GUILTY SD - Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg, involved in fatal car hit and run, Sioux Falls, Sept 2020 *plea *Impeached*

Not an exhaustive search, my Google-Fu is relatively strong, obviously this isn't South Dakota's website, but certainly a start:

Even if a pedestrian is crossing illegally, you must still yield the right of way in the interests of safety.

The Guide to Right-of-Way Laws in South Dakota

How in the world did that guy have a license??? Did he resign today???

JMHO YMMV LRR

If you don't yield the right of way because someone dashes out in front of your car & you can't stop in time, I doubt if you would be charged. Not saying this is what happen, just pointing out the fact that you hit someone doesn't mean a crime was comitted.

From @JerseyGirl ’s first link a bit upthread:
His Facebook account reveals photos he has taken or stills of dash cam video while driving.”
I sure hope that there is evidence he had a dash cam!! If he destroyed that evidence, that is evidence in and of itself.
Just need someone to prosecute... because not much hope of that in SD with a GOP heavyweight IMHO.

I sure hope that there is evidence he had a dash cam!! If he destroyed that evidence, that is evidence in and of itself.
Just need someone to prosecute... because not much hope of that in SD with a GOP heavyweight IMHO.

Thats why many want him prosecuted. jmo

The article is slightly misleading though, because it says the images were either pictures he took while driving OR stills from a dash cam. Well if they’re stills, he likely captured and posted them from a computer or something, not while driving. I think you have to remove a memory card of some sort from a dash cam and use a computer or tablet to edit and share footage. I’m not certain on this so JMO.

The Pennington, Minnehaha and Beadle county state’s attorneys will help a local prosecutor evaluate evidence and explore possible charges against Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg after he hit and killed a man with his car near Highmore.

Emily Sovell will ultimately decide whether or not to press charges. Sovell received her law degree and several honors from the University of South Dakota in 2001 before going on to clerk at the South Dakota Supreme Court. Ravnsborg also graduated from USD in 2011. Sovell is the deputy state’s attorney in Hyde County where Merlin Voorhees is the state’s attorney. Voorhees is Sovell's father.

She did not return messages asking if she has any friendships or working relations with Ravnsborg and the Hyde County Sheriff, and why she, rather than Vorhees, is handling the Ravnsborg case.

Ravnsborg said in a statement that he thought he hit a deer that night but realized he killed a man when he searched the site and found the man's body the next morning while on his way to return the car he borrowed from the local sheriff.

Pennington County State’s Attorney Vargo to help with Ravnsborg case

The Pennington, Minnehaha and Beadle county state’s attorneys will help a local prosecutor evaluate evidence and explore possible charges against Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg after he hit and killed a man with his car near Highmore.

Emily Sovell will ultimately decide whether or not to press charges. Sovell received her law degree and several honors from the University of South Dakota in 2001 before going on to clerk at the South Dakota Supreme Court. Ravnsborg also graduated from USD in 2011. Sovell is the deputy state’s attorney in Hyde County where Merlin Voorhees is the state’s attorney. Voorhees is Sovell's father.

She did not return messages asking if she has any friendships or working relations with Ravnsborg and the Hyde County Sheriff, and why she, rather than Vorhees, is handling the Ravnsborg case.

Ravnsborg said in a statement that he thought he hit a deer that night but realized he killed a man when he searched the site and found the man's body the next morning while on his way to return the car he borrowed from the local sheriff.

Apparently Deputy DA Sovell and Ravnsborg were at law school together. Shouldn’t she recuse herself?

I've not read anything that would support a manslaughter charge.

From the condition of Ravnsborg’s car after the accident (if you have seen photos of the windshield), there is no possible way that no deer hair being embedded in the windshield, and what was embedded in the windshield, left any doubt that an animal was not involved in the accident. Ravnsborg should have been arrested and interrogated immediately. Anyone else would have been. It appears that Boever’s body was intentionally left overnight in the ditch, to add weight to the deer alibi.

Apparently Deputy DA Sovell and Ravnsborg were at law school together. Shouldn’t she recuse herself?
She graduated in 2001; he graduated in 2011.

She should answer the question about whether they have personal or professional relationships, or whether her father-in-law the state's attorney does. And in if she or he does, she should recuse herself for that.

Crash experts question Ravnsborg’s car-deer explanation and raise concerns of distracted driving

An experienced traffic-accident reconstruction expert is casting doubt on the claim made by South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg that he thought he hit a deer with his car the night of Sept. 12 when in fact he had struck and killed a man.

After viewing an image of the site where Ravnsborg hit and killed 55-year-old Joseph Boever, reading articles about the incident and viewing a photo of Ravsnborg’s vehicle taken after the crash, Kurt Weiss, a mechanical engineer who has 34 years of experience in reconstructing hundreds of car accidents, said it is highly improbable that Ravnsborg would not have known he’d hit a man unless he was distracted and not looking at the road at the time of the collision.

“If he [Ravnsborg] is looking forward and had the headlights on, it would be easy to discern if it’s someone’s jeans and a flannel shirt versus a beige-colored deer,” Weiss said. “But if he’s looking down or to the left and he blasts something, you might not know what you hit. But how could he not; look at the hole in the windshield.”

“It would be easy to tell the difference; even at 100 mph, you would be able to tell the difference between an erect human versus a deer, no question,” Weiss said, “and that would be part of the interrogation of Mr. Ravnsborg.”

Crash experts question Ravnsborg’s car-deer explanation and raise concerns of distracted driving

An experienced traffic-accident reconstruction expert is casting doubt on the claim made by South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg that he thought he hit a deer with his car the night of Sept. 12 when in fact he had struck and killed a man.

After viewing an image of the site where Ravnsborg hit and killed 55-year-old Joseph Boever, reading articles about the incident and viewing a photo of Ravsnborg’s vehicle taken after the crash, Kurt Weiss, a mechanical engineer who has 34 years of experience in reconstructing hundreds of car accidents, said it is highly improbable that Ravnsborg would not have known he’d hit a man unless he was distracted and not looking at the road at the time of the collision.

“If he [Ravnsborg] is looking forward and had the headlights on, it would be easy to discern if it’s someone’s jeans and a flannel shirt versus a beige-colored deer,” Weiss said. “But if he’s looking down or to the left and he blasts something, you might not know what you hit. But how could he not; look at the hole in the windshield.”

“It would be easy to tell the difference; even at 100 mph, you would be able to tell the difference between an erect human versus a deer, no question,” Weiss said, “and that would be part of the interrogation of Mr. Ravnsborg.”
Also this... Bbm Experts question Ravnsborg's explanation about fatal accident
The broken windshield of Ravnsborg’s 2011 Ford Taurus would likely have contained clothing fibers, human skin or hair that could have indicated to Ravnsborg or Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek that Ravnsborg hit a person and not a deer. Likewise, a deer likely would have left hair, hide or bone fragments in the broken windshield or on the front of the car to indicate an animal was struck.

“A jagged glass edge is going to catch some fibers, and for me, as an experienced reconstructionist, if you look at the glass edge, you know the difference between a human and a deer,” Weiss said. “It would be very apparent.”

Not an exhaustive search, my Google-Fu is relatively strong, obviously this isn't South Dakota's website, but certainly a start:

Even if a pedestrian is crossing illegally, you must still yield the right of way in the interests of safety.

The Guide to Right-of-Way Laws in South Dakota

How in the world did that guy have a license??? Did he resign today???

JMHO YMMV LRR

Was not aware of the information in the article I am linking, but some of it seems to conflict with what you have found (which actually seems quite normal).

Apparently SD laws favor drivers in pedestrian/vehicle collisions.

SD News Watch: State's criminal & civil traffic laws favor drivers over pedestrians in collisions

There is a duty, however, to render aid.

Just catching up on this case after reading about it in the news a while back. Really surprising that no charges have been brought. It seems pretty obvious he broke the law. The skid marks on the shoulder of the road at the accident scene show, at minimum, failure to control the vehicle.

All the back and forth over 2 days, searching and finding the victim, but not calling 911 seems really suspicious. Perhaps he was waiting for his BAC to go down.

BTW, did this happen on a NA Reservation?

Was not aware of the information in the article I am linking, but some of it seems to conflict with what you have found (which actually seems quite normal).

Apparently SD laws favor drivers in pedestrian/vehicle collisions.

SD News Watch: State's criminal & civil traffic laws favor drivers over pedestrians in collisions

There is a duty, however, to render aid.
UGH! Not good.
However, I do think the investigation will certainly show recklessness. "Proving that Ravnsborg behaved recklessly prior to the collision — another way to bring criminal charges against him — would require a confession or clear evidence that Ravnsborg ignored other people’s safety in some way that caused the collision, Rensch said."

- The tire skid marks indicate he had already crossed well over the white line and rumble strip before hitting the breaks
-The whole in the windsheild is in the passenger side which again suggests to me that the victim was well off the roadway when hit.
- The length of the skid marks indicate excessive speed.

And as far as rendering aid, it seems it should have been clear he hit a human and it sounds like the body was only 2 feet from the road pretty much exactly where one might expect it to be if thrown from the front of the vehicle after a high speed crash followed by breaking. Sheriff has a lot to answer for IMO as well. He should have looked at the glass and seen indications and looked a bit harder, longer or had fellow officers come back and look. https://www.crimeonline.com/2020/09/17/relative-finds-skid-marks-pool-of-blood-at-site-of-fatal-car-crash-where-south-dakota-attorney-general-said-he-hit-a-deer/

I am of the opinion that the Sheriff might have helped him hide the body in the trunk of the car he took home. I say this because I think the body was found too close to the roadway not have been seen--near a debris field and obvious skid marks. That possibility elevates this case to something quite dark indeed. I hope investigators are examining the trunk and possible manipulation of the body as part of the evidence. Leaving the body in the ditch for someone else to find would not comport with his carefully crafted alibi. He definitely knew he hit a man, by screams alone surely. But my goodness, the windshield. Will be interesting to see if they cleaned up fiber and blood evidence in the Taurus.

Just catching up on this case after reading about it in the news a while back. Really surprising that no charges have been brought. It seems pretty obvious he broke the law. The skid marks on the shoulder of the road at the accident scene show, at minimum, failure to control the vehicle.

All the back and forth over 2 days, searching and finding the victim, but not calling 911 seems really suspicious. Perhaps he was waiting for his BAC to go down.

Do you have a link for not calling 911?

Here’s a vid that shows the skid marks. What is also very clear is the flat, open, recently mowed terrain. How the h*ll does a sober AG and local sheriff walking around with flashlights miss a body along that road? How “early” did he go back the next day- shocked to find a body? What was the victim wearing that would have blended so well into mowed grass? None of AG JR’s story seems credible to me. Moo
Video: See where a fatal crash involving AG Ravnsborg occurred

Well, the office staff says that he did call 911:

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg reported hitting deer after fatal crash: Investigators

but I cannot find LE confirmation.

The article I read at the link above said he didn't call 911 until later, could be a reporting error.

Looks like there is some disagreement about the reporting/calling 911. From your link above.

Ravnsborg's office has said he immediately called 911 after the accident and did not realize he had hit a man until his body was found. The Department of Public Safety issued a statement Monday that said only that Ravnsborg told the Hyde County Sheriff's Office that he had hit a deer and did not say whether he reported the crash in a 911 call.

I'd really like to know if this hit and run happened on the nearby reservation and if the victim was NA. There are odd and sometimes unfortunate ways the law is applied (or isn't) WRT Native Americans who are victims of crimes at the hands of white people.

Savanna's Act passes US House, heads to Donald Trump's desk

Last edited:
Here’s a vid that shows the skid marks. What is also very clear is the flat, open, recently mowed terrain. How the h*ll does a sober AG and local sheriff walking around with flashlights miss a body along that road? How “early” did he go back the next day- shocked to find a body? What was the victim wearing that would have blended so well into mowed grass? None of AG JR’s story seems credible to me. Moo
Video: See where a fatal crash involving AG Ravnsborg occurred

I couldn't make sense of the video.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018