SC - Mallory Beach, 19, found deceased after boat crash, Beaufort Co, 24 Feb 2019 *Alex Murdaugh charged*

1689654956415.png

Greg Parker

Hopefully this is almost over. I remember being one of the few keeping this thread updated at the beginning of the case. A friend of a friend lost someone just like this when I was in high school, so I guess that's why it struck me. It's mind-blowing how everything ended up.

I wonder if Alex Murdaugh actually settled. I can picture him seeing a trial as an opportunity for a brief furlough from prison and another chance to be in the limelight.

IMO, both Parker and Murdaugh were going into this civil trial for Mallory's wrongful death holding on to the argument they had no liability because Paul was not responsible for causing Mallory's death (i.e., because it was never proven that Paul was driving the boat when it crashed).

In other words, if Paul was not piloting the boat, the assertion here is it makes no difference whether or not Paul purchased alcohol illegally from Parker's store because Murdaugh and Parker don't see themselves as breaching any duty to Mallory. More importantly, the settlement reached between the plaintiff and the Insurance for Parker's Kitchen does not require they admit any responsibility in the case.

Also, unlike the majority of causes of action under both criminal and civil State codes, Wrongful Death Claims have very specific elements that the plaintiff must prove to prevail in court. And given the only outcome to prevailing in a Wrongful Death Claim is a financial award/judgment against the defendant(s), in essence, it doesn't really matter whether or not Murdaugh actually settled because the lawsuit is over and Parker's insurance will be writing the check. The wrongful death case is over.

Proving Wrongful Death​

Under SC Stature, anyone who brings a wrongful death case before a court will have to prove that their family member died wrongfully, and that the defendant is responsible for that death. This is done by proving the following 4 elements:

• The defendant’s duty: The plaintiffs will have to prove that the defendant owed a duty to the deceased party. For example, if someone died wrongfully in a motor vehicle accident, it could be argued that the driver owed that person the duty to drive safely.
  • The breach of the duty: The plaintiffs must also prove that the duty owed to the deceased was breached by the defendant. This can be proved by showing how the defendant behaved in a negligent manner leading up to the accident.
  • The injury: It must be proven that the deceased party sustained their injuries during the incident in question.
  • The causation: The plaintiffs will have to prove that the injuries were caused specifically by the negligent actions of the defendant and the breach of the duty they owed to the deceased.

What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?​

Wrongful death lawsuits allow family members to seek the damages the deceased party could have sought if they had survived the defendant’s negligent behavior. They also allow family members to seek damages for economic and other losses they personally suffered as a result of the death of their loved one. Some examples of commonly awarded damages in wrongful death claims include:

• Lost wages: Families can sue for compensation the deceased would have received in a personal injury lawsuit for the income they lost due to the accident. They can also sue for an estimated income the deceased would have generated over their lifetime had they survived the accident.
  • Medical expenses: A wrongful death settlement can include compensation for the medical care they received after the accident. For example, ambulance bills, emergency room bills, and more can be covered.
  • Pain and suffering: Victims of a wrongful death may experience pain and suffering prior to their actual death. Someone who files a wrongful death lawsuit may be eligible to receive compensation similar to what the deceased would have received for their pain and suffering if they had survived.
  • Funeral expenses: Funerals are expensive, and the cost of a burial and a funeral can be reimbursed to a family member who files a wrongful death claim on behalf of the deceased.
  • Punitive damages: Punitive damages are imposed on a defendant as punishment for their negligent behavior and can be added to a settlement paid to the family members of someone who died wrongfully.

Last edited:

Good article.

Patrick Carr, attorney for Anthony Cook, explained Tuesday the full amount of the settlement is $18.5 million. The Parker's Kitchen company will be responsible for paying $18 million, and the remaining $500,000 will come from a boat insurance policy Alex Murdaugh had on the boat involved in the crash, Carr said.

From that money, Carr says $15 million will be due to the Beach family, $1.1 million to Morgan Doughty, $1 million each to Connor Cook and Anthony Cook, and $400,000 to Miley Altman. That all depends on final approval of the settlement agreement by the courts, Carr added.

The vehemence with which Parker and his attorney fought the lawsuit — something Tinsley attributes to Parker's ego — ultimately sparked a second lawsuit by Tinsley and the Beach family claiming Parker was behind a smear campaign against them meant to intentionally inflict emotional distress.

The second lawsuit, which is still pending in Hampton County, alleges Parker and his legal team went so far as to intentionally release to the public confidential investigation photos that showed Mallory Beach's dead body.

Tinsley said Sunday the Beach family fully intends to pursue judgment against Parker for that and other grievances against the family, along with two of Parker's attorneys and two private investigators.

Drew Tripp
@DrewTripp

Two more: 1. A spokesperson for Parker's asked me to clarify their insurance carriers are paying the settlement, not the company itself. 2. The boat crash settlement is NOT finalized just yet. It still requires court approval. I'm told the proposal could be filed late this week.
4:10 PM · Jul 18, 2023

^^ These two -- Greg Parker and his attorney, PK Shere, truly deserve each other. As if anybody ever believed that Parker and/or his Company was directly going to pay the $18K settlement!

Mediators (excluding PK Shere) settled this case on a Sunday because I don't doubt Parker's Insurer said enough is enough -- we're going to stop the bleeding on your litigation and court challenges, or you are going to find yourself uninsured. IMO, Greg Parker is not wired right... just sayin. MOO

IMO, both Parker and Murdaugh were going into this civil trial for Mallory's wrongful death holding on to the argument they had no liability because Paul was not responsible for causing Mallory's death (i.e., because it was never proven that Paul was driving the boat when it crashed).

In other words, if Paul was not piloting the boat, the assertion here is it makes no difference whether or not Paul purchased alcohol illegally from Parker's store because Murdaugh and Parker don't see themselves as breaching any duty to Mallory. More importantly, the settlement reached between the plaintiff and the Insurance for Parker's Kitchen does not require they admit any responsibility in the case.

Also, unlike the majority of causes of action under both criminal and civil State codes, Wrongful Death Claims have very specific elements that the plaintiff must prove to prevail in court. And given the only outcome to prevailing in a Wrongful Death Claim is a financial award/judgment against the defendant(s), in essence, it doesn't really matter whether or not Murdaugh actually settled because the lawsuit is over and Parker's insurance will be writing the check. The wrongful death case is over.

Proving Wrongful Death​

Under SC Stature, anyone who brings a wrongful death case before a court will have to prove that their family member died wrongfully, and that the defendant is responsible for that death. This is done by proving the following 4 elements:

• The defendant’s duty: The plaintiffs will have to prove that the defendant owed a duty to the deceased party. For example, if someone died wrongfully in a motor vehicle accident, it could be argued that the driver owed that person the duty to drive safely.
  • The breach of the duty: The plaintiffs must also prove that the duty owed to the deceased was breached by the defendant. This can be proved by showing how the defendant behaved in a negligent manner leading up to the accident.
  • The injury: It must be proven that the deceased party sustained their injuries during the incident in question.
  • The causation: The plaintiffs will have to prove that the injuries were caused specifically by the negligent actions of the defendant and the breach of the duty they owed to the deceased.

What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?​

Wrongful death lawsuits allow family members to seek the damages the deceased party could have sought if they had survived the defendant’s negligent behavior. They also allow family members to seek damages for economic and other losses they personally suffered as a result of the death of their loved one. Some examples of commonly awarded damages in wrongful death claims include:

• Lost wages: Families can sue for compensation the deceased would have received in a personal injury lawsuit for the income they lost due to the accident. They can also sue for an estimated income the deceased would have generated over their lifetime had they survived the accident.
  • Medical expenses: A wrongful death settlement can include compensation for the medical care they received after the accident. For example, ambulance bills, emergency room bills, and more can be covered.
  • Pain and suffering: Victims of a wrongful death may experience pain and suffering prior to their actual death. Someone who files a wrongful death lawsuit may be eligible to receive compensation similar to what the deceased would have received for their pain and suffering if they had survived.
  • Funeral expenses: Funerals are expensive, and the cost of a burial and a funeral can be reimbursed to a family member who files a wrongful death claim on behalf of the deceased.
  • Punitive damages: Punitive damages are imposed on a defendant as punishment for their negligent behavior and can be added to a settlement paid to the family members of someone who died wrongfully.
Good points, @Seattle1, thank you.

I may be uninformed, but I have never understood why the testimony of the other people on the boat would not add up to proof Paul was piloting the boat when it crashed, and have a lot of questions about that.

IIRC, the Murdaughs (AM and his father?) were on video in the ER, and according to one or more of the survivors, they were telling some of the other survivors to say Paul wasn't piloting the boat.

But does that mean the other people on the boat were all saying the same thing (it wasn't Paul?) or each a different thing?

Is it murky because they were maybe inebriated and/or had concussions and/or amnesia from injuries sustained in the crash?

I thought there was video of Paul drunkenly getting off the boat and going to the liquor store, having come from behind the wheel of the boat, which meant that he was the main pilot that evening as it was his family's boat, and maybe no one else had permission to drive it?

Why wouldn't these known facts, AFAIK, add up to his family being at least partially responsible for Mallory's death / considered contributing factors in her wrongful death?
  • Paul's family owns the boat
  • Paul drove the boat at least most of the time that night as the host of the other people
  • Paul was underaged and inebriated while operating his family's vehicle under the influence of alcohol, all illegal and his family's responsibility since he was underaged/not an adult legally responsible for his own actions
  • At least one of the other people on the boat testified he was piloting the boat when it crashed, and he was acting all crazy (he was his bad alter ego Timmy)
Was Paul's testimony that someone else was piloting when the crash occurred?

I thought at least some of the other people on the boat told LE straight off that Paul was piloting the boat at the time of the crash and Mallory's death.

It has never made sense to me that there isn't proof he was piloting the boat, unless it's something that has been sealed or hasn't come out yet in the context of the suit.

All MOO, and TIA if there's anything major that I'm missing and you can enlighten me.

RE: Paul driving the boat. There were only 2 possibilities for who was driving the boat ..Paul or Conner. Mark Tinsley testified during the trial that a digitial reenactment was done showing where everyone was positioned in the boat according to their statements,injuries and damage to the boat. Conner's injuries to his face/jaw placed him to the right of the boat console and not at the wheel. Connoer's injuries were consistent with the damage in that area of the boat.

I may be uninformed, but I have never understood why the testimony of the other people on the boat would not add up to proof Paul was piloting the boat when it crashed, and have a lot of questions about that.

IIRC, the Murdaughs (AM and his father?) were on video in the ER, and according to one or more of the survivors, they were telling some of the other survivors to say Paul wasn't piloting the boat.

But does that mean the other people on the boat were all saying the same thing (it wasn't Paul?) or each a different thing?

Is it murky because they were maybe inebriated and/or had concussions and/or amnesia from injuries sustained in the crash?

I thought there was video of Paul drunkenly getting off the boat and going to the liquor store, having come from behind the wheel of the boat, which meant that he was the main pilot that evening as it was his family's boat, and maybe no one else had permission to drive it?

Why wouldn't these known facts, AFAIK, add up to his family being at least partially responsible for Mallory's death / considered contributing factors in her wrongful death?
  • Paul drove the boat at least most of the time that night as the host of the other people
  • Paul was underaged and inebriated while operating his family's vehicle under the influence of alcohol, all illegal and his family's responsibility since he was underaged/not an adult legally responsible for his own actions
  • At least one of the other people on the boat testified he was piloting the boat when it crashed, and he was acting all crazy (he was his bad alter ego Timmy)

I thought at least some of the other people on the boat told LE straight off that Paul was piloting the boat at the time of the crash and Mallory's death.

It has never made sense to me that there isn't proof he was piloting the boat, unless it's something that has been sealed or hasn't come out yet in the context of the suit.

All MOO, and TIA if there's anything major that I'm missing and you can enlighten me.
Thanks for your post @Twistinginthewind. In response, I offer the following:

On April 18, 2019, Paul was indicted and charged with three felony counts of boating under the influence, including causing the death of Mallory and seriously injuring two other passengers. Paul pleaded not guilty to all the charges and was out on bond awaiting trial.

Unfortunately, AM took Paul's life before the evidence could be presented in court, including the testimony of the surviving witnesses, and with Paul gone and unable to challenge his accusers, the Court dropped the charges against him.

If I recall correctly, after the boat crash, Paul first contacted his grandfather Randolph Sr, and told him that Connor Cook was driving the boat when it crashed (Paul referred to Connor by a nickname). According to MM's sister's testimony, MM went to her grave also believing that Paul was not driving the boat.

In 2021, Connor sued AM for trying to frame him as the driver of the boat.

AM's boat was insured with a maximum policy limit of $500K. Reportedly, the full policy amount was paid to the plaintiffs in the settlement.

In January 2023, a judge approved a settlement between the family of Mallory and the estate of MM. (At this time, the Beach family also dropped Buster from the lawsuit).

Tinsley confirmed in a follow-up conversation on Tuesday, July 18, the full amount of the settlement exceeds a $15 million sum initially reported, with additional money also to be divvied among four other boat crash survivors: Miley Altman, Morgan Doughty, Anthony Cook and Connor Cook.

Patrick Carr, attorney for Anthony Cook, explained Tuesday the full amount of the settlement is $18.5 million. The Parker's Kitchen company will be responsible for paying $18 million, and the remaining $500,000 will come from a boat insurance policy Alex Murdaugh had on the boat involved in the crash, Carr said.

From that money, Carr says $15 million will be due to the Beach family, $1.1 million to Morgan Doughty, $1 million each to Connor Cook and Anthony Cook, and $400,000 to Miley Altman. That all depends on final approval of the settlement agreement by the courts, Carr added.

Sun, July 16th 2023, 7:02 PM EDT

Attachments

• 1689971041720.png
    1689971041720.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 0

It was reported that CC had taken over the wheel for a very short time during the boat ride, I think it was when Paul was stripping his clothes off (aka Drunk Timmy) and was sitting on the driving bench beside Paul that night, even though I have no doubt that Paul was driving at the moment of the crash.

AM and Grandpa M were at the hospital trying to keep the kids from discussing the incident with LE. There is video of AM walking around with his gratuitous Solicitors 'badge' clipped onto his pocket that was shown during AM's trial. Oh, the sense of entitlement runs deep in this family.

MOO

Maybe, but they had been steadily drinking all night.

I think all parties were responsible in some way: BM for giving PM his ID, Parkers for selling the alcohol to PM, AM (and other adults frankly) for allowing PM to drive that boat home intoxicated and in severe fog late at night, and the restaurant for serving another shot or was is 2?

A tragedy of errors that claimed the life of a wonderful, young woman way too soon. The money doesn't bring Mallory back, but maybe it will prevent some others from repeating this behavior. IDK

MOO
and wasn't he paying with maggie's credit card and blessing?

Why is Miley Altman getting so much less than everyone else (except for Mallory’s family)?

This was initially a Wrongful Death Claim for the death of Mallory where a civil claim under this Statute is very specific about the group of persons who have standing to file the claim, and also what costs and damages the plaintiff can seek to recover.

As to the other plaintiffs Morgan Doughty, Connor Cook, Anthony Cook, and Miley Altman who have all been lumped together by MSM under the headlines attributed to the Beach family's Wrongful Death Claim, none of the teens are even part of that action, and each have their own lawsuit.

More specifically, the four teens have each filed Personal Injury (PI) lawsuits against the defendants Murdaugh and Parker.

The purpose of a PI lawsuit is to recover financial compensation for the losses suffered because of the accident, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
However, South Carolina's personal injury laws allow someone to recover both actual and punitive damages.

A punitive award is separate and apart from actual damages. Instead of looking solely at the harm you endured,
punitive damages factor in how much the defendant should be punished monetarily for its recklessness.

I suppose the good thing about MSM lumping the teens' lawsuits under the Beach's Wrongful Death Claim, it afforded them some privacy.

Except for Connor & Anthony Cook. Maybe because they were the first to sue Parker and Murdaugh, providing us a fairly good idea from MSM about the reckless allegations made against the defendants--especially for punitive damages including 'Paul's Problem Drinking,' 'Not the First Time,' and 'Obstruction of Justice' (see news link). I think it's fair to assume the other teens seeking punitive damages followed after the Cook's -- making the same negligence/reckless allegations.

Finally, getting back to OPs question of why Miley Altman only received $400K versus $1.1 million to Morgan Doughty, and $1 million each to Connor Cook and Anthony Cook, if I remember correctly, Miley was the passenger who required little if any medical treatment after the accident. And In order to prevail in a PI lawsuit, you have to prove your actual damages (and that the defendant is liable for your injuries).

If Miley wasn't injured and didn't incur medical expenses in the accident, it follows she can't claim punitive damages which I believe represents up to $500K received by the others. IMO, I think Miley's award probably represents special damages or pain & suffering.

Also, since this was a settlement being paid by Insurance, they have certain ratios they apply to the three types of damages (general, special, and punitive) that all Personal Injury Lawyers know in advance of negotiation. MOO

Connor Cook & Anthony Cook's Lawsuits

On Thursday, Cook — whose girlfriend Mallory Beach was killed in the crash — filed a personal injury suit in Hampton County Courthouse listing Gregory M. Parker Inc., Parker’s Corporation, Parker’s 55, Parker’s Kitchen, Tajeeha Cohen and Alex Murdaugh as defendants.

This is at least the seventh civil lawsuit filed against Alex Murdaugh since 2019.

Parker’s and Murdaugh are facing two other lawsuits in the Feb. 24, 2019 boat crash — one from Mallory Beach’s estate and one from Anthony’s cousin, Connor Cook, who was also injured in the crash. Murdaugh is also facing four other lawsuits accusing him of financial crimes and professional misdeeds.

Posted at 12:38 PM, July 28, 2023 and last updated 12:38 PM, July 28, 2023

YORK, S.C. (AP) — A fatal boat crash believed to have spun the downfall of Alex Murdaugh has resulted in a $15 million settlement in a lawsuit against a convenience store that sold beer to the disgraced attorney’s underage son.

A judge on Thursday approved the deal between the victim’s family and Parker’s Kitchen, according to local media reports. An investigation revealed that a clerk for the Southern chain did not stop Paul Murdaugh from using his older brother’s ID to buy beer on the same February 2019 night that authorities said the 19-year-old steered a boat into a bridge in Beaufort County, South Carolina.

On Friday, July 28, the Court approved the earlier negotiated settlement to the Beach Family for the Wrongful Death of Mallory, and the subsequent personal injury lawsuits filed by the four teens injured in the boat crash (Connor, Anthony, Morgan, and Miley).

In South Carolina, the law governing personal injury lawsuits provides for plaintiffs to recover both actual damages and punitive damages. Punitive damages are essentially punishment with a dollar sign$, intended to discourage and correct the defendant's reckless and negligent behavior, proven by the plaintiff.

Also, I'm aware Parker's Convenience had much support here and on other forums over selling alcohol to Paul, a minor because the store clerk checked Paul's ID. However, the allegations put forth in the lawsuits show Parker's focus on quick and speedy transactions was reckless. In other words, instead of the quick transaction, had the clerk read the ID, it would have been evident the ID presented by Paul actually belonged to Buster-- and was being used because he was underage.

Although the lawsuits did not go to trial, and a settlement was reached by the Insurers for Murdaugh and Parker, the lawsuits by Anthony and Connor Cook, obtained by MSM, alleged the following to support punitive damages.

12/6/2021

Paul’s ‘Drinking Problem’​

Anthony Cook, who was injured in the crash, accuses Murdaugh, the owner of the boat, of negligently entrusting the boat to Paul, who was “known to have dangerous drinking behavior and boating tendencies.”

The lawsuit further asserts that Alex Murdaugh not only knew about his son’s “proclivity” for underage drinking, he was aware that Paul routinely used his older brother’s driver’s license and his mother’s credit card to illegally purchase alcohol and “in turn consume the alcohol to the point of intoxication.”

Alex Murdaugh, the suit says, repeatedly “condoned” his son’s excessive drinking and dangerous driving.

When the crash occurred in 2019, Alex Murdaugh “knew that Paul had a drinking problem” and that Paul was “unfit, incompetent, dangerous and reckless.”

Paul, who was murdered in June 2021 along with his mother, was facing three felony Boating Under the Influence Charges at the time of his death.

‘Not the First Time’​

Before setting out on his father’s boat Feb. 23, 2019, Paul purchased alcohol at Parker’s 55 in Jasper County using the license of his older brother, Buster, who was considerably taller and heavier than Paul.

Cook’s lawsuit says that Parker’s and Cohen, the cashier who sold the alcohol to Paul that day, would have known an illegal alcohol sale was occurring had Cohen followed Parker’s corporate policies, which would have “triggered further inquiry or investigation” into the transaction.

“Any level of reasonable scrutiny engaged in by the Defendants herein would have led to the conclusion that this sale of alcohol should have been refused by Parker’s and Cohen.”

The lawsuit notes that this “was not the first time these Defendants had sold alcohol to an underaged customer” and that Parker’s has also sold alcohol to customers who “were known to be already intoxicated or drunk” in violation of Parker’s corporate policies and the laws of South Carolina.

The suit includes a reference to a 2016 case on Hilton Head Island, in which Parker’s and its employees sold alcohol to an already intoxicated customer who didn’t have an ID.

“Rather than deny the sale, Parker’s and its employees completed the sale of alcohol … by encouraging (the intoxicated customer without an ID) to send in a third party to purchase it for him.”

Once that sale was completed, the customer “drove away from Parker’s and struck a tree at a high rate of speed, resulting in multiple fatalities.”

According to Cook’s lawsuit, Parker’s acknowledged their culpability after they were sued in that case but that they also told the participants in that action that they “really didn’t care much about that lawsuit, and they never made any changes, improvements, modifications, or increased attention to proper employee training and safe alcohol sales policies and procedures.”

Although Parker’s has policies and procedures related to safe alcohol sales, Cook’s suit says, Parker’s “routinely violates” these policies and state law “because they are more concerned with the speed of the customer transaction and the financial profits to be realized from alcohol sales rather than safe and responsible alcohol sales.”

Parker’s emphasis on the speed of sales transactions “is part of a deliberate corporate design that is grounded in a profit motive” and “minimizes or eliminates the opportunity for proper examination of a customer’s eligibility to purchase alcohol, thereby placing the public at large at risk of harm.”

“Turning a blind eye toward these dangers,” the suit says, are “societal problems that cause many unnecessary injuries and deaths every year.”

UPDATED ON: JULY 18, 2023 / 4:07 PM / CBS NEWS

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Just Cami
Back