GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

LinasK, do we know what size shoes he wore or his height? There are some UID males in the area and it would be great if we could rule them out.

Here's one for example:

Clothing on body
Ironman brand watch. "Eddie Bauer" athletic shorts - size XXL, logo "Authentic American Style". White socks. FTL brand briefs with no size tag.

Footwear
Converse Team white and blue athletic shoes, size 11-1/2.

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/996

We are wondering about the primary DNA sample too, Kimster. Dental records are good to have as well.

Here is where my disconnect is-the blood spatter. It was cleaned up, IIRC. Does LE know it was his and how? If via DNA then they must have a primary DNA sample on file?

Perhaps they know it is his because of a FRS (family reference sample) which is typically mtDNA.

If people saw Mark at the bar and or at home, someone must have known what he was wearing?

WEre there items missing from the house as well?

I'm wondering about the blood spatter as well, believe.
Where exactly was it located in the residence? I wonder if there were trajectories done at the time? Perhaps the cold case detective has this info.

Did Mark own or rent?

LinasK, do we know what size shoes he wore or his height? There are some UID males in the area and it would be great if we could rule them out.

Here's one for example:

Clothing on body
Ironman brand watch. "Eddie Bauer" athletic shorts - size XXL, logo "Authentic American Style". White socks. FTL brand briefs with no size tag.

Footwear
Converse Team white and blue athletic shoes, size 11-1/2.

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/996
Namus lists his height as 66 inches, weight as 160 lbs. That's all I know, I hadn't seen him in several years... If I find out anything from his father this weekend, I will post it next week...

Finally! An internet connection that works!!! I've tried several times in the last few hours without success. I couldn't wait until I got back to get the thoughts out of my head. Last night I was able to talk briefly to both of Mark's parents directly. Although the wound does bring up fresh pain for his mother, they both want some closure. His father didn't know his shoe size. He hadn't talked to Mark in the days right before he disappeared. He was notified by phone by Mark's employer-United Airlines on July 5th that Mark didn't show up for work. The investigation was flawed from the beginning. At first it wasn't investigated, because they wrongly assumed he was an adult who volitionally went missing, then it was handled by the Port of Portland police, rather than local LE, then the case kept getting handed off to new people who were unfamiliar with the case. Mark's father was notified that November that it was a homicide. Mark's DNA IS on file, as is both his parents, they just can't identify any DNA the perp may have left.
Will post more when I am back at home, that's all I can think of for now, oh yeah, his dad said renewed publicity is what lead to the re-opening of his case!!! His parents are grateful, I asked for their permission to be posting about it.

LinasK, do you know if Mark's significant other had access to a vehicle at the time?
TIA if you know this, and have a great Thanksgiving holiday.
I don't know who his significant other was, I'm not sure Mark's father does either. Mark was a grown man living on his own, but I think his significant other would be the logical place to start, particularly since Mark called off work due to a "personal emergency". Mark's disappearance can be narrowed down to between July2 and July 5. It was on the 2nd he called off, so I'm assuming he was murdered in a fit of rage on the night of the 2nd. It was a holiday (4th of July) weekend.

I don't know who his significant other was, I'm not sure Mark's father does either. Mark was a grown man living on his own, but I think his significant other would be the logical place to start, particularly since Mark called off work due to a "personal emergency". Mark's disappearance can be narrowed down to between July2 and July 5. It was on the 2nd he called off, so I'm assuming he was murdered in a fit of rage on the night of the 2nd. It was a holiday (4th of July) weekend.
I'm so sorry, LinasK. :hug:

Does anyone know if it was actually Mark who called in to work, i.e., someone recognized his voice?

I'm so sorry, LinasK. :hug:

Does anyone know if it was actually Mark who called in to work, i.e., someone recognized his voice?
Someone would have to check with United Airlines, he was a baggage handler. They were the ones who notified Mark's dad that he didn't report in for work on July 5th.

Someone would have to check with United Airlines, he was a baggage handler. They were the ones who notified Mark's dad that he didn't report in for work on July 5th.
Oh. Well, I hope that investigators looked into that (or will).

"Personal emergency" seems like strong enough words that the recipient of the call may have asked for some details. Altho, I guess that depends upon whether it was an answered phone call or a voicemail, management policy, and personal responsiblity on the part of the call-receiver, if any.

Someone taking/hearing a message like that...and then Mark goes missing...surely they would have thought "hmmmm, I better report this". Unless they didn't want to "get involved".

Was Mark's dad listed on employment info as 'person to be notified in case of emergency' sort of thing?

Also, do you know if he had voicemail or an answering machine at home? Is it known where he made the call into work from, and whether or not there were messages left for him at home on the 5th from United Airlines? TIA.

Was Mark's dad listed on employment info as 'person to be notified in case of emergency' sort of thing? I would guess so.

Also, do you know if he had voicemail or an answering machine at home? Is it known where he made the call into work from, and whether or not there were messages left for him at home on the 5th from United Airlines? TIA.
I can't answer these questions because I was out of touch with him for many years. My mom was the one to tell me about Mark disappearing, and that was prior to 2006 when she died. I do have a Namus flyer on Mark that she or my father printed out dated 2002. It states that "Portland PD determined that Mark died from homicidal violence and his vehicle was stolen from his residence. The vehicle was recovered several days later although Mark's body has not been located."
Although I don't have much new to add to this case, and I haven't seen Mark's dad or the cold case detective posting, I do appreciate the continued publicity all of everyone's attention is bringing to this case, and hopefully we can locate Mark for burial and closure and bring his perp. to justice.

Finally! An internet connection that works!!! I've tried several times in the last few hours without success. I couldn't wait until I got back to get the thoughts out of my head. Last night I was able to talk briefly to both of Mark's parents directly. Although the wound does bring up fresh pain for his mother, they both want some closure. His father didn't know his shoe size. He hadn't talked to Mark in the days right before he disappeared. He was notified by phone by Mark's employer-United Airlines on July 5th that Mark didn't show up for work. The investigation was flawed from the beginning. At first it wasn't investigated, because they wrongly assumed he was an adult who volitionally went missing, then it was handled by the Port of Portland police, rather than local LE, then the case kept getting handed off to new people who were unfamiliar with the case. Mark's father was notified that November that it was a homicide. Mark's DNA IS on file, as is both his parents, they just can't identify any DNA the perp may have left.
Will post more when I am back at home, that's all I can think of for now, oh yeah, his dad said renewed publicity is what lead to the re-opening of his case!!! His parents are grateful, I asked for their permission to be posting about it.
I have spoken directly with Kimster about that and she thinks Namus just haven't gotten around to updating his profile.
I have also located a thread on Mark on Project Jason (hoping it's okay if I post the link here): http://www.projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=11878.0

Bumping for Mark.

The Doe Network is the only one to mention a possible motive. "Police suspect the killing resulted from a relationship gone bad." Does this mean they suspect a past girlfriend/ partner? I wish there were more details about that aspect if the case.

RIP Mark

This was my first thought as well. Perhaps the Cousin can give us more info on the dynamics of Mark's life just prior to this happening. Did he own anyone money? Did he have a stressful relationship with a significant other? This seems like a possessive, jealousy killing. "If I can't have you, no one will!" Just a gut instinct. Would be good to know more detail.

This was my first thought as well. Perhaps the Cousin can give us more info on the dynamics of Mark's life just prior to this happening. Did he own anyone money? Did he have a stressful relationship with a significant other? This seems like a possessive, jealousy killing. "If I can't have you, no one will!" Just a gut instinct. Would be good to know more detail.
I would tend to agree with you-I'm his cousin and a member here although I wasn't the one who posted the case. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen Mark in many years when this happened. I live in California, he was living in Oregon- grown man on his own. His father didn't have recent info on him either right before he disappeared. His father is my 1st cousin. My mother was the one who told me about Mark disappearing. I don't think Mark had a lot of money- he had a black SUV and worked as a baggage handler for the airlines.

A member here, who was kind enough to recently start looking into Mark's case directed me to an article which had some specific information I had missed. Mark lived at N.E. 137th Ave in Portland. His SUV was a Black, 2-door 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with Oregon license plates: SL-14414 was found at S.E. 43rd Ave & Division, an area he didn't frequent. Also there is some discrepancy as to when he was last seen. His neighbors last saw him on 7/2 at 2:00 according to the Doe Network, but according to this article, he was last seen on 7/3 at the Eagle Tavern on S.W. 13th Ave. & Burnside St.
Also,in his apartment, there was a massive cleanup of blood spatter all over the walls. This was new to me.

One last thing, before I give the article link, since his father and brother's names are listed in the article, I can now feel comfortable divulging their names. His father's name is Ken (I know him by Kenny), and his brother's name is Terry. Thanks for everyone that's given this case their time and attention. Let's hope it leads to Mark's remains and getting justice by getting his killer.

http://www.kptv.com/story/15952823/cold-case-detectives-re-examine-portland-mans-disappearance

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movalee
Back