SC SC - Annette Deanne Sagers, 11, Mount Holly, 4 Oct 1988

Sheriff Duane Lewis says, "We don’t have any bodies. and we don't have any information that leads us to believe they are still alive."
I wonder if they know anything that hasn't been released yet. I always have believed this mother and daughter could very well be out there alive somewhere. On the flip side I can also see the possibility that Korrina was abducted and Annette was a witness and was taken later in fear she'd tell someone. I want to believe the lather that they are out there somewhere though. I've heard of people that had started new lives but fear reaching out to loved ones from their 'past' life. Not that they don't miss them, but it's usually out of fear of legal action (if they stole an identity) or maybe even fearing the family would be angry at them for leaving.

I have noticed a typo in several articles on Annette that incorrectly have her age as 8 years old. I have also seen 12 which makes more sense. I wonder why some think she was 8?

I wonder if they know anything that hasn't been released yet. I always have believed this mother and daughter could very well be out there alive somewhere. On the flip side I can also see the possibility that Korrina was abducted and Annette was a witness and was taken later in fear she'd tell someone. I want to believe the lather that they are out there somewhere though. I've heard of people that had started new lives but fear reaching out to loved ones from their 'past' life. Not that they don't miss them, but it's usually out of fear of legal action (if they stole an identity) or maybe even fearing the family would be angry at them for leaving.

I have noticed a typo in several articles on Annette that incorrectly have her age as 8 years old. I have also seen 12 which makes more sense. I wonder why some think she was 8?
My theory is that the stepfather was molesting Annette and killed the mother because the mother was onto him. Eventually he decided that he could no longer control Annette and killed her in order to silence her.

To me, the idea that they left voluntarily is absurd on its face.

Feb 27 2019
Experts take new look at Berkeley County cold case of missing mother, 11-year-old girl
  • In the 1990s, a pond on the property was drained for maintenance. Deputies say a rolled-up carpet was pulled out. The plantation’s caretaker notified authorities, but it was never documented in the Malinoski/Sagers case file. The carpet was also never tested for evidence. Lt. Kokinda and Detective Lewis only learned of the carpet when they re-opened the case and visited the property and spoke with the caretaker. Detectives say there is no reason why anyone would need to dispose of carpet in the pond. It’s secluded and very few people know the pond exists. They believe it may be tied to the case. The carpet no longer exists.
I wonder whether they unrolled that rug to see whether there was a body in it. They might not have bothered.

Here are some pics that I promised. They are listed in order of attachment.

Korrina (1977 Moline High School yearbook)

Annette 1st Grade

Annette 3rd Grade

Annette and Me

Annette, my brother, and I

Does it look like Annette was not happy to have little brothers? I just think I remember someone saying something like that in a previous post.

Here are some more pictures.

Pictures are listed in order.

Annette, my brother, and I

Annette

Korrina, my brother, and some other child

Annette and I
If you contact the Charley Project administrator she can crop and add these additional photos of Annette to her profile. Currently it only features her 3rd grade photo from 1985. I didn't realize that was taken 3 years before her disappearance until I saw these posts. Your sister and mother are beautiful.

Hi Y’all! I’m new, discovered this forum from the Medium article it was mentioned in. So, I’ve read every page of the posts and I have questions.

It’s been stated that Korrina & Steve had a tumultuous marriage when she disappeared. Where any of their neighbors, friends, co-workers, the plantation owners, maybe...interviewed by the police? I’m just curious if anyone mentioned Korrina saying anything like ‘I wish I could leave him!’ Or ‘He scares me sometimes’ ...or just talking about their relationship as a whole...maybe even seeing something?

One thing that stuck out to me was the fact that Korrina’s boss was the first person to become worried about her. So much so that they immediately got in the car to start a search. This seems odd and like an overreaction, regardless of how dependable of an employee K was. I have been friends with bosses, and I’m diligent about letting them know if I won’t be in or am running late....but I can’t see any of them immediately jumping off to look for me because I haven’t shown up or contacted them? Does that make sense? I feel like most people would call the person’s home & other co-workers to see if they knew anything first...then after a few hours swing by their house?

That being said, I can see immediate worry and action being taken IF the boss knew that she was having significant issues with her husband & could be in danger. It sounds like they had a good relationship. Could Korrina have opened up to her boss?

Oh, also..,I’m assuming Annette’s bus stop was oa little traveled road? Nobody else drove by and saw her/the dog? I’m assuming they would have come forward by now.

Wow-sorry this is so long! I’ve just been wondering..this is just so strange.

Hi Y’all! I’m new, discovered this forum from the Medium article it was mentioned in. So, I’ve read every page of the posts and I have questions.

It’s been stated that Korrina & Steve had a tumultuous marriage when she disappeared. Where any of their neighbors, friends, co-workers, the plantation owners, maybe...interviewed by the police? I’m just curious if anyone mentioned Korrina saying anything like ‘I wish I could leave him!’ Or ‘He scares me sometimes’ ...or just talking about their relationship as a whole...maybe even seeing something?

One thing that stuck out to me was the fact that Korrina’s boss was the first person to become worried about her. So much so that they immediately got in the car to start a search. This seems odd and like an overreaction, regardless of how dependable of an employee K was. I have been friends with bosses, and I’m diligent about letting them know if I won’t be in or am running late....but I can’t see any of them immediately jumping off to look for me because I haven’t shown up or contacted them? Does that make sense? I feel like most people would call the person’s home & other co-workers to see if they knew anything first...then after a few hours swing by their house?

That being said, I can see immediate worry and action being taken IF the boss knew that she was having significant issues with her husband & could be in danger. It sounds like they had a good relationship. Could Korrina have opened up to her boss?

Oh, also..,I’m assuming Annette’s bus stop was oa little traveled road? Nobody else drove by and saw her/the dog? I’m assuming they would have come forward by now.

Welcome to Ws RealHausFrau, you make some very good points!

Annette Deanne Sagers – The Charley Project
Annette Deanne Sagers

• annette_deanne_sagers_1.jpg
  • annette_deanne_sagers_2.jpg
Annette, circa 1988; Age-progression to age 33 (circa 2010)

• Missing Since 10/04/1988
  • Missing From Mount Holly, South Carolina
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth 03/16/1977 (42)
  • Age 11 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'8, 95 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Red pants, a red shirt and white shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Annette has small gaps between her upper front teeth, and her ears are pierced. She had a slight speech impediment at the time of her 1988 disappearance.

Her friend on the bus saw her at the bus stop. The bus went by at 7AM because she was at one of the later stops. AT 715AM when her bus came back around to pick her up, she was not there. I have spoken with her friend.

Lost_Son I’m really confused now....you have never mentioned that Annette called family members after she went missing in this thread?? It has never been mentioned by anyone anywhere for that matter?

Feb 27 2019
Experts take new look at Berkeley County cold case of missing mother, 11-year-old girl

Sheriff Duane Lewis says, "We don’t have any bodies. and we don't have any information that leads us to believe they are still alive."

Lt. Kokinda says right now experts at College of Charleston are formulating a mathematical equation.

Detectives say CofC is calculating high probability areas where they may be buried. They're specifically looking at soil and typography. Once it's complete, CofC will help lead the search that will likely take at least a week. Without this plan, the massive search would take six months or more.

"They are developing a model where we can narrow that 6,000 acres down to a 100 or 200 acres which is a doable search,” Lewis says.

“They have drones, radar, ground penetrating radar. There are a lot of resources they have that can help us,” said Lt. Kokinda.

Detectives are also waiting on DNA testing of some items taken from the family home."
"More case information:
Berkeley County deputies say Annette’s stepfather, Steve Malinoski, abandoned his two biological children from his marriage with Korrina after their disappearance. They were later adopted.
  • Deputies say they have been in contact with the children. The boys were under the age of four when their mother and stepsister vanished and remember very little.
  • Investigators say Steve Malinoski now lives in Florida. ABC News 4 was unsuccessful tracking him down. Detectives have not interviewed him since re-opening the case. They say they want to know "all they can about the case" before speaking with him.
  • In the 1990s, a pond on the property was drained for maintenance. Deputies say a rolled-up carpet was pulled out. The plantation’s caretaker notified authorities, but it was never documented in the Malinoski/Sagers case file. The carpet was also never tested for evidence. Lt. Kokinda and Detective Lewis only learned of the carpet when they re-opened the case and visited the property and spoke with the caretaker. Detectives say there is no reason why anyone would need to dispose of carpet in the pond. It’s secluded and very few people know the pond exists. They believe it may be tied to the case. The carpet no longer exists.
If you have any information, contact the Berkeley County Cold Case Squad at coldcases@berkeleycountysc.gov or call 843-719-4668. You can remain anonymous. Detectives stress that the smallest piece of information could help crack the case."
It was not hard to find the father. Not sure why media could not. He's been in Pinellas County Jail on felony child abuse charges since august. $150,000 bond?? Is this related to Annette missing??? Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Charge Report

It was not hard to find the father. Not sure why media could not. He's been in Pinellas County Jail on felony child abuse charges since august. $150,000 bond?? Is this related to Annette missing??? Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Charge Report

Whoa! Someone needs to send that to the media and ask them to find out if it's related.
Ashley Blackstone was the reporter on the Feb, 2019 article. Here's her social media if anyone wants to message her asking for an update:
Ashley Blackstone ABC News 4
Ashley Blackstone Stoltzfus (@ashblackstone) | Twitter

MOO.

ETA: Actually, scratch that about contacting Ashley. Looks like she may be on maternity leave based on her recent posts. Maybe she can pass the info on to another reporter? A Florida based reporter would probably be better anyway... MOO.

Whoa! Someone needs to send that to the media and ask them to find out if it's related.
Ashley Blackstone was the reporter on the Feb, 2019 article. Here's her social media if anyone wants to message her asking for an update:
Ashley Blackstone ABC News 4
Ashley Blackstone Stoltzfus (@ashblackstone) | Twitter

MOO.

ETA: Actually, scratch that about contacting Ashley. Looks like she may be on maternity leave based on her recent posts. Maybe she can pass the info on to another reporter? A Florida based reporter would probably be better anyway... MOO.
Done

I asked her to advise or pass it on and if they could verify for us please let me know.

Thank you! If nothing else, maybe some intrepid reporter will decide to dig in and try to interview the step-father while he is in jail. It's far past time this case got some major media attention. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back