Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
'While no sinister factors have been identified in Samantha's disappearance at this time, there are significant concerns given it has now been six days without her being sighted or any signs of her current whereabouts,' Victoria police said in a statement.

'We haven't received any information relating to her movements from the moment she left [her] home address on Sunday morning,' Detective Hatt added.

'Absolutely, that will be a huge part of our investigation. Digging into the background, working out Samantha's movements in the days leading up to her disappearance and also double-so the people who know her,' he said.

Part of the investigation - now dubbed Operation Primus - will see detectives trawl through Ms Murphy's computers and devices in the hope of finding clues.

Just my opinion her on Samantha’s husband. A lot has been stated about his actions in the press conference and at the police station and his lack of actions in searching etc. I’ll be honest he rubbed me the wrong way in his press conference when I saw he had hints of smiles and then threw in the food gag like he was at a stand up show. However it’s really hard to come up with any kind of realistic opinion on a bloke who I don’t know and have never seen before, so it’s real hard to get a base line on his usual behaviour and nuances.

one thing I can say is he reminds me of my dad, a super old school “man’s man” who to outsiders seems devoid of any real emotion. Trying to get a hug from him is like drawing blood from a. Stone. And hes someone who uses humour in sad/awkward situations, which can really rub people the wrong way Let me tell ya Lol.

it’s easy to point a finger at the spouse, as it is statistically the most likely outcome. Someone like the American Chris Watts for example. while statistically it shines a light onto family and close associates, jumping the gun without any real evidence can be dangerous. Just like Cleo Smith, I remember early everything but the kitchen sink being thrown at the parents cos of how they came across in a few interviews, as we all know now they had nothing to do with it.

I would assume cos of the cctv at Samantha’s house, LE would have the ability to see anyone else leaving the property at that time, and any time in the desired timeframe, and be able to track the husbands movements. Unfortunately that kinda information isn’t and will not be available to us internet sleuths, and That’s probably a good thing.

There is also conflicting info out there. One is she ran 20km v she walked 10km.

If she left at 7am and was seen on cctv at 716am running v walking would have a big impact on the distance she could have travelled.

Also her phone pinged near scotchmans lead which is approx 20km from her home but would make for a 40km round trip.
Does anyone know how many kilometers she would do in a day,? 20 km is a long distance, and a return trip of 40km to me it seems excessive

It has also been revealed that CCTV footage put out by the police which was thought to have shown Ms Murphy going for a jog before her disappearance is actually of a different woman.

The Herald Sun has now reported that Victoria Police may bring in homicide investigators from the missing persons unit.

Their role will be to review the case. But it will also raise concerns that foul play may have played a role in Ms Murphy’s disappearance.

“We haven’t ruled out anything – the focus is finding her,” Inspector Bob Heany told 3AW.

*eta:

Last edited:
IMO
They’ve scaled down the search, not wasting more valuable resources and continuing to reassure the public that it’s not suspicious.
Today’s press conference was so tight with info, then a big scale down after a massive effort and rallying of everyone to assist.
It’s possible they know who it is.
All speculation.

Just my opinion her on Samantha’s husband. A lot has been stated about his actions in the press conference and at the police station and his lack of actions in searching etc. I’ll be honest he rubbed me the wrong way in his press conference when I saw he had hints of smiles and then threw in the food gag like he was at a stand up show. However it’s really hard to come up with any kind of realistic opinion on a bloke who I don’t know and have never seen before, so it’s real hard to get a base line on his usual behaviour and nuances.

one thing I can say is he reminds me of my dad, a super old school “man’s man” who to outsiders seems devoid of any real emotion. Trying to get a hug from him is like drawing blood from a. Stone. And hes someone who uses humour in sad/awkward situations, which can really rub people the wrong way Let me tell ya Lol.

it’s easy to point a finger at the spouse, as it is statistically the most likely outcome. Someone like the American Chris Watts for example. while statistically it shines a light onto family and close associates, jumping the gun without any real evidence can be dangerous. Just like Cleo Smith, I remember early everything but the kitchen sink being thrown at the parents cos of how they came across in a few interviews, as we all know now they had nothing to do with it.

I would assume cos of the cctv at Samantha’s house, LE would have the ability to see anyone else leaving the property at that time, and any time in the desired timeframe, and be able to track the husbands movements. Unfortunately that kinda information isn’t and will not be available to us internet sleuths, and That’s probably a good thing.
I completely agree with you regarding Samantha's husband. IMO he seems to have a 'gauche' personality, for want of a better word. I also think he may be in denial as to the gravity of the situation. JMO

IMO
They’ve scaled down the search, not wasting more valuable resources and continuing to reassure the public that it’s not suspicious.
Today’s press conference was so tight with info, then a big scale down after a massive effort and rallying of everyone to assist.
It’s possible they know who it is.
All speculation.
I doubt that.

It has also been revealed that CCTV footage put out by the police which was thought to have shown Ms Murphy going for a jog before her disappearance is actually of a different woman.

The Herald Sun has now reported that Victoria Police may bring in homicide investigators from the missing persons unit.

Their role will be to review the case. But it will also raise concerns that foul play may have played a role in Ms Murphy’s disappearance.

“We haven’t ruled out anything – the focus is finding her,” Inspector Bob Heany told 3AW.

*eta:

So, police are declaring another person was the seen jogger.
But, are they saying there is no proof she was even on a jog??
If the community was quite used to seeing her on her jogs, are police saying NO ONE saw her jogging.
Did family declare she went on a jog.
Confused.

After reading this entire thread the thing that is bothering me most is the phone. It was 7am you would assume that a responsible adult who knew they were going out the next day would have put their phone on charge so it is resonable to assume that the phone didn't go flat in the couple of hours between leaving the house and the last ping near the golf course which only leaves being turned off or the phone getting broken in some way. If the phone broke say hypothetically she had a fall depending what series apple watch she had she would still be able to alert someone using the watch especially if it was a new one as they have fall alert and gps tracking. Also police saying they are investigating cell phone tower data doesn't necessarily mean her data Cleo Smith was found by tracking cell phone tower data but it wasn't hers.

Secondly if you look at google street view of the street it is easy to see that houses in the general direction she was headed aren't all close together and some are quite a distance from the road and are unlikely to have CCTV that would have picked her up. The footage from the kennel that was determined not to be her is a good example the person caught on that camera was barely distinguishable as a person it is pretty much a vaguely human shaped spot moving across the distance.

Australian police are notoriously tight lipped about every case it's not just this one. They release what they deem useful and nothing that could compromise any potential future case.

As for the husband not searching thats not unusual here either they tend to stick to only qualified searchers such as police and SES unless they are really low on numbers or very remote. This is done for numerous reasons the 1st being police and SES are trained for it and the Australian bush can be a rough place but also if something is found the police and SES know what to do to make sure the scene is secure. But it's also for the families sake they don't want friends and family potentially finding their loved one dead or messing with evidence if a crime has been committed.

JMO

Reminds of the David Prideaux case. Another person in the bush vanishes without a trace. Obviously, we now know there was motive from some of those close to David and maybe a motive might be identitied in this case. But atm, she’s just vanished with a trace and it’s extremely concerning. A runner shouldn’t leave trails to run and if she was injured, best bet is to stay put and ring someone. Concerning is the Sissy Austin attack and the recent footage of the youth offenders running over those cyclists, both of these are possibilities in this case.
Is there reception in the forest though? Is it possible that she couldn’t ring anyone if something was wrong,

After reading this entire thread the thing that is bothering me most is the phone. It was 7am you would assume that a responsible adult who knew they were going out the next day would have put their phone on charge so it is resonable to assume that the phone didn't go flat in the couple of hours between leaving the house and the last ping near the golf course which only leaves being turned off or the phone getting broken in some way. If the phone broke say hypothetically she had a fall depending what series apple watch she had she would still be able to alert someone using the watch especially if it was a new one as they have fall alert and gps tracking. Also police saying they are investigating cell phone tower data doesn't necessarily mean her data Cleo Smith was found by tracking cell phone tower data but it wasn't hers.

Secondly if you look at google street view of the street it is easy to see that houses in the general direction she was headed aren't all close together and some are quite a distance from the road and are unlikely to have CCTV that would have picked her up. The footage from the kennel that was determined not to be her is a good example the person caught on that camera was barely distinguishable as a person it is pretty much a vaguely human shaped spot moving across the distance.

Australian police are notoriously tight lipped about every case it's not just this one. They release what they deem useful and nothing that could compromise any potential future case.

As for the husband not searching thats not unusual here either they tend to stick to only qualified searchers such as police and SES unless they are really low on numbers or very remote. This is done for numerous reasons the 1st being police and SES are trained for it and the Australian bush can be a rough place but also if something is found the police and SES know what to do to make sure the scene is secure. But it's also for the families sake they don't want friends and family potentially finding their loved one dead or messing with evidence if a crime has been committed.

JMO
I agree regarding the phone being pretty much on full charge when she left for the run.
On the face of it, once a person is declared missing you'd think Police investigators would be able to just tap into the data.

You'd think it would be simple. I don't think it is unfortunately.

Hi W28,
It sounds normal for her to run 10 to 20km on a Sunday morning. Maybe more.
As brjakj pointed out, Samantha's phone pinged near Scotchmans Lead which is approx 20km from her home, but would make for a 40km round trip - ie almost marathon distance (42.195 ks) - and then go out for brunch? Something's not quite gelling right there. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiseThread07