PA - Conner Snyder, 8, & Brinley, 4, hangings, Berks Co., 23 Sept 2019 *Mom arrested* *GRAPHIC* #2

Plea deal rejected
Good to see a judge with a backbone. Justice for Brinley,and Conner.

Some parts from the article:
"I am not accepting that plea agreement,” Johnson declared, adding, “It doesn't serve the interests of justice.” She then stalked out of the courtroom.

Prosecutors had indicated they would seek the death penalty."
The case will now head to trial, where Snyder faces charges of first-degree murder, child endangerment and evidence tampering.
OK good, thanks. I am interpreting that the judge felt the plea bargain didn’t provide for an appropriately long sentence.

I wasn’t sure from the article if maybe the judge felt it was unjust to imprison a mentally ill person.

Five years. Wheels of justice are moving very slowly.

OK good, thanks. I am interpreting that the judge felt the plea bargain didn’t provide for an appropriately long sentence.

I wasn’t sure from the article if maybe the judge felt it was unjust to imprison a mentally ill person.

Five years. Wheels of justice are moving very slowly.
Oh maybe I misinterpreted. Sorry if I did.

Plea deal rejected
Probably because she wanted to plead no contest! Meaning she didn’t want to enter an admission of guilt. I don’t blame the judge!

Plea deal rejected
From the quoted link:

District Attorney John Adams declined to say why prosecutors had agreed to let Snyder plead no contest to the reduced charge of third-degree murder, which carries a sentence of 20 to 40 years in prison.

“We don’t contest the fact that she’s mentally ill, and she meets the threshold set up under the law that she is mentally ill," he said in a phone interview after the hearing.

Snyder's defense lawyers had no comment. Snyder had no reaction to the judge's ruling and ignored a reporter’s questions outside of the courtroom.

[..]

The defense had planned an insanity defense, citing a “chronic history of severe mental disorders.” Her lawyer has said Snyder had severe depression, borderline personality disorder, dissociative disorder and other mental illness at the time of the homicides.

Prosecutors had indicated they would seek the death penalty.

I dunno -- from capital murder to pleading no contest to reduced charge of third-degree murder sure sounds insulting to me. I think I can understand the Judge walking out of the courtroom. Seriously, could not admit 3rd degree murder? Wow. These were her babies and she wanted them out of the way. JMO

From the quoted link:

District Attorney John Adams declined to say why prosecutors had agreed to let Snyder plead no contest to the reduced charge of third-degree murder, which carries a sentence of 20 to 40 years in prison.

“We don’t contest the fact that she’s mentally ill, and she meets the threshold set up under the law that she is mentally ill," he said in a phone interview after the hearing.

Snyder's defense lawyers had no comment. Snyder had no reaction to the judge's ruling and ignored a reporter’s questions outside of the courtroom.

[..]

The defense had planned an insanity defense, citing a “chronic history of severe mental disorders.” Her lawyer has said Snyder had severe depression, borderline personality disorder, dissociative disorder and other mental illness at the time of the homicides.

Prosecutors had indicated they would seek the death penalty.

I dunno -- from capital murder to pleading no contest to reduced charge of third-degree murder sure sounds insulting to me. I think I can understand the Judge walking out of the courtroom. Seriously, could not admit 3rd degree murder? Wow. These were her babies and she wanted them out of the way. JMO
None of those mental illnesses and disorders make you murder your kids and rape your dog. I should know, I have several of them. She did those things because she felt like it.

Good on the judge, these kids need justice. She needs to never be free to have access to kids or animals ever again.

MOO

This case is so vile. She hung her son and her daughter, proceeded to say it was a murder-suicide because her son was being bullied at school, but then, everyone on that school says that Conner was NOT being bullied and was in fact a beloved and popular student, the older brother of the children also states that he had no knowledge of Conner being bullied or suicidal. Let's also not forget that she started selling her children's toys right after.

No matter how many diagnosis related to mental health she gets, I will never be able to get past what she did to her children and the way she acted after. She knew what she was doing and her actions following the crime make it VERY clear. R.I.P. Conner and Brinley, and I seriously hope their older brother has been surrounded with love all this time, because this is horrific.

I totally agree that her “mental illness” has no bearing on her decisions that day and the weeks before!!

I wonder why the prosecutor offered such a lenient plea? Is there maybe no family fighting for justice, so the prosecutor is apathetic?

Justice for Conner and Brinley!! I don’t think there is a jury out there that would feel sympathy for this woman - MOO

I wonder if the defense will ask for a jury trial or a bench trial?

I totally agree that her “mental illness” has no bearing on her decisions that day and the weeks before!!

I wonder why the prosecutor offered such a lenient plea? Is there maybe no family fighting for justice, so the prosecutor is apathetic?

Justice for Conner and Brinley!! I don’t think there is a jury out there that would feel sympathy for this woman - MOO

I wonder if the defense will ask for a jury trial or a bench trial?
Her smug look just angers me so much. What is the DA thinking ? Seriously. I just can't with these people,who want to bend over backwards for the likes of her. MOO

Okay @Seattle1 - probably no new hearing date yet, eh? TIA if there is (or not!) :)
You guessed correctly. MSM reporting potential trial in March 2024 but this is not reflected anywhere in the docket as of today.

DA Adams declined to comment on today's rejected plea.

Synder's trial is expected to begin in March of 2024.

She is presumed innocent unless or until proven guilty.

WFMZ News

Berks County President Judge Theresa Johnson rejected the plea as soon as it was presented to her by a prosecutor and ended the hearing after just a few minutes, shutting down a defense lawyer who tried to interject.

“I am not accepting that plea agreement,” Johnson declared, adding, “It doesn't serve the interests of justice.” She then stalked out of the courtroom.

Snyder, who made the initial 911 call, had told police her son was bullied and had been threatening to take his own life. But authorities were immediately suspicious of her claim of suicide, and said they found no evidence to support it. The boy showed no outward signs of trouble on school bus security video recorded that day, and an occupational therapist later said he wasn’t physically capable of causing that kind of harm to himself or his little sister.

Police said they found evidence that Snyder went online for information about suicide, death by hanging and how to kill someone, and that she'd also looked for episodes of a documentary crime series called “I Almost Got Away With It.” Snyder also admitted going to a store to buy a dog lead on the day the children were found hanging from it, authorities said.

Finally a Judge with cahones! I smiled when I read the first two paragraphs,

@Seattle1 -
Happy Thanksgiving Turkey Smiley
no rush - whenever you can - is there a next court date yet? TIA! :)

No thanksgiving over here...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savagely_chaotic
Back