Puerto Rico-Other Cruise Ship Missing...

Relatives Of Missing Cruise Passengers Form New Group

STAMFORD, Conn. -- Relatives of cruise passengers who disappeared on the high seas are forming a new group to seek industry reforms, saying they want to draw attention to how they were treated and the extent of crimes aboard the ships.

The group, which includes eight families so far, will seek a second hearing before Congress. The first hearing last month focused largely on the disappearance of George Allen Smith IV of Greenwich in the Mediterranean Sea last July, one of the latest in a string of disappearances in recent years.

"To me the number of disappearances plus the number of sexual assaults they admit to is alarming," said Brett Rivkind, a lawyer for Smith's family and the new group. "The only way they're going to change is by Congress regulating them."

More: http://www.wnbc.com/news/5825381/detail.html?rss=ny&psp=news

Does anyone know the name of this group? It would be interesting to see if they have a website- and any other cases that we don't know about...

Kendall Carver walked out of a congressional hearing a few weeks ago relieved that after months of waging a one-family battle to wring information from a cruise line about his daughter's disappearance, he now knew of several other families suffering similar tragedies.

Shortly after those hearings, the families, including relatives of Greenwich's George A. Smith IV, who disappeared in July while on his honeymoon cruise, made a pact to band together.

Through e-mails, the families began talking to one another and have now formed a group to call for reforms to the cruise line industry, to better protect passengers and address the way cruise officials handle disappearances and crimes aboard their ships.

The yet-unnamed group is working on setting up a Web site, although Carver helped set up an e-mail for families who want to contact the group, he said. That e-mail is cruisevictims@cox.net. So far one woman contacted the group, asking to join and saying that her daughter was assaulted while abroad a cruise ship, Carver said.

One of the goals of the new group, especially when it gets its Web site operational, is to catalog a comprehensive a list of crimes that occur on the high seas, said Jean Scavone, a Meriden mother whose son disappeared from a cruise ship in 1999.
http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/l...1647731.story?coll=green-news-local-headlines

Irish teen reported missing from cruise ship
BY TOM STIEGHORST
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A 15-year-old cruise passenger from Ireland was reported missing early Thursday morning in waters off Mexico's Yucatan peninsula, the latest in a string of disappearances from cruise ships.

The passenger, who was traveling with her family, was aboard the cruise ship Costa Magica, which left Fort Lauderdale New Year's Day on a week-long Western Caribbean itinerary. It is due back on Jan. 8.

At about 2 a.m. EST Thursday, as the ship was making its way towards Cozumel, Mexico, the teenager was reported to have disappeared. "We have a full investigation going on," said Lynn Torrent, president of Costa Cruise Lines.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/nation/13558981.htm

I've read a couple of other articles in which her younger sister saw her fall overboard accidentally. I believe she fell from the top deck of the ship. If her sister hadn't seen her, people would think she was another suspecious missing persons case. Maybe some of the other cases can be just as easily explained.

15 PASSENGERS VANISH SINCE 2004

The cruise lines say 15 people have disappeared from their ships in the past two years, though privacy concerns prevent them from releasing details. In some of the 15 cases listed below, names were not available and details are scarce:

Link to Article is Here

Meanwhile, just a thought about George.

Maybe he didn't hold his liquor well, was obnoxious and got in a fight with the people he was playing some game with after his bride went somewhere else to sleep. I don't remember all the details.

lg

Galeana was last seen at approximately 12:30 a.m. Tuesday July 25th, when she joined her parents to sleep in their stateroom says the statement.

At that time, the ship was sailing from Civitavecchia, the port which serves Rome, to Naples.

Galeana was reported missing by her sister at approximately 7:30 a.m. Tuesday shortly after the vessel berthed at Naples cruise terminal. A variety of onboard announcements and searches were immediately carried out, without success.
http://cbs4.com/local/local_story_209121204.html

So she made it into her parents stateroom to go to sleep and was gone at 7:30am. Had her bed been slept in? Did the stateroom have a balcony? Was her door key used after 12:30am? I have questions on this one.

Shadow, I have the same questions. I would think this is a little easier to pinpoint than some others.

Where was she supposed to be sleeping, in another stateroom with her sister? Did she and the sister have an argument, and is that why she went to sleep with her parents? Why would a 22-year-old go sleep in her parents' room unless something was wrong or there was a reason she didn't want to sleep elsewhere?

My sister went on a cruise MANY years ago. Even back then she said that she felt sex with crew was possible if that's what you were looking for. Wouldn't be too far a stretch to think that a female who flirted but wasn't flirting for sex that's just their personality, might interest a crew member and when the crew member "pushed the issue" and was rebuffed they might snap. Then they rape the person and suddenly they're faced with loss of job and jail so you toss the person overboard. Killing someone out at sea I would think might be easier then we'd like it to be. As long as you're not seen, you have a damned good chance to get away with it. I can't believe for a minute every single one of these incidences are accidents/suicides, so obviously at least for now, folks ARE getting away with it.

I dated a guy once who insisted a friend of mine was hitting on him but she wasn't - she just had a bubbly personality and was "flirty" but she would never go after an attached person. But those sort of things can be misinterpreted very easily. Heck when my sister's first true love dumped her, numerous mutual friends came to me and warned me not to start dating him right away. Now he WAS my best friend, but we would have KILLED each other (not literally) had we dated and I had nothing to do with their break up - fortunately my sister KNEW that.

You're on vacation away from the world basically, you drink a bit and are really relaxed and bubbly. Some guy thinks you're attractive and if you're nice to him, he's going to want to believe this pretty female IS interested in him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back