SC SC - Jessica Gutierrez, 4, Lexington, 6 June 1986

"It's one step closer to answers and justice for my sister," David Gutierrez, Jessica's brother, said.

David and his family are breathing a sigh of relief now that Thomas McDowell has been denied bond after being arrested and charged for the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Gutierrez.

The bond denial is just for the kidnapping charge. Under South Carolina law, the murder charge bond needs to be determined by a circuit court judge in the coming weeks.

Bond denied for Thomas McDowell in Jessica Gutierrez case | wltx.com

The case had gone unsolved since Jessica disappeared from her home June 6, 1986. Federal and South Carolina law enforcement officials arrived in Lexington County in September to continue investigating the case. Debra Gutierrez, Jessica’s mother, said Friday that she felt relief when she found out that someone had finally been charged in her daughter’s disappearance. ”I’m glad God brought me to see it,” she said. “I prayed he would bring me through it, and we’ve waited for this a long time.” Thomas Eric McDowell, 61, was taken into custody Thursday at 7:50 a.m. at his North White Street home in Wake Forest, N.C., by Wake Forest police officers. He is charged with murder, kidnapping and first-degree burglary in connection with Jessica’s disappearance, the Lexington County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article257109997.html
upload_2022-1-20_19-51-20.jpeg
Missing Jessica Gutierrez: North Carolina man arrested in 35-year-old cold case of girl taken from her home - News Nation USA

Last edited:
I'm glad that this scum has been accused of kidnapping Jessica. I hope they give him the death penalty, hopefully I don't know due to mechanical asphyxia or something like that... Jessica's mother still believes that the ex-boyfriend had something to do with her kidnapping since The guy quickly found out where the girls were... and Rebbeca was not wrong about the hat, besides, everything was dark... although I still have a doubt, didn't the mother hear anything? And why did she clean the windows every night? Because of a footprint, they were able to find that sick guy who kidnapped her... because she's a 5-year-old baby, her entire life lost because of these two trash guys from society...
rest in peace little jessica

fb98a5ac-4a51-4e6c-bd93-f8207f1990d5_16x9.jpg
fb98a5ac-4a51-4e6c-bd93-f8207f1990d5_750x422.jpg

"We took a fresh look at this case in September when FBI special agents and analysts assigned to its specialized Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team and prosecutors with the South Carolina Attorney General's Office came to Lexington," Lexington County Sheriff Jay Koon said at the time of McDowell's arrest. "SLED agents also joined us in reviewing initial reports and interviewing more than 125 people. Because of the work we did, coming together as a team, we were able to sort and connect more pieces of the puzzle about what happened to Jessica all those years ago."
The case will be handled by the Attorney General's Office, which has held the case since 2015.

fb98a5ac-4a51-4e6c-bd93-f8207f1990d5_16x9.jpg
fb98a5ac-4a51-4e6c-bd93-f8207f1990d5_750x422.jpg

"We took a fresh look at this case in September when FBI special agents and analysts assigned to its specialized Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team and prosecutors with the South Carolina Attorney General's Office came to Lexington," Lexington County Sheriff Jay Koon said at the time of McDowell's arrest. "SLED agents also joined us in reviewing initial reports and interviewing more than 125 people. Because of the work we did, coming together as a team, we were able to sort and connect more pieces of the puzzle about what happened to Jessica all those years ago."
The case will be handled by the Attorney General's Office, which has held the case since 2015.

Does anybody know if this trial will be televised or streamed?

Now he will face trial in the little girl’s death beginning the week of Feb. 5. She vanished from her home in the Edmund community overnight on June 6, 1986. The only clue to what happened to her came from Jessica’s then-6-year-old sister, Becky, who said she saw “the man with the magic hat and the beard” take Jessica from their shared bedroom the night before. Jessica has never been found.

Jessica’s mother, Debbie Gutierrez, said she’s mentally preparing herself to face McDowell during the trial.

On Feb. 8, after three days of testimony at the Lexington courthouse, the jury deliberated for about two hours and found the 63-year-old guilty of murder, kidnapping and first-degree burglary. Circuit Judge Debra McCaslin sentenced him to life in prison.

“This is horrific,” McCaslin said. “I believe the jury got it right.”

While the case is closed, her mother, Debra Gutierrez, said she has one more hope: to bring her baby back home

“It’s a mother’s worst nightmare and a nightmare that a sister does not wake up from,” Abee, a prosecutor with the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office, said during closing arguments.

I am so happy that this man is finally behind bars, but it is a travesty it took this long.
Since the trial wasn’t televised and the coverage wasn’t particularly detailed, it seems that McDowell was convicted pretty much with the same evidence LE had years ago. Did I miss something new that was vital for the case? The article said the fingerprint on the window was the key piece of evidence, and I’m pretty sure they had identified that fingerprint within months of Jessica’s disappearance. Please correct me if I’m remembering wrong.
Back then, if I remember correctly, the Sheriff’s department said they had enough evidence for an arrest and the solicitor said they did not. It was a very contentious and public feud. Looks like the sheriff was right.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleuthy1101