PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

Police and psychics step-up efforts to find who took Cherrie Mahan 38 years ago​

Mary Ann Thomas
MARY ANN THOMAS | Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2023 6:01 a.m.
View attachment 404673

Law enforcement and Butler’s psychic sisters are frustrated by a 38-year search for a suspect in the abduction of Cherrie Mahan from a rural bus stop in Winfield Township.
But they are trying harder and upping their efforts to find answers around the anniversary of the 8-year-old’s disappearance Feb. 22, 1985. Although Mahan was legally declared dead in 1998, police and family still hold out hope.
Mahan’s case is open.
State police welcomed two investigators from Team Adam of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children to the Butler station last week. They are reviewing some of the files of the case, a voluminous dive into 5,000 typewritten reports, plus notes, attachments, photos and more, said Trooper Max DeLuca, who has been leading the investigation.
“I hope someone comes through with some good firsthand knowledge,” DeLuca said. “Someone has to know something.”
He said he doesn’t want to speculate whether Mahan’s disappearance was caused by someone who knew her.
“It’s a unique case in the fact that it happened in an area that is so rural,” he said.
Police can only hope to receive more viable, solid tips from someone with direct knowledge.
“Hopefully, over time, it has started to eat away at them or someone they confided in,” DeLuca said.
The Vincent sisters, psychics from Butler County, will walk and pray with Mahan’s mother, Janice McKinney, to memorialize Cherrie and observe her disappearance at 4:05 p.m. today at McKinney’s former home along Cornplanter Road in Winfield.
A Winfield Elementary School bus dropped off Cherrie and some other students about 500 feet from her driveway along Cornplanter Road 38 years ago. A blue van with a mountain and skier on the side was parked near her driveway, according to eyewitness reports.
Cherrie’s disappearance became national news. The young, doe-eyed girl with an impish grin became the first person featured on the famous “Have you seen me?” circulars produced by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
McKinney believes someone is alive who can tell the story about what happened to Cherrie.
“I just pray all the time that they would find it in their heart to just tell somebody,” she said. “I truly believe there are people out there who know what happened to Cherrie. Either they are afraid, or … I don’t know.”
Police looking for knowledgeable tips
Although police continue to run down every tip received, they need something more solid, DeLuca said.
Tips come in locally, as well as through Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers, which offers a $5,000 reward.
Police are looking for more than “someone gives me the creeps” tips, DeLuca said.
While there have been rumors and focus on Cherrie’s family and acquaintances, DeLuca doesn’t want to rule anyone out.
“Over time and all of the stuff we looked into, including family members, the case is open and no one is clear beyond a reasonable doubt until this thing is solved,” DeLuca said.
There are limitations in following up on the decades-old abduction. There were no license plate readers or home surveillance cameras at the time.
Without photos, for example, police followed up on hundreds of vans with illustrations of mountain scenes, skiers and even some cowboys.
“There is no evidence received that puts her in the van,” DeLuca said.
Team Adam investigators are Shawn Kofluk, a retired state police corporal, and Tom Maurer, a retired sheriff from Wayne County, Ohio.
“Maybe they will pick up something myself or my predecessors didn’t,” DeLuca said.
The team has access to technological resources the state police don’t have, Kofluk said. In addition, Kofluk said, he and Maurer are “starting at square one with the old police report, evidence and crime scene information.”
Maurer added that he appreciates the media keeping the story alive for the families and communities, as well as helping with the investigation.
The goal is to find Mahan.
“We don’t give up hope,” Kofluk said. “We are always looking, and that person is never forgotten. That is why we keep pushing.”
Strong but broken-hearted mother
When McKinney, 62, wants to think about her lost child, all she has to do is look at the tattoo she got last year on her left hand. The purple ink is stenciled from a note in Cherie’s handwriting when she was 6 that says “I love you, Cherrie.”
McKinney of Jefferson Township is the director of the housekeeping department at Washington Place in Richland Township.
“I worked 40 years in a nursing home. Death and dying is something I know about,” she said. “But not knowing where she is, whether she’s dead or alive, it’s like a never-ending story. It sucks the life out of me.”
McKinney has made statements over the years about possible suspects, including an acquaintance of Cherrie’s biological father, who McKinney said raped her when she was 15 and has never been identified publicly.
McKinney said Cherrie’s father still lives in Butler County and was local to where she grew up in Clinton Township.
“The person who I said was her father never wanted to admit to it,” she said.
McKinney said the father knew a biker gang she felt was dangerous, but she doesn’t know if they were violent. A pedophile still is a possibility, McKinney said.
“People didn’t talk about it then. It’s not like the sex offenders we know today through Megan’s Law,” she said.
“I don’t think that I ever knew somebody or anybody who knew me had that streak in them to do something this crazy,” McKinney said.
Thanks for posting ChaddyLex!

My biggest takeaways from the article:
1. Opening up the investigation to some new detectives. You just never know if something was missed in the original case files. Many cold cases have been solved due to new people looking it over.
2. The father's affiliation with the biker gang has been rumored in the past, but finally confirmed. Wonder who the acquaintance Janice is referring to?

I know a lot of people don't believe this will be solved. But I'm glad there are still people out there trying to figure out the truth. That's at least encouraging!

Thanks for posting ChaddyLex!

My biggest takeaways from the article:
1. Opening up the investigation to some new detectives. You just never know if something was missed in the original case files. Many cold cases have been solved due to new people looking it over.
2. The father's affiliation with the biker gang has been rumored in the past, but finally confirmed. Wonder who the acquaintance Janice is referring to?

I know a lot of people don't believe this will be solved. But I'm glad there are still people out there trying to figure out the truth. That's at least encouraging!
You are quite welcome!

I am hoping these new detectives are able to maybe see something the others have missed or maybe after all these years they will get a new lead that is actually credible.

I am wondering why Cherrie's biological father has not been named publicly? And I think this is the first I remember hearing about the father being affiliated with a biker gang. That would be a good avenue for them to look into.

And now they are wondering if the skier van was even involved in her disappearance. As a child, and seeing her disappearance on our news, the Van is what always stuck with me. (A guy a few blocks away from me had a van that looked like the one they thought was involved) - It would be a shame if it the van doesn't have anything to do with her disappearance because the police could have been focused on other people in her investigation for all these years and it maybe could have been solved.

Your post caught my eye today, on the anniversary of Cherrie’s disappearance. All I could find was this from 2014:

This week, a volunteer group's search dogs and the trooper combed a site off Winfield Road.

The dogs didn't find anything related to the Mahan case, but Birckbichler saw an earthen mound that didn't fit with the surrounding terrain.

“It looked unusual,” he said.

On Thursday, six Mercyhurst College forensic anthropologists and graduate students arrived to check the mound, just to make sure.

There was nothing there,” the trooper said.

What I've always found interesting is that searchers focus on an "unusual mound", but seem not be concerned that the mound might be a pile of dirt that was dug from another location. If you dig a hole and place something in the hole, that 'something' takes up space and IF you return all of the dirt to that hole you end up with a (depending on the size of the 'something') mound. But, what if not all of the dirt was returned to the hole? What if excess dirt was placed elsewhere so as not to create a mound over the hole location? The 'mound', if discovered and excavated, would reveal nothing beneath.

It isn't likely a perp would transport extra dirt significant distances from a hole site, and it is possible that extra dirt woudln't necessarily end up in one pile. Why not disperse extra dirt at varying distances from the hole so as not to create a mound?

IMO, a mound should not be considered the end-all main focal point a particular dig search. A perimeter, perhaps 100 feet radius distance around the mound site should be considered.

Good point. I wonder if they used GPR at the same site so they didnt have to dig up the entire property? I'm also still curious where off Winfield Rd that they dug? You would think this would of been news locally or at least had people talking.

I just read an article on Cherrie in our local paper about a month ago and it was on the local news.. (Pittsburgh channels). It's been 25 years since she went missing! Where in the heck is she??

Pittsburgh girl, I am Southeast from Cabot I live in Westmoreland County, south of Greensburg. I kept telling my mom that the guy that lived a street up had a skier van.. (which she knew) but I kept telling my mom that that man could have taken her... I think she thought I was crazy...heck I was 9 yrs old. The guy that owned the van was a grandfather of a girl I was in Girl Scouts with. Not sure if he still lives there or not, I should ask my parents. I am not even sure of the last name anymore. I doubt my parents would know either.

I am going to call my mom at work and ask her... will upda

Last edited:
@nhoj379 Please do it! Call your mom, gather some info, then call the police.

“The FBI deduced that the abductor was someone who knew Cherrie and her movements.”

This case needs resolution. Cherrie deserves justice.

Anyone with information about Mahan's disappearance is asked to contact the Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Missing Persons Unit at (717) 783-5524.

@nhoj379 Please do it! Call your mom, gather some info, then call the police.

“The FBI deduced that the abductor was someone who knew Cherrie and her movements.”

This case needs resolution. Cherrie deserves justice.

Anyone with information about Mahan's disappearance is asked to contact the Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Missing Persons Unit at (717) 783-5524.
The quote that nhoj379 quoted above was mine from years ago. I did find out the name of the guy who drove the skiier van was, my mom didn't remember any of that but I did get his last name and he has been dead since 2004. I did talk to someone at NamUs years ago and I have also sent info to the state police but never heard a word. He was the dad of my girl scout leader and grandfather to my friend in girl scouts.

Cherrie's case is the whole reason why I got involved with the missing and unidentified. I hope one day we finally find out what happened to her. Someone knows something, I am just afraid the people who were responsible are probably dead now. Cherrie was 8 years old when she went missing, today she would be getting ready to turn 47 on August 14th. (she is a year younger than myself)

The quote that nhoj379 quoted above was mine from years ago. I did find out the name of the guy who drove the skiier van was, my mom didn't remember any of that but I did get his last name and he has been dead since 2004. I did talk to someone at NamUs years ago and I have also sent info to the state police but never heard a word. He was the dad of my girl scout leader and grandfather to my friend in girl scouts.

Cherrie's case is the whole reason why I got involved with the missing and unidentified. I hope one day we finally find out what happened to her. Someone knows something, I am just afraid the people who were responsible are probably dead now. Cherrie was 8 years old when she went missing, today she would be getting ready to turn 47 on August 14th. (she is a year younger than myself)
Thanks. Cherrie and I share a birthday. Local case for me, so before the case went cold, each year on our mutual birthday I’d hear about her again. Still think of her, and wish it would be solved. You are right, perp is likely deceased, so no justice to be had, but maybe closure.

Another cold case that haunts me, ever since I learned about it earlier this year, is that of Amy Renee Mihaljevic (December 11, 1978 – October 27, 1989), a ten-year-old American elementary school student who was kidnapped and murdered in the U.S. state of Ohio in 1989.

Bay Village OH and Butler PA are about 140 miles apart. Cherrie was 8, disappeared in 1985. Amy was age 10, murdered in 1989.

I don't see "likely dead" at all. It hasn't even been 40 years.
I hope you're right. I hope one day the person responsible for her disappearance is alive and pays for what they have done to Cherrie.

We just had a case in Westmoreland county identify a killer from a cold case from 2007. He confessed to a friend years ago that he killed Samantha Lang - and that person finally talked to police. I am hoping one day that someone opens their mouths and calls police about Cherrie's disappearance.

I actually believe the opposite of the FBI in this instance.

I don't believe this was a local pedophile or the bio dad. Don’t believe they really knew Cherrie either. This was more of a "crime of opportunity". If you were the biological father or a local pedo, why would you use such a descriptive van to abduct if this was planned and thought out prior? I think the abductor was someone who was familiar with the area and was waiting for the right opportunity. Picked a random bus that day and decided to follow it. Cherrie was the one child that was on her own after her bus stop. She rounded that blind corner and it happened.

So who wants to say the bio dad’s name?? Or allegedly the bio dad? How about a last name? This is the part I can’t get past! If even a shred of me thought this man were responsible for abducting my child I’d be screaming the name by now! If he is involved tips could come in. Maybe people seen and heard *advertiser censored* that didn’t make sense but because they aren’t aware of his name they never realized the link.

So who wants to say the bio dad’s name?? Or allegedly the bio dad? How about a last name? This is the part I can’t get past! If even a shred of me thought this man were responsible for abducting my child I’d be screaming the name by now! If he is involved tips could come in. Maybe people seen and heard *advertiser censored* that didn’t make sense but because they aren’t aware of his name they never realized the link.
I desperately wish we knew as well.

Janice McKinney feels like she has nothing to lose in her search to find out what happened to her daughter. She shared with us that Cherrie was the result of rape when Janice was 16.

"I never left that house without her, we were always together, we grew up together, she was my life," Janice says.

She told John Shumway no one believed her claim of rape, and to this day she feels Cherrie's biological father knows something about who took Cherrie.

"Not him personally, but the people that he knows, yes," she says.

John Shumway went back to the state police today about Cherrie's biological father.

They say he's a person of interest.

I am not sure why they aren't making the name public. I would love to know also! (maybe they are not making his name public for the simple fact if he is innocent, they don't want to sling his name thru the mud, or Janice is afraid of some type of retaliation, that is just a guess) I know if one of my children would have been missing I wouldn't keep my mouth shut at all.

My gut tells me it was painted like this for the hijacking and quickly destroyed or repainted immediately afterwards... It sounds like snow on the ground and colder weather, so maybe the hijacker wanted to make the van look fun and friendly to child.

Or the kidnappers were trying to create a false lead where the public and law enforcement are chasing a lead that everyone assumes is an easy lead to track and will be the reason to solve the case. Without realizing it, the truck possibly only looked like this for just 24 hours before being repainted.

There wasn't much explanation about the biological father, but it definitely sounds interesting. But surely he and his loved ones were under surveillance and visited, so it would be difficult for him to start a new life. But the way the post says that “the people who know the biological father” are connected it sounds like the father has shady enemies looking to settle scores.... Or my other thought was possibly my father being involved in a “cult/ commune” that could have helped him kidnap. But either way, the father's information should have been more information. Did Cherrie also know his father and, if so, how well? Would she have felt comfortable enough to get in the van with him?
either way
rest in peace

My gut tells me it was painted like this for the hijacking and quickly destroyed or repainted immediately afterwards... It sounds like snow on the ground and colder weather, so maybe the hijacker wanted to make the van look fun and friendly to child.

Or the kidnappers were trying to create a false lead where the public and law enforcement are chasing a lead that everyone assumes is an easy lead to track and will be the reason to solve the case. Without realizing it, the truck possibly only looked like this for just 24 hours before being repainted.

There wasn't much explanation about the biological father, but it definitely sounds interesting. But surely he and his loved ones were under surveillance and visited, so it would be difficult for him to start a new life. But the way the post says that “the people who know the biological father” are connected it sounds like the father has shady enemies looking to settle scores.... Or my other thought was possibly my father being involved in a “cult/ commune” that could have helped him kidnap. But either way, the father's information should have been more information. Did Cherrie also know his father and, if so, how well? Would she have felt comfortable enough to get in the van with him?
either way
rest in peace
No she didn’t know her bio dad. Her step dad Leory raised her as his own. Janice claims her pregnancy was a result of being raped by bio dad. Bio dad has denied the rape accusation and denied he is Cherrie’s father. Prior to Cherrie’s disappearance, she was at a party that the bio dad was also at due to mutual friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back