OR OR - Samuel Boehlke-Becker, 8, Crater Lake National Park, 14 Oct 2006

5-06 2000-26-4128-428(D). Crater Lake, Ore. Missing child. Samuel Boehlke Cleetwood Cover area. Portland, Ore. 97221. Team: H. Oakes SAR Dog Valorie K-9-1. Results: Drove to Crater Lake, Did search for Sam. Val tracked SARM and located where he was dead. Possible cougar. Also located what appeared to be two strands of human hair in predator feces. Park Ranger given hair for evidence. Family advised.

http://www.k9sardog.com/lostpeople.html

Just thinking of Sammy today and wondering whatever became of this. Were any tests run on the hairs found?

14bdayB.gif

http://www.pimp-my-profile.com/graphics/view/1ia

Was at Crater Lake this past week. What a beautiful place. Made a stop at the parking area Sammy disappeared from. :( Took some pictures if anyone wants to see them.

October 18, 2006
spacer.gif

comment.gif
Comments (0)
print_this.gif
Print
email.gif
Email
subscribe.gif
Subscribe
spacer.gif

CRATER LAKE, Ore. (AP) — A break in the weather gave two helicopters a chance to join the search Tuesday for an 8-year-old Portland boy missing in the snow of Crater Lake National Park, but no clues to his disappearance were found, a spokesman said.

Meanwhile, the missing boy’s mother was to arrive at the park where Sammie Boehlke disappeared Saturday while hiking with his father, said search spokesman Rudy Evenson.

An Oregon Air National Guard helicopter equipped with an infrared sensor took part in the search, as did an observation helicopter that concentrated on the steep slope leading down to the volcanic lake at the crest of the Cascade Range, Evenson said. Neither found anything, and the infrared helicopter had to leave for another assignment.

Searchers still believe the boy could be alive within the search area, despite three nights in subfreezing temperatures at more than 7,000 feet elevation with six to eight inches of wet snow on the ground, Evenson said.

“Right now we are focusing all our efforts on finding a missing 8-year-old in the identified search area,” Evenson said. “It is unusual in this park (for a search to go on so long). Typically search and rescues at Crater Lake National Park end in less time than this.”

The boy and his father, Kenneth Boehlke, had been staying at Diamond Lake and went to Crater Lake for a hike, authorities said. On Saturday afternoon, they parked along Rim Drive near the Cleetwood Cove trailhead and the boy ran uphill into the woods, away from the lake. His father could not find him, and flagged down a passing car. Park staff mounted a search that evening.

The father’s family, the Boehlkes, and the mother’s family, the Beckers, issued a statement: “We know that some of the best search and rescue people in the Northwest and beyond are here around the clock. Those searching, both volunteers and professionals, are enduring rough conditions in the cold and wet snow. We are so thankful for their perseverance and expertise. We continue to hope for a good outcome, and we keep the faith that Sammie will be found.”

The boy was dressed in cargo pants, a blue winter jacket, a long-sleeve green and black striped T-shirt, and red shoes.

http://www.newsreview.info/article/20061018/NEWS/61018002
I'm a native of Oregon, I remember this story and I never believed the dad. It doesn't even make sense.

Did they start the search at Diamond Lake? If not, they should have. Its very possible that the boy disappeared from there.

I don't think the dad harmed his son, he probably really loved him...but at some level he was in a form of denial and did not take the proper precautions...he felt his kid could do what other kids did....perhaps he tried to find him himself as he did not want to admit he had been negligent to even let the kid get away like that in the first place??

Your comments make perfect sense to me. I have worked with autistic students on occasion and have interacted with their parents. The parents are almost always in denial about their child's disabilities. They want to believe their child is just misunderstood and only a little different from other children.

It would be very typical for a mildly autistic boy to run off into the woods in the way the father described. He may have found what he thought was a really good hiding place, like a crevice in a rock, and died there, or he may have simply gotten lost. Sometimes when people realize they're lost, they panic and walk fast or run in a desperate attempt to get to safety quickly. They can cover quite a bit of ground and end up far from the expected search area.

I don't think they were playing hide and go seek and I don't think he kept a pace of 50 ft ahead on a trail. This report states differently. The young boy had slip-on shoes on, red ones. Wouldn't they have been visible? They found no clothing? Where did it go?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-missing-in-oregon-park-for-5-days/

"The boy, described by his family as exhibiting symptoms of autism, ran across the road and climbed a steep and rocky slope, disappearing over the top. His father looked for him, and after a couple hours flagged down a passing car, which relayed a call to 911."

Also, it says that two cars passed by during the two hours dad searched. And both entrances were staffed.

Doubtful. Also, this info was given by Harry Oakes, one I do not personally give any credence to. (My opinion. Not representing WS or anyone else).

Just wanted to also add Sammy's NamUs link - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5862/0/
I contacted mr oakes, I was curious about the hair. When I asked if the hair was positively Samuels, the reply I got was... Thats my understanding.

The boy climbed a steep peak and disappeared over the edge according to dad. How long did it take dad to get to the top of that same peak? I would assume faster than an 8 yr old.

A cougar would have to have grabbed that boy instantly and made his clothes disappear. No one saw blood either that I have read about.

I still believe that Samuel was left somewhere else. Just my very own opinion.

There will be a search for Sammy at Crater Lake this weekend. Search And Rescue units from all over Oregon will be participating. Sammy's mom will also be there.

There will be a search for Sammy at Crater Lake this weekend. Search And Rescue units from all over Oregon will be participating. Sammy's mom will also be there.
They must have a lead then correct? For SAR to step back in after all these years. I hope he is located.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk

I contacted mr oakes, I was curious about the hair. When I asked if the hair was positively Samuels, the reply I got was... Thats my understanding.

The boy climbed a steep peak and disappeared over the edge according to dad. How long did it take dad to get to the top of that same peak? I would assume faster than an 8 yr old.

A cougar would have to have grabbed that boy instantly and made his clothes disappear. No one saw blood either that I have read about.

I still believe that Samuel was left somewhere else. Just my very own opinion.

Yeah, my gut instincts about this case and having visited Crater Lake 3x in my life, have always thought it wasn't a case of an autistic boy wandering off. That's just his father's excuse...

Yeah, my gut instincts about this case and having visited Crater Lake 3x in my life, have always thought it wasn't a case of an autistic boy wandering off. That's just his father's excuse...
Especially in just that amount of distance. And no clothing found.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missletoes
Back