Puerto Rico-Other Cruise Ship Missing...

Shadow205 said:
http://www.safetyforum.com/salc/

[font=Verdana,Arial][size=-1]Carnival Lines, the world's largest cruise line, reluctantly admitted in court in 1999 that its crew members had assaulted both passengers and fellow crew members 108 times from 1993 to 1998 – almost twice a month. [/size][/font]

Now that is a real eye opener!
Yes, especially when you see those "Fun Ships' commercials now :sick:

LOST CRUISE PASSENGER MOURNED
The Hartford Courant
July 13, 1999
Author: DWIGHT F. BLINT; Courant Staff Writer

James Scavone's disappearance was so sudden, so incredible that friends and family have had barely the time to gather their composure and collect their remembrances.

So instead of sharing memories of the 22- year-old who vanished while on a cruise last week, emotionally distraught family members and friends turned to poems and to the Bible for comfort during a memorial service Monday.

Scavone is presumed dead after disappearing early the morning of July 5 -- a time that should have been one of the best of his life. He was on a Carnival Cruise Line ship with family and friends, celebrating his recent graduation from Western Connecticut State University in Danbury.

Family members suspect that Scavone, a former soccer captain at Maloney High School, fell overboard and drowned. The FBI is investigating.

His body has not been found, but the healing may have begun Monday when relatives and friends packed St. Rose of Lima Church to cry, hug and give each other support.

Randy Parisi said that he and Scavone's friends decided to have readings, instead of sharing personal memories, because of their tenuous emotional state.

``We thought it would be too tough,'' said Parisi, who read a Bible passage about the eternal nature of the soul. Jeffrey Simeone read another passage, about the importance of love.

And Ann Marie Elsmore read from a poem called ``Some People,'' which was inscribed on a poster that Scavone and Parisi had once given her. The subject: How some people are an inspiration to others. Elsmore said that is the role Scavone had in her life.a

The Rev. Isaac Calicchio offered a similar thought, urging mourners to build on Scavone's life. He told the story of two disciples and the sadness they felt after Jesus' death. But then he turned it around to describe their joy and rededication to their faith after realizing that Jesus had risen from the dead.

``I tried to do the same for the family and the friends,'' Calicchio said.

Scavone was last seen leaving a nightclub on the cruise ship, which was sailing from Miami to San Juan. He wasn't reported missing until several hours later that day, after his companions became alarmed that he had not turned up.

FBI JOINS SEARCH FOR CITY MAN\ RECENT GRADUATE LAST SEEN ON SHIP
The Hartford Courant
July 9, 1999
Author: DWIGHT F.BLINT And JANICE D'ARCY; Courant Staff Writers

Investigators continue to search for a Meriden man who vanished from a cruise ship bound for Puerto Rico this week, as anguished family and friends hope for the best.

James Scavone, 22, was reported missing Monday by a group of friends who were accompanying him on a Carnival Cruise Line ship to celebrate his graduation from Western Connecticut State University.

Scavone, a Maloney High School graduate, was last seen leaving a nightclub on the fifth deck of the 12- deck ship early Monday morning. Later in the day, when his friends were unable to find him, they reported his disappearance to the ship's crew.

A search of the ship by crew members and a subsequent search of the ocean between Miami and San Juan by the Coast Guard turned up no clues.

Tim Gallagher, a spokesman for the cruise line, said that between the time the Coast Guard was called and Scavone was last seen, the ship could have traveled as much as 200 miles.

The San Juan office of the FBI is investigating the incident.

``We're following all logical leads, interviewing witnesses and trying to reconstruct what happened that night,'' FBI Special Agent Sara Lema said.

Lema said investigators are looking into various scenarios, including the possibilities that Scavone fell overboard or was kidnapped. ``At this point, we can't rule out anything,'' Lema said.

Gallagher said it is very rare for passengers to fall off the cruise line's ships.

``We carry over 2 million people a year, and most years we go without losing anyone,'' Gallagher said. ``From time to time, it does happen.''

The nightclub exits into an enclosed lobby. The location of Scavone's room was not available.

Scavone's father, James, declined to talk about the investigation Thursday. ``Everything is still up in the air, I can't make any comment,'' he said.

Though Scavone was reported missing Monday, many in his hometown were unaware of the search and subsequent investigation until Thursday.

One of his closest friends, Daryl Hoedtke, learned of the news Thursday evening when he phoned his family from a trip abroad.

``He was so upset, he wants to come home right away,'' Hoedtke's mother, Maureen, said.

``He and Jimmy are best friends,'' she said, recalling how they remained close even while the two went to college in different states.

``When my son was home sick, Jimmy came over and sat with him. He brought him movies because he knew Daryl couldn't go out,'' she said, before breaking down in tears.

``This is all just too difficult to comprehend,'' she said.

Wayne Mones, coach of Western Connecticut State's soccer team, said he heard about Scavone's disappearance from the young man's uncle.

Scavone, who was captain of his high school team, tried out for the university's soccer team his freshman year, but decided not to join the team because he wanted to commit his time to his studies, Mones said.

``He seemed like one nice young man,'' Mones said.

Bruce Golden, the Maloney High School soccer coach who worked with Scavone for four years and taught him , said Scavone was a unique student who excelled in school and in sports.

Scavone lead the Spartan soccer team's defense and was elected captain by his teammates in his senior year. Golden singled him out in 1995 as an outstanding student-athlete. ``He wasn't just one or the other. He was both,'' Golden said.

Golden learned of the search late Wednesday and, on Thursday, was still sorting through the news accounts.

``I've got my fingers crossed,'' he said, voicing the thoughts of an entire community, ``that Jimmy's still alive.''

Here are 2 more recent ones...

COAST GUARD STOPS SEARCH FOR MISSING CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER
South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
November 27, 2004
Author: The Associated Press

The Coast Guard called off its search Friday for a 54-year-old Virginia man reported missing after a cruise ship arrived without him from a five-day trip to the Bahamas.

After searching 350 square miles of water off Jacksonville and in the St. Johns River for more than a day, the Coast Guard suspended its search for Glenn Sheridan of Williamsburg, Va.

Sheridan's wife, Gloria, reported him missing after the Carnival Cruise Line ship Celebration docked in Jacksonville on Thursday. Sheridan was last seen by his wife about 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

Gloria Sheridan said her husband was an early riser and might have fallen overboard as early as 4 a.m., said Coast Guard Petty Officer Bobby Nash. At that time, the ship then would have been about 13 miles off northeast Florida, heading for the St. Johns River and Jacksonville.

The Coast Guard received a missing persons report soon after the ship's crew conducted a full ship search to make sure Sheridan wasn't on board.

Carnival said the vessel's electronic exit and entry equipment showed the man did not leave the ship after it docked in Jacksonville.

Vance Gulliksen, a Carnival spokesman in Miami, said it was very unusual for a passenger to be reported missing, but he didn't have exact numbers. He said Carnival carries about 3 million passengers a year.

The Celebration, which can carry almost 1,500 passengers, sailed back to the Bahamas with a fresh load of passengers later Thursday.

SEARCH FOR MAN HAS ENDED
Orlando Sentinel, The (FL)
July 26, 2004

MIAMI -- The Coast Guard has called off a search for a Virginia man who apparently went overboard from a cruise ship off Key Biscayne.

Christopher Cadwell, 37, of Virginia Beach, Va., was last seen on the aft deck before dawn Friday as Carnival Cruise Lines' Fascination was returning from a four-day cruise to Mexico.

The search by a C-130 plane, two helicopters, a cutter and a boat was extended Saturday about 120 miles north to Fort Pierce based on currents, but without result.
Memo: Andrea Perera of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Wire services were also used.

i've followed the amy bradley case for awhile...this case breaks my heart. Likely she was met with foul play and will never be found...once someone is lost overseas, they are nearly impossible to track.

I'm interested in the James Scavone case, but there seems to be NOTHING online about him, besides his NCMA profile. I wish parents/friends would know that having a website up is a huge generator of tips/leads/information in finding a missing person. I'm suprised someone hasn't set up a website for him already.

And he'll invite their neighbors inside to show the photos of Hue Pham, 70, and Hue Tran, 65, posing in Barbados, smiling side by side at a formal dinner.

The snapshots were taken days before the couple mysteriously disappeared on May 12. The only clues: Hue Tran's shoes and handbag lying side by side on the third-level deck of the Carnival Destiny cruise ship.

"We're not ready to let go yet," said Son Michael Pham, 48. "So we come over, clean the house. ... Spend as much time sitting and talking about them."

Before the couple set out for the nearly month-long vacation, they arranged for a maintenance worker to care for the herbs and geraniums at their Westminster mobile home, neighbors said. Hue Tran went to a beauty parlor to get her eyebrows tattooed so she'd look well-put-together as always, Son Michael Pham said.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/06/11/sections/local/local/article_556253.php

I'd just like to add to this that it would be easier in most spots to hit the water if you fell overboard than a life raft. They were placed out of way so people could see the sights better. As far as the lighting on the ships, at night it is quite dark on some of the decks. I"ve been on Carnival ships recently and never had any trouble with crew, but there are bad people everywhere. I also think a cross reference of passenger names should be run where people are missing.

Casshew said:
Yes, especially when you see those "Fun Ships' commercials now :sick:

I have cruised Carnival several times on different ships and I really enjoy the atomosphere. No compaints from me. :snooty:

Many embarked on the cruises for happy occasions. A few were on their honeymoons; one man had just graduated from college. An elderly Vietnamese-American couple was on a Mother's Day treat after a hard life as refugees.

But the joy would suddenly turn tragic. They all vanished, leaving their families to forever wonder what went wrong.

The most recent case is the disappearance of George Smith IV of Greenwich, who vanished on his honeymoon while aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise of the Mediterranean. Blood stains running from the balcony of Smith's cabin to life boats, as well as a hand print on the side of the ship, have prompted a Turkish prosecutor to ask Smith's family to provide blood samples for comparison.

Smith was reported missing when the ship docked at Kusadasi, a resort area in the Aegean region of Turkey. He's one of at least 12 passengers who have vanished on cruises in the past six years.
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...,0,4239104.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire

mysteriew said:
Maritime authorities were on alert today for a woman reported missing from a cruise ship off the Caribbean coast of Mexico, a Carnival Cruise Lines representative said.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/headline/world/3241121
You posted this about a month ago and the link no longer works, would have to search archives. I'll just ask if she's been found and do you know the circumstances of her disappearance? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like there is foul play going on. Could be gang related, where they have to commit a crime of murder, to stay in the gang. :confused:

mysteriew said:
And he'll invite their neighbors inside to show the photos of Hue Pham, 70, and Hue Tran, 65, posing in Barbados, smiling side by side at a formal dinner.

The snapshots were taken days before the couple mysteriously disappeared on May 12. The only clues: Hue Tran's shoes and handbag lying side by side on the third-level deck of the Carnival Destiny cruise ship.

"We're not ready to let go yet," said Son Michael Pham, 48. "So we come over, clean the house. ... Spend as much time sitting and talking about them."

Before the couple set out for the nearly month-long vacation, they arranged for a maintenance worker to care for the herbs and geraniums at their Westminster mobile home, neighbors said. Hue Tran went to a beauty parlor to get her eyebrows tattooed so she'd look well-put-together as always, Son Michael Pham said.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/06/11/sections/local/local/article_556253.php

How would this little couple have fallen overboard? They are probably short and would have to lean way way over the railing inorder to go overboard.
Besides, they are older and probably wouldn't have been hanging over a railing
much less almost standing on their heads to look at what..the water???

There is something going on with all of these people just disappearing off of cruise ships. It is impossible for me to believe that they all fell overboard. If there is such a problem with low railings then maybe the ships should change their railings and make it high enough that no one could possibly get over it..whether they want to jump or someone wants to push them over.

For now I would suggest that anyone who goes on a cruise never go anywhere by yourself. A trip to the bathroom may mean the end of your life. Like that young 22 yr old. Scary. I think someone is doing this to people. There are horrible people everywhere so why not on cruise ships. Shove someone overboard that is just standing by the rail enjoying the fresh air. Turn around and walk off and no one would ever know what happened.

Having hired a maritime lawyer and public relations firm, the family of George Allen Smith IV yesterday blasted the cruise industry for its handling of passenger safety, applauding a congressional hearing scheduled for next week.

"We are so pleased that our efforts have resulted in the Congressional hearing," the Smith family said in an e-mail yesterday. "We hope that George's disappearance from Royal Caribbean's 'Brilliance of the Seas' has brought much needed attention to the lack of security and other problems endemic in the cruise industry. The time has come to stand up to the cruise lines and protect American citizens by passing new laws that make the cruise industry accountable for passenger safety and the preservation of crime scenes, strengthen passenger rights and law enforcement's powers."

My daughter has reservations to go on a cruise in April of 2006. Her half sister is getting married on the ship and she is maid of honor. I am so worried about this but I don't want to upset her plans. They will be cruising to St. John, the American Virgin Islands. I will give her tidbits over the next few months. She is single so that causes me a little more worry....and she is beautiful. Oh hell, the truth is I worry about her all the time anyway.

I am glad people are calling attention to this. It seems that this is a few too many people to fall off the ships.Something else is up.

I saw on the news today that George's family have brought a civil suit against the cruise lines. They figure that this is the only way that they will ever get any info about what has been done so far in his case. They have gotten no info from the cruise line or from the FBI who seem to be handling the case now. They figure that the cruise line attorneys will have to hand over discovery and then they will be able to see what has been done. They don't even know if the blood on the ship was George's blood. They are pretty frustrated with the lack of information.

SAW THAT LARRY KING ON CNN WILL BE DOING SHOW ON MISSING PERSONS ON CRUISE SHIPS....SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, 13 DECEMBER.

MIGHT BE INTERESTING, I DO NOT KNOW WHO THE GUESTS ARE.

It's now been learned that the Canadian woman reported missing from a cruise ship in the Bahamas on the weekend is from Victoria.

Jill Begora was reported missing by her husband last weekend, as the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Jewel of the Seas pulled into the Bahamian capital of Nassau after visiting the eastern Caribbean island of Antigua.
http://www.cbc.ca/bc/story/bc_cruise-begora20051213.html

Congress Looks at Cruise Dangers
FBI Has Probed More Than 300 Crime Cases in the Last Five Years

Thinking about booking a cruise for your next vacation? If you are, the FBI says you should also think about protecting yourself from a violent crime while you are on the ship.

Today on Capitol Hill, two subcommittees are holding a joint hearing focusing on cruise-ship crimes and disappearances. One case that will draw attention is that of Jill Begora.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1401565&page=1

Government Looks Into High Seas Disappearances

A congressional subcommittee that is primarily focused on terrorism has turned its attention to on the high seas.

The hearing comes after about a dozen passenger disappearances in recent years, and an attempted hijacking of a luxury cruiser.
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7001474401

Disappearance of town man spurs probe of cruise safety

Jennifer Hagel Smith's description of being thrown off a cruise ship, mocked and taunted at a Turkish police station and left to fend for herself in a foreign city with no money or assistance, rang out at yesterday's congressional hearing into the cruise line industry.

As she sat quietly in the front row with her parents and those of George Allen Smith IV, Rep. Christopher Shays R-Conn., read excerpts of her written testimony describing her ordeal following Smith's suspicious disappearance during their honeymoon cruise on the Mediterranean Sea.
http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/l...5912158.story?coll=green-news-local-headlines

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back