OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Hi Guys,

I'm set to listen to the local noon news, but after hearing that presser this morning, it doesn't look good. The one man in the cave is at 10,200' elevation, which is 3000' feet higher than they are right now. Winds are sustained at 60mph with gusts expected up there this afternoon of 80mph. That is a hurricane with whiteout snow they said, and it isn't looking promising.

I think I heard they have heard other faint pings, and the one company that has volunteered their services makes a product used to catch terrorists by their cellies.

The other co from Colorado that is donating their services - I didn't really catch what they do, but it is an infarred seeking device that looks like a boomarang that they fly through the air. even in snow, to locate any miniscule heat source. Almost like it is a Godsend in this situation - I had no idea they had this technology.

The problem then is even if they locate their locations today they probably won't be able to gtet to them. Like the Army officer said, that hurricane is where man and machine stop!

The family is hopeful, thankful so many Americans have rallied with support for one of their own.

NEW INFO: Conditions on Mtn much worse. 3 unmanned drones - the Boomerangs that are quite small, are on there way to the mtn and will be used this afternoon. Kelly might have moved. No signals coming from the mountain. Crews running down, tired, so difficult. They are now searching on the south side of the mtn by Timberline Lodge, thinking the men got lost in the woods. Sat is first real window for better weather. Storm coming in will have 100mph sustained winds.

If Kelly has a way to heat water or stay warm, he could survive for many more days.

Where I live the winds will be at least 60 tomorrow which means my electricity will probably go out. Gotta go to the store this afternoon and buy some candles. Trying to rack my brain on what else I'll need! :waitasec: LOL

Scandi

Thanks for the updates Sun and Scandi. From the weather report I saw, it appeared that Saturday was probably going to be the next day, with any reasonable weather, to possibly effect a rescue. That's a very long time to have to wait.

In the meantime we are learning about some new tools that may be employed. The flying wing boomerang drone with the infra-red capabilities, and the cell phone locator, sound as if they may be very helpful in this situation. Let's hope they prove exceptionally effective, and that there is a break in the weather.

Stay warm and safe Scandi.

Thanks Buzz, If my power goes out I know I'll be wishing I was at your house for a hot bowl of turkey soup!~ At least Sunday will be better, as I have allocated all day for baking cookies. :)

This storm today is already brewing outside. I'm about to turn on my heat for abit, and looking outside the wind is blowing the fir trees back and forth and of course it is raining.

It is interesting that both these companies are new ones from what I heard early this morning, It will bring them both great publicity, and I'm also hoping that at least they will locate the men to a pointed spot, so Saturday it will just be one climb up to retreive them.

I wonder why they start out so late in the morning to climb, the S & R that is. I know at 5:30 they start to get ready.

Scandi

Here is a current picture of what it looks like now up there from the webcam. I believe this is down at the base, and not up at that 6000' level:

vista.jpg

Pretty snowy! Scandi

BTW, this photo is live and updates every 15 min or so. When I first posted it there was either icy fog which is common there or more snow coming down, as it has cleared up a bit. I always like a visual as it helps my thought process. LOL Scandi

This was posted by DonnV of Vancouver on the CascadeClimbers blog site:

I'm not sure this is at all helpful at this point, but I did talk to these guys early afternoon on Thursday at the TJ cabin and I got the distinct impression they were heading for one of the standard North Face lines, and not Cooper Spur or Eliot Headwall. Four of us had been climbing ice flows on the left side of the Eliot that day and I stopped at the cabin to get an empty water bottle I had left on the way up. They asked for any info on how to get down onto the Eliot since they would be doing it in the dark, asked how safe I thought it was traveling on the glacier, and wanted a guess on how long it would take them to reach the schrund at the base of the NF gullies. They never really said exactly what line they were climbing, but they asked for any beta on the routes. I told them what I could about the right gully, the only line I've done. They were completely unfazed at the possibility of some WI3 and lots of 45-50 degree mileage. I had the impression the route was well within their abilities. I knew they would be carrying over, but didn't get a chance to see how they were equipped for camping.

They seemed like great guys. Offered to fill my water bottle and offered all of us cocoa. Had the cabin fired up and warm and seemed very enthused about their climb. I wished them luck and told them I hoped the weather held for them. The last weather report I'd seen on Wednesday eve made it look like Thursday was the last decent day for some time. I am really hoping to hear good news sometime soon.

Buzzm1 said:
Climbers not found; searchers turning back
The window of relatively calm weather today is closing as night falls, and searches scouring Mount Hood for the missing climbers are turning back.

A search helicopter briefly got off the ground this afternoon but couldn't rise above 6,000 feet because of powerful winds. An airplane also couldn't get close to the mountain because of wind.

One of the missing climbers is believed to be in a snow cave at 10,300 feet.

The mood is one of disappointment, said Gerry Tiffany, a detective sergeant with the Hood River County Sheriff's Office.

"The weather isn't predicted to get any better," Tiffany said.

Sheriff Joe Wampler had said that this afternoon's helicopter attempt represented the best chance of locating the climbers, who split into two groups after one was too weak or injured to carry on.

Kelly James, Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke set out to climb the mountain Thursday and descend it Friday. Hall and Cooke built a snow cave for James before leaving to find help.

Tiffany said searchers will regroup tonight and discuss a strategy for Wednesday's search.

http://www.oregonlive.com/

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mountain Locator Unit could have helped two climbers
Rescuers say a Mountain Locator Unit could have made all the difference for at least two of three missing climbers on Mount Hood.

The units were created after nine students and adults from an Oregon Episcopal School field trip died in 1986 as they huddled in a snow cave or ventured out in a snowstorm in search of help. Searchers came within 15 feet of their snow cave the day before they were found.

The units are worn on a sash across the chest and are relatively light, said Steve Rollins, president of Portland Mountain Rescue. They can be rented for as little as $5 at mountain shops, including REI, Oregon Mountain Community and the Mt. Hood Inn at Government Camp. The inn is open 24 hours.

"So you can walk in at 2 a.m. in the morning to rent one if you want," Rollins said.

Rollins said the units, which were made specifically for Mount Hood, could have made all the difference in the search so far for Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, who dug their injured or exhausted friend Kelly James a snow cave and sought help.

"We don't even know what side of the mountain they're on," Rollins said of Hall and Cooke.

The group left their car Thursday, reached the summit and planned to descend Friday. James' general location has been determined through his cell phone signal, but searchers haven't been able to reach him because of wintry weather.

Rollins said personal locator's beacons also are an option. They can be bought, with prices at REI around $600 of $700, or rented for use in any wilderness area.
I think they should take a credit card number and give the responders out free to each climber. I wonder if it is worth their taking in 5 big bucks, or the life of the person. The chance that during an avalanche or storm that a climber can be found. Yes, definitely.........free to all climbers.
If they don't return them then they get charged a fee on the card number they left. Because here we have an incident when it was the utmost importance in saving these men's lives. That has got to be changed....someone at these lodges should recognize this right now.
They are too great of a device, to be sitting in a lodge........when people head up to the high peaks of snow, sleek, mountains...........Yikes, I am just so sad about these climbers.

scandi said:
Hi Guys,

I'm set to listen to the local noon news, but after hearing that presser this morning, it doesn't look good. The one man in the cave is at 10,200' elevation, which is 3000' feet higher than they are right now. Winds are sustained at 60mph with gusts expected up there this afternoon of 80mph. That is a hurricane with whiteout snow they said, and it isn't looking promising.

I think I heard they have heard other faint pings, and the one company that has volunteered their services makes a product used to catch terrorists by their cellies.

The other co from Colorado that is donating their services - I didn't really catch what they do, but it is an infarred seeking device that looks like a boomarang that they fly through the air. even in snow, to locate any miniscule heat source. Almost like it is a Godsend in this situation - I had no idea they had this technology.

The problem then is even if they locate their locations today they probably won't be able to gtet to them. Like the Army officer said, that hurricane is where man and machine stop!

The family is hopeful, thankful so many Americans have rallied with support for one of their own.

NEW INFO: Conditions on Mtn much worse. 3 unmanned drones - the Boomerangs that are quite small, are on there way to the mtn and will be used this afternoon. Kelly might have moved. No signals coming from the mountain. Crews running down, tired, so difficult. They are now searching on the south side of the mtn by Timberline Lodge, thinking the men got lost in the woods. Sat is first real window for better weather. Storm coming in will have 100mph sustained winds.

If Kelly has a way to heat water or stay warm, he could survive for many more days.

Where I live the winds will be at least 60 tomorrow which means my electricity will probably go out. Gotta go to the store this afternoon and buy some candles. Trying to rack my brain on what else I'll need! :waitasec: LOL

Scandi
Great information and pictures coming from you Scandi.
The climbers blog is interesting. I can imagine everyone sitting in that gorgeous lodge next to the huge fireplace and just wishing there was a way.
The view of all the mountains from up there are just unforgetable........
All those snow capped mountains in the summertime, reaching to the sky.Something we just don't see here on the East coast. I am going to hate to hear tomorrows weather......and winds your way. So many people trying and the odds are not getting better. Just pray is all we can do.........

scandi said:
Hi Guys,

Scandi
Great information and pictures coming from you Scandi.
The climbers blog is interesting. I can imagine everyone sitting in that gorgeous lodge next to the huge fireplace and just wishing there was a way.
The view of all the mountains from up there are just unforgettable........
All those snow capped mountains in the summertime, reaching to the sky.Something we just don't see here on the East coast. I am going to hate to hear tomorrows weather......and winds your way. So many people trying and the odds are not getting better. Just pray is all we can do.........

Search for Climbers 'Not Looking Very Good'

COOPER SPUR, Ore. (Dec. 13) - Cold rain lashed the base of Mount Hood on Wednesday as search parties headed back up the treacherous slopes to look for three climbers missing since the weekend.

A fresh team was joining the search Wednesday, and crews may get some help from heat-seeking, unmanned aircraft provided by a Colorado company and pinpoint cell phone detection equipment from another high-tech company, said Pete Hughes of the Hood River County Sheriff's Department.

"But if anybody is above the 7,000-foot range, we're not going to be able to get to them," Hughes said. "And we're probably not going to be able to get to them by Thursday either, unless there happens to be a break in the weather."

Even at the base camp at Cooper Spur, the wind hit 60 mph Wednesday morning and temperatures hovered in the 30s. At higher elevations, the teams have faced wind so strong it knocked them off their feet, plus poor visibility in blowing snow and a threat of avalanches. More stormy weather was in the forecast.

"The next 48 hours is not looking very good," Hughes said.

Plans called for two staging camps on the north and south sides of the mountain so teams can head to the summit quickly if the weather breaks, he said.

There had been no contact with the missing climbers since Sunday, when one reached his family by cell phone to say he was in a snow cave high on the mountain and his two companions had gone for help.

The rescue effort was hampered because the three climbers had taken one of the most difficult approaches to the summit, scaling the north side of the mountain where slopes tilt at angles of 50 or 60 degrees and feature become sheer walls of ice.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...y/20061212104209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Again, thanks for the updates Buzz and Scandi.

I've been wondering if they are all together in Kelly James's snow cave - it just seems if they were on the way back down the mountain they possibly would have been found by now.

Ca-Sun said:
Again, thanks for the updates Buzz and Scandi.

I've been wondering if they are all together in Kelly James's snow cave - it just seems if they were on the way back down the mountain they possibly would have been found by now.
Sun, once the other two started down the mountain to get help for Kelly James, I doubt that they managed, or wanted to, to somewhow climb back up during inclement weather. If they are very lucky they are holed up somewhere below there in a snow cave. I thought it was mentioned that they had cell phones too, but any info on pings from their phones have been very vague.

With respect to not carrying Mountain Locator Units, or the satellite Personal Locator Beacon, after being all alone in a foxhole somewhere on the mountain, they would, in hindsight, think it would have been a really great idea. As many soldiers have said, in a foxhole, during war, is where everyone learns how to pray, when we realize, if we are to survive, we need help from elsewhere.

Buzzm1 said:
Sun, once the other two started down the mountain to get help for Kelly James, I doubt that they managed, or wanted to, to somewhow climb back up during inclement weather. If they are very lucky they are holed up somewhere below there in a snow cave. I thought it was mentioned that they had cell phones too, but any info on pings from their phones have been very vague.

With respect to not carrying Mountain Locator Units, or the satellite Personal Locator Beacon, after being all alone in a foxhole somewhere on the mountain, they would, in hindsight, think it would have been a really great idea. As many soldiers have said, in a foxhole, during war, is where everyone learns how to pray, when we realize, if we are to survive, we need help from elsewhere.
Most likely you are correct, Buzz - I was simply hoping that might be the case. Re the MLU and the PLB's, on the blog I cited above, there is a good discussion about them, how they work and the differences between the two. Climbers on the blog have spent time in snow caves and posted what it was like - most everyone is optimistic these guys will be found alive.

Thanks Ca-Sun for that interesting link and letting us know that there are climbers that are optimistic.

They changed their seardh today I think to over on the south side of the mtn by Timberline, thinking they might bge in the woods somewhere. I wonder if it is because that poster contacted S&R to give them info about that conversation. Gee, I hope he did contact them. Was there anything said about that Ca-Sun?

Scandi

Yes, Mr James is on the North side, but what I heard is they had changed their focus on finding the other two men to the South side. I doin't really know why.

Beautiful with the lights just coming on and people starting to leave to go home:

vista.jpg

scandi said:
Thanks Ca-Sun for that interesting link and letting us know that there are climbers that are optimistic.

They changed their seardh today I think to over on the south side of the mtn by Timberline, thinking they might bge in the woods somewhere. I wonder if it is because that poster contacted S&R to give them info about that conversation. Gee, I hope he did contact them. Was there anything said about that Ca-Sun?

Scandi
Scandi, I read that he did contact them and it helped a lot. It was on one of the pages on the blog. Apparently there are some woods at Timberline where people often get lost, thus one of the reasons they are searching that area. The note they left said they would be climbing up the North side and descending the South side, unless someone got hurt, then they would come back the same way they went up - so there is a little confusion as to which way they decided to come back down.

Sun

Forgot to add: The south side isn't considered to be quite as dangerous as the north. It may have seemed like a faster way down to get help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
widaniels
Back