Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
desperate search continues for a mother-of-three who vanished without a trace after heading off on a 20km run during a heatwave.

Samantha Murphy, 51, was last seen leaving her home on Eureka Street in Ballarat East, about 100km northwest of Melbourne, at 7am on Sunday.

It's understood she was planning to run through the Canadian State Forest and was captured on CCTV wearing a brown singlet and black half-length leggings.

The mother-of-three has now been missing for almost 36 hours

Her 'upset and concerned' family hold grave concerns and described her disappearance as out of character.
1707124823535.jpeg

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Last edited by a moderator:
This case is under a suppression order. That means you can't name the accused here. It doesn't matter if some publications do so - Websleuths attempts to comply with the laws of other countries to the extent that we can.

If you review the Etiquestte & Information link below this post, you'll be reminded that Websleuths rules state we do not sleuth family members. It doesn't matter if some publications do so. You may discuss statements that family members make to MSM. You may NOT sleuth their social media or try to find out where they get their pancakes in the morning.

Check it out! We have social media rules!! You can review them at the link below this post. You cannot post the accused's social media unless the supression order is lifted. You can't get away with discussing something that you aren't allowed to link by talking about it, and giving enough info to find it, and then saying IMO. That's not what an opinion is. No link, no post.

REDDIT is not an approved source.
If you are absolutely sure that you have found the accused's reddit account, don't post it on the thread - get approval by using the report feature, linking it and telling us why you think it's them. But for now, this case is under a suppression order, so if you find it, you can't post it unless the order is lifted.

HAVE A CONVERSATION!!!! Invite whoever you want to participate in a private discussion - up to 20 people, I think. You can talk about whatever you want and the rules don't apply there - except do be nice to one another. Mods/Admin can't see your private discussions.

Thread is open.

Thank you @Knitty for your work cleaning up that thread!

I know it wouldn’t have been easy to clean up (not the fault of any forum members may I add!) after his name was released by many media outlets prior to the suppression order coming into force.

It seems abit of a pointless having a suppression order in place when everybody knows his name already - I’m guessing the judge will think it’s futile and get rid of it soon.

Questions over disappearance of Ballarat woman Samantha Murphy continue despite murder charges - ABC News

Police had indicated multiple people were involved, so where were the others?

If the accused has not given up the location of a body, how can they be charged with murder?

What was the piece of information that led to the arrest?

And how did a young man from a seemingly well-to-do background end up accused of murder?

For those who aren't familiar with suppression orders, ABC has published an article that goes into it a bit about how they work, when they are granted and for what kinds of reasons, etc.

For those who aren't familiar with suppression orders, ABC has published an article that goes into it a bit about how they work, when they are granted and for what kinds of reasons, etc.

Thanks for that. I'm not Australian and had never heard of this being done before.

My main question is, how can they enforce an order like that outside of Australia? Now that we live in an age of instantly available online news from around the world, it seems a bit odd to think they can stop anyone anywhere from publishing the man's name. Sure they can stop Aussie news outlets from publishing it, but if a newspaper in Dubai or a vlogger in New York continues to publish his info, what is an Australian court going to do? The information is still all over social media.

Ballarat mayor Des Hudson, a former police officer, told the Herald Sun on Friday the Murphy family had endured hurtful and baseless gossip for the past month and urged the community to be “better than that”.

“The different stories that have been swirling around, people adding to and people speculating, it would just be really hurtful for the family to hear some of those [rumours] at a time when they are obviously highly stressed, highly sensitive, highly emotional,” Cr Hudson told the newspaper.

Thanks for that. I'm not Australian and had never heard of this being done before.

My main question is, how can they enforce an order like that outside of Australia? Now that we live in an age of instantly available online news from around the world, it seems a bit odd to think they can stop anyone anywhere from publishing the man's name. Sure they can stop Aussie news outlets from publishing it, but if a newspaper in Dubai or a vlogger in New York continues to publish his info, what is an Australian court going to do? The information is still all over social media.

I don't know enough about it however I'd imagine it's only Australia wide? To ensure he can have a fair trial here. IMO.

I remember there was a gag order in the Tara Grinstead case that was quickly ruled out by court.

I don't know enough about it however I'd imagine it's only Australia wide? To ensure he can have a fair trial here. IMO.

I remember there was a gag order in the Tara Grinstead case that was quickly ruled out by court.
Right, but since now we can all get our news from anywhere in the world, instantly, I just don't know how the judge thinks they can keep the information from being seen in Australia. It would have been much different before the Internet, but now it just seems a bit pointless. IMO.

Hi @iamshadow21 you’re always a fountain of knowledge.

Can I just ask regarding suppression orders - is it possible that he is facing other unrelated charges and that’s why this order came into force? To ensure he gets a fair trial in regards to those separate cases? (I’m sure this happened in the Grace Millane murder case in New Zealand) British backpacker's killer guilty of more attacks - BBC News

Hi @iamshadow21 you’re always a fountain of knowledge.

Can I just ask regarding suppression orders - is it possible that he is facing other unrelated charges and that’s why this order came into force? To ensure he gets a fair trial in regards to those separate cases? (I’m sure this happened in the Grace Millane murder case in New Zealand) British backpacker's killer guilty of more attacks - BBC News
I'm not the right person to ask - I'm probably just as new to this as most people. I know that they're a thing, but that's about my limit. I am very much not a lawyer, especially not in Victoria, which has different laws to my own state. That's why I linked the article, because it seemed like a good starting point to understanding suppression orders for the rest of us.

MOO

I don't see how I can reply to a post on a previous thread, but my question will stem from post #1500 on page 75 of Thread #5-

Does anyone here have knowledge of remains that have been in a fire?

It is my understanding that fire will obviously reduce the body down, but the bones or bone fragments do remain. (To my knowledge, after a typical cremation, they are processed/crushed afterwards.)

Secondly, if what was stated in what was referenced in the above post is true, does anyone local have knowledge of any searches being executed in areas that have experienced recent brush fires in the area?

I'm not the right person to ask - I'm probably just as new to this as most people. I know that they're a thing, but that's about my limit. I am very much not a lawyer, especially not in Victoria, which has different laws to my own state. That's why I linked the article, because it seemed like a good starting point to understanding suppression orders for the rest of us.

MOO

Can I ask you a question? :D

The name of the charged Police officer in Sydney
was not suppressed.
He is accused of killing 2 men.
And he also is alleged to suffer from "mental health issues".

So,
what is the difference between these 2 charged men?

1 name suppressed.
1 name not suppressed.
Both are Australians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads