PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

Yes. I was just wondering if any locals remembered where this was? They had to have a reason to check that property. Was there a known pedophile in the community?
Yes two brothers. I believe they both became registered sex offenders but weren’t at the time. They own hundreds of acres on tower road. Janice’s mother lived next to them. I do believe one of the brothers are dead now. Also one of them supposedly had a blue car which was also seen at the time of her abduction.

Yes two brothers. I believe they both became registered sex offenders but weren’t at the time. They own hundreds of acres on tower road. Janice’s mother lived next to them. I do believe one of the brothers are dead now. Also one of them supposedly had a blue car which was also seen at the time of her abduction.
I could be wrong but I live pretty local (and am also familiar with the rumors of the brothers you are talking about), but if they searched off of/near Winfield road I don't think it would have been the tower road location you are talking about. I am familiar with the rumors of the brothers who live(d) off tower road, and also heard that is directly near where Cherries grandma lives, but I don't think that would have been the same location that was searched.

Winfield road may have been kind of close it (depending where in winfield road), but it stretches across 356 and intersects Cornplanter (where the abduction occurred). So I'm guessing the area that was searched off Winfield road was much closer to where the abduction occurred than was the Tower Road location (on the other side of 356)

Not trying to get caught in semantics but I don't think the Winfield road location that would have been searched was the location of where the brothers on tower road was. Tower road connects 228 with Dinnerbell Road on the other side of Saxonburg.

I don't believe the brothers/family property was ever searched but could be wrong.

Although perhaps the brothers had some other link to the Winfield property that was searched? Who knows

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I live pretty local (and am also familiar with the rumors of the brothers you are talking about), but if they searched off of/near Winfield road I don't think it would have been the tower road location you are talking about. I am familiar with the rumors of the brothers who live(d) off tower road, and also heard that is directly near where Cherries grandma lives, but I don't think that would have been the same location that was searched.

Winfield road may have been kind of close it (depending where in winfield road), but it stretches across 356 and intersects Cornplanter (where the abduction occurred). So I'm guessing the area that was searched off Winfield road was much closer to where the abduction occurred than was the Tower Road location (on the other side of 356)

Not trying to get caught in semantics but I don't think the Winfield road location that would have been searched was the location of where the brothers on tower road was. Tower road connects 228 with Dinnerbell Road on the other side of Saxonburg.

I don't believe the brothers/family property was ever searched but could be wrong.

Although perhaps the brothers had some other link to the Winfield property that was searched? Who knows
Yeah I believe ur correct. A friend just told me their property was never searched. I thought they owned multiple properties in that area but I guess they own one huge property a couple hundred acres. I do wonder whose property was searched. And who owned the hunting cabin in the late 1980s that was searched a few years back.

All, I am new here first post. I live near the area, have some friends that are even closer to that area. I was about 6 years old when this happened and remember hearing about it at the time and occasionally the news story here or there but never any resolution. Honestly I am only here for this case and nothing else I just want to state that up front.

You never hear about it anymore but the other day I started to think about whatever happened to her and started digging. I don't even know why but the last few days something is pulling me in this direction to find more and more and try to help in anyway I possibly can. It really is troubling something like this can happen, and so close to where I live about 20 minutes away, and seemingly most people (including myself for the longest time) just forget about it. But I'm not forgetting about it anymore. I'm not sure what I can do, I'm just a database analyst with a free thinking mind. But I want to help.

I don't want to derail the thread by stating this - but I truly believe there is occult activity in that area, and I wonder if Cherrie was a target. Just things I've noticed, the type of things some of the people from that area post on facebook and things like that. Families where every single family member is posting flashing devil horns, and the father posted some sort of symbol as his profile pic. Ok maybe they just like rock music... But when I hear rumors AND actually see it in front of me, I can't shake that or ignore it. Creepy stuff.

Some of these people are proud to be called "Cabot crazies" and all they talk about is partying, etc. There is a facebook group called that. A bunch of degenerates. Every single post is about "my first beer, my first girl, my first party in Cabot". I like to have a good time myself, but there is more to life than indulging in alcohol and drugs and partying and what not. People into occult are all about pleasing themselves like this. They also seem very defensive, the post says "if you ain't from Cabot get the out". It's like a strange little sub community of degenerates that don't want outsiders knowing what they are up to. Someone posted about "crazy St. Joe's party every year". One of them was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 based off of the post of the dude that had the weird symbol as his profile pic. Just don't think that is a coincidence I'm sorry.

A friend of mine was from closer to there (same school district) and told me that as kids/teens they would dare each to actually go out that way. Rumors of satanic/occult activity, etc. Friends dad went hunting in those areas and my friend did not detail much but said it was just "weird" and "odd". Friend also stated that rumor at that time (friend is 8 years older than me so would have been like 14 or so at that time) pointed to the biological father. Maybe it's worth looking into his past I don't know. I should ask my friend (and I have a few others that could provide input as well) more about some of their classmates from that area, what they were like in school, etc. I have other friends from the "Butler" side of it (Clearfield/Herman area) that I went to school with that I could ask them about people from there as well as they are about 5 minutes from there.

There is something unsettling for sure. I read a 50 page police document (FBI and police from multiple states contributed) from the early 90s talking about the rise of occult and it's growth being a major problem for law enforcement. Cherrie's disappearance coincides within a few weeks of an"occult" holiday involving young kids. Am I allowed to post a link to the PDF I read?

Pages 8 and 9 seemed frightening to me, talked about either a staged or real human sacrifice and how they would "initiate" new members into it. I wonder if the people Gameman referred to (that the one husband and wife are adamant did it) fit into all of this. My gut points to them but likely people "above" them as well. Was there any relationship with these individuals and the bio father?

I don't know, it's gut feeling based off of observation and reading. I hope that is not what happened, but I can't shake this feeling that something like that is what happened to her.

Maybe my mind is barking up the wrong tree, I don't know. Some weird country folk possibly being devil worshippers is not evidence. I get that. But it's a gut feeling I can't shake it.

I feel like there has to be some shred of evidence somewhere in that area that has been overlooked. I am going to see if I can go to the library and view any old newspaper articles on it, hopefully there are still articles on microfilm there. Looking for any type of thing that may not have seemed important unless you are looking at it from a different perspective. I feel like so much was put into finding the van and what not but it's just a red herring. Things closer to home need to be looked at IMO. Not sure when I can go to the library but I want to soon probably this Saturday I have time.

Sorry for a long first post, and sorry if I come across as a crazy nutjob talking about the occult and possible ties to that area - but I thought it was worth posting here none the less. I am willing to help you guys in anyway. Want me to take a drive out there - will do. Need to show someone around that area how to get there - will do.
Newspaper.com is good for old articles. Not sure if u are still looking into this.

Waiting for an update on identification of these remains that were found.

A hunter in the Pennsylvania woods found human remains on Tuesday, the Pennsylvania State Police said in a press release.

The remains have not been identified. The recent findings included a skull, over 20 bones and clothing but not the entire skeleton, per KDKA. The remains were found in a wooded area off Route 422 near Ambrosia Road in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania.

In addition to the remains not being identified, authorities say neither the gender nor age of the person has been determined. They speculate that the remains have been in the woods for at least a few years, reports KDKA.

Lawrence County is right next to Butler. Ambrosia Rd is about an hour’s drive from Cherrie‘s home.

A hunter in the Pennsylvania woods found human remains on Tuesday, the Pennsylvania State Police said in a press release.

The remains have not been identified. The recent findings included a skull, over 20 bones and clothing but not the entire skeleton, per KDKA. The remains were found in a wooded area off Route 422 near Ambrosia Road in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania.

In addition to the remains not being identified, authorities say neither the gender nor age of the person has been determined. They speculate that the remains have been in the woods for at least a few years, reports KDKA.

Lawrence County is right next to Butler. Ambrosia Rd is about an hour’s drive from Cherrie‘s home.
Is there a thread in UID for this?

If so, I don’t know where to look. It is too late for me to delete my post - if it’s in the wrong place, apologies - please feel free to report it to remove and place correctly.
I think it's fine, I started a thread in UID for it.

Was there ever a hard search done for this van? I know it's a POSSIBILITY that it was involved, but the mountain ski scene on the side seems so identifiable. Could it be a ski resort van? There are a few resorts in PA...not sure of the ones from the 80s..especially in the Poconos.

Was there ever a hard search done for this van? I know it's a POSSIBILITY that it was involved, but the mountain ski scene on the side seems so identifiable. Could it be a ski resort van? There are a few resorts in PA...not sure of the ones from the 80s..especially in the Poconos.
Murals on vans were extremely common back then, a carryover from the late 1970s van craze. If there was no company logo on the van, and just a ski scene, the odds are it was a privately owned van, IMO.

I wonder about this too. Someone painted the van with the custom mural. Did they attempt to talk to local auto detailer / artistic painters?

Oddly, a Google search turned up a photo of a Riviera brochure with a ski mural on a van. Long shot, but someone might recognize the work, and perhaps know of other artists who painted vans with similar murals in that era.

IMG_2238.jpeg
IMG_2239.jpeg

Voices For Justice Podcast released an episode last week about Cherrie's disappearance.

Sarah Turney|1/4/2024
On Friday, February 22, 1985, in Winfield Township, Pennsylvania, 8-year-old Cherrie Mahan looked forward to attending her friend Jennifer’s 10th birthday party after school. The final bell rang for her third-grade class, and Cherrie headed to her school bus to get home and get ready for the party. At about 4:10 pm, Cherrie and three of her classmates get off the bus at their regular stop on Cornplanter Road, just around the corner from Cherrie’s home. All her friends make it home, but not Cherrie.

Cherrie’s disappearance sparked the creation of the ‘Have you seen me?’ program from The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. But despite this groundbreaking program that has brought thousands of children home, Cherrie remains missing. Investigators are left with a lot of sightings of Cherrie over the years and one very distinct van that they are still trying to track down nearly 40 years later.

Cherrie was last wearing Cabbage Patch Kids earmuffs, a gray coat, a white leotard, a blue denim skirt, blue leg warmers, and beige boots. Her ears are pierced, and she has a dog bite scar on her left arm. At the time of her disappearance, she was 4’2” tall and weighed about 68 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes. As of
the recording of this episode, she would be in her late 40s.

If you have any information on the circumstances surrounding Cherrie’s disappearance, please call the Pennsylvania State Police Missing Persons Unit at 717-783-5524 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-4PA-TIPS.

This is the first I saw or heard about these remains being found. I hope we hear an update soon!

Today marks 39 years since Cherrie disappeared! I hope and pray one day her mother will have answers.

Cherrie Mahan of Winfield Township missing for 39 years​

1708603685193.png

Cherrie Mahan disappeared from her bus stop in Winfield Township on Feb. 22, 1985, and despite time, family and law enforcement have not forgotten the missing wide-eyed girl.
Cherrie’s mother, Janice McKinney, said the 39th anniversary of her 8-year-old daughter’s disappearance has become harder to bear. Nonetheless, she will continue standing at the bottom of her old driveway on Cornplanter Road until she knows the truth.

“I’m paying tribute to her so it brings her life and what happened to her into the public one more time. And I’ll do it every year until she comes home or I’m on the other side of the grass,” McKinney said.

Some of McKinney’s friends will join her at the bottom of the driveway at 4 p.m. Thursday, and she knows many more who can’t attend are there in spirit.

McKinney recalled Feb. 22, 1985, as a Friday with pleasant weather; the snow was starting to melt.

She had the day off, and remembered talking to Cherrie as she walked with her down the steep driveway to catch the bus that morning. Cherrie was a third-grade student at the former Winfield Elementary School in the South Butler County School District, now the Knoch School District.

“I took her down to put her on the bus, and she gave me orders of what she wanted,” she said.

McKinney elaborated that Cherrie was a talkative girl, and told her mother she planned to come home after school, eat dinner and go to a friend’s house.
The rest of the story is well known to community members and investigators.
According to Max DeLuca, the detective with state police’s criminal investigation unit who handles Cherrie’s case, the school bus arrived back on Cornplanter Road just after 4 p.m.
“Cherrie exited her school bus with three other children,” he said. “The stop was approximately 100 yards from her residence.”
After she got off the bus, Cherrie was never seen again. According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, she was last seen wearing a gray coat, blue denim skirt, blue leg warmers and beige boots.

McKinney said she and her husband Leroy, Cherrie’s stepfather, both recalled hearing the school bus from their residence up the hill.
“When I heard the bus and she didn’t come up, I knew something was up,” she said.
McKinney said her family moved to Cornplanter Road from Saxonburg, where Cherrie grew up. Shortly after the move, she said her daughter kept saying someone was looking in at her from outside the window.
This resulted in her daughter requesting to move bedrooms, according to McKinney.
“When we moved, I should have known something was wrong … Was there somebody? I don’t know,” she said.

Witnesses reported seeing a blue or green van traveling behind Cherrie’s school bus as well as a blue-colored sedan in the area. The vehicle operators have not been identified or located, according to DeLuca.
A drawing of the van described by witnesses — depicting a skier and slope along the side — was constructed to aid the investigation. DeLuca said it would have been especially useful when Cherrie first went missing, as the vehicle was likely still being driven.
An active case
Cherrie’s case is considered “active, not cold,” as tips continue to come in, especially around the date of Cherrie’s disappearance.
“Unlike most of the other unsolved cases in Butler County, this case receives tips,” DeLuca said.
Hundreds of people have been interviewed in connection to the case, those with and without criminal records, according to DeLuca. The file is stored in multiple filing cabinets with just under 4,000 pages of typed or handwritten reports. The additional tips, evidence, pictures and other documents take up more space.

“Tips on the Mahan case constantly come into the barracks,” DeLuca said. “The tips have been sent through Crime Stoppers, phone calls, letters, emails, through National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Some tips people want to speak with a detective, and some are anonymous. The tips come from all over the U.S., and some will come from as far away as Europe.”
DeLuca said Cherrie’s case has passed through several investigators hands, and it remains one state police want to see solved.
“Detectives want to solve all of their unsolved cases, but cases (with) child victims can weigh more on an investigator. Especially cases where the child has not been located,” he said. “The amount of time that has elapsed since Cherrie’s disappearance makes this case difficult to solve.”
He added that as time goes on, people with knowledge of the incident may die or too old to cooperate with law enforcement.
Other efforts to find Cherrie included her face being the first to appear on the “Have you seen me?” ads produced by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Cherrie was legally declared dead in November 1998 by County Common Pleas Court Judge Thomas Doerr, according to a Butler Eagle article.
Doerr fixed the missing girl’s date of death as Feb. 22, 1992, as individuals must be missing for seven years to be declared dead.
The declaration allowed McKinney to donate $58,000 to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Cherrie’s name. The money was initially collected as a reward for anyone with information that would help find Cherrie.
Anniversary tradition
February will always be difficult for McKinney, as the month marks Cherrie’s disappearance and the death of her husband six years ago.
Despite the difficulty of remembering, it does not stop her from standing at the bottom of the driveway every year.

“I’m going to be there no matter what. I want everyone to remember. I’m never going to forget,” she said. “I tell everybody: I will be standing in that driveway until the day I die, until I know what happened. I hope everybody and their brother comes past me.”
McKinney said she wants to know what happened to Cherrie that day, and she wants someone to tell her.
“I want them to look me in my eyes and know what I’ve been through,” she said. “I just want closure; I want to know what happened, where she is, so I can put this to rest.”
Tips about Cherrie Mahan’s case can be submitted to the Butler state police barracks by calling 724-284-8100, through the website for National Missing and Exploited Children at missingkids.org, through Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-4PA-TIPS (8477), or on the website, p3tips.com.

Chief Investigator Rick Earle has covered the case for 30 years now, even traveling to Michigan to track down a lead.

Earle recently spoke with Cherrie’s mother and investigators.

Even after all these years, Janice McKinney is still optimistic that one day she’ll find out what happened to her only daughter.

McKinney, who also has a son, hasn’t given up hope.

“Every time I come back here, I hope somebody sees me and then somebody makes a phone call and just, you know, cleanses their heart to say, ‘Yep, I did this,’ or, ‘I know what happened to her,’” McKinney said.

“To me, it’s a lifetime you know, three-fourths of my life, I have been searching for Cherrie, so you know February comes and it’s a cold one, but it just puts a chill to my heart because you know, she’ll be gone 39 years. And I just pray all the time. I just wish I knew where she was,” said McKinney.

A couple details worth discussing.

1. Cherrie claimed someone was watching her through her window and switched her bedrooms when they moved to Cornplanter Rd. A lot of kids have vivid imaginations. But I thought this was definitely worth mentioning. That would lean to the theory of a local pedo. Apparently she lived with her grandma before Cornplanter Rd. So maybe that became obsessed with her. at her previous address Someone that was not happy about her moving.

2. Janice and her husband chased down the bus that day and made sure she got off. This was never mentioned before I don't believe.

3. Janice doesn't believe the van was involved. Thinks it was the other car that was seen at the bus stop (blue car). Still begs the question, why would a van with a skier emblem be traveling down Cornplanter Rd? It's not a road you just travel down without a purpose.

I wish more details were released to the public like this. Why did it take 39 years for these details to come out? It's like every year, they release another small detail. This case continues to get more frustrating. Just release the details and get people talking.

A couple details worth discussing.

1. Cherrie claimed someone was watching her through her window and switched her bedrooms when they moved to Cornplanter Rd. A lot of kids have vivid imaginations. But I thought this was definitely worth mentioning. That would lean to the theory of a local pedo. Apparently she lived with her grandma before Cornplanter Rd. So maybe that became obsessed with her. at her previous address Someone that was not happy about her moving.

2. Janice and her husband chased down the bus that day and made sure she got off. This was never mentioned before I don't believe.

3. Janice doesn't believe the van was involved. Thinks it was the other car that was seen at the bus stop (blue car). Still begs the question, why would a van with a skier emblem be traveling down Cornplanter Rd? It's not a road you just travel down without a purpose.

I wish more details were released to the public like this. Why did it take 39 years for these details to come out? It's like every year, they release another small detail. This case continues to get more frustrating. Just release the details and get people talking.
Didn’t her neighbor have a similar van? I believe she did because I’ve read about how everywhere she went people would call in a tip about her van.

Didn’t her neighbor have a similar van? I believe she did because I’ve read about how everywhere she went people would call in a tip about her van.
Yes. She lived in Sarver. There's a newspaper article out there that stated that particular van was in Brackenridge on Feb 22 1985 at her brother's work during the time Cherrie went missing.

"Dear Lord, I pray that you definitely just let me know and I know that you will," Janice McKinney said in a prayer.

McKinney is a mother praying for answers on the very road her daughter was last seen 39 years ago.

"This is the day Cherrie got off the bus and was never seen again and we come here and I pray," said McKinney.

It was 4:05 p.m. on Feb. 22, 1985, on Cornplanter Road in Winfield Township. The school bus dropped Mahan off at the bottom of the hill near her home. McKinney and her husband, Leroy, were inside waiting for Cherrie to run up the hill, excited to go to a friend's that day.

"Leroy's like do you want me to go down and pick her up and I said no, it's a beautiful day, she'll come running right up over the hill because she wants to go. But then that never happened," McKinney said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby_Cluebie_Doo
Back