SC SC - Jessica Gutierrez, 4, Lexington, 6 June 1986

Search for SC girl who disappeared 35 years ago restarts | WCBD News 2

LEXINGTON, S.C. (AP) — A special team of state and federal agents has joined Lexington County deputies this week to try to solve the mystery of a 4-year-old girl who disappeared from her bedroom 35 years ago.

They are back in Jessica Gutierrez’s Lexington neighborhood to question neighbors, look for clues and review evidence in the case.

I had forgotten about this case! I remembered seeing her picture but I couldn't remember where then I looked her up with the search terms "Unsolved Mysteries": she was featured on Unsolved Mysteries: Season 2, Episode 17 after the story about Tara Calico!

Finally, her family has answers!

Does anybody happen to know if this is the man that was suspected for so long? The man who offered to confess if he got immunity?
Yep, the guy they arrested was him and he was pretty much proven to be the kidnapper decades ago but the police were too incompetent at the time to make an arrest.

Yep, the guy they arrested was him and he was pretty much proven to be the kidnapper decades ago but the police were too incompetent at the time to make an arrest.

I kinda figured that but wanted to be sure. I had always heard that it was the prosecutors that kept declining to bring charges whenever the police would bring the case to them, but either way something was terribly mishandled. I would love to know what they found in the last three months that brought the arrest.

I hope there is enough evidence. Jessica and her family deserve justice.

The sheriff who years ago threatened to stop searching for her was very unprofessional, to say the least.

May the full truth come to light.

Gray Hughes covered this case tonight

Gray Hughes video is pretty interesting in that he has dug up old newspaper articles, not just about Jessica’s disappearence, but about McDowell over the years.
One interesting thing was one article said a handprint had been found on the window sill where the intruder came in but they could find no match in a database. But McDowell was arrested for car theft in Columbia a couple months after the kidnapping. Did they not check the print against him there? Surely that would have been enough to arrest him. That is concerning.

Gray Hughes video is pretty interesting in that he has dug up old newspaper articles, not just about Jessica’s disappearence, but about McDowell over the years.
One interesting thing was one article said a handprint had been found on the window sill where the intruder came in but they could find no match in a database. But McDowell was arrested for car theft in Columbia a couple months after the kidnapping. Did they not check the print against him there? Surely that would have been enough to arrest him. That is concerning.
Yes, they checked it after he stole a vehicle and broke into another woman’s house and raped her. The prints were a match. Jessica’s mom washed the of their mobile home every night and his prints were the only ones on the window used by him to get into the home.

Yes, they checked it after he stole a vehicle and broke into another woman’s house and raped her. The prints were a match. Jessica’s mom washed the of their mobile home every night and his prints were the only ones on the window used by him to get into the home.

Oh my gosh! This is worse than I even thought! How could they ignore that!

Bittersweet -- they had his fingerprints for decades!

South Carolina man, 61, is arrested for 1986 cold case kidnapping and murder of four-year-old girl | Daily Mail Online

1/8/22

• Deputies in Lexington County have been searching for Jessica Gutierrez since her disappearance over 35 years ago
  • On Thursday, 61-year-old Thomas Eric McDowell was arrested by police in North Carolina about 20 miles from his home in Raleigh
  • McDowell is awaiting extradition and currently is sitting in a jail cell in Wake County, North Carolina
  • He was living in Lexington County when Gutierrez went missing overnight in June 1986, authorities said
52684099-10381139-image-a-54_1641623098582.jpg

Jessica Suzanne Gutierrez – The Charley Project

• jessica_suzanne_gutierrez_4.jpg
  • gutierrez_jessica_mcdowell.jpg
Jessica, Age-progression at age 32 (circa 2013); Thomas McDowell, circa 2022

Last updated January 8, 2022; picture added, details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Jessica was sleeping in a bedroom with her two sisters in her family's Lexington, South Carolina mobile home during the evening hours of June 5, 1986.

An unknown intruder or intruders entered into the house sometime between 11:30 p.m. that evening and 9:00 a.m. on June 6, the following morning. The intruder(s) apparently broke in through the living room window and removed the screen and curtains. The abductor(s) then removed Jessica from the bedroom and left the residence through the front door.

Jessica's mother discovered the crime scene and her disappearance on the morning of June 6; her six-year-old sister, Rebecca, stated she had been taken by "the man with the magic hat and the beard." She has never been heard from again.

Rebecca, now an adult, remembers seeing a man lift Jessica out of the bed and carry her away. She stated the man was able to do this without waking Jessica. Rebecca had been too frightened by what she saw to tell anyone until the next morning, when Jessica was discovered missing.

Just a few days before Jessica disappeared, her mother, Debra, had broken up with her boyfriend and kicked him out of the house for alcohol use and what she described as possessive behavior. Debra accused her ex-boyfriend of abducting Jessica, but he said he had no idea where she was. The man was questioned repeatedly by police, but never charged. Jessica's father was ruled out as a suspect in the case, as he had been living in California at the time of her abduction.

The longtime suspect in Jessica's abduction is Thomas Eric McDowell, a friend of the family who was 27 in 1986 and had served time in a North Carolina prison for rape. His fingerprint was found on the window of Jessica's bedroom. It was the only fingerprint on the window; Debra stated she cleaned the windows every night.

In 1987, McDowell allegedly told a cellmate that he had kidnapped a girl in Lexington County and buried her body in a landfill there. He mentioned that he was wearing a tall cowboy hat at the time of the kidnapping. His cellmate told authorities about his statements, and when police confronted McDowell, he offered to confess if he got immunity from prosecution for the crime. Immunity was denied and McDowell did not speak any further on the subject.

In January 2022, McDowell was charged with murder, kidnapping and first-degree burglary in Jessica's disappearance. A photo of him is posted with this case summary. Authorities haven't released much information about the evidence against him.

Debra still believes her ex-boyfriend is somehow involved in the case. The ex-boyfriend and McDowell denied knowing each other, but Debra says they met each other at a gathering several months before Jessica disappeared.

Jessica's remains have never been found, but foul play is suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama
Back