I do have another trip planned—just waiting for my Dad to come back in town so he can go with me, hopefully later this month.

Is this area dangerous?

Yes and no. It is dangerous enough that I wont go out to Mt. Ruben alone; and I wont get out of the car if I am alone once past the gas station/ Wolf Creek Inn when approaching from Wolf Creek. I will not leave the car alone in Sunny Valley past the covered bridge. But this is from my perspective as a 30 yr old woman when exploring alone. Plenty of ordinary people live out here, too; and when my Dad is with me my most significant concern is wildlife and possible open-pit mines.

<modsnip>
Here is the point- most people out here want to be left to their own. My other point- for a population of 1200 folks, there sure is a lot of weird *advertiser censored* going on.

That is all I have for now. Again, I hope to drive up to Mt. Ruben in late July and will post back when I do. As far as I am aware, the Merlin/Galice side is still closed; and coming from Wolf Creek is the only way to approach Graves Creek Boat Ramp by car at this time.

Correction to this post-- the date I think she was taken is Monday, June 29, 2020 after 2:30 pm; en route to or around Fish Hatchey Park, Grants Pass, OR-- 1980 Weatherbee Dr., Grants Pass OR 97527

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow! This is a lot of insightful & detailed information! Thank you for sharing

If you don't think she went out there to hike or camp how would you explain her purchases?

Buying the flashlights & lantern really confuses me. It makes it seem as if she was preparing to camp. Do you think she bought these for someone else? There was no one else on camera, but maybe they were out of sight?

Also, if I remember correctly her car was locked when it was found. This seems strange to me if her vehicle was stolen. Any thoughts on her car being locked?

Last edited:
SEP 15, 2023
[...]

Fauna Frey's dad, John Frey, has agreed to sit down with us here at Newsweek to share information that has previously been unknown to the public. Fauna Frey was traveling with thousands of dollars in silver coins. A saddlebag with her name on it was found near a park that she frequented. And why was there a box of hair dye found in her Jeep? Could Fauna Frey still be alive?

[...]

John Frey: The silver coins were her brother's when he passed. ... One day, she came up to me and said she was taking the silver. She told me she was going to give it away to Dallas' [her brother's] friends.

[...]

John Frey: I think it was originally about $25,000, and about seven of that she left with one of Dallas' closest friends.

Jesse Edwards: So, she still had about $18,000 in silver coins?

John Frey: Roughly, yeah.

[...]

John Frey: Oh, I bet it weighs 40 pounds. Not something you can take a hike with. They were all the same. There's no dates on them.

Fauna Coins

Fauna Frey was known to be carrying nearly $18,000 of silver coins similar to the ones pictured here when she disappeared.

Fauna Jeep 2

The interior passenger's side of Fauna Frey's Jeep after it was recovered by law enforcement with her belongings inside.

[...]

John Frey: She had a North Face backpack, and it was just a day pack. You might be able to get the silver in there, but nothing else. And you're not going to take 40 pounds of silver on a hike. ...

[...]

John Frey: Well, we know that she was on Fish Hatchery Road because when she called me the night after she left. She talked to me about the hitchhiker, and giving her a ride. Right in that area is where the saddlebag with her name stamped on it was found. We had a sighting from reputable people who said that they saw Fauna in a white BMW coming out of a driveway on Fish Hatchery. They gave me the address and said that there were some dopers, and they were having a lot of problems with this address. I started checking the place out, so months went by, and this property changed hands twice, so it was sold to new people. The new people called us and said that the saddlebag was left there. They knew from flyers about Fauna, so they said, "this is weird." And it was.

[...]

1694887767299.png

[...]

Here One Minute, Gone the Next | Podcast on Spotify

The coins shown are American Buffalo coins. They are bullion coins with no denomination. Although their design is based on the Buffalo Nickel minted between 1913 and 1938, they are privately minted and are not legal tender. Their value is tied to the price of silver. Any retail cashier that accepts such coins is guaranteed to be called on the carpet by the end of the day.

buffalo silver coin - Google Search

SEP 15, 2023
[...]

Fauna Frey's dad, John Frey, has agreed to sit down with us here at Newsweek to share information that has previously been unknown to the public. Fauna Frey was traveling with thousands of dollars in silver coins. A saddlebag with her name on it was found near a park that she frequented. And why was there a box of hair dye found in her Jeep? Could Fauna Frey still be alive?

[...]

John Frey: The silver coins were her brother's when he passed. ... One day, she came up to me and said she was taking the silver. She told me she was going to give it away to Dallas' [her brother's] friends.

[...]

John Frey: I think it was originally about $25,000, and about seven of that she left with one of Dallas' closest friends.

Jesse Edwards: So, she still had about $18,000 in silver coins?

John Frey: Roughly, yeah.

[...]

John Frey: Oh, I bet it weighs 40 pounds. Not something you can take a hike with. They were all the same. There's no dates on them.

Fauna Frey was known to be carrying nearly $18,000 of silver coins similar to the ones pictured here when she disappeared.

[...]

John Frey: She had a North Face backpack, and it was just a day pack. You might be able to get the silver in there, but nothing else. And you're not going to take 40 pounds of silver on a hike. ...

[...]

John Frey: Well, we know that she was on Fish Hatchery Road because when she called me the night after she left. She talked to me about the hitchhiker, and giving her a ride. Right in that area is where the saddlebag with her name stamped on it was found. We had a sighting from reputable people who said that they saw Fauna in a white BMW coming out of a driveway on Fish Hatchery. They gave me the address and said that there were some dopers, and they were having a lot of problems with this address. I started checking the place out, so months went by, and this property changed hands twice, so it was sold to new people. The new people called us and said that the saddlebag was left there. They knew from flyers about Fauna, so they said, "this is weird." And it was.

[...]

View attachment 447431

[...]

Here One Minute, Gone the Next | Podcast on Spotify
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I finally am formulating some sort of theory on what happened to this poor woman.

SEP 18, 2023
[...]

When she went missing, John said that she had $18,000 worth of coins with her.

On top of that, John also revealed that a saddlebag with Fauna’s name stamped on it was found West of Grants Pass on Fish Hatchery Road in Wilderville with a strap wrapped around a post.

“The big thing that comes to my mind is that it seems to be a message,” John Frey said on a Newsweek podcast. “This bag was cut down the middle, so it was only half of a saddlebag. It was obviously re-purposed as a purse. It was big enough where actually you could have probably fit all the coins in there.”

Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel is not happy with these details being released to the public saying that it could hurt the investigation.

[...]

Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel is not happy with these details being released to the" public saying that it could hurt the investigation."

That's rich coming from Sheriff Daniel who allowed Fauna's car to sit untouched for well over a year before forensics could get around to it.

<modsnip - discussing moderation on the thread is a violation of TOS.>

Is this area dangerous?

You would not want to be caught in the wrong spot, though! This tiny community of 1,276 people lies directly on Interstate I-5, 20+ miles from the nearest town of Grants Pass. <modsnip - opinion stated as fact, or statement of fact with no source>

<modsnip - off topic (also, statements of fact with no source?>

Here is the point- most people out here want to be left to their own. My other point- for a population posts on this thread todayof 1200 folks, there sure is a lot of weird *advertiser censored* going on.

I read through posts on this thread today though I did read about FF previously. there are a lot of things that do not exactly make sense to me. FF was from Oregon, right? Was she familiar with this area in which she went missing? She does not seem, from what is in the public news, to be a big hiker- no backpack, hiking boots, water bottles or camelbak. The things she bought- snacks, a change of light clothing- seem more like something you would wear for a day hike or mostly car trip where you drive and hop in and out for a little sight seeing. That would also make sense if she had an Inn reservation back at Grant's Pass that night- she was still shopping at noon so not "getting an early start" for a hike and unless she was going somewhere she knew really well, she has no maps or GPS.

Presumably her keys, wallet, cards maybe burner phone (why is she using a burner phone?) are missing with her. Did she agree to meet some one? Was she still looking for some of her brother's friends? Not convinced that she was just abducted but since the sherrif says 6-7 middle aged women missing in the area....? Was FF not worried about the area at all? And if she was going somewhere, why didn't she tell her father where she was headed? Was she so upset about her brother that she was just not thinking straight and sort of doing this and doing that without too much logic?

She does not seem, from what is in the public news, to be a big hiker- no backpack, hiking boots, water bottles or camelbak. The things she bought- snacks, a change of light clothing- seem more like something you would wear for a day hike or mostly car trip where you drive and hop in and out for a little sight seeing.
Exactly what I was thinking.

In fact, what she bought from the stores all seems to be a little scatter gun approach, with little thought or planning.

Some useful items for a short hike, but no real outdoorsy/camping equipment.

Some tinned food, but nothing to make a complete meal.

Some food and drink to consume "straight away" ....but nothing to fill you up and provide decent energy for a long day ahead.

It was almost like "supermarket sweep" kind of purchases, like she was in a hurry with no real idea, kind of "Oh, that'll do!"

I do however, think she met with a nefarious person(s), because.....Oregon! The Pacific Northwest seems to have a crazy amount of missing solo women in suspicious circumstances. The odds are high this is what happened.

Also, there was no proof she took camping and proper hiking gear with her, boots, tent etc.
I doubt she went missing on a hiking trail, as I don't think she planned to do one!
She never mentioned hiking as a hobby, and she didn't seem the type to hike.

She spent most of the previous day just bumming around visiting local attractions.
If she wanted to go hiking, and that was the sole purpose, she would've gone hiking straight away when she got to that area, if that was the plan.

MOO.

Last edited:
I read through posts on this thread today though I did read about FF previously. there are a lot of things that do not exactly make sense to me. FF was from Oregon, right? Was she familiar with this area in which she went missing? She does not seem, from what is in the public news, to be a big hiker- no backpack, hiking boots, water bottles or camelbak. The things she bought- snacks, a change of light clothing- seem more like something you would wear for a day hike or mostly car trip where you drive and hop in and out for a little sight seeing. That would also make sense if she had an Inn reservation back at Grant's Pass that night- she was still shopping at noon so not "getting an early start" for a hike and unless she was going somewhere she knew really well, she has no maps or GPS.

Presumably her keys, wallet, cards maybe burner phone (why is she using a burner phone?) are missing with her. Did she agree to meet some one? Was she still looking for some of her brother's friends? Not convinced that she was just abducted but since the sherrif says 6-7 middle aged women missing in the area....? Was FF not worried about the area at all? And if she was going somewhere, why didn't she tell her father where she was headed? Was she so upset about her brother that she was just not thinking straight and sort of doing this and doing that without too much logic?
SEP 18, 2023
[...]

When she went missing, John said that she had with her.

On top of that, John also revealed that a saddlebag with Fauna’s name stamped on it was found West of Grants Pass on Fish Hatchery Road in Wilderville with a strap wrapped around a post.

Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel is not happy with these details being released to the public saying that it could hurt the investigation.

[...]
I think we can throw out the hiking theory completely now.

On the Newsweek podcast, John said that Fauna’s brother had recently died, and she was in Grants Pass to distribute silver coins totaling $25,000 in value among her brother’s friends.

I don't know about you but I'm wondering where/how did Fauna's brother came in possession of
$ 25.000 worth of coins in the first place and why did these coins had to be distributed among "friends". Was he a collector, was it a loot, was he in debt with this people, just because he loved them so much and they were valuable to him in life?

Josephine County Sheriff Dave Daniel is not happy with these details being released to the" public saying that it could hurt the investigation."

That's rich coming from Sheriff Daniel who allowed Fauna's car to sit untouched for well over a year before forensics could get around to it.
Wow and I wonder if the fingerprints in the car have finally been processed yet.

In the Newsweek podcast, John said that Fauna’s brother had recently died, and she was in Grants Pass to distribute silver coins totaling $25,000 in value among her brother’s friends.

Yes, this does put a slightly different slant on the case now we know this.

The chances of kidnapping/robbery have gone.up enormously.

And of course, needless to say, there are no signs of the coins in her car, on her person or.....anywhere. That's telling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back