OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Thanks Sweetie, I haven't gone to the site yet but will this evening. ;)

Scandi

Scandi, here's some info as to why they were checking the Timberline area (and the fact that they can actualy get there, as oppsed to the higher elevations):

In the conditions we've had, it would be easy to imagine them falling prey to the same south side disorientation problems we've all seen happen before...following the fall line down the Zig Zag.

Yup. I'm back at T-Line. Just confirmed they're checking the Zig Zag. It's so easy to fall for that fall-line mistake and miss the lodge, especially if you aren't familiar with the area.

The WX down here at 6,000 is 28 degrees, light breeze and no precip.

Posted by barkernews on CascadeClimbers.com

Somewhere I saw a picture of the mountain that was mapped, and marked, with the different routes, and lines, familiar to climbers. Does anyone have this at their fingertips, and if so, please post a link to it. Thanks

Buzzm1 said:
Somewhere I saw a picture of the mountain that was mapped, and marked, with the different routes, and lines, familiar to climbers. Does anyone have this at their fingertips, and if so, please post a link to it. Thanks
Haven't seen that map, Buzz - but this is kinda nice. It is a virtual Mt. Hood climb. Experience the adventure of climbing Mt. Hood by starting at point 1 and following the numbers up the mountain to the summit at 11,240 feet!

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2483/virthood.htm

PARKS Mount Hood National Forest
Technical Climbing

Mt. Hood was once a great volcano known to the Northwest Indians as Wy'east, a mountain god who spouted flame and hurled boulders skyward. The first recorded white men saw the mountain in 1792 and named her Hood, after an admiral of the English Royal Navy. Today Mt. Hood rests at 11,235 feet above sea level. Twelve glaciers and five ridges tempt and challenge climbers from all over the world. There is some debate as to when the summit was first reached: either in 1845 or 1857. The first women made the ascent in skirts in 1867. Since those early days, hundreds of thousands have scaled Oregon's highest peak, and today Mt. Hood is the most frequently climbed glaciated peak in North America.

The routes described are TECHNICAL CLIMBS. There is no hiking trail to the summit. All climbers and backcountry travelers going above the Palmer lift are required to complete a Wildneress Permit at the climbers register at Timberline Lodge and to carry a copy of the permit with them while in the backcountry.

We have listed the minimum of equipment necessary for a safe ascent. But even with the right equipment, you should have some expert instruction under your belt. This is particularly true in avalanche areas, where a course will inform you on proper safety and rescue techniques.

Most climbing injuries and deaths on Mt. Hood result from inexperienced and ill-equipped climbers getting hit by falling rock, ice, or snow; falling down steep slopes or into crevasses; or becoming disoriented due to poor weather conditions. Even the slightest climbing injury can result in tragedy due to the mountain's cold temperatures, high winds, and rapidly changing weather conditions.

Where To Go

Hogsback: The most climbed route. A good one for beginners. Ten to twelve hours round trip.

Mazama: A variation of hogsback. A good second climb. Ten to twelve hours round trip.

Wy'east: An intermediate route for experienced climbers. Twelve to fourteen hours round trip.

Castle Crags: An advanced route for experienced climbers. January through March season. Twelve to fourteen hours round trip.

When To Climb

Time Of Year: Avalanche conditions are a function of seasonal and recent weather trends,terrain, wind direction, sun exposure and snow pack stability. Avalanches are not a seasonal occurrence, but can and do occur at all times of the year. Many climbers go May to mid-July to lessen early avalanche danger and later rockfall hazards.

Time Of Day: Depart at midnight for easy walking on firm snow, sunrise scenery, and less rockfall and avalanche danger.

What To Take

UIAA-approved helmet
Ice axe
Crampons and extra strap
120-foot climbing rope
Pack for extra clothing and food
First aid kit
One quart liquid (minimum)
Mount Hood Locator Unit (MLU), avalable at local climbing shops and at the Mt. Hood Inn (off of Highway 26 in Government Camp)
Topographic map, compass, and the knowledge of how to use them in a white out
Avalanche Beacon (strongly recommended)
Altimeter (recommended)

What To Wear

Climbing boots (plastic shell or waterproof leather, depending on conditions)
Warm, waterproof jacket
Wool or fleece (but never cotton) pants
Wool or fleece sweater
Wool or fleece mittens
Wool or fleece (but never cotton) hat
Wool or fleece (but never cotton) socks (can be used as mittens in emergency)
Dark sunglasses
Sunscreen lotion

What To Do In An Emergency

Check out the Portland Mountain Rescue web site for vital information on rescue and safety.

Search and rescue activities on the South Side of Mt. Hood are conducted through the Clackamas County Sheriff's office. Dial 911 and be prepared to describe the nature of the accident, how many were involved, where on the mountain the accident occurred and where the party members currently are, any known injuries. Send one or two members of your party to the upper terminal of the Magic Mile Chair lift, or to Timberline Lodge for help. The majority of your party should stay with the injured climber keeping them warm and encouraged. DO NOT MOVE THEM unless you are in a life threatening situation. Use standard first aid procedures to stop bleeding.

FROSTBITE: Symptoms are loss of feeling and white, dead-looking skin. Stay warm, move around, and return to the lodge and medical attention as soon as possible. Do not attempt to thaw frostbite on the mountain.

HYPOTHERMIA: The best medicine is prevention. Proper clothing, hydration, and eating is critical to preventing hypothermia. Be aware of how your body feels and if you start to get cold, take actions immediately to stay warm and dry. Also, be aware of how your climbing partners are doing. Any strange behavior or inability to walk a straight line should alert you to a person's deteriorating condition and the need for immediate action. Above all, do NOT eat snow to keep hydrated. It decreases your body's core temperature and requires heat energy to melt the snow.

Symptoms are fits of shivering, slurred speech, memory lapses, drowsiness, lurching walk. Results from lowering of the body's inner temperature. Caused by exposure to cold, wind, wet, and over exertion. Keep the victim dry, warm, and out of the wind, giving them warm fluids unless internally injured. Death can result from hypothermia.

WHITE OUT: Disorientation due to ground level clouds and zero visibility. Trust your compass. Slope of the mountain leads off to the west toward Mississippi Head, not back to the lodge. From the base of Crater Rock, simply following the southern tip of your compass needle will lead you very close to the top of the Palmer chair lift.

AVALANCHE: An avalanche beacon can save a life by dramatically reducing the amount of time needed to look for the victim. Don't go for help! A buried person must be rescued within 30 minutes, so you are their best hope for survival. Mark the place where you last saw the victim and search for them directly downslope. If they is not on the surface, probe the snow with a ski pole or an ice axe.

How To Come Back Alive

Rent a Mount Hood Locator Unit, which is the best way for search and rescue groups to locate lost or injured climbers.
Tell someone at home your destination, route, time due back, and equipment you are taking.
Be in good physical condition.
Climb with an experienced and competent leader.
Carry adequate clothing, food and equipment. KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR EQUIPMENT.
Know your route.
NEVER climb alone. A roped party of three is the minimum for safety.
Be aware of weather conditions; it can be sunny one moment, a white-out the next. Register before climbing and check out upon return.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/or/cli_moun.htm

Hey, Do y'all see the bright lights in the picture that were not there a half an hour ago. Those are search lights I think.

That is so cool to be able to see the search. Do you think this is what it is? Those lights were not there last night!

vista.jpg

See the red vehicles in the turnaround? S & R I think or Fire. The area they have lit up is another big open swath with a lift going up to the higher elevation.

scandi said:
Hey, Do y'all see the bright lights in the picture that were not there a half an hour ago. Those are search lights I think.

That is so cool to be able to see the search. Do you think this is what it is? Those lights were not there last night!
Reminds me of the lights ski areas use for night skiing.

Mount Hood is a mountain that gets little respect despite being spectacular and deadly.

It is the fourth highest in the Cascades -- far lower than 14,000 foot giants Mt. Rainier and Mt. Shasta and over a thousand lower than Mt. Adams.

However, the peak is dearly beloved in Portland where it dominates the skyline. It is heavily glaciated and receives staggering amounts of snowfall every winter. Four live web cams keep an eye on the peak for the armchair hiker.

The south side is the standard climbing route, made easier by a ski lift running from Timberline Lodge up to about 8,500'. The lift runs virtually year-round, but starts too late in the day for climbers wishing for optimal glacier conditions. Snow-cats can be hired for pre-dawn trips up to the top of the lift, or the liftline can be hiked, adding a couple hours to the ascent.

From the top of the lifts, the route easily ascends broad, sloping snowfields to a ridge of snow called the Hogsback. The top part of this ridge is split by a bergschrund, usually the only crevasse on the trip. Once this obstacle is turned, a short but steep stretch of ice or snow (the "Pearly Gates") leads directly to the summit.

http://americasroof.com/or.shtml

I remember that picture well last night and those lights and red vehicles weren't there. I think that's a police car in the parking lot and I see many people just standing and watching, one in a knee length yellow coat over to the left.

If they find those 2 hikers maybe we'll see the rescue. Remember they have those 2 new services that worked this afternoon and maybe they discovered something!~

ALSO, with the conditions of weather coming in and the avalanche risk high, and with the search, I think there would be no night skiing tonight. What 'cha think?

ETA: I am sure those are 2 big red firetrucks there in the circle. Do you see all those people standing just to the left of them on the snow, just watching, and the lights are moving up the hill and bending to the left. That is the way this lift goes. Where that top light is that glows is where it turns to the left.

I really think we might be seeing something here! If it was just night skiing why would the firetrucks be sitting right there, and compare the size of them to the cars in the PL.

scandi said:
I remember that picture well last night and those lights and red vehicles weren't there. I think that's a police car in the parking lot and I see many people just standing and watching, one in a knee length yellow coat over to the left.

If they find those 2 hikers maybe we'll see the rescue. Remember they have those 2 new services that worked this afternoon and maybe they discovered something!~

ALSO, with the conditions of weather coming in and the avalanche risk high, and with the search, I think there would be no night skiing tonight. What 'cha think?
Scandi, what red vehicle, and what knee length yellow coat??

Buzz, see those 4 - 5 trees in the turnaround that are close together? Right to the left of them see the red trucks and the headligthts? The yellow coat is off to the left standing in the snow.

vista.jpg

O'Reilly is having a big argument about going on Mt. Hood in the wintertime.
He loves the outdoors, and has been to Mt Hood.
His theory was if they keep you off ice when it is thin..........why not keep mountaineers off of Mts. in the deep winter.
I am all for, at the minimum, each and every hiker having a responder locator's in their possession.
For their own safety and the safety of people who will have to hike up there to rescue them after bad winter weather rolls around.
I think someone in authority should require this..........for the protection of many lives. They need someone to push for this.......to help everyone involved.
I so want this not to happen again..........or to occur less often.

scandi said:
Buzz, see those 4 - 5 trees in the turnaround that are close together? Right to the left of them see the red trucks and the headligthts? The yellow coat is off to the left standing in the snow.

vista.jpg
Does anyone else see the red trucks and yellow coat that Scandi is talking about. I think she is seeing things again--LOL. Just funning with you Scandi, but I honestly can't distinguish red trucks, or a yellow coat in that picture.

Sundayrain said:
O'Reilly is having a big argument about going on Mt. Hood in the wintertime.
He loves the outdoors, and has been to Mt Hood.
His theory was if they keep you off ice when it is thin..........why not keep mountaineers off of Mts. in the deep winter.
I am all for, at the minimum, each and every hiker having a responder locator's in their possession.
For their own safety and the safety of people who will have to hike up there to rescue them after bad winter weather rolls around.
I think someone in authority should require this..........for the protection of many lives. They need someone to push for this.......to help everyone involved.
I so want this not to happen again..........or to occur less often.
O'Reilly should only play in his own ballpark, and Mt. Hood isn't in his ballpark. Speaking for myself, most of us could care less how O'Reilly feels about this at this time.

scandi said:
Scandi, I see the trees and the lights, but I sure can't identify a red truck and a yellow coat. I saw that the rope tow (didn't know those were still in existence) is open until 9:00 pm, which may account for the lights being on.

In addition to the rope tow, the Mt. Hood Express is also open until 9:00 pm - here is a shot from the top - looks like all the lights are indeed for night skiing.

mhmtop.jpg

CaSun, thanks for that link to the Virtual Tour----visited near Mt. Hood many years ago, some family history in Oregon in the Dalles and other places--great-great grandmother born in 1849 on the Oregon Trail--Mt Hood is quite a beautiful mountain

Think I'm going dingy on ya, huh? :D

Don't you see the red object in that picture to the left of the bldg and trees. The multiple lights in that red area. I haven't seen the lift chairs move forever.

Well Sweetie, I'll just keep a watch on it and promise not to call Chanel 8 News! BaHaaHaa HA Haa :hand:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fitriawastuti
Back